Aliens: Colonial Marines Review - Game Over, Man

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Furioso said:
3 Stars? Huh, this is the most positive review I've seen so far. Everyone else is setting fire to the thing. I'm disappointed myself, I was hoping this would be a great game, but I guess not.

Prepare to be amazed... http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
MikeWehner said:
Furioso said:
3 Stars? Huh, this is the most positive review I've seen so far. Everyone else is setting fire to the thing. I'm disappointed myself, I was hoping this would be a great game, but I guess not.

Prepare to be amazed... http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/
I actually did see that, there's always one of these reviews floating around for every bad game, but I'm pretty sure this guy has been payed off or something, since he calls it a "loving homage" while everyone else is saying it decimates the Aliens continuity

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
DoctorObviously said:
Aliens is kinda like Star Wars now. There are only a handful of good installments for the franchise (Alien, Aliens) and the rest is crap.
Blunderboy said:
This is disappointing. I love Aliens and had high hopes for this game.

And my post makes this kind of confusing, what.
I don't know what's weirder... the identical avatars (short of one being a gif) or that the younger account has 3 times the posts...

This whole post section is messing with my head...
I have three times as much to say. :p
It is a bit freaky. ;)

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Such a shame. I wasn't expecting the game to be great or anything; if it were just decent I'd probably be playing it now. I'm not saying I'll never play it, but I don't think it's worth the price of admission right now

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Regardless of the bombing reviews (they never usually ever sway my view or opinion) I'm still going to grab this on Thursday and give it a go.

Besides I like AVP 2010 even though their multiplayer felt shoddy and the marines campaign felt it could have done with more weapons.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Furioso said:
Actually, there's a four-star review here but they do seem to be few and far between. Still - the Escapist star ratings system is fairly clear - three stars is appropriate for a game that's fun in places but flawed without being actually technically broken.

Nov 24, 2010
and how are the womyn? are there womyn? i asked because-well alien without women feels very strange for me i think..
i dont have any money for mediocre-shootes, far cry3 is waiting for me

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Furioso said:
Actually, there's a four-star review here but they do seem to be few and far between. Still - the Escapist star ratings system is fairly clear - three stars is appropriate for a game that's fun in places but flawed without being actually technically broken.
Fair enough, from what I've seen most people are saying that it is broken, for example
That's supposed to be an enemy soldier... Of course, that type of thing might not have been what this reviewer experienced.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
I guess I'll wait till the $5 steam deal for some coop with a friend. Its a shame, but as an alien franchise fan, I'm used to disappointment.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
spookydom said:
Ummm.....I'm actually enjoying it so far. Could have been better but don't think it is deserving the bashing it's getting. Not disapointed in my pre order and having fun playing co-op. Have owned every Aliens game since my Amstrad 464 days. Would have preferd Ai like in the original AVP 1 and 2 but it's not as good. Am I the only one who's enjoying it or what?
i used to love that aliens exploration game on the amstrad. creepy as all hell too
http://youtu.be/L4qd-9CvnlU

Ha Ha! Just had to Y-Tube that bad boy. Just hearing the music again gave me a little chill:)

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
There's a saying I learned: "Someone pick up the phone, because I fucking called it."

I kind of expected it, there are things that we expect from movie based games and then there's what the developer wants to do. They are two different things and it disappoints me. Aliens will always be a good movie to me, but as a game I always pass on them.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Furioso said:
I actually did see that, there's always one of these reviews floating around for every bad game, but I'm pretty sure this guy has been payed off or something, since he calls it a "loving homage" while everyone else is saying it decimates the Aliens continuity

Apparently they retconned Hicks' death somehow. This is a move that I am just fine with, but I can easily see how someone else (especially someone who liked Alien 3) would regard it as a terrible attack on continuity.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Oh wow.

I actually pre-ordered this when I woke up this morning. Mostly out of boredom, I figured it would be an average game with flaws. Seems its just a flawed game. Meh.

It's getting slammed from everyone, one of the worst Metacritic averages for any "popular" game I've ever seen.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mike and I spent much of the day discussing this game. There was rage. So much rage.

The multiplayer is a lot of fun, though, so as long as you're fine with the game COMPLETELY BETRAYING CANON, you'll have a fun enough time.

Oh, and the AI is really fond of walking in front of your gun.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Even as a huge Aliens fan I took the recommendation of a friend of mine who worked as a bug tester, he said don't buy it and I am glad I trusted him. It looks like yet another half arsed game trying to get by on the reputation of the series rather than putting any effort into it and making it stand out as a game on it's own.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
It really is a pity that it's turned out this badly. But it's hardly surprising.

On the plus side...

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Disappointing. I'm sure I'll still play it. I'm a budget gamer anyway with a back log of games so I was never going to pick this up soon. All the more reason to wait for a steam sale. Especially if it only lasts 6 - 8 hours. I dislike it when I can potentially beat a game in one sitting if I have nothing better to do that day.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I have a great love for Alien and Aliens... but everything since then, and I do mean EVERYTHING, has been disappointing. Aliens 3, Alien: Resurrection, Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, Prometheus...

Would anybody care to tell me how Aliens: Colonial Marines ruins the canon? Because, at this point, that's a mighty impressive thing to accomplish.