Aliens in America

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Aliens in America

MovieBob interviews Simon Pegg and Nick Frost from Paul.

Read Full Article

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
This is on the list of movies to make sure I don't miss when they come to my area. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are such awesome guys.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
"In addition to Wiig, they were also glad to get to work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)"

Seth Rogen was born in Vancouver. Unless you are using the term to describe someone from North America then you fudgied up.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Been a fan of their work since SPACED, their enthusiasm for all aspects of nerd culture has always been the main reason I still continue to love their work. I actually had a moment to talk to Simon at the MCM Expo before Hot Fuzz was released. I can't really remember exactly what was said (it was mostly about SPACED and the first time I saw him on T.V. in a cough syrup ad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951c-j0Mv7s]) but I remember him being pretty down-to-earth and a nerd just like everyone else there.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Correction corner: Spaced was a Channel 4 show, produced by LWT (now absorbed into ITV Productions) and what was then the Paramount Comedy Channel (which is now known as Comedy Central). I have the box set, I should know these things.

(UK folks: If you haven't seen Spaced, it's all on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/show?p=1qnQMXP-Eqg&tracker=show_v1]. US folks: you've got Hulu, stop whinging.)

Insrg

May 20, 2010
I don't think Frost actually went to Vancouver for the Land of the Dead shoot, pretty sure it was just Pegg and Wright.

N3Burgener

Feb 10, 2010
Saulkar said:
"In addition to Wiig, they were also glad to get to work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)"

Seth Rogen was born in Vancouver. Unless you are using the term to describe someone from North America then you fudgied up.
Despite that Rogen was born outside the US, his success and fame as an actor is the result of his work with American cinema. The way Bob has it written here, "American" is an adjective to describe the word "stars," so either the stars are Americans themselves, or they are stars of American culture/audiences. So I think there's indeed a certain legitimacy to calling him an "American star."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
N3Burgener said:
Saulkar said:

Despite that Rogen was born outside the US, his success and fame as an actor is the result of his work with American cinema. The way Bob has it written here, "American" is an adjective to describe the word "stars," so either the stars are Americans themselves, or they are stars of American culture/audiences. So I think there's indeed a certain legitimacy to calling him an "American star."
I'll role with that.

coogs42

Oct 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure Spaced was made by Channel 4 and not the BBC. You're 100% right about Pegg being really funny in real life, I had the pleasure of meeting Simon Pegg at a book signing for his autobiography Nerd Do Well, which I suggest you read as it is really funny and about a quarter of it consists of a fictional tale of Simon Pegg as a playboy superhero with a robotic butler Canterbury, and I was joking with him about Spaced and he was making terrible puns to the people in front of me about the snow in Scotland at the time, really nice person.

Jul 9, 2008
My girlfriend lived in England for about half her life, and she had much the same to say about the influence of American Pop-culture. Always interested me, though it sort of makes me wish I lived in England, so I could watch my American shows and The Mighty Boosh.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Shaun of the Dead is my favorite movie of all time. You can bet I'll be seeing this on Tuesday when the movie tickets are cheap.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
N3Burgener said:
Saulkar said:

Just noting, by your definition, Christian Bale and Anna Paquin would be "American" stars.

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Correction corner: Spaced was a Channel 4 show, produced by LWT (now absorbed into ITV Productions)
Spot on!

Though dedicated Anglophiles likely discovered their revitalized take on the otherwise-waning subgenre of pop-referential nerd/slacker comedy in the Channel4 sitcom Spaced,
I'm one of these heh. Saw SPACED one night on the television when I was younger, really enjoyed it as it was something I could really get into, the humour was spot on, it referenced a hell of a lot of things I love [the 3rd Episode of the first season is epic, has a full on Resident Evil 2 parody, and I've been a fan of Resi since day one hehe], the cast are brilliant, and it's in my top 5 of best TV series' ever!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Hey, Shaun you got some brown on you... on your nose!

Wow, any more sucking up to America and they might become governor of California before the next collaboration with Edgar Wright.

As for Paul... well, I don't go to see a slacker comedy wanting to be preached to. Seriously, I avoid blatantly religious cinema for the same reason, and just because I agree with you, doesn't mean I want it in my entertainment. It's the reason I won't see this at cinema

Also:

work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)
I'm pretty sure he's Canadian