Aliens Vs Predator Video Review.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
Hey guys i just finished uploading my AVP review.

I worked on some issues that you guys mentioned to me. Like trying to sound more happy.
I also let the game sounds in the back round but they may be a tad loud. Also i added some music to my intro. I hope you enjoy. PLEASE give me more feedback i am always looking to improve myself. Please subscribe means a lot to me. ENJOY!!

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I'm impressed! I've never seen any of your work before, but this was a pretty good review.. I'd be interested in your opinion on a few other titles if it's this good.

Maybe you should apply for a job with IGN, because quite frankly, even with that substandard mic, you're ten times better than Hilary Goldstein.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
HyenaThePirate said:
I'm impressed! I've never seen any of your work before, but this was a pretty good review.. I'd be interested in your opinion on a few other titles if it's this good.

Maybe you should apply for a job with IGN, because quite frankly, even with that substandard mic, you're ten times better than Hilary Goldstein.
a job with ign would be great. And thankyou for the compliment.
I think ill give it a year before i apply for anything though.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Not too bad, some of the footage you use should sync up a little more what you're describing however. You mentioned getting spawned in the middle of a fight. Why not show that? Also, try being more in depth. I heard there were complaints with the controls, why not comment on that. Also, only 3 hours per campaign? That's a little harsh, yet you say it comes out alright. How does it work out? These are questions that need to be answered and critiqued on, otherwise a review can slowly turn into an uninformed unpaid ad for the game. Still, the quality is nicer, the music is a nice touch and you sound a bit more into it. Keep it up, practice makes perfect.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
i didnt have a issue with the controls so why would i comment on the complaints.
When i first started my reviews they where 6 minutes long and i had over 30 people say to me to shorten them and dont give to much about the story and the gameplay. I cant explain everything in depth its not a written review. Most people who watch reviews instead of listen want to know what the game is like in under 5 minutes. I personally rarly watch reviews that go for longer then 5 minutes. I get where your coming from but there is a fine line between a review and a spoiler.

Jul 9, 2008
Nicely done review to a game I'm interested in. I've only played the demo up to now, and it's great fun, but I've been hearing mixed things about the full game. I may well get it now, though.

By the way, I roll Alien. Also, I know what you're talking about with spawning, I once spawned directly on top of one of those mine things the Predators use.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
The online gameplay is great fun. But it defiantly needs some fine tuning. I remember at the start of gears of war 2 there were so many problems and they fix these issues.

Dedae

Jan 24, 2010
Huge improvement over your Dante's Inferno review. Much better intro and a variety of footage was great and your voice (hard to sound excited I know) was much better. When you mention something (IE: predator vision modes) you NEED to show it, the whole point of a video review is to give the audience visual evidence of what you are saying and as it stands, the 'video' part of the review contributed very little to the review. Also you spend half the review just describing the game, rather than commenting on how it functions, once again, something you don't need to do in a video review. If you want to save time and add more opinion, cut that out and go a lot deeper into the experience. What are good and bad things that happened in the single player campaign? A 9 hour single player experience for three campaigns seems pitiful to me. What about the campaign justified it shortness besides that each three hour segment is 'different'? What multiplayer game types did you like or dislike and why?

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
PureAussieGamer said:
Hey guys i just finished uploading my AVP review.

I worked on some issues that you guys mentioned to me. Like trying to sound more happy.
I also let the game sounds in the back round but they may be a tad loud. Also i added some music to my intro. I hope you enjoy. PLEASE give me more feedback i am always looking to improve myself. Please subscribe means a lot to me. ENJOY!!

Wow nice review! I agree with some people's comments within the thread that were already posted. Like what Furburt said I think it sounded a bit rushed. You may want to include a longer pause between your main points, because my main issue is that halfway through everything started to ramble together and I would have appreciated a break.

Another main issue some one touched upon was that this video review was lacking good critiquing. My personal belief is that you went too easy on this game. It may be because it is that you are biased towards this game/genre, or found it to hit a niche spot for yourself. However the general consensus around the game is that it wasn't that stellar. Here are some other more popular review sites and what they rated the game.

5.5 From Gamespot ( http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/index.html?tag=topten;all;2 )
7.3 From IGN ( http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070689p2.html )
66 out of a 100 From Metacritic ( http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/aliensvspredator )

And you gave the game a shining 8/10.

I think you need to take a more critical look at the game. You don't have to outright bash it, but I think if you used the "reasonable person" rule you would have been much better off. Whats the "reasonable person" rule? Basically ask yourself what would a reasonable person think about some of the topics you mentioned. For example the 3 hours per campaign issue. Would a reasonable person think that 3 hours per campaign be worth it? Whats the average play time for a campaign mode these days?

However minus a couple of the issues, I think you did a good job. Hell it's better than most the reviews i have seen thus far.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Wodan said:
Another main issue some one touched upon was that this video review was lacking good critiquing. My personal belief is that you went too easy on this game. It may be because it is that you are biased towards this game/genre, or found it to hit a niche spot for yourself. However the general consensus around the game is that it wasn't that stellar. Here are some other more popular review sites and what they rated the game.

5.5 From Gamespot ( http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/index.html?tag=topten;all;2 )
7.3 From IGN ( http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070689p2.html )
66 out of a 100 From Metacritic ( http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/aliensvspredator )

And you gave the game a shining 8/10.

I think you need to take a more critical look at the game. You don't have to outright bash it, but I think if you used the "reasonable person" rule you would have been much better off. Whats the "reasonable person" rule? Basically ask yourself what would a reasonable person think about some of the topics you mentioned. For example the 3 hours per campaign issue. Would a reasonable person think that 3 hours per campaign be worth it? Whats the average play time for a campaign mode these days?
Having played the game I feel a lot of reviews, especially the Gamespot review, fail completely at describing the game's strengths and weaknesses. PureAussieGamer has it almost spot on. Gamespot also took the lazy route where there pc review is just a copy paste of the console one.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
yea i no exatcly what your saying when i need to show what im talking about. But the one issue i am having is that the program i use to edit and put together my footage is like broken. And it would take another 5 hours to make it all in sync which i rly dont have. as soon as i get a better program it will be in sync with what im saying.

And yea i may of been a little loving on the game. But i see the potential this game rly has the online play might not be up to scratch yet but in every online game there are patches etc which is what happened to gears of war. Its been fixed and fixed yet that got a good review from ign. And the story i thinks great. Minor issues with the story.

I think what i might do next time instead of writing it out ill just do it from the top of my head that way its not so scripted and i can add info etc.

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
PureAussieGamer said:
I think what i might do next time instead of writing it out ill just do it from the top of my head that way its not so scripted and i can add info etc.
Oh no I think writing it out is a good idea, that way you can properly organize your thoughts. I just didn't feel enough space between the ideas so it started to sound like one large run on sentence.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
hmmm ok perhaps i should try notes then. Like for example. "Human story" then i talk about that more in depth. I dunno haha,

Well my next review will be on God Of War 3.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Ok I might go and review the game myself now. Looking forward to the GOW 3 one (been looking forward to this game for ages but haven't we all).

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Wodan said:
Disagree!

Well, kinda. He doesn't go into a whole lot of what was perceived to be bad about the game, but then again, if he didn't have a problem with it, why mention it?

I feel like the game got really poor reviews for the following reasons:

1. It was overly compared with other games, i.e. IGN bitching that there were no perks or weapons to unlock like Call of Duty.

2. It was overly compared to previous AVP titles. Which is bull, because those games are over 10 years old, and about half of what people remember being good is pure nostalgia. I would say that the current AVP made a lot of huge improvements over the old.

3. Reviewers jump on review bandwagons. They wait to see what other reviewers say, and then they say the exact same things to try and cover their asses.

4. You only get 8/10's from some review sites if you give them boatloads of money. It's true. You know it.

ANYWAYS,
I liked the review, I watched it and was entertained. I think if you take some of the tips from here, especially about showing some of the things as you are talking about them, you're reviews would easily be the quality level of a professional reviewer.

Aside from that, if you were really striving for professionalism, then I would be a little more critical of the game. I think that reviewing should probably be about 80% the subjective opinion of the reviewer, but at least some of it has to be an objective consideration of what someone somewhere else may possibly have a problem with.

That said, though, I fully agree with this review, I love the game. I'm also a huge fanboy though.