All-Male Ghostbusters Film is in The Works

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
medv4380 said:
I'm fine with a reboot, and I'm fine with a continuation. But stop with the Gender Bias gimmicks. The all female one will be poorer for passing up on good male actors that would have done the job better, and the all male one will have the same fault for having to pass on good female actors that would have been better.

Focus on a good script, and then find actors that fit into your archetypes. Saying "All Actors Must Be Black" cuts you short in the same way as saying "All Actors Must Be White Male".

On top of that this looks like the road to making Ghostbusters as Sexist, and possible as Racist as they can make it. Next it will be the All Latino team, and the All Asian Team, and so on and so forth.
I wish you could like posts on this forum, because this hits the nail on the head.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't know how true any of this is. Sounds way too stupid, segregating male and female audiences like that, like we've moved back in time.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
wetfart said:
How are they going to explain all the different ghostbusting teams? Franchise opportunities? At the end of the last game (2009?) I remember the original team offers you to head up a new team in another city. I think Cleveland was one of them.
I think that was the premise of the super Nintendo game. In-Universe, Ghostbusters is a franchise, and anyone with the money to plop down can get a proton pack and start de-spookifying places.
OT: Clearly we're getting an all male movie BECAUSE they want it to be a franchise. That way they can break down the gender barrier in the third movie, wherein both teams need to take down Gozer's Great Grandma.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
One only female team, one only male team, then next we'll have an only black team, only white team, only Japanese team, only gay team, only robot team, and finally, only ghost team.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
kael013 said:
Zhukov said:
Oh my God. That is such a cheap marketing gimmick.

Fucking hell Hollywood, will you ever stop pandering to the Reddit MRAs?

Enough is enough.
They'll stop pandering to the MRAs the same time they stop pandering to internet feminists (*cough* all-female reboot *cough*)

But you're right this needs to stop. In-universe, this means that the Ghostbusters company is a sex-segregated workplace - in [b/]2015[/b]. That's some serious unfortunate implications (that also apply to Hollywood).
here we go, here's the plan... first movie, all chicks, second movie all dudes, 3rd movie, the teams fall for each other, splitting up through some hollywood bullshit, then we have, going forward, two teams of two guys and two girls.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Funniest part of all this to me (and what will likely be more entertaining than the films themselves) has been watching the reactions to both of these film announcements.

Between the ideologues and the hypocrites screaming about which one of these films deserves to get made, and the largely-disinterested public pretty much convinced that they're both a waste of time, I hope Sony DOES keep announcing "themed" versions of the team.

This kind of drama could keep me amused for quite a while, after all.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
You know, instead of two movies people are now going to hate from the off, why not take Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig away from the "all-female" one, can this "all-male" idea and stick Channing Tatum and the Russos on that first film.

Perhaps if they'd done that from the outset, it would've cut down on a lot of whining, from all sides.
I have to say that would be my first thought as well. The only reason not to that I can see, is avoiding the romantic pitfall elements of an evenly mixed team and opening the door for other options. That said though, you could just be a disciplined writer and... NOT take it there. Who knows. Maybe the studio is testing the water to see which 'team/movie' gets the most gross. A fair if somewhat jaded exorcise which makes me suspect it all the more - being jaded and all.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Why is it that they're trying to shove Channing Tatum into damn near every movie coming out lately?
He's not that great of an actor and he just ain't that attractive, he's kinda cute, but eh.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
"We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment," director Ivan Reitman told Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/].
A part of my soul died reading that. Nothing kills entertainment faster than having it become corporate driven slog.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Every time Sony makes another Ghostbusters announcement Harold Ramis turns another revolution in his grave.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
They're making a Ghostbusters movie with all the main characters played by men?

...So, it's just like the original movie?

What's the point?

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
Why does this warrant the "all male" title?

The original movies were already all male, if anything the female version sounds more like a phoned in gimmick.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
"Hmm, Marvel Cinematic Universe? Oooh, I want some of that money too."

This is the worst thing about Marvel being so successful. Speaking of... whatever happened to the Universal Monster Universe?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
"We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment," director Ivan Reitman told Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/].

"This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig's film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He's got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come," he continued.

Reitman, along with Ghostbusters co-star Dan Aykroyd, will be heading the newly formed "GhostCorps" studio at Sony. "My primary focus will be to build the Ghostbusters into the universe it always promised it might become. The original film is beloved, as is the cast, and we hope to create films we will continue to love," he said.
Is this a parody thread?

Because it reads like one.

If this is actually for real then I fear this is Hollywood for the next decade or so - desperate attempts to reproduce the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe by stretching any and every IP as far as it will go, and then some.

The first ghost they should bust is the ghost of this dead horse.

Dantos

Mar 2, 2012
Clearly we need a live action Extreme Ghostbusters to cover the full demographic spectrum.

DoctorM said:
"Hmm, Marvel Cinematic Universe? Oooh, I want some of that money too."

This is the worst thing about Marvel being so successful. Speaking of... whatever happened to the Universal Monster Universe?
Well, they can always handle it, kinda like the original Ghostbusters franchised out. Like they talk about at the end of the game.

Then it can be like CSI!!! Ghostbusters Miami, L.A., Boston!