All Skyrim needs is...

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
F said:
If you want some mini bossed to fight try the quest "Forbidden Legend" for the Gauldur Amulet. You have to fight 3 fairly interesting dead brothers, each with special powers. (again a lot of dungeon crawling)

One of the best quests I've encountered on there.
lol, three Draugr deathlords... wow. :p

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
All Skyrim needs is...

... Actually, a lot, in my opinion.

A better main plot, MUCH better sub-plots, more unique-looking armor and weapon sets, and some actual interesting characters, for once.
Not to mention that some of the lore just doesn't fit with what you see in the game world.

For instance, the "Districts" in Whiterun. There are, as you may know, multiple districts in Whiterun village. I think four or five. The problem with this is that the size of Whiterun makes this tidbit of lore kind of ridiculous. You know Nazeem, that annoying guy acting all snobby about the fact that he's often in the Cloud district? Not only is he a snob, but he's an idiot. You practically take 2 steps and you've stumbled into a district. Heck, the drunks probably march up to Dragonsreach all the time!

I know this might not seem like a big deal, and on it's own it's not, it's just that this makes it apparant that the developers were planning on making Whiterun and the other "Cities" larger than what we see in the final copy, and it baffles me why they would cut down the size.

Okay, sorry about the rant, but that really annoys me. The cities and villages were really nice in Oblivion, but in Skyrim they're WAY too small.

Also, most of the game world is kind of repetetive, except when you go into dungeons.

The truth is that the Elder Scrolls games rely a LOT on how well they immerse you in the game, but in terms of story, gameplay, and characters the Elder Scrolls leaves a lot of room for improvement, with Skyrim being no exception.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Soopy said:
F said:
If you want some mini bossed to fight try the quest "Forbidden Legend" for the Gauldur Amulet. You have to fight 3 fairly interesting dead brothers, each with special powers. (again a lot of dungeon crawling)

Lol, not just Draugr deathlords, one of them teleports around the room shooting you with a bow, spawning fakes to distract you. The other two have similar abilities.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
F said:
Soopy said:
F said:

Lol, not just Draugr deathlords, one of them teleports around the room shooting you with a bow, spawning fakes to distract you. The other two have similar abilities.
Yeah I know, I've done the quest. It is the exception to the rule in Skyrim for sure!

But yeah, the Character models for those bosses are very lazy...

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Soopy said:
F said:
Soopy said:
F said:

Yeah I know, I've done the quest. It is the exception to the rule in Skyrim for sure!

But yeah, the Character models for those bosses are very lazy...
I see your point. I would've loved some different character models, there isn't much variation in Skyrim compared to Morrowind or even Oblivion. I wouldn't even mind a few more Daedra as bosses around.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Rooster Cogburn said:
Snip for one relevant point to touch on
Well as I suggested Im somewhat done in this thread. One point from your response is there seemed to be a theme reoccurring I picked up on, and with such I wanted to apologize. Please understand, I do not think you are stupid on any level. Most certainly not for liking a particular game. I have told this to many others too, I come off a hell of a lot more crass and sphinctery in text than what I intend to. While we may not agree on the points involved, simply disagreeing does not automatically bestow the normal internet response of "fuck that stupid prick" at least for my part. Actually, I usually interact more with people I disagree with. I am the type that I feel I learn more from debate and discussion than someone just agreeing with me. So I do value disagreement because almost always it is a chance to learn something.

So again, If it seemed as if I was trying to call you stupid for liking what you like, my sincere apology. Was not my intention.

As for the rest, ehh, Im essentially done with the thread so for my end of it and for now Ill have to agree to disagree.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
viranimus said:
Well as I suggested Im somewhat done in this thread. One point from your response is there seemed to be a theme reoccurring I picked up on, and with such I wanted to apologize. Please understand, I do not think you are stupid on any level. Most certainly not for liking a particular game. I have told this to many others too, I come off a hell of a lot more crass and sphinctery in text than what I intend to. While we may not agree on the points involved, simply disagreeing does not automatically bestow the normal internet response of "fuck that stupid prick" at least for my part. Actually, I usually interact more with people I disagree with. I am the type that I feel I learn more from debate and discussion than someone just agreeing with me. So I do value disagreement because almost always it is a chance to learn something.

So again, If it seemed as if I was trying to call you stupid for liking what you like, my sincere apology. Was not my intention.

As for the rest, ehh, Im essentially done with the thread so for my end of it and for now Ill have to agree to disagree.
I really appreciate that. I suppose I was pretty defensive myself, and I apologize for that. I understand and respect your opinion even if I don't share it. It was good talking to you.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
I think I woke up in the twilight zone, surely this isn't the internet forums from my reality...

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Soopy said:
Fireprufe15 said:
Hmm, I personally feel like you about Skyrim, but I've also seen people enjoy the shit out of it. I'm starting to think maybe we're playing it wrong.
Playing it the same way I've played TES since Daggerfall. I enjoyed every iteration up until Skyrim, still don't mind Oblivion on occasion. Skyrim is just a bit empty and dull.

I can look past the bogus combat and the complete and utter lack of substance. But the fact that you can run for an actual hour and see nothing but about 30 wolves that drop nothing, about half a dozen dragons that also drop nothing of value and you craft the best armour in the game if you're willing to wait for the merchants to sell you the materials. If they can add in the possibility of dragons or Champion bosses dropping really good unique weapons.
I'm thinking you may just be playing the game wrong. I've played roughly a dozen different characters in Skyrim, and each playthrough has yet to not show me something new and unique about the game, be it a unique locale, an interesting quest (the Aethereal forge in particular came right the hell out of nowhere for me) or some hitherto unknown aspect of the game's background or narrative. Yes, there are a bunch of wolves, yes there's a lot of more monotonous aspects of the game of but it's more the set dressing that makes the unique experiences all the more memorable. If each and every cave and glen was something wondrous, it'd swiftly lose impact. To compare, seeing a really big firework going off is cool. Seeing 50 more like it right after diminishes the spectacle.

However, there is an aspect of Skyrim that I would like to see improved. The quests. It's always a "go here and kill someone" quest or a "go here and fetch this" quest, usually without even the most basic pretext or reasoning. A bit more of the Oblivion style quests where a lot more of the sneaky subversive styles of conflict occurred would be much appreciated, as I find a lot of the game is more geared to the beatstick school of problem solving. It's not that the subtle arts don't exist, it's that they're not given time or enough design to truly flourish, especially if you're trying for a sneaky character and a dragon Radiant spawns on top of you and barbecues/flash freezes your tuchas. Can't bluff your way out of that one..... (though that would be one hell of an interesting experience if you could)

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Another thing I thought of, and this is a TES problem as a whole.

Why does EVERY quest involve trekking from one corner of the map to the other?
Almost every quest without fail. Why do you do that Bethesda?

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
The Heik said:
Soopy said:
Fireprufe15 said:
Hmm, I personally feel like you about Skyrim, but I've also seen people enjoy the shit out of it. I'm starting to think maybe we're playing it wrong.
Playing it the same way I've played TES since Daggerfall. I enjoyed every iteration up until Skyrim, still don't mind Oblivion on occasion. Skyrim is just a bit empty and dull.

I can look past the bogus combat and the complete and utter lack of substance. But the fact that you can run for an actual hour and see nothing but about 30 wolves that drop nothing, about half a dozen dragons that also drop nothing of value and you craft the best armour in the game if you're willing to wait for the merchants to sell you the materials. If they can add in the possibility of dragons or Champion bosses dropping really good unique weapons.
I'm thinking you may just be playing the game wrong. I've played roughly a dozen different characters in Skyrim, and each playthrough has yet to not show me something new and unique about the game, be it a unique locale, an interesting quest (the Aethereal forge in particular came right the hell out of nowhere for me) or some hitherto unknown aspect of the game's background or narrative. Yes, there are a bunch of wolves, yes there's a lot of more monotonous aspects of the game of but it's more the set dressing that makes the unique experiences all the more memorable. If each and every cave and glen was something wondrous, it'd swiftly lose impact. To compare, seeing a really big firework going off is cool. Seeing 50 more like it right after diminishes the spectacle.

However, there is an aspect of Skyrim that I would like to see improved. The quests. It's always a "go here and kill someone" quest or a "go here and fetch this" quest, usually without even the most basic pretext or reasoning. A bit more of the Oblivion style quests where a lot more of the sneaky subversive styles of conflict occurred would be much appreciated, as I find a lot of the game is more geared to the beatstick school of problem solving. It's not that the subtle arts don't exist, it's that they're not given time or enough design to truly flourish, especially if you're trying for a sneaky character and a dragon Radiant spawns on top of you and barbecues/flash freezes your tuchas. Can't bluff your way out of that one..... (though that would be one hell of an interesting experience if you could)
I don't think I'm playing anything "wrong".
But, I'll make a new character and give something different to a try just so that I can say I have.

I'll make my self a glass cannon, Everything else I use is either a demi-god mage or a tank.

Anyone else scratching their head thinking playing a game I've already said I don't like is masochistic. I paid $120aud for it. I'll damn well get my monies worth!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I enjoy the crap out of it. I have since launch night (i was at a midnight release! :D Saw someone in a dovah-cap too), and i recently purchased my 2nd copy, this time for PC. I enjoy every aspect of it, even if it is the worst TES game yet.

Generally, any problem i have with the game, or had with it on console (such as the problems you listed) have now been fixed thanks to mods. There are now..... 10k mods (yes, its 10,000, they just had the announcement less then a week ago), and they add so much more to the game, more monsters and loot, harder combat, better smithing, bug fixes, everything i had a problem with on console, is now just better since ive switched to PC. Even my favorite aspect of the game is far better, COOKING! :D I love cooking!

While the game itself (outside of mods) could use a rework and better planning, i feel like its in a good place. I enjoyed it without mods up until last week, and to be honest, even though i have the PC version, i still play my xbox version because the game itself is pretty solid without mods. I can see how some people would be bored with it, but ive played it nonstop since launch (longest break i took from it was 4 days because i went out of town) and its still got its hooks in me. Im waiting on the news for PC hearthfire before i get it (if it works fine on PC i'll get it for PC then, if not i'll just shell out the 5 bucks for the xbox version), but i dont mind waiting, because theres still so much for me to do.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Soopy said:
But, I'll make a new character and give something different to a try just so that I can say I have.

I'll make my self a glass cannon, Everything else I use is either a demi-god mage or a tank.

Anyone else scratching their head thinking playing a game I've already said I don't like is masochistic. I paid $120aud for it. I'll damn well get my monies worth!
The way you worded the original post made me think you don't want to enjoy it. That's why I said something along those lines. However if you're willing to dive back in, maybe I was completely wrong. I suggest you refer back to the Skyrim: Where's the Fun? post for some advice. I strongly recommend playing on Expert. Otherwise, you'll be back here soon telling us all you did was spam the button and watch everything die. Maybe plan your class before you start and try to come up with something interesting, or something that fits a theme. Maybe even use the Skyrim Perk Calculator. You can play it by ear with the perks, of course, but it makes it more interesting to me if I have a build in mind. My favorite character is the one I designed around the theme of souls, and doing everything pertaining to stealing, manipulating, and otherwise utilizing the soul.

Also, starting over with lots of new characters makes the opening more dull each time. It can be a self-defeating strategy. You're probably at that point already, so make sure you don't decide to start a new character later and try to get a little ways into the game before you start judging, if you can stand it.

The story isn't as bad as people say. But it does require more from you than a Bioware game does (not to denigrate those at all). It's presented like you are actually there discovering it, not like you are watching a movie. It's in the world, it's in reports you find in chests, it's in books, it's in the things you hear from behind a closed door. This is not a bullshit excuse, it's THERE lol. Just give it a chance is all I'm saying. So many just take it for granted that the story sucks, so they miss it.

I'm sorry I misjudged and good luck.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
You know what would actually make Skyrim great? THE ABILITY TO FUCKING ROLEPLAY. Seriously, the ability to make any meaningful decisions whatsoever would have made Skyrim a superior game to everything else. But no, Bethesda is the jerkass GM who refuses to let a pesky little thing like player choice get in the way of their "grand and epic" tale.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Soopy said:

I think I may have used the word "wrong" incorrectly in this context. What I meant was that there may be facets of the game you haven't yet explored. Skyrim is a big place, and there's a lot going on that one can miss at first, second or third glance. My first few playthroughs of Skyrim were very locked into the guilds and main storyline. I barely went anywhere other than where the markers pointed me, but when I began to explore the the corners of the map on my own in later playthroughs, it became quite a lot of fun discovering new little details than had previously eluded me.

If there's anything I would suggest that may help you to enjoy Skyrim, consider these point with your next playthrough (you may be following one or two already, but I figure I'll mention all that I can think of anyway):

1:Explore every corner. Skyrim's got a lot of nooks and crannies where unique experiences can pop up. If there's any part of the map that seems like there's not much there, check it out, and go through each place you find. This even applies on the micro scale, as Bethesda is a big fan of leaving little details just lying around, so it never hurts to read every book and document you find, as you might discover a fun tidbit or add to the overall picture of Skyrim and Tamriel in general, and you may even find a quest or two hanging about as a result.

2:Roleplay: when picking a character, don't just focus on straightforward combat capabilities. Pick a character who has certain traits and skills, and stick within those constraints.

For example, I RP'd a wizard who was a downright coward, and so did not get to have any direct combat spells or weapons to speak of. Not being able to fight directly meant I had to get very good at the other spell families at my disposal, and speech, stealth, pickpocketing and followers became necessities because I had to find ways to work around not being able to blast a dude with fireballs or smack them with an axe. It was honestly one of my favourite playthroughs of any game because I had to be very creative with how I solved my problems (especially when I had to face dragons, which went from cliffracer-esque annoyances to the very definition of a "bad day")

3:Up the difficulty. This may seem like the most obvious way to make a game more interesting, but I find too many people tend to ignore the amount of fun they can have from challenging themselves. I'm currently playing a bow user on Expert difficulty, and it's getting particularly challenging trying to find a way around most foes because they can drop my health scarily fast now (seriously, even a bandit outlaw can hurt me pretty bad if I'm not careful). And like tenet #2, it doesn't just have to be from the difficulty setting perspective. Try out something other than what's considered the "best strategy" (much like your choice of a glass cannon fighter) and you may surprise yourself with what you can come up with. The human mind thrives on obstructions after all.

Well I hope that these bits of advice will help you enjoy Skyrim. However, there always exists the possibility that Skyrim may just not be the game for you. It'll to everyone at some point, and all one can really do is shrug and move on. It's not like it's the end of the world.....

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Eddy-16 said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'd love to read it but, y'know, small image size and everything. URL, plz?
http://i.imgur.com/I96AE.jpg
Ask and ye shall receive.
Thanks. That was both hilarious and, I'll admit, somewhat on the nose. Someone needs to mod in a quest where the NPCs refer to you as "dude", "dog" and "hombre". A parody quest, with waay too many Draugr.

GET ON IT, MODDERS!

If I have to be more serious about it, though, I'd say there's a definite sense of mechanical unease with Skyrim. Oblivion was more diverse because you had the sense that everyone involved knew exactly how to ply the available tools to achieve certain results. I don't know if Gamebryo being hacked apart and stapled back together as the Creation engine is responsible, but the more limited toolset gives me that impression.

Or maybe it's just a case of Bethsoft trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I mean, Persuasion or Speech checks are for scrubs who can't No-Scope for shit, amirite?