Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Well, that's about as expected. Sony was selling a gaming system, Microsoft was selling a home media system that at launch insisted on phoning home daily to keep your rights to use it. Along with a lot of other consumer unfriendly shit they insisted was utterly necessary but somehow managed to do without when they kept getting shit on for it.

There is a lesson here but as I saw in the EA suck up thread yesterday, Microsoft will likely respond to it with "Message not understood, got stuck in washing machine."

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have a PS4, and while i have enjoyed my time with it, I think I have seen the light of Gaben. And by that I mean I am sick and tired of Sony's shit. First it took me 3 months just to get a replacement $50 PSN card because some people are apparently quite skilled at guessing shit (or Sony is crap at making redeemable cards, I dont know which possibility is worse, its 2016 people), they automatically renewed my unwanted PS+ (which is complete bullshit by the way, online play is still inferior to the Xbone and the free games are all indie games that honestly no one give a crap about) without asking me, and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.

THE GODDAMN DISK SLOT.

Its a fucking console for God's sake! How the hell do you screw that up!?

When I go to college, I am getting a laptop to play games with (and have normal laptop work). Anything to get away from subscription-required multiplayer and crappy customer service.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Strelok said:
Orga777 said:
And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)
Arkham Knight plays great now, just unfortunate it's not a good game... How are the drops to 18 frames per second in Just Cause 3? 15 minute load times in Fallout 4 improve yet? Maybe the drops to 0 frames fixed? Last I heard the console fix for 15 minute load times from Bethesda was "Get an SSD."
Hahahaha. Nearly pissed myself laughing about that ssd bit. Thank you good sir. You just made my day.

OT: and not a single fuck was given (by me). Owned a console once. Hated it. Gf bought a ps3. Hated it. I started as a pc gamer and I guess once you go pc u never go back. Not to say pc's are better by definition but I like the costumization and added functionality of a pc over console. There is not a single thing that a console can do that a pc can't. Other way around... Not so much. So yea... Not a single fuck given.

Ps/disclaimer: Im not turning this in a pc vs console thread. Both have their merits. If I could I would have just thanked the good sir. Did not want to get a low content warning so I added my opinion.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
Maybe this is a dumb question but how would EA know that? I'm sure they could estimate based on their multiplatform games and how they sell but I can't imagine that could be concrete proof. Am I missing something?
Publishers pay a licensing fee to Sony/Nintendo/MS/Maybe whoever else to put a game on their system. I'm guessing the number of systems you've sold comes up in the agreements as to how much the license is. It probably also comes up when they're trying to secure exclusive.

Potentially it might also relate to how many copies they press in a run for each system (after all, there's no point in EA paying to make 30 million Xbone discs if there's only 18 million Xbones), though I think that would be more on a retailer's end.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.
What would these problems with your disc slot be? Maybe this link can be of help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDx9TOT8VU

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Guys, I'm not even a native speaker and I can still see that even after editing it, the title of this article is still grammatically wrong. Please try...

OT: Was really to be expected. At launch the PS4 was already clearly going in a better direction than the Xbox.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
bluegate said:
Bob_McMillan said:
and now me and my friend both have problems with our PS4's disk slot.
What would these problems with your disc slot be? Maybe this link can be of help;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDx9TOT8VU
Thanks for the link. I will try it out, but from what I hear, the solutions arent permanent.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Zenja said:
Both Sony and Nintendo have focused on producing games this generation while Xbox focused on watching TV on a gaming console. This is why Xbox is trailing behind.
True and that hurt the XB1, which consistently has lesser video quality to the PS4 on cross platform games. But overall sales of both consoles are doing well.

And while we can tear our hair out about the Wii U and the Vita, plenty of games came out for them to the point that I'll never fully play them all. Maybe somewhere out there is people that can speed run this stuff and are asking, "where the heck are the next games?" but that isn't me.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Meh we will see in a year how things are going. Last gen it was Sony who was behind and busted their asses to make a huge comeback while MS rested on their laurels. This gen MS is really trying to please their customers while Sony is swimming in their money bin. They just need to get rid of that stupid parity clause and hope people eventually forgive and forget the pre launch clusterfuck

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Microsoft isn't taking it too well either, they keep paying for timed exclusive deals on multiple popular titles. Stop hogging Elite:Dangerous and Ark survival evolved! Just be a good sport, ole chap...if you love something, set it free! Don't hold it behind your money for as long as is legally allowed, you fucks! *Ahem* Not bitter or impatient at all. But with Elite's confirmed PS4 release date of *(pending on MS's blessing)*...it is a touch frustrating..

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Xman490 said:
What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.
It's cheaper, it's also objectively superior when it comes to multi platforms.

Call of Duty, FiFA, Madden, that's what half the gaming world cares about and little else, all of these game have identical content on each platform, but they look better on the PS4. It's not at all like last gen where some games ran better on one or the other, the PS4 and Xbone are almost identical inside, except the PS4 has faster versions of the same chips and better suited RAM.

As with last gen Microsoft cheaped out on the hardware, not quite as catastrophically as they did with the 360 but they still cheaped out.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Zenja said:
Xman490 said:
What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.
PS4 exclusives: 23
31 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Xbox One exclusives: 14
5 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Wii-U has them both beat but has a lot of shovelware exclusives as a result of Nintendo's 3rd party practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(eighth_generation)

Both Sony and Nintendo have focused on producing games this generation while Xbox focused on watching TV on a gaming console. This is why Xbox is trailing behind.

LIES! Xbox has 84,729,103 exclusives! You are a Sony Fanboi! Xbox is the bestest consold evar! Check your statistix.
You don't no nuffin. Yor a lier! Y do U make up lies!? Evry1 nos that Xbox is the best fing ever!

[in before reality deniers]

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
The only thing I regret about buying my ps4 is buying it right before (like a month) the prices dropped by $100 (grrr).

It seems to be the clear best choice if your only going to get 1 of the newest gen consoles. I still have not picked up a Wii U, and may never do so (Especially if the next nintendo console has backwards compatability). Even after all this time there is only a handful of games I would want to play on the Wii U, and it's not worth getting a system for them.

Xbox One does have a few games I would like to play (sunset overdrive for one), but again it's not worth the price for a couple of games I can't play on my ps4. Meanwhile the ps4 was the cheapest (even when it hadn't dropped in price) and can play all the multi-platform games (that are not on my pc as well), and had bloodborne.

Total no brainer for me, and there are a ton more ps4 exclusives coming out soon, including rpgs and platform games (my favorite genres).

The ps3 easily won the contest for last gen consoles for me (I have them all), with the WII actually beating out the xbox360 by a small margin. The ps2 of course may be the greatest collection of games of all time and easily won that generation, and while nintendo gave the playstation a run for it's money, I'd still say the original playstation won as well. So it's been a pretty clean sweep for sony in my opinion, and that also leads people to feel safe in buying their system. Doesn't hurt it's cheaper though.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Xman490 said:
It's basically due to the PS4 being more powerful and cheaper than the Xbox One. Microsoft dropped the ball by adding a stupid peripheral that no-one wanted that raised the price of the Xbox One by $100. I think they later decided to sell the XBox One without the Kinect, but by then people were buying the PS4 so they could play with their friends who had bought the PS4 earlier.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
cikame said:
Steven Bogos said:
So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...
Isn't it software which provides the profits?
I think you might have misread, he said "console gaming", not "console sales" or "console profits". It is about gaming on consoles and its viability, not where the profits come from.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
bluegate said:
cikame said:
Steven Bogos said:
So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...
Isn't it software which provides the profits?
I think you might have misread, he said "console gaming", not "console sales" or "console profits". It is about gaming on consoles and its viability, not where the profits come from.
I was merely suggesting that since consoles are often sold at a loss, if software sales were less than last generation at this point, wouldn't this generation be worse by comparison regardless of hardware sold?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
cikame said:
I was merely suggesting that since consoles are often sold at a loss, if software sales were less than last generation at this point, wouldn't this generation be worse by comparison regardless of hardware sold?
Sorry about that, your sentence left quite some room for interpretation so I wrongfully assumed what you were going for, thanks for clearing it up!

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Gorfias said:
And while we can tear our hair out about the Wii U and the Vita, plenty of games came out for them to the point that I'll never fully play them all. Maybe somewhere out there is people that can speed run this stuff and are asking, "where the heck are the next games?" but that isn't me.
I haven't really bought many games this generation because I have actually been underwhelmed so far this generation. However, the exclusives are not only there, they are about to come really strong on behalf of sony and nintendo, which is kind of exciting. I still have many last gen games I need to beat though, as you mention and now days it takes me forever to get through a game. I used to have much more free time for gaming but now I get around 20 or maybe 30 hours a week if I try for it.

I will say that after 3 years that is a rather small library considering many are remasters for sony and shovelware for nintendo in favor of Xman490's comment. However, exclusives are certainly on the table at this point and are only going to be more relevant this year as the remasters drop off for Sony and they focus many titles announced at the PS4's unveiling release this year.

I do agree that the launch hiccup for microsoft probably effected this more than anything else. Sure the PS4 is more powerful, but not in the way of a considerable gap. (Like the Wii) The power difference is marginal at best and would be like getting mad at a consistent 58 fps instead of 60. Is 2 additional horsepower going to persuade you to buy a totally different car? As for price, both are offering decent deals now days and launch price is no longer an issue.

Microsoft does have bad press (they actually called consumers "backwards thinking" and other passive aggressive insults after unveiling the Xbox One) and not many real games to offer. They really did it to themselves. They wanted to sell a console to watch TV sports and play Call of Duty at the same time. That is a very niche demographic that cares about that.