Alpha Protocol: Is it worth getting?

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I'll just put a short pro/con list.
Pro: Dialogue Options
Cons: Terrible weapons, characters, writing, and game play.
I regret spending $7 on it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Considering that I can't even play it because it lags and is meh at best (Also, my computer can run Crysis just for the record) No, its not worth the 2 dollars I spent.

Wiseag

Oct 5, 2011
@Giest4life

You know that is all explained halfway through the tutorial (about 2 minutes in). Not sure you can gauge a game within 2 mins (unless it is completely broken).

*Not that much of a Spoiler, but anyway*

You are meant to escape, it is a recruitment test. You are have been chosen as a candidate to join Alpha Protocol, you chose your background at the beginning.

*End*

Anyway, I enjoyed the game. Loved all the different ways things could happen throughout the story. Gameplay could be a bit clunky at times and some bits could be pretty hard if you hadn't built your character well.
I would recommend it.
Played on PS3.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Giest4life said:
Sure.

Let's start off with the plot. I'm one of those guys who want a solid plot to have any interest in the game. I don't mind a few holes here and there, but Alpha Protocol's plot was positively vesicular. Here's the opening cut-scene: My character wakes up on an operating table. I'm clearly in some sort of lab. I've no idea where I am, how I got here, and who brought me there. A PDA on the counter in the room conveniently starts beeping the moment I wake up and a girl informs me that I'm currently in the brainwashing section of a special agent producing factory. "Just trust me" she says. "I don't have time to explain." Fair enough. I don't have any choice. But how about this a)I'm apparently a highly trained mercenary, and the best way to handle me is just to leave me completely unguarded. Not only that, the bastards didn't even bother cuffing or restraining me in fashion. It gets worse. The retards placed all this high-tech equipment around me and left a PDA (unlocked) and with complete access to me. Lastly, but but certainly not the least in this jungle of idiocy, there are absolutely no security cameras or monitoring stations where I'm being held. Hell, even the fucking door is unlocked!

There are gameplay issues aplenty, as well, but I'm willing to forgive those if the story is interesting enough--or at least makes sense. I know that the game designers weren't making the game for me, but it felt as if they were intentionally trying to make sure that I not play this game.
...So you never realized that, in fact, you weren't being held hostage and it was actually a test to see if you could get out of a situation like that? You were actually in your base the entire time.

Jeez, play more than 10 minutes of a game before you judge it.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Giest4life said:
Sure.

Let's start off with the plot. I'm one of those guys who want a solid plot to have any interest in the game. I don't mind a few holes here and there, but Alpha Protocol's plot was positively vesicular. Here's the opening cut-scene: My character wakes up on an operating table. I'm clearly in some sort of lab. I've no idea where I am, how I got here, and who brought me there. A PDA on the counter in the room conveniently starts beeping the moment I wake up and a girl informs me that I'm currently in the brainwashing section of a special agent producing factory. "Just trust me" she says. "I don't have time to explain." Fair enough. I don't have any choice. But how about this a)I'm apparently a highly trained mercenary, and the best way to handle me is just to leave me completely unguarded. Not only that, the bastards didn't even bother cuffing or restraining me in fashion. It gets worse. The retards placed all this high-tech equipment around me and left a PDA (unlocked) and with complete access to me. Lastly, but but certainly not the least in this jungle of idiocy, there are absolutely no security cameras or monitoring stations where I'm being held. Hell, even the fucking door is unlocked!

There are gameplay issues aplenty, as well, but I'm willing to forgive those if the story is interesting enough--or at least makes sense. I know that the game designers weren't making the game for me, but it felt as if they were intentionally trying to make sure that I not play this game.
...So you never realized that, in fact, you weren't being held hostage and it was actually a test to see if you could get out of a situation like that? You were actually in your base the entire time.

Jeez, play more than 10 minutes of a game before you judge it.
Point conceded there.

To stretch this, however, it's still a pretty stupid test, which all but begs me to escape through the conveniently marked exits, to begin with.

Also, as I mentioned to an earlier poster, if it seems stupid from the onset, chances are it's not getting better later on.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Its fucking infuriating. Gameplay is bad, but I've been told the story is worth it. Still waiting for the story to show itself, though.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I wish I could say "Buy it, you won't regret it" unequivocally, but I can't. Some people love it for what it does right, others hate it for what it does wrong. Some people even disagree about what it actually gets right and wrong. I've played it and loved it, but it starts very slowly, doesn't work well on every computer. (A friend of mine bought it on his Crysis-capable desktop, and it ran horribly. Meanwhile my girlfriend has it on her laptop and on medium settings it runs almost flawlessly.) I'd recommend the X360 version, as that's the version I have, and it seems pretty stable there. (There is some texture pop-in, though. Actually, a lot.)

I think someone suggested renting it first, or playing someone else's copy. There's really no guarantee you'll love it or hate it; more than any other game I've seen, you have to play it to know whether you'll enjoy playing it.

Andy999

Jul 9, 2008
I say yes, because I've never seen a game where your decisions had such tangible, logical consequences. Otherwise though, it has little to recommend it. It's competent as a stealth game, but not much else. I was entertained enough to be glad of the purchase, others who are less forgiving of somewhat bland gameplay and numerous bugs would disagree.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I'd recommend. I can understand why reviewers gave it the score it got. (Their are a few bugs and the gameplay isn't always the best.) But the story, RPG elements, and conversation system do make it worth the small investment it should cost now.

s3kChUn8

Sep 6, 2010
Yes, I bought it used at my local Game shop and LOVE it. Huge replay factor as every decision you make has a different outcome, Yahtzee really nailed it good in his review. Sure graphics aren't top of the line and controls can be a ***** at times, but as far as story goes, great, and it really leaves you with an open ending so you play the way you want.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
A lot of people hate it, which I don't understand since its a really good game. But then again I love a good RPG :>

Also gameplay is sweet if you play the stealthy type. To me the game is easily worth 60$

PS: ALL RPGs starts slowly ><, if it doesn't then either you're playing a bad RPG or your playing dragon age: Origins

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
I got it during the $2 Steam sale. I found it very difficult to play with keyboard and mouse, especially during the hacking minigame (the right-hand number string did not want to move very fast, even when the mouse sensitivity was turned up). To this end, I found it unplayable without a controller.

On the positive, I play as a guy who doesn't have all the power he's capable of right out of the gate. Either you can play a green rookie, or start with some skill profession that has some experience in certain areas. Makes me feel like I worked for the progression, didn't have it all handed to me. Also, choices on whether to let someone live or die have effects on later missions, and making friends/uneasy alliances can make certain challenges a little easier (still have to buy their help in certain cases) and grant access to more weapons purchases.

I fought a drugged-out Russian dude that was wearing a purple leopard-print jacket while Autograph's "Turn Up the Radio" played in the background. Not only that, but the programmers made the first non-vocal part loop as long as it took to bring down Brayko's health so that he snorts the drugs (and the fight really begins) and THEN the lyrics kicked in. I found this awesome because you have to jabber with the baddie at least a little bit before you're able to attack. That's just considerate; a small touch that made me change my opinion about the game tremendously. Life lesson learned; if a drugged-out psycho comes at me, I need to run my ass off until they collapse, and only then can I attack them and have it matter.

When it's all said and done, I feel I played a pretty good game. There's issues in it, but I didn't come away feeling like I wanted my time back. It was fun. If you can get it on sale, give it a shot.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
AP is a great game if you like spy games. You can play it however you like and still be effective. I especially like going Stealth, unarmed, and pistols and you can complete the whole game, even boss fights with any combat style except maybe unarmed (but you can beat every boss except the Russian guy with unarmed only)

Problem is the game got a lot of bad/mediocre reviews just due to the bugs it has. I cant speak for others but the only bugs I ever experienced in 5 or 6 playthroughs was graphical ones which I can just overlook.

For 12 its a steal. Grab it, play it, and I can almost garantee you'll love it

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Giest4life said:
lordmardok said:
Giest4life said:
I got that game for $2 on a Steam sale, and as unbelievable as it sounds, I'm regretting spending those $2 on it. I haven't even completed the first mission yet. It's stupid--oh-so-very stupid.
Man you really need to not post on whether or not a game is good if you couldn't even bring yourself to finish the first mission. What kind of valid opinion could you possibly be able to give? You didn't give it a chance. This is the kind of review that nobody should pay attention to.
What? That doesn't make sense. I don't have to slog through the game before I offer my opinion on it, hell, I don't even have to play half the game to know if its good. I did not like the game one bit and I wasn't going to be arsed to give the game a "fair" chance to impress me. My time is not for charity. The game should be good enough from the first mission for me to retain some interest in it. I'm actually surprised that people would have it any other way.

Audemas said:
Giest4life said:
I got that game for $2 on a Steam sale, and as unbelievable as it sounds, I'm regretting spending those $2 on it. I haven't even completed the first mission yet. It's stupid--oh-so-very stupid.
Could you be specific what about the game you didn't like it?
Sure.

Let's start off with the plot. I'm one of those guys who want a solid plot to have any interest in the game. I don't mind a few holes here and there, but Alpha Protocol's plot was positively vesicular. Here's the opening cut-scene: My character wakes up on an operating table. I'm clearly in some sort of lab. I've no idea where I am, how I got here, and who brought me there. A PDA on the counter in the room conveniently starts beeping the moment I wake up and a girl informs me that I'm currently in the brainwashing section of a special agent producing factory. "Just trust me" she says. "I don't have time to explain." Fair enough. I don't have any choice. But how about this a)I'm apparently a highly trained mercenary, and the best way to handle me is just to leave me completely unguarded. Not only that, the bastards didn't even bother cuffing or restraining me in any fashion. It gets worse. b)The retards placed all this high-tech equipment around me and left a PDA (unlocked) and with complete access to me. c) Lastly, but but certainly not the least in this jungle of idiocy, there are absolutely no security cameras or monitoring stations where I'm being held. Hell, even the fucking door is unlocked!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAA... OH MAN... that kills me... Dude, if you had finished the mission you'd have realized it was a test. You were being HAZED you idiot, that was your initiation into the Alpha Protocol organization! It wasn't supposed to be hard you were just supposed to be able to demonstrate your skills.

Seriously, you were being hazed. That's why it wasn't hard. You need to not review games anymore. Your opinions kinda blow.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Audemas said:
lordmardok said:
Alpha Protocol is one of those games that got way to little press for how good of a game it was. It has a robust upgrade system that lets you choose a variety of skills from stealth/utility-focus to various forms of melee and ranged combat. It does have the issue that allows you to build one way only to drop you in a scenario that requires a marginally different set of skills, but the story is good the gameplay is a lot of fun, and (HOLY SHIT) CHOICES ACTUALLY MATTER. For instance, in the first mission at the end you can choose to bring the bad guy in (the mission objective), shoot the guy (the vengeance objective), or accept his bribe and allow him to go. Each one gives out very real changes, characters talk to you differently, different weapon sale options are opened, etc...

Even the choices of what order you do missions in has a massive effect on the game.

So I would give a resounding yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.
Is there anything negative you can say about the game? While I like all the positives, I know it has it's faults or else it would have gotten better reviews.
Sure, every game has it's faults, for one the story is interesting but it's a little difficult to follow. There are a couple of skills that are just sorta useless which means if you sink points into them then you can kiss them goodbye. Also you basically HAVE to be able to stealth during some missions meaning that if didn't get the security cam-invisibility skill and various stealth skills you have to run and gun and just screw the bonus objective which is kind of annoying. Alternatively if you DID pick to specialize in stealth didn't take any of the gun talents very far the boss fights are ridiculously hard because they can't be insta-killed, stunned, etc... I ended up have to plink away at one guy while dodge rolling around because I couldn't get close to him without ending up as sashimi. Watch ZP's review for its main faults but I didn't find the storyline AS impenetrable as he did. Other than that though the game itself is remarkably solid despite having kind of a cliche storyline. It reminds me of spy vs. spy movies though, in a good way, the whole counter-covert ops stuff that I really enjoy.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Yes, but don't go into it expecting it to change your life, or hype it up to be the best thing since sliced bread, it has flaws, perhaps a lot more than most games do, but if you are patient it's worth persevering, and you will have a lot of fun with it.

Bloedhoest

Aug 11, 2011
Windcaler said:
AP is a great game if you like spy games. You can play it however you like and still be effective. I especially like going Stealth, unarmed, and pistols and you can complete the whole game, even boss fights with any combat style except maybe unarmed (but you can beat every boss except the Russian guy with unarmed only)

Problem is the game got a lot of bad/mediocre reviews just due to the bugs it has. I cant speak for others but the only bugs I ever experienced in 5 or 6 playthroughs was graphical ones which I can just overlook.

For 12 its a steal. Grab it, play it, and I can almost garantee you'll love it
This.
My first playthrough was stealth/unarmed and also a complete tosser executing all bosses. Second playthrough I used the "Hobo with a shotgun" approach. Sparing bosses though and making shitloads of money.
Now I play the tech savy not really stealthy guy.
So yeah, if you like this sort of games there is a lot of fun for your 12$.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Personally I really liked it. So I say buy it. 12 bucks is a pretty ok price IMHO. I paid a little less then that and I was very satisfied with the experience.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
It's not a bad game, but it's not exactly one I can recommend either. The conversation sections are great, but if you play it like a shooter, it sucks, and if you want to use stealth, it becomes insultingly easy towards the end (I upgraded my stealth to the point where I can be invisible for 20 seconds if I cock things up). The story is alright if you understand it, and the characters and faction motivations are pretty believable, and it gives you the choice of whether to save major characters or leave them to die so as not to endanger the mission. In short, it's worth getting, but not for more than £15.