Alright guys, whos up to the challenge? What's your favorite romantic comedy?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Romantic comedies aka the chick flic. The bane of any heterosexual males existance. If the stereotype is to be believed, men across the world hate these movies, but watch them with their girlfriend/wives in hopes of getting some action during or after the movie, usually but not always coupled with a romantic diner. Here is the wiki page for those who are forever alone unfamiliar with this genre: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_comedy_film

My question for you today is what is your favorite/ best romantic comedy you have seen
One you have either liked, tolerated or at least the least bad one you've seen.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not a Rom-Com fan by any means, but I thought "Love and Other Drugs" was pretty good. It was a cliche cheesefest, but its kinda endearing because the protagonists are actually likeable and charming. At the end of the day I think a Rom-Com lives or dies on whether you can actually tolerate the people who are meant to be in love, otherwise why are you watching it?

[small]AccursedTheory is correct in his answer though.[/small]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
As a manly man of manliness, I have zero shame in my favored Rom-Com. In fact, I'm so God damn manly that my favorite Rom-Com is ALSO a musical...

Moulin Rogue! [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203009/?ref_=nv_sr_1]

I freaking adore Ewan McGregor's singing voice. I am not a gay manly man but if he sang to me, I don't know if I could control myself...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I've got a soft spot in my heart for 'Love, Actually' although that's more a romantic drama that happens to be funny a lot of the time.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Romantic comedy was actually a legitimately great genre back when people like Lubitsch, Cukor and Wilder were around. It's weaker now, but as a hetero male, I've never had a problem with them

If I had to pick one, straight romantic comedy, it might be The Shop Around the Corner. But I also love The Philadelphia Story, The Marrying Kind, The Palm Beach Story, Seven Sweethearts and Unfaithfully Yours.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
I never really thought about Deadpool as a Romantic Comedy, but it makes sense when you think about it. As for a Traditional Romantic Comedy, I'll pick 500 Days of Summer, I somehow managed to get lumped into watching that with my sister and ended up enjoying the film in the end, maybe that was because it was a subversion of the genre though.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
I think Scott Pilgrim Versus the World technically counts as one, so I'm going with that...

Never got to watch it on any dates though...

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Young Frankenstein. Not much more to say than that. I mean yeah, Deadpool was wonderful, as was The Princess Bride, but I prefer Young Frankenstein. There might be something else buried in my brain somewhere worth mentioning. Dunno.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
There was one with Ryan Reynolds in Alaska that was tolerable, love actually was decent. There a lot that I don't hate but some 10 minutes in your just thinking to yourself who in the 7 hells thought this was even watchable.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Well, Princess Bride is the obvious choice.

But, if I had to go with a not-so-obvious choice, I'd say Jump Tomorrow.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't know if these count as romantic comedies (or care), but I really enjoyed Legally Blonde, Good Advice and Bring It On. Usually others similar to these are performed by incredibly loud, whiny, boring or obnoxious people, but I really enjoyed everyone's performance in these movies.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Off the top of my head, Two Weeks' Notice.

Concerning other entries people have brought up, I did enjoy Legally Blonde, but I don't think I'd call it a "romantic comedy." Comedy, sure, but the romance isn't really in the forefront. I also enjoyed Love, Actually, but while that's a film concerned with romance, it's not so much a comedy. Some of its plotlines most certainly are, others most certainly aren't.

Oh, and Deadpool, a.k.a. "Dick Jokes: The Movie" may be a comedy, but romantic? No. Nup, no way, not at all. Wade's motivations would remain the same regardless of Vanessa. She's basically a trophy that he gets at the film's end.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Off the top of my head, Two Weeks' Notice
That was literally what I was coming here to post that one. Then I got to thinking...

I was also thinking Miss Congenitality, Clueless, the first Princess Diaries, and Knotting Hill.

Wedding Singer and Something About Mary are both good.

Roxanne is good for the Steve Martin hilarity.

But my absolute favority is probably 10 Things I Hate About You. It's kind of The Perfect Storm of 90 tropes and Shakespeare adaptations.