Alright (insert game here), how the FUCK was I supposed to know that?!

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
ExiusXavarus said:
Final Fantasy XII. Zodiac Spear. how get?
You opened the treasure chests that you weren't supposed to, didn't you? Why oh why would you open the treasure chests your weren't supposed to? Are you crazy? You never open the treasure chests that you aren't supposed to!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
burningdragoon said:
ExiusXavarus said:
You opened the treasure chests that you weren't supposed to, didn't you? Why oh why would you open the treasure chests your weren't supposed to? Are you crazy? You never open the treasure chests that you aren't supposed to!
But I accidentally EVERY chest! D:

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
ThePenguinKnight said:
Every point and click adventure game ever made ever. . . yup that about sums it up.
To be fair though, most of them were just guilty of being obscure - you just had to keep clicking on things in your inventory or the environment until you found the right one, and it's rare that they ever resulted in breaking the game or killing you: you were just stuck until you found the right combination.

That said, the genre did have some notable exceptions to that rule. Anyone ever play Amazon: Guardians of Eden, for example? That game was full of them...

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Holy shit, I feel like a genius.

Immediately upon getting to that one bit in Phantom Hourglass, I rolled my eyes and solved it. "Gimmicks, ahoy!"

I guess I just assumed Nintendo would use the damn thing in every single hokey way possible.

guidance

Dec 9, 2010
Rayman forever. I replayed it over and over, thinking there was a bug in the game (I was 7 and not very smart) that kept me from unlocking the dessert level. How was I supposed to know you were actually supposed to save every last one of those pink things in cages. That game was my childhood and I've yet to beat it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Leemaster777 said:
FilipJPhry said:
Holy shit, you've posted over 2000 times in 8 months? That might be a record.

OT in Phantom Hourglass, I didn't know what the fuck to do with that 'close the DS' puzzle until I gave up on it. I closed my DS and thought I could figure it out later. I then opened it, and seeing the map like that just blew my fucking mind. Nintendo, you guys are geniuses.
Oh God, how could I forget THAT. I actually COULDN'T figure that one out. I had to go on Gamefaqs to figure it out. Felt like a freaking dumbass on that.
I actually found it kind of obvious, probably took me like a minute to try it out and it worked.

I don't think I'm smart, I think I just kind of got lucky in that instance lol.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Rastien said:

Fucking christ.

I am sorry i was like 13 at the time and was not used to this 4th wall breaking bullshit.

"check the back of the CD CASE" I HAD A BLOODY CD IN MY INVENTORY! i spent hours banging my head against a wall on this shit >:C

Yes im still mad and bitter about this -_-
This pisses me off, you don't ever have a CD in your inventory.

You do get an MO Disk, but it's not a CD.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
In the first Metroid, the game doesn't tell you anything and doesn't help you along even slightly.
Whenever I think of a "classic game difficulty" I think of Metroid and how it doesn't tell you a fucking thing and your control has to be flawless at many parts near the beginning of the fucking game.
Metroid is one of the only games I have played that made me bust out a pen and paper to draw the map just so I knew where the fuck I was.

There are also a whole lot of puzzles in Fez that you solve by checking online and then saying "how the fuck was I supposed to know that shit?!"

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
I think your Sonic 3 example is a good one. And no, you're not the only one who got held up at that point. Me, and all my friends, always had trouble with it too.

Well, I could spout the names of several different adventure games and call it a day (Riven, in particular, jumps out at me), but I've got another good one.

In one of the X-Men games for the Genesis (I forget exactly which one it is at the moment), when you get to the end of the game, you basically reach a dead end, with no way to proceed. The solution? Hit the reset button on your console. THAT will take you to the final screen.

What in the flying name of FUCK would lead you be believe that would work?
Haha... I remember that one. It was all about gentleness. You didn't press it so much as tap it. But yeah, we had no idea how to get past that when we were little. I'm pretty sure in the end, we used a cheat code to skip ahead to the final stage because our poor little minds drew a blank.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
The whole Romance thing in Dragon's Dogma. If you're not careful, you can end up making sweet gay love to the blacksmith or innkeeper.

That certain important subplot story quests can auto-fail or no longer be available; which also mean that further quests won't be available.

That the dash button can be used to manually aim spells while casting. I didn't realize that till the end of my Mage play-through. I was frantically casting spells and wanted to sprint while channeling and then I saw the target reticule moving, which normally auto-lockons .

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
In Overlord, there's this objective to find a maiden for the castle or something. I spent about an hour talking to every woman I could find, and nothing.

I still don't know how to finish that.

I actually quit that game because of how directionless it was. It was also a little too difficult, but maybe I was just bad.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Shax said:
OT: In Pokemon Emerald (And possibly the other Gen 3 games, I'm not sure), in the cave where you catch Regice, the way to open the door is to go up to it, press the A button, and then just stand there . . . for two freaking minutes. Come on, who's going to guess that?
...What? I thought that door was not meant to open! So I just left! Mother of god, after all these years, I find out this! I must go undust my Emerald version!
ExiusXavarus said:
Exactly. It was only because I had the guide that i was able to figure out not to open certain chests throughout the game. That's just mean, Square. Who could possibly guess that without a guide?!
And of course and as always, when i got the spear, I didn't need it anymore.
WanderingFool said:
Anyone remember MGS1 for the PS1? Where you had to contact "whats-her-name" by checking the code on the back of the disk case? Did anyone else look at that and go, "how the fuck do you look at the disk's back?

Specially painful when, after getting fed up and looking online, find out the frequency number is on the back of the disk case... the game's disk case that is!

Kojima... I know you did that to fuck with me... and I am not amused.
You know what sucks, though? When you buy the PS2 Collection and there's no such thing as looking in the back of the disc case. I literally checked every single codec channel until I found her. THAT is how I solved it.

Anyway, for a new one. I was playing Minecraft for the 360. Mind you, I've never played the PC version. Ever. And it is up until recently that I've found out about this game (A month ago, maybe?). So I decided to build a Nether gate because it said obsidian can cast a portal and stuff. So I did. But I decided to create a big gate so that my friends and I could go through without any problem, maybe all of us at the same time. But as many people know, you can only create small 4x4 (More or less) gates. My friend had to tell me that.

Oh, and the reason why i figured something was wrong was because I saw no portal when I finished building it. Once I made it smaller, I still saw no portal. Turns out, I need flint and steel to set it on fire and boom. Done.

I'd say Minecraft is the master at being ambiguous about stuff. I appreciate the game thinking I'm pretty smart to figure it out but...some help might be nice.

Theminimanx said:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuideDangIt

Do I win? I totally win, right?
NO! Not TV Tropes! What have you done?! Don't you know that's like drugs?! NOOOOOOOOOO--

Apr 5, 2008
dogstile said:
They do tell you to hurry, I just assumed they meant it and actually went. I figured i'd be coming back to HQ later :p
Damn your sharp ears, and damn Pritchard's smart-alec mouth. And damn Sarif HQ for having so many candy bars to steal. ;-)

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Mr Pantomime said:
Stalker: Call Of Pripyat, simply because it has no tutorial. I'd played a little SOC, so I knew to put my gun away when I talked to people. However, I didn't know how to do any of these things:

Holster my weapon
Use the artifact detector
Use Binoculars or Bolts
Equip weapon mods
Change ammo types

Those were the main problems, the rest were interesting to figure out. You need to holster your weapon in the first minute (ended up just dropping it). Also, the "echo" detector you get at the start is absolute trash that can't find artifacts, you need the "bear" detector. It isnt that hard to find if you know were it is, but if you don't you be stuck with a shitty detector for a long time.
I have STALKER Call of Pripyat and Shadow of Chernobyl, but I never got that far into them because I just could not figure out the game. So many things didn't make sense. I never fully understood artifacts, or how to find anything, or complete a shit ton of quests (and the timers......gggggrrrrrrrrrrr quest timers). I'm not bad at video games so I could give it another shot maybe, but its not very clear on its direction. Darn Russians...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
FilipJPhry said:
Holy shit, you've posted over 2000 times in 8 months? That might be a record.

OT in Phantom Hourglass, I didn't know what the fuck to do with that 'close the DS' puzzle until I gave up on it. I closed my DS and thought I could figure it out later. I then opened it, and seeing the map like that just blew my fucking mind. Nintendo, you guys are geniuses.
Oh God, how could I forget THAT. I actually COULDN'T figure that one out. I had to go on Gamefaqs to figure it out. Felt like a freaking dumbass on that.
Me to! Oh, I can top that. I wasn't to familiar with the DS's microphone, so I got stuck on the first temple, because I didn't know you needed to blow into the microphone to put out the candles.

Aug 20, 2011
I was playing through Ico recently. There's this one puzzle area where you have to swing on a rope over a chasm. The only problem is, tilting the control stick doesn't change your direction while swinging, and you're forced to swing at the wrong angle to make the jump. I spent probably an hour searching every square inch of the area for some clue, item, secret path... This was like 10 hours into the game, and the whole time I had believed that there was no way to rotate while hanging. Because I hadn't tried the shoulder buttons. Of COURSE ICO, the SHOULDER buttons. Not the analog stick, which up to this point was the only way to direct the character! There are actually a lot of really terrible puzzles in that game and SoTC. I love 'em, but wow. All the traditional game mechanics are horrible.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Mr.PlanetEater said:
Dfskelleton said:
Three words:
Sierra
Adventure
Games
The puzzles... I can't even begin to... ugh...
This x10000 in fact irc one of the games had a puzzle that involved throwing a pie at a Yeti. How the heck are you suppose to figure that out without dropping the same amount of Acid as it took to come up with that puzzle.
And then of course, there's the infamous Gabriel Knight Cat Hair Moustache puzzle. I don't even think that Acid could make someone dumb enough to think that spraying a cat so it runs through duct tape, and then combining the cat hair from the duct tape with syrup to make a disguise to fool a moped shop owner would make even the slightest hint of sense.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
In Spyro 1 in the Haunted Towers level there's a dragon and heap of gems that I just couldn't figure out how to get to. Turned out you have to go down both power ups and circle back around the outside of the tower, go up a ramp and then glide over to an island that has a whirly thing that lifts you up to the top of the tower. How the hell was I was I supposed to work that out!

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
RJ 17 said:
Leemaster777 said:
I think your Sonic 3 example is a good one. And no, you're not the only one who got held up at that point. Me, and all my friends, always had trouble with it too.

Well, I could spout the names of several different adventure games and call it a day (Riven, in particular, jumps out at me), but I've got another good one.

In one of the X-Men games for the Genesis (I forget exactly which one it is at the moment), when you get to the end of the game, you basically reach a dead end, with no way to proceed. The solution? Hit the reset button on your console. THAT will take you to the final screen.

What in the flying name of FUCK would lead you be believe that would work?
:p that one reminds of one from Metal Gear Solid...specifically when you're fighting the psychic guy that cheats by knowing every button you press and reacts accordingly, making him invincible.......unless you plug your controller into the player 2 slot.

Now I've never played MGS (I played MGS 2, but by all accounts that's one that is best left forgotten :p) so I don't know if there's any hints or tips that you have to plug your controller into the 2nd player slot. But if there isn't, I can't imagine how the hell you're supposed to think to do that.
I've actually never played MGS, but I do know about that boss fight. Apparently, if you call your commander or whatever enough times, he flat-out tells you to plug the controller into port 2. It is a bit ridiculous, though.
Ah, great days! I also spent hours crawling around Shadow Moses looking for a CD case before the penny dropped...

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
MRMIdAS2k said:
Rastien said:

Fucking christ.

I am sorry i was like 13 at the time and was not used to this 4th wall breaking bullshit.

"check the back of the CD CASE" I HAD A BLOODY CD IN MY INVENTORY! i spent hours banging my head against a wall on this shit >:C

Yes im still mad and bitter about this -_-
This pisses me off, you don't ever have a CD in your inventory.

You do get an MO Disk, but it's not a CD.

It does look like a CD and how we were supposed to know about this 4th wall breaking x)