Alternative medicine...

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
It's the Placebo effect. You know the great thing about the Placebo effect? If you take the actual medicine, you not only get the benefits of the placebo effect, but the benefits of the actual medicine as well! It's the best of both worlds! =D

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Things like traditional medicines are basically just modern medicines but less refined. Homeopathy is rubbish, if water genuinely had a memory then it would remember the bodies of the minimum of 9 people wt would pass through before reaching me and I really don't want that.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
By definition alternative medicine has either not been proved to work or been proved not to work.

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work?

Medicine.

EDIT: Also, this:

Daverson said:
It's the Placebo effect. You know the great thing about the Placebo effect? If you take the actual medicine, you not only get the benefits of the placebo effect, but the benefits of the actual medicine as well! It's the best of both worlds! =D

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
To paraphrase Dara O'Briain, at one point everything was "alternative medicine". The stuff that actually worked became "medicine".

So no. I think for the most part it's bull, or on par with sugar pills. Anything that does actually help can be found in more effective dosages at your pharmacy or on prescription.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
henritje said:
some of it is quackery and some of it might work.
just don,t use it when you have something live threatening (like cancer or AIDS).
This.

I do strive to be an open-minded person, but I am also very careful about fuzzy business like this. I've grown up all my life with a doctor for a dad, so I know that a lot of what is said about "alternative medicine" is complete poppycock. But of course, there's probably a lot of it that isn't. But I won't experiment.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Some effective medicines are classified as "alternative" because they aren't universal enough. For example, one day I had some cranberry juice and it cured a minor urinary tract infection that I didn't even know I had (I just suddenly felt fantastic, in that department). Only after it happened did I read that cranberry is an effective medicine for this, but I guess they've done studies and some people aren't helped by it, so it's still considered an alternative medicine, even though it worked as well for me as any course of antibiotics, etc.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
elcher said:
Elcarsh said:
elcher said:
Terrible advice.

I have successfully used TCM to cure my chronic bronchitis and have seen multiple people fight Cancer for years when "modern" medicine considered them "dead within a month".

At this point of time in modern science we dont really understand the human body or how everything interacts with it. Chinese Medicine somehow does this through experience - and while some of it might (and probably does) not make any sense a lot of it has proven successful over millenia for Billions of people.

And this is coming from a native german that lived in china for a long time.

Dont always trust "modern" medicine.
I have two words in response to that; prove it.

Come on, prove it! You'd be the first person in the world to do it.

Until you actually do prove your claims, nobody should believe a single word of what you just said. And I'm not just saying that to be confrontational, I'm saying it because you just made a number of claims that require scientific evidence.
This is hilarious.
Why would i need to prove this to anyone? I dont get a bronchitis anymore everytime i get sick, thats enough proof to me and my whole family; i really dont care if you believe me or not since this is just some forum on some site - why do you people need a paper or "press proof" of what has happened and what "different" medicine is capable of when you often criticize other "press" (and i use quotation marks for a reason!) like "the sun" or "Fox news" for being liars/bad mouthers etc ?

Are you really so shallow to only believe what public education tells you? How about you go to china to a traditional chinese doctor and (bring a translator with you cause this might be tricky otherwise) ask the people in the PACKED waiting room if his treatment helps them or has helped anyone they know.

It has helped me and i am living proof - what more do you want?

PS: label me a troll if you like, gaming "discussion" boards are ridiculous nowadays anyway.
You seem kind of touchy. If someone doubts you, reason with them, don't blow up and go off on a bizarre rant about how the media is teh evulz. There's a difference between verified, scientifically proven medicine, and something Fox news says? I don't really understand that part.

You notice how most herbal medicine promises to cure things that go away anyway? There's a reason for that.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Well, there's not really anything alternative about some of it, it's just been branded as such. There's no difference between taking some alternative medicines and taking a multi-vitamin or something.
Even if the alternative medicine doesn't work, there's been enough studies on the placebo effect to prove that if you think the medicine is working, you're more likely to get better on your own.

elcher

Mar 19, 2011
Blablahb said:
elcher said:
This is hilarious.
Why would i need to prove this to anyone? I dont get a bronchitis anymore everytime i get sick, thats enough proof to me and my whole family
Why would it need to be proven? Well, to show it's not utter bullshit is one thought that occurs.

Also did you know you grow out of chronic bronchitis naturally? It doesn't need curing. Ouch, entire claim sunk...
Yeah no.

I had it since i was a child - to be honest i dont know the whole medical implications of it etc. but every time i woul get sick (and that means from the beginning of my kognitive awakening) i would get a bronchitis. It would not.go.away. Doctors in the west could treat the symptoms and make me "get healthy faster" but it would still mean me lying in my fucking bed for at least 3-5 days having trouble BREATHING (which is something absolutely retarded if you ever had to endure that).

After i drank some tea out of different stuff for around 1 year i was cured. I still get sick often, but i dont have trouble breathing and i sure as hell dont lie in my bed all day hoping for it to go away.

There is all the proof that i personally need - if thats placebo (wait what, how would that even work on my lungs??) then so be it.Like religion, i really dont care what or how you believe in things as long as you dont try to manically convince other people otherwise.

PS: I am not talking about vodoo or somesuch, personally i have no experience with any of that, but of an educated chinese medicine doctor that could and would consult you to a treatment of "drinking tea" (i am not going to explain as the whole claim would just get me torn up by this whole community of know-it-alls).

Really guys, start tolerating... heck everything more.

All of these "in my opinion (herp i dont have any proof either)XX YY is happening blergh a blergh" posts/users are making me sad and furious. Why add nothing of value to a discussion except your own opinion of stuff you know nothing about of?

Esotera

May 5, 2011

Alternative medicine is by definition not proved, so it's not really that bad if there are no actual treatments involved, as at worse it's generally a placebo, and at best it might actually give some benefit to the patient.

But what really pisses me off is when people reject actual medicine for quack treatments. In a world without homeopathy, Bob Marley would still be alive. The same goes for Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse blood transfusions for their children, and anybody else on the planet who has rejected sound medical advice from multiple professionals.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
While dismissing the entire field would be narrow minded and indeed there is a lot of bias in the medical community towards folk remedies when anything that may work should be taken into consideration, there is a large amount of quackery and some skepticism is healthy in this topic, especially when some alternative cancer treatments literally involve taking cyanide. My general rule is that if a devoutly religious person suggests it, research it before taking up the offer. The stronger the medicine, the more cautious you should be.

elcher

Mar 19, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
elcher said:
Elcarsh said:
elcher said:
Terrible advice.

I have successfully used TCM to cure my chronic bronchitis and have seen multiple people fight Cancer for years when "modern" medicine considered them "dead within a month".

At this point of time in modern science we dont really understand the human body or how everything interacts with it. Chinese Medicine somehow does this through experience - and while some of it might (and probably does) not make any sense a lot of it has proven successful over millenia for Billions of people.

And this is coming from a native german that lived in china for a long time.

Dont always trust "modern" medicine.
I have two words in response to that; prove it.

Come on, prove it! You'd be the first person in the world to do it.

Until you actually do prove your claims, nobody should believe a single word of what you just said. And I'm not just saying that to be confrontational, I'm saying it because you just made a number of claims that require scientific evidence.
This is hilarious.
Why would i need to prove this to anyone? I dont get a bronchitis anymore everytime i get sick, thats enough proof to me and my whole family; i really dont care if you believe me or not since this is just some forum on some site - why do you people need a paper or "press proof" of what has happened and what "different" medicine is capable of when you often criticize other "press" (and i use quotation marks for a reason!) like "the sun" or "Fox news" for being liars/bad mouthers etc ?

Are you really so shallow to only believe what public education tells you? How about you go to china to a traditional chinese doctor and (bring a translator with you cause this might be tricky otherwise) ask the people in the PACKED waiting room if his treatment helps them or has helped anyone they know.

It has helped me and i am living proof - what more do you want?

PS: label me a troll if you like, gaming "discussion" boards are ridiculous nowadays anyway.
You seem kind of touchy. If someone doubts you, reason with them, don't blow up and go off on a bizarre rant about how the media is teh evulz. There's a difference between verified, scientifically proven medicine, and something Fox news says? I don't really understand that part.

You notice how most herbal medicine promises to cure things that go away anyway? There's a reason for that.
Except that i am not talking about "some flu" or something like that - i am talking about "my story" with chronic bronchitis and how Traditional Chinese Medicine helped me/my body to deal with it. I am touchy because people request irrational stuff like "sources" from me, when i am neither a known scientist, journalist or anything of the kind so that i can "prove it". My proof is that i am posting here about this topic, i cant give you more than that.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
It's largely the placebo effect. The placebo effect is massively powerful but we are only starting to understand it. There may be some examples where ingredients which actually work, but most of it is nonsense.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
Alternative medicine relies on placebo effects. Plain and simple. However, I wouldn't write this effect off so easily. The mind is a powerful thing and can actually cure you. If modern, researched medicine isn't working for someone, if alternative medicine allows them to believe they will get better to the point of triggering the placebo effect (provided the alternative medicine is something innocuous like herbal tea or sugar pills) then let them.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Depends on how you define "alternative medicine". Faith healing and homeopathy and all that is complete bullshit and anyone who seriously uses it as a viable alternative to medical science needs to be shot.

That said, Ancient Chinese Wisdom(tm) and things like that can actually be viable. A lot of people in the West tend to forget that China was the world leader in technology and science for several centuries (Arabs took it from them around 1000 AD, then the West claimed it circa 1600). A lot of the traditional Chinese remedies (herbal teas, acupuncture, etc) have some basis in science and as such can actually work. It's nowhere near as effective as modern medical science, and anyone using it to treat serious illnesses should die in agony, but it's somewhat effective against colds and other similarly light sicknesses.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
most of it is BS, but it could help with your average every day cold. then again, a lot of things can help with a cold. soup, rest, whatever.

TehRandom1

May 9, 2010
One thing which keep popping up seems to be the fact that alternative medicines do have some pharmacological effect due to some compound(s) contained within them. Of course, there are two major problems with natural products, so drug companies can't just sell them 'as-is'.

1. Variation. There is just too much variation between batches and within batches (i.e. between bottles and within bottles) in the active ingredient. One reason why we use tablets is because we can get an accurate dose to the patient. Natural products won't let us do that, leading to therapeutic failure due to underdose or toxicity due to overdose.

2. Composition. Do you know how many compounds can be contained within a plant? The answer is a lot. So sometimes for some herbal remedies, we just don't know what's causing the effects, as there may be some synergetic action between two or more compounds; or the compound could be a precursor (prodrug) to an active form of the compound. This is especially important for variation, as you can't measure variation if you don't know what's important to keep constant.

TL;DR: Some herbal medicines contain active ingredients, but in an unprocessed form, is not reliable enough to treat people.

brownie212

Nov 3, 2010
you want to use alternative medicine fine, just don't accept the fact that it's safe just because its "natural". arsenic, potassium cyanide, cobra venom, belladonna, these are all perfectly natural compounds. that doesn't mean they're safe to put in your body, so just think is it really worth the risk, to use something that has had no proven effect or even proven to have a negative effect just because a friend of a friend or someone on the internet said it helped them?

and yes science doesn't know everything, but as Dara O'Briain said that doesn't mean you can just make the rest up.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
henritje said:
some of it is quackery and some of it might work.
just don,t use it when you have something live threatening (like cancer or AIDS).
Pretty much my answer right here.

I'm not a medical scientist, so I won't go saying that it doesn't work. Stranger things have happened...just be aware of it's ambiguity and marketing scams.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Y'know a lot of the "alternative medicine" is pretty much medicine as it occurs in nature, we just haven't ground it up and put it in pill form.
Aspirin is white oak bark, morphine comes from poppies, Curare is a naturally occurring tranquilizer from a few south African plants. Often people call these things quackery because they came from plants as opposed to a lab.