Alternative medicine...

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Bull. Shit.

Well, i should clarify, I think HOMEOPATHIC medicine is bullshit. HOWEVER, I do think there are many other forms of less-conventional medicine that can be very effective.

For example, I've seen acupuncture do wonders for people; Every person I've ever heard try acupuncture have said fantastic things, and i watched acupuncture performed at my old world-religions class, on the parent of a student who suffered from a great deal of constant pain in his shoulder for years from taking a piece of shrapnel in Iraq. He was scheduled later that week to get another surgery to relieve the pain, tho none of the past surgeries had helped. He tried the acupuncture, and you could see his expression on his face ease significantly when he got the acupuncture, and claimed that it seriously helped. he then canceled his surgery for the pain, and scheduled a followup acupuncture session.
-Tho i must say, I don't think -all- of acupuncture is true, I'd bet that probably 30% of it doesn't work, but the rest is good

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
elcher said:
Blablahb said:
elcher said:
This is hilarious.
Why would i need to prove this to anyone? I dont get a bronchitis anymore everytime i get sick, thats enough proof to me and my whole family
Why would it need to be proven? Well, to show it's not utter bullshit is one thought that occurs.

Also did you know you grow out of chronic bronchitis naturally? It doesn't need curing. Ouch, entire claim sunk...
Yeah no.

I had it since i was a child - to be honest i dont know the whole medical implications of it etc. but every time i woul get sick (and that means from the beginning of my kognitive awakening) i would get a bronchitis. It would not.go.away. Doctors in the west could treat the symptoms and make me "get healthy faster" but it would still mean me lying in my fucking bed for at least 3-5 days having trouble BREATHING (which is something absolutely retarded if you ever had to endure that).

After i drank some tea out of different stuff for around 1 year i was cured. I still get sick often, but i dont have trouble breathing and i sure as hell dont lie in my bed all day hoping for it to go away.

There is all the proof that i personally need - if thats placebo (wait what, how would that even work on my lungs??) then so be it.Like religion, i really dont care what or how you believe in things as long as you dont try to manically convince other people otherwise.

PS: I am not talking about vodoo or somesuch, personally i have no experience with any of that, but of an educated chinese medicine doctor that could and would consult you to a treatment of "drinking tea" (i am not going to explain as the whole claim would just get me torn up by this whole community of know-it-alls).

Really guys, start tolerating... heck everything more.

All of these "in my opinion (herp i dont have any proof either)XX YY is happening blergh a blergh" posts/users are making me sad and furious. Why add nothing of value to a discussion except your own opinion of stuff you know nothing about of?
Heres the thing, what you have isn't proof, its one case of one thing changing because you started drinking some special tea. However, it is impossible for that to be the only thing that changed during that year, there could be a hundred different things that were different in both you and your environment. So until you can come back with actual proof, i.e. other people , same cure, controlled environment, then what you have doesn't mean shit in the eyes of medicine or science. And advising people about stuff that isn't proven is not only dangerous as hell, but incredibly irresponsible.

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
I don't know about some of the shady stuff, but some chinese remedies are great for lessening symptoms of the cold, when I had a pulled muscle or something similar in my neck and shoulders and found it difficult to move, a certain chemical really helped to loosen out the muscles, although that is chemically proven anyway, they'd give you it at the doctors, just under it's medical name.

Excuse my poor writing, I'm a bit tired.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
BRex21 said:
Y'know a lot of the "alternative medicine" is pretty much medicine as it occurs in nature, we just haven't ground it up and put it in pill form.
Aspirin is white oak bark, morphine comes from poppies, Curare is a naturally occurring tranquilizer from a few south African plants. Often people call these things quackery because they came from plants as opposed to a lab.
And the kicker that you fail to acknowledge is that those drugs in their natural forms have pretty bad side effects, white oak bark has the lovely side effect of stomach ulcers and bleeding.
Curare was used back in the day, but now we have better and safer anesthetics.

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
elcher said:
henritje said:
Crenelate said:
Edit: well multiple quotes didn't turn out very well :p

To answer the original question:

Alternative medicines are a weird topic. Do they themselves actually do anything. No no they don't, however the placebo effect is extremely powerful and taking something you believe works or has some ritual to it makes it more effective. As a simple example if you give somebody 2 sugar pills while they think it's some real medicine it will work better than if you give them one.

Henritje:

Modern medicine whether you believe it is correct or not is by definition modern and putting it in quotation marks doesn't make any sense.

Crenelate:

See first paragraph on placebo effect being underestimated also here:

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=862690

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
IMO, its just snake oil. Sure some of the medicines have some small effect, but if they do they've been tested by scientists, purified and in all likelyhood improved to be more efficient and act faster. Shit I once tried the plant that some pain killer was derived from (can't remember which, but it was one of the major over the counter 3). Did it work, I guess, it got rid of some small pain, but an advil would have taken care of the problem faster and wouldn't have tasted as bad. The vast majority of these "medicines" are really just placebos and you almost trick yourself into getting better. There's a reason the majority of these medicines are sold for stuff that will go away on its own like colds.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Homeopathy is pure and utter bullshit. It makes even less sense than the old middle age way of using red remedies against diseases with symptoms that make you red. admittedly they also put hot lead and feces in open wounds but it isn't that far of from the stupidities of some of the bullshit people talk about today.

Other than homeopathy, alternative medecine can sometimes help you through placebo effect, indirectly helping or in rare cases, actually cure your sickness. By definition, alternative medecine has not been proved to work or been proved not to work. Alternative medecine that has been proved to work is simply medecine. Alternative medecine is either pulled out of someones ass, "figured out" by idiots (the people in our study group in iceland had fewer cases of malaria than the people in africa who weren't given the drug GASP*) or in some cases, discovered by trial and error (and even most of these don't work or simply make you feel less sick).

As a thumb rule, alternative medecine is fake and practitioners are often evil manipulators or idiots. Now, I know people who tried alternative medecine and claim it helped but ffs, if you have a cold and slip into a pile of dog shit and just happen to get better the next day, will you plunge your face into dog feces every time you feel a bit under the weather?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
You find me recovering from a cold (I actually recovered a few days ago after a couple straight days of having herbal teas and manuka and just debased myself on a truckload of junk food) with a slight niggling cough and I've spent the last half hour alternately sipping and sniffing a hot concoction of nin jiom (I haven't the faintest idea either how it is anglicised from Cantonese or what it is in English).

Quackery? Or legitimate?
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

"Alternative" medicine is a mixture of ineffectual ritual and the placebo effect.

Let's use your cold as an example. The common cold is a virus, it can't be "cured" (if you ever find a vaccine, you'll be a billionaire), the best you can hope for is to alleviate the more uncomfortable effects until it runs its course. You're using a TCM infusion (by the sounds of it) and by all accounts you're making a recovery.

A supporter of TCM would use this as direct empirical evidence of the remedy's efficacy.

An actual physician would note that you using the TCM and the cold going are an example of correlation not proving causation. 1) Your cold would have gone anyway. 2) An infusion of ANYTHING would probably have provided a similar soothing effect - normal tea would have worked, or even just a cup of hot water.

TCM is popular because it offers hope to people who are frustrated by the limitations of accepted (real) medicine. Feeling a little fat? Well, you could watch your diet or exercise more. OR, you could pay some friendly little Chinese fellow a lot of money for some special "weight loss" tea. It has a reassuringly high price tag (because the good stuff has got to cost more, right?), it tastes suitably foul (so it must be really potent medicine, right?) and you know what, ever since I started taking it regularly, focusing more on my weight and appearance, and unconsciously eating less, I've started seeing real results! And my silly old doctor said it wouldn't work, ha!

If anybody wants to read more on the matter, I can't recommend highly enough the book Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, who unlike me (and 99.99% of The Escapist) is a qualified medical doctor and an engaging and persuasive writer to boot.

RQshadowe

May 22, 2010
"Alternative medicine has either been proved not to work, or not been proved to work.

You know what they call alternative medicine thats been proved to work?

Medicine."

Tim Minchin

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Well, my friend was given alternative Chinese medicine to help in curing his brittle asthma and multiple allergies when he was young. If I remember rightly, he woke up in hospital after vomiting blood and passing out.

If it works, it's stuck in tablet form and sold to hospitals because it keeps the population happy, working, and not-dead. We haven't stopped testing medicine recently, so all possibilities are being explored and I'd much rather wait for scientist to give me the go-ahead before I give my kid a garden-plant tea that could very well make my child much worse.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
heres all the medicine i need, asprin, silence, tequila and rusty scaple, and orange juice.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
BRex21 said:
Y'know a lot of the "alternative medicine" is pretty much medicine as it occurs in nature, we just haven't ground it up and put it in pill form.
Aspirin is white oak bark, morphine comes from poppies, Curare is a naturally occurring tranquilizer from a few south African plants. Often people call these things quackery because they came from plants as opposed to a lab.
Except an aspirin derivative comes from the bark of a willow not an oak, and its not aspirin, its salicylic acid. We refined that into aspirin as we know it today. The compound is different.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Alexander Bradley said:
It just depends on how your body works. There really isn't going to be one universal medicine people can take to get rid of any infection or disease. People's bodies work way too differently from each other in order to have that.
Well, that's pretty much the way it is. It's a blessing and a curse. It prevents widespread destruction because of individualized immunities, but it also prevents a single cure-all that works-for-all.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
As most here, I'd agree that homeopathy is useless besides the placebo effect, which can be hellishly effective, However, actual medicine has the benefit of both the placebo effect AND actually doing something.
On the other hand, herbal medicine can indeed have an actual effect. Often with more side-effects, and less of an active effect than actual medicine, but it still works somewhat.
And as of yet, I have at little experience with Chinese medicine.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Rednog said:
And the kicker that you fail to acknowledge is that those drugs in their natural forms have pretty bad side effects, white oak bark has the lovely side effect of stomach ulcers and bleeding.
Curare was used back in the day, but now we have better and safer anesthetics.
He's also just simply wrong on the first count. Aspirin (acetyl-salicylic acid) is derived the willow tree. Also, aspirin and curare aren't considered "alternative medicine", it's been synthesized for ages.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
elcher said:
Ironic Pirate said:
elcher said:
Elcarsh said:
elcher said:
Terrible advice.

I have successfully used TCM to cure my chronic bronchitis and have seen multiple people fight Cancer for years when "modern" medicine considered them "dead within a month".

At this point of time in modern science we dont really understand the human body or how everything interacts with it. Chinese Medicine somehow does this through experience - and while some of it might (and probably does) not make any sense a lot of it has proven successful over millenia for Billions of people.

And this is coming from a native german that lived in china for a long time.

Dont always trust "modern" medicine.
I have two words in response to that; prove it.

Come on, prove it! You'd be the first person in the world to do it.

Until you actually do prove your claims, nobody should believe a single word of what you just said. And I'm not just saying that to be confrontational, I'm saying it because you just made a number of claims that require scientific evidence.
This is hilarious.
Why would i need to prove this to anyone? I dont get a bronchitis anymore everytime i get sick, thats enough proof to me and my whole family; i really dont care if you believe me or not since this is just some forum on some site - why do you people need a paper or "press proof" of what has happened and what "different" medicine is capable of when you often criticize other "press" (and i use quotation marks for a reason!) like "the sun" or "Fox news" for being liars/bad mouthers etc ?

Are you really so shallow to only believe what public education tells you? How about you go to china to a traditional chinese doctor and (bring a translator with you cause this might be tricky otherwise) ask the people in the PACKED waiting room if his treatment helps them or has helped anyone they know.

It has helped me and i am living proof - what more do you want?

PS: label me a troll if you like, gaming "discussion" boards are ridiculous nowadays anyway.
You seem kind of touchy. If someone doubts you, reason with them, don't blow up and go off on a bizarre rant about how the media is teh evulz. There's a difference between verified, scientifically proven medicine, and something Fox news says? I don't really understand that part.

You notice how most herbal medicine promises to cure things that go away anyway? There's a reason for that.
Except that i am not talking about "some flu" or something like that - i am talking about "my story" with chronic bronchitis and how Traditional Chinese Medicine helped me/my body to deal with it. I am touchy because people request irrational stuff like "sources" from me, when i am neither a known scientist, journalist or anything of the kind so that i can "prove it". My proof is that i am posting here about this topic, i cant give you more than that.

That doesn't mean the medicine really helped you. I don't know much about chronic bronchitis, but I kinda doubt alt medicine helped it, and you can't expect people to believe in it (to the point of getting angry when they doubt you) when that's all the proof you have. I might legitimately see an alien, but if I have no proof I better expect to not be believed.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
bahumat42 said:
TCM is fine
i only hold an issue with this.

<youtube=s1UJ_qGZ24k>

homeopathy is dangerous and should not be given the credit it does.

*edit* Just thought id point out that most people are too reliant on pills anyway (pain, cough,sleep whatever using them too much reduces their usefulness)
That was good fun to watch. Simon Singh and Ben Goldacre are doing a sterling job of eliminating quackery and bad science in Britain and abroad.

Also, of course homeopathy is dangerous.

He died of an overdose.

In all honesty, though, I really don't like the concept of alternative medicine. I appreciate that there may well be genuine remedies in non-mainstream medicine, but for the most part it's simply a cynical con, targeted at people who sometimes are so desperate they'll try anything that comes with a promise and a smile (terminal cancer patients shelling out big money for supposed remedies spring to mind).

Even more frustrating are some of the more ardent supporters of alternative medicine, who, if you dare to suggest that their plain water carefully prepared homeopathic medicine is anything other than quackery and the placebo effect, will swamp you with anecdotes that they think are a suitable replacement for actual scientific process. And go wide-eyed whilst proclaiming "modern medicine doesn't know everything!" Well no, but it knows a damn sight more than your 'alternative' stuff.

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
As someone who has overdose purposely on homoeopathic pills to prove a point I'm going to say that it's a bunch of nonsense.

Medicine has scientific evidence to support it and "alternative" medicine has anecdotal at best.

A lot of people have quote his sexiness, Mr. Tim Minchin but I thought it would be best to share his best work as it's very appropriate.

<youtube=HhGuXCuDb1U>