Am About to play Mass Effect 3

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Abedeus said:
Wrong.

Anecdotal evidence is only invalid when it's about experience "someone else, somewhere else that I've heard of" had.

What I gave is my experience.
*facepalm*

Anecdotal evidence is invalid because individual examples are completely meaningless to statistics as a whole. That doesn't change if it's you or your best friend's sister's dog that had the experience.
It's true that the latter is even less valid, but that doesn't suddenly make the former valid instead.

Obviously SOME people dislike the endings of their own volition, as some people had to be the ones who started the hate craze. You just happen to be one of those few. What Draech was saying was that he personally believes that, even though a few people dislike it on their own, most people would be okay with it without the input of the internet hate craze.
Your single anecdote doesn't change that in the slightest.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I avoided spoilers until I finished the game... and I hated the ending. It really is that puppy-kicking bad. But OP is going in with low expectations, so maybe that will make it seem better by comparison. Interested to hear what the feedback is...

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
You will love the game up until the very end, and then you will no doubt be disappointed. Simple as that.

As for the people wanting to "retake it", I guess their plan sorta worked I guess, though there will no doubt be bitching at what they will do with the ending now.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's a great game. Even great games have bad parts. If you've been exposed to the outcry for this long then you might be slightly nullified to it.

Personally, I think the ending was pretty clever. It just stopped at an inappropriate time.

Captcha: bitter end.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Forget about the ending, better get ready to rage about the poor man's Gears of War combat system. Christ, it's sloppy.
I never struggled much with Mass Effect 1 and 2 when it came to killing, but ME3 really makes my blood boil when you are in a hectic fight.

You sprint, roll, go for cover and jump hurdles with the same button. Needless to say, when there are plenty of options around, ME3 can't decide and just let's you dart around like an overexcited labarador.

Forget the higher A.I. of the enemy, you are your own enemy.

As far as the ending, it's shit, but that's already been established. My suggestion is to stop right before the ending, and just fill in the blanks with your own imagination.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Abedeus said:
Anecdotal evidence is only invalid when it's about experience "someone else, somewhere else that I've heard of" had.
That's not what anecdotal means. Where did you come up with this? As Draech implies, you are in fact using anecdotal evidence. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever if it's your experience, or someone else's. It's still anecdotal. And it's anecdotal with a sample size of one, which makes it even less compelling.

Draech said:
My money is on "If you arn't already in the mob, then you will be ok with it" since I am under the impression that it is mob rule taking over.
I think you're right to SOME extent, in that the VOLUME of the outrage is largely driven by people constantly reinforcing one another's confirmation biases when it comes to the quality of the ending. If you go to the internet disliking or even just feeling uneasy about the ending, you're likely going to come away LOATHING it after reading some of the available commentary, much of which is extraordinarily negative.

However, no one inclined to like the ending is going to abruptly switch their opinion because they're confronted by a mob. That's not really how bias or opinion polarization works. If anything, anyone predisposed to like the ending tends to take the perspective that the ending was FANTASTIC and that anyone who didn't understand it was STUPID when confronted by ending haters.

If the ending was more or less 50/50 in terms of reaction to it, I think you'd see a lot more of a broken base, with entrenched camps on either side alternatively battering and praising the ending. As the commentary regarding the ending has been almost overwhelmingly negative, however, with pro-Bioware support aimed more at attacking complainers than endorsing the ending, I think it's safe to operate on the assumption that the ending was something of a consensus failure. The only stats we have support this, with about 90% against the ending. Those stats are self selecting, and ergo not scientifically rigorous in the least degree, but they're propped up by anecdotal experience.

Anyway I'm rambling.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maze1125 said:
Abedeus said:
Wrong.

*facepalm*

Anecdotal evidence is invalid because individual examples are completely meaningless to statistics as a whole. That doesn't change if it's you or your best friend's sister's dog that had the experience.
It's true that the latter is even less valid, but that doesn't suddenly make the former valid instead.

Obviously SOME people dislike the endings of their own volition, as some people had to be the ones who started the hate craze. You just happen to be one of those few. What Draech was saying was that he personally believes that, even though a few people dislike it on their own, most people would be okay with it without the input of the internet hate craze.
Okay, then his anecdotal evidence is valid, I guess.

Whatever you guys say.

And it's not some people. It's probably the majority of people. Judge it by any means - Reddit, BSN, PAX panel. You can always pull the "vocal minority" card, but that's not a very good argument.

I like how his "Iguess" or "I believe" is better than my anecdote. Didn't know one bad argument can be better than another bad argument.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Orange Monkey said:
OK, so My copy of Mass Effect 3 comes tomorrow, And I've managed to avoid having the ending spoiled for me so far, all I know is that it is apparently disappointing to the point where my comrades-in-arms are all polymorphed into Giant Squids of Anger. What I have to ask is this.

Is all the rage justified? I mean really, unbiased, objectively is the ending THAT BAD that it deserves this kind of unified outrage? I don't think i've ever seen such a massive fallout from how an otherwise much loved series failure.

Thoughts?
The game, up until the ending, is honestly one of Bioware's best products. The visual aesthetics are the best in the series, the dialogue now is incredible natural and flowing, combat is a nice balance of tactics and abilities that forces you to think about what team you use without railroading you into having to combo attacks all the time, and the whole atmosphere of the game gives a great sense of desperation, which considering the context of the game, makes it almost feel real as a result. However, that makes the ending all the more disappointing because it does not hold up to these levels of quality.

From an objective standpoint there are several things wrong with the ending. It's full of plot and logic holes, it uses outdated and lazy methods to conclude the series, and it blatantly ignores the primary themes of the series. No matter what side of the argument someone is on, these are still clear and measurable fuck-ups on Bioware's part.

Ultimately though, it's still up to you to decide, though it's a good bet that if you've played the other two ME games, then ME3's ending is going to have far more adverse effects on you vs. having just started the series with it.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Abedeus said:
Maze1125 said:
Abedeus said:
Wrong.

*facepalm*

Whatever you guys say.

And it's not some people. It's probably the majority of people. Judge it by any means - Reddit, BSN, PAX panel. You can always pull the "vocal minority" card, but that's not a very good argument.

I like how his "Iguess" or "I believe" is better than my anecdote. Didn't know one bad argument can be better than another bad argument.
He gave an opinion, presented it as such, and even explicitly said that he could be wrong.

You explicitly said he was wrong, presented it as a fact and gave no leeway for any possibility that your case might have been an exception.

Can you really not see the difference between those two cases, and how one might require less evidence backing it up than the other?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thememan said:
The game is above average. The ending is horrible.

Really, let's all be honest. It's wasn't like this was the second coming of Christ or what-have-you. It did nothing better than some of its contemporaries in any of the genres you can compare it to, and had some ridiculously bad decision making throughout.

Note: This is coming from a non-fan, but an avid gamer. I think everyone is viewing the damn game with rose-tinted glasses. I was wholly unimpressed by the game on almost every level.
No

all things considered ,the game was amazing...FOR ME, It did not dissapoint my expectations,

best game EVAR? I have no Idea, probably not

do I give a fuck? NO

the wonderful thing about is that we dont all have to have the same opionions as defined by some kind of "standard" or "scale"

in other words why shoudl I feel as "meh" about it as you?

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
To quote MrBtounge on youtube: "I cannot fathom what kind of decision making process could have produced such quality and such faliure in such close proximity".

Also this:
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=mass+effect+3+morpheus+ending&hl=it&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=TwO&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbnid=_XgCO0Iff0fDGM:&imgrefurl=http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D27724%26start%3D570&docid=mqK3YIW2MFGZJM&itg=1&imgurl=http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/272/516/477.jpg&w=682&h=536&ei=qkaIT46vOcLm4QTx0LDnCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=599&vpy=282&dur=1891&hovh=199&hovw=253&tx=30&ty=223&sig=108380442058309431303&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:90

Oh and to anyone who says the journey is more important than the conclusion, while that's true for some, it's not true for everyone:
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=mass+effect+3+ending+morpheus&hl=it&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Wnj&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbnid=ukxleaC2l1vp2M:&imgrefurl=http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/279173-mass-effect-3-endings-reception&docid=9ga0v7JxCcr4AM&imgurl=http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/279/173/5b9.jpg&w=492&h=412&ei=gkmIT6mFC83Nswbf0pn4Cg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=849&vpy=148&dur=5963&hovh=205&hovw=245&tx=43&ty=225&sig=108380442058309431303&page=4&tbnh=163&tbnw=220&start=58&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:58,i:204

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ChrisRedfield92 said:
To quote MrBtounge on youtube: "I cannot fathom what kind of decision making process could have produced such quality and such faliure in such close proximity".

Also this:
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=mass+effect+3+morpheus+ending&hl=it&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=TwO&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbnid=_XgCO0Iff0fDGM:&imgrefurl=http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D27724%26start%3D570&docid=mqK3YIW2MFGZJM&itg=1&imgurl=http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/272/516/477.jpg&w=682&h=536&ei=qkaIT46vOcLm4QTx0LDnCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=599&vpy=282&dur=1891&hovh=199&hovw=253&tx=30&ty=223&sig=108380442058309431303&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:90

Oh and to anyone who says the journey is more important than the conclusion, while that's true for some, it's not true for everyone:
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=mass+effect+3+ending+morpheus&hl=it&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Wnj&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbnid=ukxleaC2l1vp2M:&imgrefurl=http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/279173-mass-effect-3-endings-reception&docid=9ga0v7JxCcr4AM&imgurl=http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/279/173/5b9.jpg&w=492&h=412&ei=gkmIT6mFC83Nswbf0pn4Cg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=849&vpy=148&dur=5963&hovh=205&hovw=245&tx=43&ty=225&sig=108380442058309431303&page=4&tbnh=163&tbnw=220&start=58&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:58,i:204
Good grief, man. Was TinyURL down when you wrote this post? My freakin' eyes.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maze1125 said:
Abedeus said:
Maze1125 said:
Abedeus said:
Wrong.

*facepalm*

Whatever you guys say.

He gave an opinion, presented it as such, and even explicitly said that he could be wrong.

You explicitly said he was wrong, presented it as a fact and gave no leeway for any possibility that your case might have been an exception.

Can you really not see the difference between those two cases, and how one might require less evidence backing it up than the other?
He stated his opinion as if it was fact, i.e. "I think everyone who hates the ending does it because of group mentality", and I pretty much proved him wrong based on MY opinion that was "I hated the ending before the whole Retake thing or before half of the world even played the game".

Then it was something about me being unable to.. prove that I played the game before? Or that I finished it before 9th of March? Don't know, don't care.

All I know is you think my opinion is worse than his opinion. So I'm pretty much done talking to you.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
just play the game and enjoy it. I was a little worried when I got close to the end but once it was over I realized that there wasn't really anything to worry about and most of the people are just overreacting.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
My roommate thought the ending was good, I found it really predictable.

Honestly it ended exactly like I thought it would. Not bad but not good.

It's too bad you had to hear about the ending before experiencing it. Now you have no chance of forming an unbiased opinion.

May 17, 2010
Honestly avoiding hyperbole, IMHO, the ending doesn't work, it fails to communicate what I wanted to and instead opens up a huge amount of questions. So it is pretty dire. Really really dire. But some people don't mind it, indeed I think one or two people like it.

Really I think part of it depends on investment, if you find the ME series to be so so then you won't mind too much. If you really liked them, bought the merchandise, etc, you will probably feel insulted by it.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Orange Monkey said:
OK, so My copy of Mass Effect 3 comes tomorrow, And I've managed to avoid having the ending spoiled for me so far, all I know is that it is apparently disappointing to the point where my comrades-in-arms are all polymorphed into Giant Squids of Anger. What I have to ask is this.

Is all the rage justified? I mean really, unbiased, objectively is the ending THAT BAD that it deserves this kind of unified outrage? I don't think i've ever seen such a massive fallout from how an otherwise much loved series failure.

Thoughts?
I was like you once. I hadn't played the game yet, heard about the badness of the ending. I decided "I am not going in this game expecting the best ending in the universe, if it's fine then it's fine, won't bother me. How bad could they have done it?". So I imported my custom shep after doing some tweaking to get past the bug that prevents that and played all the way to the ending.

As I said, I didn't expect much but I was STILL EXTREMELY UNDERWHELMED, followed by great disappointment. Even though I expected nothing.Yep, that bad.