Am I a Gamer?

Mar 8, 2012
Gray-Philosophy said:
Am I a gamer? Q & A:

Do you enjoy playing games as a recreational activity in your spare time?

Yes [_]
No _[_]

If you answered Yes to the above question, you are a gamer.

Definition:

Gamer
Gam"er (gemər)

1. an individual who enjoys playing games as a recreational activity in their spare time.
*Edited for content.

It doesn't matter what kind of game you play, and avid video gamers have lost sight of that fact. If your grandmother weekly plays Bridge with her friends, then she's a gamer. So are all the kids in the "tabletop role playing" club at school. Even physical athletes count, such as those who participate in the Olympic Games.

So yes you are a "gamer," and so are a whole mess of other people.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
I guess the tiny subset of people who consider gamer to be their primary self-identity are freaked out at being in the same club as their moms.

Although I would love to be in a club with all their moms :D

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I have never and will never consider a person that plays a game a gamer. Gamer has always meant that you are a hobbyist, an enthusiast etc. It has nothing to do with trying to be exclusive or elitist or being better then the other person, whatever, simply a matter of definition. I don't consider myself a book enthusiast cause I read a book once in a blue moon, or a football enthusiast cause I happen to have kicked a ball. So I don't consider my mom a gamer cause she plays candy crush from time to time.

I do not consider myself as being better then those I would not define as gamers, look down at them or treat them differently as I would anyone else cause that would be stupid.

Capcha: Up or down
Well that is the question, isn't it?

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
bartholen said:
If everyone who plays games is a gamer, then I have the following questions:

Is everyone who plays the piano a pianist?
Is everyone who trains boxing a boxer?
Is everyone who swims on a regular basis a swimmer?
Is everyone who writes reviews on the internet a reviewer?
Sure, doesn't mean they are the best at what they do or are a professional.

Who cares anyway, it's just arguing about lines in the sand. The real question is whether or not you are a misogynist and whether or not you agree or disagree with Sarkeesian for the right reasons correct? Thats why this thread was made? At the end of the day you just have to remember to call yourself whatever you want and see if you can connect to other people with similar interests. Then you can all be happy gamers together. You don't have to care about what some insecure or holier than thou people or journalists or asshole thinks of you for daring to consider yourself a gamer or not.

Imrix

Nov 21, 2007
Off the top of my head, I think anybody involved enough in gaming to be reading the Escapist, and especially anybody involved enough to post here, is totally a gamer.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
Shingeki no Gingerbeard said:
Gray-Philosophy said:
*Edited for content.

It doesn't matter what kind of game you play, and avid video gamers have lost sight of that fact. If your grandmother weekly plays Bridge with her friends, then she's a gamer. So are all the kids in the "tabletop role playing" club at school. Even physical athletes count, such as those who participate in the Olympic Games.

So yes you are a "gamer," and so are a whole mess of other people.
Good point

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
On a scale of 1 to 10, you're a 15. You are the gamiest of the gamers just going off the stuff you've listed.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Kameburger said:
It's really not worth thinking about. If you follow all this bullshit, it'll just make your blood pressure go up.
given quite recent (and ultimately retarded) events, I can vouch for this comment.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
bartholen said:
If everyone who plays games is a gamer, then I have the following questions:

Is everyone who plays the piano a pianist?
Is everyone who trains boxing a boxer?
Is everyone who swims on a regular basis a swimmer?
Is everyone who writes reviews on the internet a reviewer?
Yes? unless your mean in a professional sense and if you follow that line then most here aren't gamers.

Apr 24, 2008
Is this some kind of riddle?

I would argue that you're doing the single most relevant thing to warrant the title. Feel free to call yourself whatever the hell you like though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ask yourself if you are. Write down your own answer.
Example: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/066f00334f/am-i-jewish