Am I dooming my future children?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'm naming my male child Chewbacca Gatsby Alexius Oliver Rockerfeller Baldry...So no, those are not weird names.

SpecJoe Magic

Jan 26, 2010
We named our daughter Eisley, which is uncommon, but I don't foresee any teasing. The only problem I see with it is some people want to pronounce the long "E" sound instead of the long "I" sound, but I explain to them that it's like the name Eisenhower or Einstein, and then it makes complete sense to them. I'm baffled that some people don't already know that.

My wife wanted to name our daughter Lyra originally, but I talked her out of it because my sister's name is Laura, and I think those names sound too much alike. I do like the name, though. I don't see any problems at all arising from that name.

I'm not a fan of Maes. It's almost too peculiar in my opinion. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it creates some confusion, though I don't see why it would be a tease worthy name. That said, what do I know? Our daughter's name has already created some pronunciation confusion, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with it even if some others think it's weird. Kids will find numerous ways to tease other kids. If it's not name teasing, then it might be some other type of teasing anyway. There's just no way to know for certain. A word of advice, choose a middle name you like that is more common, so that he could always be called by his middle name if he so chooses. That's why our daughter's middle name is Ruth. :)

Feb 9, 2011
My kids will nerve exist, so I can't answer that, but I think the girl's name is fine, though your son's potential name is an easy target. I probably wouldn't go with that.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Well speaking as someone who has a weird name (Crispin), I think that weird names are a blessing rather than a curse. I get more compliments about my name than I have been teased (Crispy Lee, Crispy Bacon, Crispy Duck, Rice Crispins...) and that was more in my early years, and most of it was just joking rather than actual teasing.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Foxblade618 said:
Another thread has brought up the issue of parents giving their children easily taunt-able and generally goofy names. My question to you all is this: am I dooming my children to the same fate by giving them uncommon names (Daughter: Lyra; Son: Maes - - yes, my wife and I are super nerds)

Also; any of you giving/or gave your children unique names?

EDIT: Maes is pronounced Mays
Lyra is passible, but your son is going to have serious issues growing up. Change it to something more masculine for his sake. I know it's "Mays", but "May" is a girl's name and the s isn't going to help any.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
The names you've chosen aren't bad, or I don't think they are. Trust me if someone named 'Marijuana Pepsi' can become successful despite her name - then you'll be fine with these choices.lol. Even though I don't have children, don't really like then, and probably wont have any on purpose - my spouse and I seem to enjoy long and elegant name choices.

Such as:
Elizabeth
Augustine
Genevieve (zhan-vee-EV)
Evangeline
Vivianne

The middle name choice for a girl always being, 'Louise' , after my husbands sister who passed away by unnatural means when she was nearly ten. And for a boy a middle name would be, 'Sven', for his brother who shared the same fate.

I can see those names being hell for a child just learning to spell and has to put her name on all of her papers, but she'll get over it. I haven't really thought of boy's names as much, because well,..I don't really like any of the ones I've heard. Besides perhaps, 'Spencer' or 'William'. Vincent perhaps. However, I was hovering over to my Mother's side for names such as Sidro. We pronounce it, 'See-Dro' with a rolling 'r'. Or, Gutamea pronounced 'Wa-ta-meh-ha' - for my Native grandmother.

So many choices and options, it's a wonder people can choose at all. lol

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
You're a legend! We need more unusual names out in this world. It kind of sucks to have one of my country's most common name as my given name. You can be sure if you stand in the middle of Stockholm and shout my name out at least 600 people will answer. ¬_¬

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I like the name Lyra, but I am not too sure on Maes, but I used to live upstairs from a girl called "Storm". I have heard of plenty of strange names, so I don't really see a problem with it as long as you give them a relatively normal middle name. My favourite name though, is courtesy of a friend of mine who like me, is really into David Lynch gave her son the name Lynch. I don't know why, but I really like that name.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Geralt would be a fine name. Tracey too. Either gender is fine.

SpecJoe Magic said:
We named our daughter Eisley, which is uncommon, but I don't foresee any teasing.
You named your daughter after a spaceport commonly described as: "A wretched hive of scum and villainy"? The Star Wars fans are gonna be all over that.

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
Foxblade618 said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Foxblade618 said:
Another thread has brought up the issue of parents giving their children easily taunt-able and generally goofy names. My question to you all is this: am I dooming my children to the same fate by giving them uncommon names (Daughter: Lyra; Son: Maes - - yes, my wife and I are super nerds)

I'm a huge geek and I don't get the refrences. As for my children, I will be naming them Axle and Tracker.
Ok, fair enough, I guess they're not that weird...though our dog is named Tahiri and our cat is named River.
New Jedi Order! I approve.

OP: I thing both of those names look fine as far as tauntability goes (namely, no easy taunts spring to mind) but mispronunciation is pretty likely, especially with Maes, since there are so many options that kinda fit. But honestly, these are the sorts of things that your kids will just have to learn to deal with. I have somewhat the opposite issue - my first name is extremely common, but it is three syllables long. So in my case, when I tell people my name, I get the strangest misspellings given how common the name is.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Foxblade618 said:

EDIT: Maes is pronounced Mays
If he grows up and becomes a Brigadier General (hopefully not post-humous), I will shit my pants.

EDIT:
I'm Reuel. I will be 24 next week. People still call me Roel/Raul. My nickname is Huey. People call me Louie or some other name. So yeah.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
F-I-D-O said:
Redlin5 said:
Still way too young and foolish to be a father. However, I don't want a John or Bill as my son. I want something unique, yes, but not easily tauntable. I don't see how Lyra will be ridiculed. Maes? I dunno, kids can be creative with their insulting...
I hope I pronunced it correctly in my mind
Maes? More like maize! Corn-boy!
However, if kids start calling each other names like these, it's better than alternatives.
I'd probably have odd names for my kids though, and until other kids get the references, your own are fairly okay.
If you wanted to be mean, make a common name spelled differently (ex Jeff = Geoff) so they're doomed to a life of mispronunciation.
Geoff is a shortening of Geoffrey.

It's a traditional and normal name. Jeff is an abomination.

(No my name isn't Geoff).

I don't think it's a problem. I personally like traditional names with at least 2 syllables preferably 3. (William, Richard, Geoffrey, Edward, Arthur, Albert for sons and Margaret, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Abigail, Evelyn for daughters.)

Fenix7 said:
Shockolate said:
I would be. I want to name my male children Gilgamesh and Malakai.
Malakia means wanker in greek. Jus thought you should know
Yeah, Malakai is a mispelling of Malachi, a traditionally Hebrew name.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
I read the entire first page and NO ONE has picked up on the fact that Lyra is the Italian currency... Seriously? That could be a mistake.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Please don't call your son Maes... I don't even know what thats from, but just, please. Don't.

Choose names that aren't common but also not unheard of, that you find attractive in some way. I havent put much thought into boy names, but here are some names I like for girls (I dont plan to have children so lease feel free to steal them)

Jasmine
Sophie
Amelle
Francesca
Veronica
Emelia/Amelia

Choosing a "nerdy name" for your child just because you and your wife are nerds is a bloody stupid idea. Pick names that sound good to say and to hear and wont get your child bullied or make them hate their name.

May 17, 2010
Inquisitor Slayde said:
I think I can contribute to this discussion in a way few others can. My parents gave me a pretty unusual name. I'd rather not say what it actually is but it's a latin word that shows up in scifi writing fairly regularly.

I do not like it.

I won't bore you with a lot details, but nothing positive has ever come from it. Mostly I just have to correct people, repeat myself and spell it for them. Also, I'm really tired of the 'That's an unusual name!' conversation.

I have given serious thought to changing it but dispite how much I dislike it it is part of my identity now and I can not decide on a 'normal' name that I'd like to go by instead and doing so really is a lot of trouble to go through. I might still change it one day though.

I have never told my parents I wish they'd just given me a normal name and I probably never will.

So, from someone who has an unusual name, don't do it. Do not make your child carry that (admittedly fairly small) burden because you think it's cool.
This is it. You are forcing your child to spend hours of his life telling people how to spell and pronounce his name. Also there is no reason why he would think it is cool or even be interested in the same thing. I would be a bit pissed of if my name was some TV character or worse a video game character's name. This is the name your kid will have to introduce himself with in board meetings with/

That said, OP go crazy. Just remember you aren't the one who has to live with it, your kid is.

May 17, 2010
Spade Lead said:
I read the entire first page and NO ONE has picked up on the fact that Lyra is the Italian currency... Seriously? That could be a mistake.

Wrong spelling. That said you do know of this currency called the Euro?