Am i the only one who likes DA2?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure everything you listed is why so many people are raging against the game. I'm enjoying it. My one real complaint is that I can't talk to my characters unless they want to talk to me. Every time I go see Merrill, all I get is "By the Dread Wolf! Why is my house always such a mess whenever people are here? It's clean sometimes, I swear." Adorable, but I would like to talk to you, and about you, like I did with Leliana. Oh well.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Rayne870 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
embedded for you, funny video, the man makes sense
Thanks muchly :) I'll have to learn this stuff eventually.
all you do is take the original link, for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6lzEhoXads
then remove the 'http://www.' and '.com/watch?v'
so that you're left with youtube=n6lzEhoXads and then add '' to the start and end :)

Sniper Team 4 said:
Every time I go see Merrill, all I get is "By the Dread Wolf! Why is my house always such a mess whenever people are here? It's clean sometimes, I swear." Adorable, but I would like to talk to you, and about you, like I did with Leliana. Oh well.
I agree that it would be nice to be able to talk more but the actual conversations you do have with your companions are much better than in origins in my opinion, also if you want to know WHEN your companions actually have something to say, check your journal and your companion will be in the list of quests.

Wabblefish said:
EDIT: I think they had something going making the game shorter but more story/action packed but they just didn't execute it properly enough, there wasn't enough incentive to do stuff, not enough change in Kirkwall, some of the epic factor was lost (the scale of some events weren't big or epic enough) and the environments were recycled. DAO just had so much more content.)
while the game is shorter, im 27 hours in and only just on act 3.. and you're right that alot of content is reused (there are only so many places gangs/demons can hide out in kirkwall it seems) i've never actually gotten bored, i loved origins but alot of the time i got bored, and combat felt like a chore.. so im actually glad alot of the sequences have been shortened

May 28, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Christ sake, why is it every time I refresh these forums there's ANOTHER thread about DAII?
It's not even that important a game.

Did just nothing else come out this last few weeks?
i figured i'd (somewhat) buck the trend and start a thread that was'nt moaning about the game (ironically im sort of moaning about the moaning but whatever)
And we all thank you for it, the constant stream of negativity is really annoying. I love DA2, my complaints about the game are very minor, but I can even see a point to why these features exist. Like the lack of variety in the environment, most of the dungeons seem to just be copied and pasted versions of each other.

The character seem to be built to suite specific roles, this kind of annoys me because it stops me from taking certain characters with me. However it does allow them to feel more like their own character not what I want them to, which is great :D.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I like it, but it's still a disappointment. I'm not very far, but already I've seen the same dungeon copy/pasted a few times. The combat is underwhelming too. I play as a warrior as I always have, and I've got a really good weapon, but I seem to be contributing almost nothing to the attack damage. I think the warrior is gimped in this game.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
rockyoumonkeys said:
I like it, but it's still a disappointment. I'm not very far, but already I've seen the same dungeon copy/pasted a few times. The combat is underwhelming too. I play as a warrior as I always have, and I've got a really good weapon, but I seem to be contributing almost nothing to the attack damage. I think the warrior is gimped in this game.
i'll agree with you there, i started the game as a male warrior but didnt like it so switched to a female mage... rogues are pretty awesome too
so its a bit of a shame that warriors are so bad this time around, although rogues did get the short end of the straw last time round

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
i'll agree with you there, i started the game as a male warrior but didnt like it so switched to a female mage... rogues are pretty awesome too
so its a bit of a shame that warriors are so bad this time around, although rogues did get the short end of the straw last time round
The problem is that the warrior was pretty awesome in that beginning bit before you make your character...so I guess eventually my character will be that powerful again, but it kind of sucks that I'll be kind of bad for most of the game.

But really, I think the other reason I'm gonna switch to rogue is because I kind of hate that dwarf guy, and so since I never use him, I never get to unlock any locked chests, since he's all you get for a while. I like his banter, but he's just not worth keeping around.

Of course, the other main reason I chose warrior was because most of the bonus stuff (weapons, Blood Dragon Armor, etc.) seems to be for warriors. But I think the Ser Isaac armor is for rogues, so that'll still be cool.

Ch@Z

Oct 18, 2009
Dragon Age 2
Pros- The environments are nice. Sure they reuse them but they have much more depth than Origins
The companions are as good as Origins. (Merrill is just awesome)
Hawke is funny.
The combat has....some improvements. (you can now upgrade your talents and spells)

Cons- No central conflict.
The combat is not as fun as Origins. Too many enemies in each fight and they all fall too quickly. Should have had less enemies but make them stronger like in Origins.

So overall yeah I liked DA2. It's no Origins but it dose make me mad when people give DA2 like 1 out of 10 in Metacritic or Gamespot.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
rockyoumonkeys said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
The problem is that the warrior was pretty awesome in that beginning bit before you make your character...so I guess eventually my character will be that powerful again, but it kind of sucks that I'll be kind of bad for most of the game.

But really, I think the other reason I'm gonna switch to rogue is because I kind of hate that dwarf guy, and so since I never use him, I never get to unlock any locked chests, since he's all you get for a while. I like his banter, but he's just not worth keeping around.

Of course, the other main reason I chose warrior was because most of the bonus stuff (weapons, Blood Dragon Armor, etc.) seems to be for warriors. But I think the Ser Isaac armor is for rogues, so that'll still be cool.
how can you not like varric? he's my favourite after merrill, he can do a buttload of damage and is good for the chests aswell. ah well personal preferance i guess...
my party normally consists of myself, varric, merrill and isabela, so 2 rogues and 2 mages... i dont really like fenris and i find the damage from the other characters more useful than avelines tanking

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
rockyoumonkeys said:

how can you not like varric? he's my favourite after merrill, he can do a buttload of damage and is good for the chests aswell. ah well personal preferance i guess...
my party normally consists of myself, varric, merrill and isabela, so 2 rogues and 2 mages... i dont really like fenris and i find the damage from the other characters more useful than avelines tanking
I don't like his attitude (though like I said, some of his banter is amusing), and I definitely don't like that he only uses his dumb crossbow thing. It means I'm the only one in there facing enemies head on. If he could dual wield knives, he'd be a lot better.

But mostly I just don't like dwarves, period. I'm dwarfist. I admit it.

Even if I liked him, he'd still be the odd man out, because I like the other three characters at the beginning more, though Aveline took a little while to grow on me. She's still painful to look at, I think she was modeled after Eric Stoltz' character from Mask. So no romance with her.

But I do agree that Merrill's the best. Between her and Bethany, I have no room for another mage in my party.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I haven't played it yet, but i do know few things about it.

1). I know i like it, Demo is a lot of fun!
2). It's completely different to DA:O so many fans of the original won't like it (like a few of my mates)
3). But despite point 2, it may bring in new fans of the game, and possibly the series.
4). Despite what people say, the characters are awesome, if Bioware get anything right it's always the characters!
5). Fans need to stop bitching!

I can't wait to get it, but Bulletstorm is first =3

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I got through it in about 30 hours so thats ok, but it feels like DA:O was longer. Why did they reinvent the character models? The elves were fine in DA:O; Flemith looks sooooo much better in DA2; How the hell do the Qunari go from white haired giants to almost demon looking with horns? Other then that.... My X button is getting worn out and I only got my PS3 two days before DA2 came out. Gifts for friendship are out, that makes it soooo much harder to keep group members happy. Last, I understand my companions like their clothes, but if I have something that will keep them from getting killed they would probbably put it on like in DA:O.

One thing I did like was that there was no "right" answer in DA2 like in DA:O. In DA2 think of the worst thing that could happen because of any decision and you probbably will not be too far off. DA:O had a "sweet spot" if you knew how the events affected each other to get a really good ending. For example, save the circle and then go save the kid in Redcliff with what's her face healer in your party. Everyone wins..... none of my decisions came out that clean in DA2.

Overall, it feels like they advanced the game while watering down the hard core RPG elements. However, unlike DA:O I can't bring myself to immediately start another character, but that might be to the lack of origin options too. :(

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
Its great and I love it. Not as good as the first, since it took out things I liked. Now I'm not even half way. But it is too Mass Effect like, and I mean that in a good and bad way. Sure the combat is better and fully voiced. But the item , management and the menu are the same ass ME2. I cant change my teams armor? Why the hell not? Also the story in the beginning isnt really interesting, yet so the intro is a bit slow. All in all I love it and no regrets. Its just ME2 with swords.
I do like some of the inventory changes, in me2 they removed wayyyy to much, but i feel they got it right here. as for not being able to change your characters armour, i think the amour is more a part of their character now, its a part of who they are. Also, would you let your friends dress you up?
I think it suits the fact that your "companions" are just your group of friends here, not your followers, and you all have your own lives. Varric heads the Merchant's Guild, Aveline is the guard captain, Merrill moves into the alienage, Fenris, um, squats in a mansion for six years and broods...

And I like that they visit each other occasionally, and chat about unrelated stuff when you come in. Sure, they don't all get along, but it feels more like a group of people that have known each other for years, and not an adventuring party sworn to loyalty a week ago.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
I've thoroughly enjoyed the game so far. The characters are well defined, the story sucks you in, and the combat is fun, if a little over the top. It is a bit buggy, though. Other than that, it's my favorite game so far this year.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm pretty sure everything you listed is why so many people are raging against the game. I'm enjoying it. My one real complaint is that I can't talk to my characters unless they want to talk to me. Every time I go see Merrill, all I get is "By the Dread Wolf! Why is my house always such a mess whenever people are here? It's clean sometimes, I swear." Adorable, but I would like to talk to you, and about you, like I did with Leliana. Oh well.
Same, she never says anything new.