Am I the only person who kind of hates Valve?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
massive snip
Wow. My God the arrogance in your post literally made my head spin. I'm just about dumbfounded. And before you get an even greater sense of a "holier than thou" feeling, it's not because you've refuted my points and "put me in my place". It's because of how purely non-sensical the whole thing was.

Whenever you cited one of my points, and then tried to refute it, you seemed to completely ignore my assertion when you'd move onto the next. It made no sense.

It's also humorously ironic that you constantly insist "citations needed" yet yourself only offer vague examples. You keep talking about "significant free DLC" from some companies but have yet to offer any real evidence of them. You're just name dropping.

Also, selectively impossible? Ha! You're joking right? Please God tell me that last bit was a joke.

Regardless, I'm done with this. Part of me wants to go through you rather insulting post and re-refute each of your added points, but you know what? It's not worth my time. In fact, I'm regretting even spending the time to type this response. It's quite clear you've set it in your head that Valve is some "greedy, corrupt bastard of a company" and is clearly the greatest evil in the gaming world. You remind me of those people that claim the moon landing was faked. No matter what evidence you show them to the contrary they will simply deny your assertions and offer up some vague evidence of their own. I learned years ago the best way to deal with these types of people is to just ignore them. So...that's what I'm going to do. Have a nice day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go open that evil, soulless application they call "Steam" and play some Left 4 Dead 2. You know, that game with free match-making and more than five gigs of free DLC given to me and everyone else by those greedy, heartless bastards over at Valve. How dare they?

Azure9

Sep 19, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
I don't hate Valve. I do, however, quite dislike their ravenous cultish fanbase that believes everything they do is amazing, perfect and beyond reproach.
This; a thousand times this

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Their output consists almost entirely of shooters, which I'm indifferent to, and I'm getting really sick of gamers constantly regurgitating Valve memes.

Steam, however, is a good thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
massive snip
Wow. My God the arrogance in your post literally made my head spin. I'm just about dumbfounded. And before you get an even greater sense of a "holier than thou" feeling, it's not because you've refuted my points and "put me in my place". It's because of how purely non-sensical the whole thing was.

Whenever you cited one of my points, and then tried to refute it, you seemed to completely ignore my assertion when you'd move onto the next. It made no sense.

It's also humorously ironic that you constantly insist "citations needed" yet yourself only offer vague examples. You keep talking about "significant free DLC" from some companies but have yet to offer any real evidence of them. You're just name dropping.

Also, selectively impossible? Ha! You're joking right? Please God tell me that last bit was a joke.

Regardless, I'm done with this. Part of me wants to go through you rather insulting post and re-refute each of your added points, but you know what? It's not worth my time. In fact, I'm regretting even spending the time to type this response. It's quite clear you've set it in your head that Valve is some "greedy, corrupt bastard of a company" and is clearly the greatest evil in the gaming world. You remind me of those people that claim the moon landing was faked. No matter what evidence you show them to the contrary they will simply deny your assertions and offer up some vague evidence of their own. I learned years ago the best way to deal with these types of people is to just ignore them. So...that's what I'm going to do. Have a nice day.
Hey, if you can't refute me, just say so. Veiled personal attacks are unnecessary.

I'm sorry you could not come up with a solid argument.

Speaking of:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go open that evil, soulless application they call "Steam" and play some Left 4 Dead 2. You know, that game with free match-making and more than five gigs of free DLC given to me and everyone else by those greedy, heartless bastards over at Valve. How dare they?
Woohoo! You knock that strawman down! I bet it never saw that hit coming.

EDIT: "Name dropping." Yes, dropping the names of actual examples where it's been done. In other words, doing what you're not.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
And please don't cite valve. They lie about patches and DLC.
[citation needed]

Not that I love Valve overly, but it'd be nice for you to provide evidence while asking other people to do the same.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Zeh Don said:
brainslurper said:
They are also a relatively small studio. The fact that they are able to make any games at all, good or bad is amazing by my standards.
Valve are more profitable than Apple. Let that sink in.

Valve is positioning itself in between gamers and their games.
Valve "are" not more profitable then apple. Apple builds iPhones $200, sells them for $200, and then gets $600 from the service provider. They have more money in the bank then the US government. While the cut valve takes from steam sales can be 10% above the cut apple takes from the app store, this certainly doesn't make valve a more profitable company.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
McMarbles said:
Steam, however, is a good thing.
Digitial Distribution is a good thing. The entire PC Games Industry routed through a single company who takes a 30% of every single transaction in the process is not. Steam is as healthly for the games industry in the long term as smoking is to your lungs.

People are happy to blindly accept anything if it gives them what they want. Steam gives them cheap games, and so they'll defend it to the death.

Valve have already used their immense muscle to strong arm EA Games - one of the largest most powerful companies in the entire Video Game industry. They didn't want developers selling in-game DLC, because they don't get a cut. So, they pulled EA's offending games without so much as a heads up. How long before they decided to put a few more rules on developers?

They're quite happy for other digitial distribution services to sell games that are shackled to their own Store Client, but they're not happy to have games that require other Store Clients on their service.
Hypocrites are never the people who want running the show.

Valve make decent games. Don't let that blind you to the forming cancer.

etcake_13

Oct 21, 2011
I love Valve games, and I love Steam. But I kinda hate the way people treat Valve with a god-like status for the sole reason of they made Half Life. I don't see people worshipping Ion Storm, and they made Deus Ex, for god's sake.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Valve time is horrible, the end result seems to always be worth the wait. Though it would be nice if HL: E3 was released before I no longer can hold a mouse.