Amazing Games...That You Never Finished?

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Thief 2. That's one hawt game. I don't know what happens at the end. Garrett steals all the legs of venison in the world and eats himself to death, I would assume.

liviebutton

Jan 29, 2015
The Witcher. The first time I played it I nearly got to the boss battle at the wizard's tower (in the swamp). And the game crashed and realized later that I had forgotten to save for about 7 hours.

The second time I got pretty far, I think I got up to Chapter III and then we got a new computer and I forgot that The Witcher doesn't have a cloud save. And I'm too lazy to hook up the other to retrieve the save file. I will eventually do it, I suppose, but at the moment I'm reading too many books to get back into gaming again.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Halo 4, though it's not a great game to me, it's generally considered as such. I dunno, I think the new art style and look for everything put me off more than anything.

As for one I actually like, I poured like 30 hours into Dark Souls 2 in a short span, and now haven't touched it in a few weeks. Really need to go back and play it. Hell, I still actually need to beat Demons' and Dark 1, I got stuck in both of those on bosses very near the end so sorta gave up and never went back.

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Stronghold 1: Couldn't beat the last mission of the Wolf without cheating.
Crusader Kings II: I plan on completing a playthrough very soon, but so far, the vast loading times and the chore of cleaning all revolts off the map while you own +90% of it, is just tedious and slow.
Command and Conquer: Didn't manage to beat some missions while I was young. Ever since, I've been trying to get my hands on a working version for windows 7 and up.
Final Fantasy 7: While it doesn't do anything wrong or has something called a dealbreaker for me, I just can't motivate myself to continue playing.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Witcher 2. My computer can barely run it and the framerate is so bad it's marginally unplayable so I've only finished the tutorial and the first section. I'd love to come back and play it once I get a better computer.

Funny thing is, the computer I'm using can run Metro 2033 on high settings, so I figured that I'd be able to run Witcher, but even on the lowest settings it chugs. Rather disappointing.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
baddude1337 said:
Halo 4, though it's not a great game to me, it's generally considered as such. I dunno, I think the new art style and look for everything put me off more than anything.

As for one I actually like, I poured like 30 hours into Dark Souls 2 in a short span, and now haven't touched it in a few weeks. Really need to go back and play it. Hell, I still actually need to beat Demons' and Dark 1, I got stuck in both of those on bosses very near the end so sorta gave up and never went back.
Which Dark Souls 1 boss did you get stuck on?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Deus Ex Human Revolution. Annoying controls, awkward 3rd person/1st person controls, cutscene takedowns, weird stealth, and just soooo much to do. I really couldn't see what people liked so much about it.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Alan Wake - Enjoyed the game and the story quite a lot and still want to know what happens. For some reason, I just didn't enjoy the shooting and fighting mechanics (even though the controls are done quite well) enough to go through with it 'till the end.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - I think I got around the halfway mark if IIRC. Don't think I'll even finish it, although it played really well the story just didn't draw me in that much and I found the combat a bit repetitive, although fun.

Divinity: Original Sin - Not sure why I'm including it here, because it's a stellar game and I DO intend to finish this one, one day. However, it somehow got pushed down the backlog list when I changed computers, and with the Witcher 3 hovering ever so much closer every day, I'm not sure I'll get around to it that soon, since I spread out my super long RPG's out quite a bit, and intend on playing Witcher 2 again first, and then decide between continuing Divinity or hitting Dragon Age: Inquisition.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
This game is awesome, I couldn't stop playing to be honest. But really I just hit a point that I went "Screw it" and just stopped.
Do I want to start again? Yes, for the love of God SOMETHING motivate me to get back in because I feel so burned out just THINKING of putting the disc back in. And that's sad for me because it only took making my character trek across the entire map to truly appreciate how everything looked. It just looked so great! And the combat was fine each time I had it, but god damn it I've just never settled on something.

Assassin's Creed III.
I thought it was just fine. Connor was fine, the gameplay was fine, the story was fine, we still didn't get rid of the god damn future storyline, but yeah I think it was just fine as a game. Nothing much wrong I found in it. Okay there shouldn't have been like 4 god damn dragged sequences before we get to the actual freaking game but whatever. But I just can't bring myself to play it longer. It's a damn good game with alot that I want to do in it, but I just can't bring myself to.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Far Cry 3. Really solid shooting with guns that felt great to use, great open world, lots of diversions, main questline isn't as bad as most sandbox storylines, Jason is a great character, the game looks nice.

Think what ultimately did me in was the annoyance of traversing through the world, since vehicles are irregularly placed and you usually end up running every place. The main questline's missions are pretty disappointing: they usually have you go through a linear cave, mess around with platforming, then begrudingly introduce enemies for you to stealth or fight, over and over for different reasons and with different cutscenes, but always a similar linear area with a fairly easy fight. Plus health is pretty meaningless, when you can upgrade quickheal to heal you to full health at any point in combat, provided you have a two second breather.

The co-op multiplayer is a barrel of fun, though. Still linear, but the areas you fight in are huge enough that there's a different way you'll be fighting it every time, and it throws rather hard objectives at you, with less health cheesing, and a fair amount of enemies.

EDIT:

Okami too, one part because my PS2 bricked, another part because I was fairly far into the story and I had no idea what was going on, where I was, and if I could backtrack to all these places I thought I missed. Didn't like that constant feeling that I was missing out on a lot of content because I simply did not know if there was content somewhere else.

Sounga

Sep 23, 2013
When i think about it a lot of games i enjoyed I've never finished.
Majoras mask and Ocarina of time i used to play at a cousins who didn't have a memory card i was really familiar with the first few dungeons of OOT but majors mask Ive never gotten to the first.
I really enjoyed windwaker too but again it was a game i was borrowing so while i got quite far never finished.
Fire emblem sacred stones i believe i quit right at the final boss because i couldn't be asked enjoyed the game up till then and spent hours in the tower but the final boss i never defeated.
Morrowind i only got a bit into but kept restarting.
Bio shock infinite and Dues ex human revolution i enjoyed playing for a while but eventually just stopped.
While I feel like there are more can't remember at the moment. I have the same issue with pretty much all forms of media after a while ill just stop and never return. Weirdly though if i do complete a game I usually go for all the extra stuff too.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Fallout: New Vegas. Great game. I played a lot of it, maxed out my level, did all sorts of side quests, but never did get around to tracking down Benny, lol. I really lost interest when I hit the level cap.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Fallout, New Vegas: Loved the hell out of the game, but towards the end I got completely confused as to what I was supposed to do next to actually 'end' the game. Eventually I just got bored and it sort of fell by the wayside.

South Park: The Stick of Truth: I actually really, really, liked this game, and I thought it was hysterical, but I got about 80% of the way through it and then accidentally saved over my first game with a second game. Realizing now that I was going to have to play through the entire thing again just to see the ending (and also because the jokes obviously wouldn't be as good the 2nd time around) I couldn't get back into it.

Path of Exile: I'm actually playing this game again, and I absolutely love it, but the first time I played it, I got so frustrated in act 3 that I just couldn't continue. That game doesn't have a difficulty curve, it has a difficulty plateau. Hoping this character will fair better.

Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV (both for basically the same reason): I could totally see why people love these games, but I played both of them for about 15-20 hours, and never felt like I was making an iota of progress in the story. I could live with a slow-going story if the game included some sort of upgrade or "see your character get better" system, but neither game really had it, and eventually I just couldn't inspire myself to keep going.

Earth 2160: I still argue that Earth 2160 is one of the most underrated RTS games of all time, but the voice acting and plot in the campaign are SOOO bad that it's almost impossible to play through it.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
OT: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Truth be told, this game is absolutely amazing. I love everything about it and the fighting is above average in most modern games. But ... I couldn't both finishing it. Simply because I really didn't see the point. Most enemies felt the same wave after wave, plus I felt like PvPing more than fighting AI enemies overall.

I plan on finishing it. The game deserves to be played till the end.
Most of the games above fall into one of two categories:

I too didn't finish them: Amalur, Ocarina, Ico, FFVII, Drakengard 3 (I plan to what got to me was the aiming mechanics about half way in. I hate when they introduce half baked mechanics half way in)

I did finish but can see how folks could get sidetracked: Red Dead, Far Cry 3 (what an awesome game!), Bioshock, Dark Souls etc.

But MGR:R? Dammit son, that game is TITE! Get back on yo ass and finish immediatly! Yes, there is fewer enemy types than in other games in the genre but the level design, the waves, and the mix of enemies keeps you on your feet. They also do a nice job mixing it up on different difficulties. Then, of course, there is the issue of the final boss. Where I couldn't figure out what the game even wanted from me for a while. But in all seriousness, that is not a game to keep on your unfinished list!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Red Dead Redemption: I was interrupted by a RRoD, and never picked it up again. I also felt aimless wandering around Mexico.

Final Fantasy VIII: Got stuck in the sewers, and eventually gave it to cute girl at school.

Crusader Kings: Load the game, crashes. Humble Bundle sale so I'm not feeling of my money.

Banner Saga: Started, got Dragon Age Inquisition, but that's only a temporary hiatus . . . probably.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
Starbird said:
- Skyrim.
No disrespect to yah Itachi, but no one can ever finish Skyrim. Sure you can complete the main quest and finish all the guild quests ... but personally Skyrim has WAYYYYYYY to many missions and side quests along with hidden quests tucked in there. Even my best friend who's a huge Elder Scroll fan has not done everything in Skyrim. Especially if you include mods on the PC for quests than you're literally on a never ending journey.

OT: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Truth be told, this game is absolutely amazing. I love everything about it and the fighting is above average in most modern games. But ... I couldn't both finishing it. Simply because I really didn't see the point. Most enemies felt the same wave after wave, plus I felt like PvPing more than fighting AI enemies overall.

I plan on finishing it. The game deserves to be played till the end.
:D. I never got past the bit after the dragon resurrects another dragon and you get sent to infiltrate a ball or something. I wander the world aimlessly for a while, generally do mage guild quests and end up doing something else or rerolling.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Morrowind, I probably need to do that some time. I may put some more time in on it today... I seriously can't stand talking to people in that game though. The dialogue system is so dull and after a couple trips into a town, I grow weary of the game.

Bioshock, I have actually taken it off my backlog. I am still irritated when I see people call this an "RPG" as that very much soured my experience. Had people said it was a shooter, I might have enjoyed it more. I am not sure, but that isn't it's only problem. The game is just too easy and I find having to walk from point A to point B more irritating than its worth. I don't think the shooting mechanics are very good at all for a shooter and would actually put them on par with many action games. I see people complain about Naughty Dog's shooting mechanics a lot and it isn't even a shooter and somehow I find them better than the mechanics in this shooter. (At the very least on par) Currently I have a save where I am within an hour of beating the game on hard and I can't be bothered to put it in and do it.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
This could easily be any JRPG I played growing up that wasn't a Pokemon title. Most notable would be Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I have always found grinding to be one of the worst mechanics in all gaming and as a kid I would play through these massive RPGs with as minimal amount of grinding as possible. However, this would almost always lead to me getting stuck at a certain point because I was always severely underleveled. Sometimes this would happen early in the game like in Skies of Arcadia Legends, Sword of Mana or Golden Sun: The Lost Age but sometimes I was able to make it to the end boss but then get completely annihilated everytime I faced them (the original Golden Sun and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (not an RPG but still had a levling system that required grinding to a certain degree) being two examples of that). This would usually end in my getting frustrated or losing interest in the game despite loving the game up to that point.

Other honorable mentions would include Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and Maximo: Army of Zin (LOVE these games but they are really damn hard), Outland , Guacamelee, Ni No Kuni , The Witcher II and most recently Bayonetta II (more out of boredom than anything else...I can recognize how well designed the game is but spectacle fighters just really aren't my thing anymore, I suppose).

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Xenoblade- Game so awesome it basically justified having a Wii, but one of the endgame bosses is such a colection of frustrating "screw yous" to the player that I just gave up

Final Fantasy IX- Get to final disk-> get distracted by life/other games for several months-> go back to FF IX, feel like the long stop killed the pace and decide to start over-> repeat forever.

Farcry 3- just... stopped caring. with
Vaas dead
the plot became vestigial, and by that point clearing outposts was getting old and I had just about finished the hunting based upgrades. That said I still totally loved the game.

Grim Dawn- Great mechanics, but the lack of variety is oppressive and skillsets are far to limited even with the ability to mix classes.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I just remembered another amazing game I didn't finish, and considering how it's aged and the (im)probability of getting it to work on today's OS ...well.. I more than likely wont ever either.

I'm talking about Outcast.

Quite the game given that it was both behind and ahead of the times oddly enough.