"Amazing" Should be Banished From the English Language

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
I can vividly imagine the exact sort of people these are, and I doubt I'm too far off.

Nobody likes those people.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
So, "amazing" is the 99%? occupy the OED!

Also, the word "The" was used 28 times in that article assuming my rushed count is accurate. Ban "the"!

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
I don't think that "amazing" gets that badly overused.

Epic on the other hand. Or anyone who sings the word "Friday" within earshot of me.

Fuck those people.

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
I'll be honest I'm just impressed that no-one's made a 'knee arrow in the' joke in response to Grey's opinion (Possibly along the lines of 'I used to think like that...') yet.

Good job escapist. You have once again proved yourselves to be a cut or two above the average.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
No ban for "ironic?" i mean, half the internet seems to have forgotten how to use the word correctly so i thought these guys would be all over it.

Man that's Ironic

As for *Announcer voice* AAAAMMMAZING! Meh at least "legendary" has stopped, remember when everything was "legendary?" Good times

Rainbowloid

Jan 12, 2010
So when are "gimmick" and "pretentious" going to show up? 'Cuz those seem to be the new default words used to describe something you don't like.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd replace "amazing" with "awesome" personally.

Awesome has been so overused by the internet it's lost all punch.

Also troll and "haters gonna hate". "Troll/Trolling" has evolved into "someone who's opinion differs from mine" and "haters gonna hate" is now just "valid criticism gonna get a passive-aggressive response".

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Well. Stephen Fry basically summed that up for me.

Why the hell can't shoes or hair be amazing?
They can lecture me on English when they can spell colour correctly.

Feb 13, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
(Non-UK people: The Only Way Is Essex makes Jersey Shore look like Frasier)
I say the same thing about "The Office"

(UK People: The one with Steve Carell, that for some reason gets nominated for "Best Comedy" at the Emmys every fucking year.)
Yeah, but if I was gonna start naming bad UK sitcoms, I'd be here all year.

At least The Office has actors in it though.

Niksilp

Mar 19, 2009
I used to think certain words should be banned...then I took a pointed weapon to the patella.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I remember Louis CK in a Stand-up talking about just this.

The whole thing is great but the mis-use of 'amazing' starts about 1.40 in.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I'm guilty of spamming superlatives! Incredible: Amazing: Awesome: The Best: Epic: Super: Fabulous (without sounding camp as well) and many more defending on what the situation calls for!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I hate prescriptivist people. No one cares what you think, you're not going to change anything. Language changes, deal with it.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
I'll know I've hit rock bottom if I've got nothing better to do than publish a list of words that should be banned. It's probably a bit of fun seeing as it could never be enforced, just it's fun for what sound like slightly insufferable people.
This is the best post in the thread thus far (prior to my own, of course). It's flippant, light-hearted humour for smug oafs.

'Occupy'? That has a prettygood reason to not be used. It's not like 'amazing', which (apparenntly) plagues the English-speaking world as the go-to superlative (but as people have mentioned, it's better than 'epic'); you've been hearing it a lot because it's a thing which has been in the news. Did they list 'War in Iraq' as well?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
DeanoTheGod said:
I'm guilty of spamming superlatives! Incredible: Amazing: Awesome: The Best: Epic: Super: Fabulous (without sounding camp as well) and many more defending on what the situation calls for!
Now how the hell can you say fabulous without sounding camp?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
cloud, magical, revolutionary, social

As in Product A is a revolutionary way to do activity B with your social circle with the power of cloud computing.