Amazon and Steam Dismember Dead Space Prices

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Amazon and Steam Dismember Dead Space Prices

Travel the cosmos, meet terrifying aliens, and kill them. All for the low, low price of $5.

If you're a horror fan who hasn't gotten around to picking up Dead Space and/or Dead Space 2, then you may want to think about doing some digital shopping today. Both Amazon and Steam have some pretty major deals going on both games today.

The games are going for $5 a piece, 75% off their normal price tag. Over at Amazon, you have to buy both games separately, while Steam has a duo bundle that is contains both games and is going for $10.

Both of those games are great investments, but this sale is a no-brainer if you've been meaning to play them on your PC. Sadly, Amazon's Dead Space sale doesn't seem to have extended to the excellent <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Antony-Johnston/dp/1607060337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326498920&sr=8-1>Dead Space comic by Anthony Johnson and Ben Templesmith, which seems to have been priced just above "highway robbery."

Source: <a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047O2L70/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bkgas-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0047O2L70>Amazon, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JHYZKQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bkgas-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004JHYZKQ>Amazon, <a href=http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=dead+space>Steam

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Man, gonna have to miss this deal. Been meaning to get this game, but I just asked my mom for some games and I don't want to seem ungrateful.

they always redo sales like this anyway.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I wouldn't call Dead Space 1 and 2 horror games even though they do go for the jump scares and disgusted scare with body parts and monsters in your face, but I still think they are good games, just not horror. ;)

So, if you got the money too spare and are interested in those games, I'd say go for it. :p

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
therandombear said:
I wouldn't call Dead Space 1 and 2 horror games even though they do go for the jump scares and disgusted scare with body parts and monsters in your face, but I still think they are good games, just not horror. ;)

So, if you got the money too spare and are interested in those games, I'd say go for it. :p
So what would you call the games then? I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Perfect timing with this thread. I bought Dead Space on another Steam sale for $10. I have played a little bit of it, but have been busy, so I don't have a solid opinion on it yet. So, is Dead Space 2 any good? If so I'll pick it up this weekend. While $5 is a little trivial, I don't want to spend even that as well as take up disk space for a lousy game.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
vansau said:
therandombear said:
So what would you call the games then? I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.
GreatTeacherCAW said:
vansau said:
therandombear said:

Action sci-fi.

Shame the deal isn't for the consoles. I only use my computer for work, so I don't really play games on it. Plus, it is a Mac... so, there is that.
Pretty much this, sci-fi action, not a horror game, not really scary, especially not after the 10th corpse you find in a hallway is another one who is faking death. ;)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Unless you plan to play Dead Space with a controller, its pretty awful on the PC. The devs thought it was an absolutely wonderful idea to treat the mouse like a joystick so instead of your aim doin what its supposed to do when you say move it to the right, it treats that as if you held the stick to the right and stops the moment you let go.

In order to get the damn thing to even respond you have to turn mouse sensitivity way the hell up. To get it to respond how it should respond you have to turn the mouse sensitivity up in game and then go and turn the dpi of your mouse up higher as well. The best part about that? Go into a menu after you do that stuff and your camera jerks like you just sneezed.

Basically its a really really shitty port and you shouldn't waste your five bucks.

Note...I have no idea if this is also an issue with Dead Space 2.

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Unless you plan to play Dead Space with a controller, its pretty awful on the PC. The devs thought it was an absolutely wonderful idea to treat the mouse like a joystick so instead of your aim doin what its supposed to do when you say move it to the right, it treats that as if you held the stick to the right and stops the moment you let go.

In order to get the damn thing to even respond you have to turn mouse sensitivity way the hell up. To get it to respond how it should respond you have to turn the mouse sensitivity up in game and then go and turn the dpi of your mouse up higher as well. The best part about that? Go into a menu after you do that stuff and your camera jerks like you just sneezed.

Basically its a really really shitty port and you shouldn't waste your five bucks.

awww man! I am only interested in the first one and your comment disheartened me from buying it...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I know every corner of Dead Space 2....but how come I feel like I should buy it anyway? Its 5 dollars for it....

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
therandombear said:
vansau said:
therandombear said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
vansau said:
therandombear said:

Action sci-fi.

Shame the deal isn't for the consoles. I only use my computer for work, so I don't really play games on it. Plus, it is a Mac... so, there is that.
Pretty much this, sci-fi action, not a horror game, not really scary, especially not after the 10th corpse you find in a hallway is another one who is faking death. ;)
Actually just compare it to Aliens.

Action Sci-fi with a sprinkling of Horror here and there. Either way, the game is fucking badass.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Smiles said:
shintakie10 said:

awww man! I am only interested in the first one and your comment disheartened me from buying it...
EA actively makes their PC ports utter garbage to discourage piracy.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
shintakie10 said:

I'm curious if you played it pre patch or have this impression from post patch.
They patched the controls which imo, fixed a lot of the early problems with the controls and it is quite playable last I checked.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
therandombear said:

Horror doesn't necessarily mean scary. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and Stoker's Dracula aren't scary in the least, but are considered classic examples of horror. Horror is more in the atmosphere and story elements than in the scare factor.

OT: Damn, and I just spent all my money too. Have been meaning to pick them up, but other games that I want more keep popping up.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
If these games are horror games, then the 1 minute of romance between Woody and Bo Peep in Toy Story qualifies it as a romantic comedy, don't get me wrong, I like the Dead Space series, and recommend it if you want some dismemberment shooter fun, but just having disfigured monsters does not make it a horror game

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'll get the first one (avoiding the second due to tacked-on multiplayer.) If nothing else, it's a decent study into how to make a third-person action game work without a dedicated HUD: Isaac's suit lights change colour when he's hurt, remaining ammo is a little screen on the side of the gun (presumably so Isaac can see as well)...

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
wintercoat said:
Horror doesn't necessarily mean scary. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and Stoker's Dracula aren't scary in the least, but are considered classic examples of horror. Horror is more in the atmosphere and story elements than in the scare factor.

OT: Damn, and I just spent all my money too. Have been meaning to pick them up, but other games that I want more keep popping up.
You nailed it, horror isn't about the monsters at all it's about the potential threat of monsters looming in the dark.
It's like the first Paranormal activity film in where
nothing really happens until the last few nights, however there was always a promise of something sinister in the atmosphere.
For that reason DS is definitely leaning more towards a horror game than an action sci-fi,it's the distinct difference between this franchise and say the DMC franchise which is action adventure killing "scary monsters" whilst not being horror.

Edit: Is it just me or is the text beneath the spoiler a different font? 0_o

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Thank Talos I got that comic when it was still relatively new. I'd hate to have to pay those prices.

And I would do this, but I already own Dead Space, have played Dead Space 2, and am having all my free time eaten by Skyrim anyway.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
wintercoat said:
therandombear said:

True. I'll agree with Terminate241, it's sci-fi action, with horror moments sprinkled here and there.
Terminate421 said:
Actually just compare it to Aliens.

Action Sci-fi with a sprinkling of Horror here and there. Either way, the game is fucking badass.

Skotavus

May 23, 2010
In the Australian store, Dead Space is $3.75, Dead Space 2 is $17.50 and the two-pack is $21.24 (all $USD)...