Amazon versus Gamestop: Which to use?

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Living in the UK, I don't have access to Gamestop but I suppose a close equivalent would be Game or something, and I prefer to go into a store and get the game. I like having a physical copy with a receipt, that way, if something is wrong, I can go back the same day and take it back or exchange it, I don't particularly like faffing about online. The only time I buy on Amazon is if it is a very old game that I cannot find at a second hand gaming store.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm split. I use gamestop for newer games and console games. And I use Amazon for PC games because they have a little tiny rack for all of their PC games.

Apr 24, 2008
Amazon is typically(almost always)cheaper than brick-and-mortar retailers...

If that wasn't incentive enough, I also get to save time/bus fair/energy by ordering online and then going about my day as I please. I only go to a shop if I have a stack of games I feel need trading in, that's the only time it's cost-effective in my view.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Gamestop, don't buy things online and, despite the claims of many, they are friendly and helpful and have many of the games that I need.

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
Thank you everyone for all the insightful information. but a few points i think should be touched on,
one, i am getting it for XBOX. if i had a computer that could run anything more sophisticated than the original LOZ, and not turn into a blubbering mess, as it does with minecraft, WOW, and any other game you can name, i would download every game i can with steam.
two, my other problem, im not talking about which service is better in general. im talking about first day game release for Skyrim, and which you think is a better idea to use.
Amazon seems like the most popular choice. and to be honest, i was leaning towards it anyways, because ive had problems with GS before, such as not having the disc in the box (*nods at thepurplestuff* like what happened when i first picked up my copy of COD: black ops. But i thank you for all of your opinions and posts, this is my first real thread i think.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I hate amazon's game download service, and I have never tried gamestop...

Steam for PC
Gamestop for console

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
amazon. I haven't spent money at a gamestop in 3 years. I usually go to a local used game retailer. For example. I bought infamous 2 used for $35 at this store. At game stop it's still $55 used. Amazon i'ts around $45. (at least on that day)

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Don't just pick one site. Be a smart shopper. Compare prices on everything. Look at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy. How low can you go? I'm sure all the sites have some sort of pre-order system.

ChromaticWolfen said:
Gamestop, don't buy things online and, despite the claims of many, they are friendly and helpful and have many of the games that I need.
Indeed. I have never had a problem with Gamestop. You do sort of get ripped off with the trade in values, but the customer service is quite good. At least, the stores I went to.

TheRenaissanceMan

Invent Combustible Lemons
Jun 1, 2010
Personally I'm an Amazon guy for the following reasons
1) No lecture from the cashier to my mom/dad (I'm 16) about how they are an immoral parent who kicks puppies because they agree to buy me an M rated game.
2) Amazon's prices are better.
3) GameStop has screwed me over in the past concerning return policy/trade in policy, and I've never had any issues with amazon.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I've never seen a Gamestop over here but we have plenty of EB Gameses and seeing as their the same thing I'm sure this comparison is perfectly fine. Try and guess where I prefer to shop.

I hate my country so much. I swear, I'm moving to the US one day.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I tend to use Gamestop. That Power Up rewards thing is very nice. I can get some very good deals when I want to get a game there. Trade-in values aren't great, but eh, I can live with that. I don't trade in many games anyways

Of course, a lot of people believe that dealing with Gamestop is some sort of sin against gaming because they get a lot of money off of their used sales. FSD people, FSD.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I go to Gamestop for preorders. The guys that run the one here are fairly competent and the price is going to be the same anywhere on day one. For older games I like Amazon as they are quicker to lower their prices and I've yet to look for a game they don't have.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I always use Amazon, especially for my collector's editions, since I can't guarantee that I can make it to Game Stop before the "time limit" is up. (I don't drive and live in a rural area, so it's very possible to not a ride there within 3 days. don't judge me. lol)

Amazon will almost always guarantee a same-day delivery, so you SHOULD have it when the release comes. I have, in the past, not gotten my game in time (Cataclysm coming to mind), and Amazon gave me credit on my next purchase for the delivery delay, which is cool. :)

So, in my case, Amazon is more convenient and I don't have to deal with crowds!

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
ThePurpleStuff said:
If gamestop doesn't have the game I want I use amazon, I have never gotten a bad purchase from amazon but gamestop sometimes forgets to even put the disks in the box! I'm not joking, it's happened to me twice so we gotta drive back.
thats why you check before you leave the store, or you watch them.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
Matt Oliver said:
thats why you check before you leave the store, or you watch them.
You gotta learn the hard way but how could it be my fault that their employees are so dumb they forget to put the disk in the box? I shouldn't have to inspect it before I go, that's just idiotic.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I'm just gonna buy Skyrim off of Steam. Yay for the PC! /Not being elitist. Just remarking on how convenient it is now.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
wierdman51 said:
I have never used Amazon for anything, but i have heard great things about it. I like Gamestop, but I have no idea if I will be able to get TES: Skyrim when it comes out even if I preorder, due to the fact that I live in a heavily populated city, over 1 million people, and our GS often does not order enough copies for everyone cause they are all highly incompetent here in Florida.
So I was wondering whether you guys may think that i should use Amazon or GS to order Skyrim. tell me why everyone thinks Amazon is so much better than GS, or why GS is better than Amazon for getting games, and solely that purpose.

I think this is the right forum, I didnt know if I should use this, or "Gaming".
buy it at walmart, or target, or Kmart if you have one of those. if my gamestop is sold out of something I go to walmart and they always have it.