AMC's The Walking Dead Is a Massive Zombie Hit

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
The first epi was fucking sick. Kudos to Frank Darabont, amazing show. I accidentally discovered it channel surfing just like I did Lost six years ago. Cant wait to see more

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Someone please tell me where I can find this TV show online, it's the only way i can watch it and I don't wanna miss an episode!
You can watch the premier here.

http://thatsovietguy.com/walking-dead-pilot-review-and-impressions

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
I have high hopes. It caught the attention and was a big buzz generator for the soap opera watching people in my wife's office; they caught it pretty much thanks to ads on Mad Men. I figure if it can catch the imagination of Joe Regular as well as those of us who like the horror/zombie/sci-fi stories, then it has a good shot at sticking around.

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
Since the invention of Youtube, Hulu, sites like this, and video cards that can connect to a tv, I haven't actually watched a television show in years. This show was so good that it has dragged me kicking and screaming back to the frustrations of regular television. Every commercial break made me want to tear what's left of my hair out. Halfway through it stopped being entertainment and it became an obligation. I can't be anywhere on Sunday night now, or I have to set up my dvd recorder to tape it (lol it's not a tape anymore idiot). At least it's not on a channel that will push it back because that professional sporting event went into overtime, causing me to only -record- half of it. It was so good that I watched it twice, well the second time I listened while playing System Shock 2 on my computer. It's not Halloween unless it's System Shock 2.

(I'll never forget when the seed of hatred for regular television was first planted in my mind. It happened on New Year's Day when I was very young. The excitement of Christmas was over, but I was happily watching the movie Gremlins on tv. A gremlin had just gotten nuked in the microwave when suddenly I was watching old people dancing in weird costumes. Gremlins was preempted by the Philadelphia Mummer's Parade. On that day my hatred for regular television and happy old people was born. I've never had a chance to express these feelings until now, thank you Escapist.)

DoomGnomes

Feb 15, 2009
I feel I should point out that it's "The first major live-action television series" in the states as far as I know but in England we had Dead Set over two years ago. This isn't meant as a slam just check other places before making sweeping statements.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I watched the premiere and thought it was great! I love zombie movies, but one of the greatest benefits to having a series is it gives us a chance to get some really deep character development. For instance, one thing I've always wondered about given the occurrence of a zombie apocalypse is how I'd handle seeing loved ones "turn" into the undead and what the long-term effects of it would be on me. I feel like The Walking Dead is already exploring this with the (minor spoiler) two father and son characters who can't bring themselves to kill their wife/mother. Yeah you get to see this a bit in the movies but here we really have a chance to see how a zombie invasion would affect people on a personal level long-term, and that to me is the most interesting thing about the series.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
RatRace123 said:
I saw it, it was awesome, I want more.
Could you PM me at the end of the season? Please? I want to know if it is worth the DVD set. I can't watch it due to the fact I'm so damn busy but if it turns out to be awesome enough, I'll buy the set.

Also this is a clear indicator that zombies are still mainstream. I wonder what the next mainstream monster type will be? I'm hoping for Werewolves personally.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
I actually missed the first episode. Now I gotta wait until they re-air it again. I hope I enjoy it as much as some of my friends do.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
ProtoChimp said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Hmmm... It's on FX over here... I'll see if I can catch it sometime.
What date, have I missed it?
I have no idea. I just saw some ads when I was watching American Dad.
Friday, 5th of November It premieres in England and I honestly cant wait. Sounds like it could be a brilliant series and if its just as good as Dead Set I should be happy for the next 6 weeks.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Thank God Fox doesn't own the rights to this or they'd see how successful it was then cancel it after airing the episodes out of order. (Fuck you Fox you know what I'm REALLY talking about!)

OT: The first episode was amazing, I hope to see many more.
I know what you're talking about ;_;

OT: This has tickled my interested bone, might have to check it out.

BrashHulk

Nov 4, 2010
What a gut-wrenching scene when Morgan (Lennie James) realizes that he still can't kill his wife, no matter what she's become. And I'm not a big fan at all of child actors, especially in dramatic roles, but Adrian Turner, who played his son Duane, was very good in his role. I love the way this series is starting, and hope for many more episodes/seasons.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
LMAO.... it's EGG from 'This Life'. Lololol. No way did I see this coming.

The same show that gave us Jack Davenport. :/

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I think part of what makes the suspense so great is you're not entirely sure how smart these zombies are. That scene with the doorknob...Jesus.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Freaking amazing show.

Sundays at the moment are out of this world(although I don't watch any of it until Monday my time).

Dexter, Boardwalk Empire and now The Walking Dead.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
If i can't find the show when it's on i'll have to buy the DVD when it comes out, i actually wasn't that interested 'til i saw that it was made by the maker of The Green Mile.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Torque669 said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
ProtoChimp said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Hmmm... It's on FX over here... I'll see if I can catch it sometime.
What date, have I missed it?
I have no idea. I just saw some ads when I was watching American Dad.
Friday, 5th of November It premieres in England and I honestly cant wait. Sounds like it could be a brilliant series and if its just as good as Dead Set I should be happy for the next 6 weeks.
Oh excellent! So long as it's not on at the same time as QI, everything should be dandy! Even then, there's iPlayer.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
This was an excellent program. Even my WIFE liked it, and she HATES zombies. Not in the "i want to stab Zombies in the face" kind of hate, but the "you are so stupid for playing zombie games you dork" kind of way.

In a zombie movie, you have 2 hours, or less, to show the story. Most of that time is generally filled with gratuitous zombie killing or zombie attacks. The walking dead can totally spread that pace out, without nearly the amount of gratuitous blood and gore.

Its wonderful.