American Enterprise Institute Fellow Blames Cosplay For Poor Economy

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
as seeing as how cosplay can be very expensive you would think that many of them had some form of currency acquisition in maybe the form of a job. Now the increase in cosplay could be a sign of people that had jobs and costumes losing their job so having free time to cosplay i can give him that but cosplay in itself is no more than an indicator not a cause as such title misleading please change.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Nice click bait title, make it sound like cosplayers are getting the blame so people get outraged and click the link. Try some subtlety in your click bait titles next time rather than an outright lie.

I don't see a connection between Cosplay becoming popular because the economy stinks. Cosplay used to be on the fringe and anyone that did it was considered weird and that stereotype is becoming lost to the past. The more mainstream cosplay becomes the more popular it will become.

Then how can anyone unemployed afford to cosplay and especially do conventions? conventions can get expensive if you get more than a single days pass, plus hotel, transportation, and food. I don't see how it is a majority unemployed doing it except during Halloween.

I think the writer of the article makes the assumption that the 2 are related when it is most likely a coincidence.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
Am I the only one who finds the idea of some Ivory Tower jagoff wringing his hands over how "the youth" are not being "productive members of the economy" offensive? Treating these people like cogs destined for their machine is part of the reason why they aren't all that eager to participate, if you ask me.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
People. Ruin. Everything....

As I don't want to get in trouble, this guy can go shove it...