American Humour is Terrible

lionday

Jun 21, 2011
Community
Now thats good stuff.
Personally i like British humor but its not the be all to end all either.
I think seinfeld was funny so where other shows.
But it HATE HATE HHHAAATTTEEE family guy and many other of those shows. I laugh but as soon as the joke is over i ask my self what did i just laugh at? So i don't watch the show.

GeneralDefiance

Feb 10, 2010
When people say british humour do they just think of monty python mostly? would anyone outside a small minority of people understand Still Game was british humour if they saw it? and whats more would they find it funny? i do hope so, someone look it up and tell me if they would have bracketed it in with there idea of british humour..

UmJammerSully

May 29, 2011
Arrgghh, it was painful for me to read that first post because I knew the exact reaction (justified reaction, mind you) that would come from it.

First of all, this is just another thread that helps solidify us Brits as snooty, cocky and elitist bumholes. This is obviously not the case and would be a great generalization of British people, just like how the OP is completely generalizing American Comedy due to a few crappy shows.

Secondly, have you ever actually turned on your TV, Dr Red? We have PLENTY of terrible "unintelligent" sitcoms. My Family, 2 Pints of Lager, Vicar of Dibley... All very popular and I personally can't stand any of 'em. The fact is, there is both comedy gold and crap on both sides of the ocean. All of you Americans trying to prove that America has infinitely funnier shows instead of just proving the OP wrong are just as bad as him too.

Feb 9, 2011
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
This ^

Now stop making vast, blanketing statements based solely on your own opinion. It's a stupid thing to do.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
That's your opinion, I disagree. I like The Big Bang Theory and Saturday Night Live, you don't. Doesn't mean it's a great show, or a terrible one, it all boils down to opinion. If you dislike the show, simply don't watch it, it doesn't really warrent making a topic over. This strikes me as being a troll topic.

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Dr Red said:
My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch.
You want to know something else that's terrible?
Pretentious and casual racism and no I'm not from the US.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Winterfel said:
Dr Red said:
My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch.
You want to know something else that's terrible?
Pretentious and casual racism and no I'm not from the US.
America is not a race, god dammit!

It's also called opinions, ever heard of them?

YouEatLard

Jun 20, 2010
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.

Sorry man. South Park is American. It was created, developed by, and voiced by, and owned by Americans. This is the Escapist man. Never post without expecting us to check the facts.

Second, American TV is a shotgun at the American public and the world. It's aimed at a broad spectrum. To be honest, I RARELY (like once per 6 months or so) actually laugh at what is on TV. This is partially because I don't actively watch TV, but also because many of us don't find 90% of it funny either. This isn't to say that all feel the way you or I do, but that's kinda how opinion works.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
South Park isn't Canadian. Trey Parker is from Colorado and Matt Stone is from Texas. They've produced every single episode inside the United States. The only connection they have to Canada is that they're constantly ripping on it. I'm not sure what made you say it was Canadian, but I'm guessing it's probably related to the fact that you are a mythical creature who lives under a bridge. A relatively successful one so far, so congrats on that.

But I'll feed you for a moment, I guess.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Archer
Louie
Arrested Development
Community
30 Rock
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Daily Show with John Stewart

I guess I could keep going, but it's kind of pointless. You could do a search for just these shows, and the number of widely accepted funny moments you would turn up would be more numerous than every single funny moment of British television anyone has ever put on the internet. You know why that is? Because no one gives a shit about British television or British comedy, and no one is going to bother taking the time to put it on the internet. There hasn't been a single genuinely consistently funny British television show for at least forty years.

kzgonuts63

Mar 4, 2011
Humor is a matter of opinion, this is a moot topic. Also since when is South Park Canadian? The creators grew up in Colorado and is made in California. Don't take credit for this Canada, we Coloradans will hunt you down.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
South Park is American. Also, I'll go ahead and assume everyone in Britain only loves Skins because it's the only British show I've seen. That's accurate isn't it? You all are just interested in watching what look like underage kids have sex and do drugs, right?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Humor doesn't need to be intullijint. It can be, and in fact I DO appreciate the British sense of humor.

and you're basing that off family guy and South Park, both of which are shows which AMERICANS will tell you are no longer funny.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Monty Python is absolutely hilarious and is stupid as hell. Well it's more just silly than stupid but I've loved it since I was just a wee boy

crepesack

May 20, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bcIWvE-3g&feature=related

Stay classy britain, stay classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOS1XeOD3AQ&feature=related

nope not there yet.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
not all American humour is bad. i just find that Stupid Laugh Track to be quite annoying and frustrating.

Scrubs is awesome thou