American Humour is Terrible

weker

May 27, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Dr Red said:
The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA
Yes, let's take out all the comic timing and see what happens! Ugh.
Yes so it shows that many people just laugh at these sorts of shows because they have a laughing track.
A laughing track is fine but american sitcoms beat the program to death with an audience affected by laughing gas.

weker

May 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
Dr Red said:
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.
Peep Show isn't widely viewed. At least, it wasn't for a very long time - not sure about now. And South Park's an American show.
it has what now? six series? It must be viewed a fair bit to get that many series.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I'm a big fan of British tv. I love watching Luther, Skins, Shameless, Hotel Babylon, Misfits, Dr. Who, Torchwood, The Shadow Line, and Spooks, but I can't watch shows like The IT Club, The Inbetweeners, Ideal, Monty Python and other comedies I'm forgetting. I wanted to like them, but British humor just isn't funny to me.

I guess Shameless is the exception, that show can be funny, because that family is so dysfunctional.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
weker said:
Woodsey said:
Dr Red said:
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.
Peep Show isn't widely viewed. At least, it wasn't for a very long time - not sure about now. And South Park's an American show.
it has what now? six series? It must be viewed a fair bit to get that many series.
Nope, they've always been low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_Show_(TV_series)#Ratings

Mostly been kept going because DVD sales were decent and because it remained high quality.

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
Polaris19 said:
I also find it hilarious that you like South Park when that 'witty commentary' often devolves into poop and fart jokes. THAT is funny...
Yeah true sometimes, like the last episode of that new season (season 15 I think?), which was when stan got infected with "pessimism" and sees everything as a load of shit (literally).
But many episodes are just plain funny, like "Medicinal fried chicken" and "Make love, not warcraft." As to whether they are clever or not, I haven't thought about it.
Futurama is pretty good though.
Though there is that stereotype that Americans have a crap sense of humour, as they don't know how to "take the mick" so well. Idk.

weker

May 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
weker said:
Nope, they've always been low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_Show_(TV_series)#Ratings

Mostly been kept going because DVD sales were decent and because it remained high quality.
It's still watch loads just on DVD XD

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I would like to point out that the Big Bang Theory started out with more intelligent humour but due to most of America being absolute dumb arses they had to dumb the show down. I watch the Big Bang Theory as well as a few other shows. But mostly tend to stick to British humour. But then I am a more odd American anyways and tend to have a lot of views that differ from the rest of the population.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I now present to you exhibit A:
Your argument is invalid.

(hey, the OP never specified if the humor in question was recent)

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
What are you talking about? American humor is hilarious! Chickens crossing roads, doesn't get any better than that.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
South Park is not Canadian and you can't brand all of American comedy under one label
I'm British and I love our old shows like Blackadder, Porridge, Open All Hours etc but The Big Bang Theory is my favourite sitcom ever. I also adore Scrubs, Frasier and How I Met Your Mother. Also South Park is, in my opinion, the best and most intelligent comedy show of all time. American Dad is also fantastic

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Way to generalize American humor based off of two shows. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go watch Seinfeld and King of the Hill and laugh the morning away.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
If it makes you laugh it's good humor. If you think it's unintelligent that's your opinion but that doesn't mean it isn't a good joke. I don't think you would know humor if it bit you on your ass let alone your bum.

*ba dum tish

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
I think it's more in the presentation. America has just as many funny and unfunny people/shows. American humor can be a bit loud and over the top, so if you don't like it it'll probably irritate you more than humor from other countries.

Edit: makes me think of french movies. When they're trying to be funny, they're not. When they make violent action movies it's hilarious (Dobermann, Taxi)

weker

May 27, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
But they haven't just removed the laughter track, they've removed what happens during the laughter track. As in, removed all comic timing.
I don't fully follow.
Normally
Guys says joke pauses for laughter
Video
Guys says joke pauses but no laughter

That is my Understanding of how point of the video, and in both situations the jokes occurs before the laughter, so nothing is effecting the actual joke or the timing.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...a compromise?

US humour is inherently bad, but modern UK humour is indistinguisable, as a rule.

"Humour" seems to equate to "that stuff from the British Isles, from before I was born".

[small]Yes, I know the UK isn't the same as the British Isles[/small]

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Dr Red said:
I'm not arguing which is subjectively better.
That's exactly what you did in the title though.

'Terrible' is a completely subjective word relating to how good something is.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
b3nn3tt said:
There is plenty of unintelligent American comedy, but there is also a lot of unintelligent British comedy. There are also good examples of intelligent comedy on either end. I reckon that overall, the two are probably about even in terms of how intelligent the average is.

At the end of the day, no-one's forcing anyone to watch anything. You don't like a particular brand of comedy, don't watch it. Some people do like, and enjoy watching it. Leave them to it. One person's opinion on a TV show is equal to another's.
Sing in, brutha.

OT: I like American humor... when it's not potty humor at least.
You should watch How I Met Your Mother. One of the only shows to make me consistently laugh.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
You know what's worse? Generalizations based on two widely hated shows (of the same shitty genre). Try harder.

In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.
Yeah, pretty much. Different people find different things funny. Guess what? It's fine. Other people like different shows than you. It's astonishing how that works, huh? I for one find a vast majority of British humor to be boring and dry. And I find a lot of American humor to be stupid. But I don't mind, because there's plenty of funny things from all over the place that ARE funny, and ARE enjoyable. And I deal with it. Welcome to the Internet, where people have opinions.