American McGee Blasts EA Marketing

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Eternal_Lament said:
If that game lost any sales, it was probably because it was a fairly mediocre game. Interesting concept, but substandard gameplay and constantly loading screens do not make for an enjoyable experience. This just sounds like McGee trying to save face just in time for Akinaro, so that if anyone asks about the lack of success with his previous outing then he can put to someone else as the problem.
I never felt that were that many loading screens. It happens mostly between chapters of each level. On the gameplay aspect, I enjoyed it, though I can understand why some people find it unstimulating. I think the industry has a trend of trying to cram as many different types of gameplay as possible into one game. Some developers pull it off, many don't, but it has made gamers expect this plethora of activities. I've seen people complain that there was too much jumping......in a platform game??? Anyway.

On another point, I don't get why people thought this game would be a horror game. The first one wasn't and all the gameplay and previews never pointed to horror ala Silent Hill or Amnesia being important. It always was about finding a way through the twisted images Alice has created in her head and rescueing some sliver of sanity. Literally battling her inner demons.

RWillers

Mar 17, 2010
I liked the game, I really did. In my opinion, the levels were beautiful, the story was nice and engaging, and the "creepy" factor was there, specially for the Dollhouse level. But the game wasn't great. The platforms and combat system were fun the first few times, but after that it was just frustrating. And never mind the fact that the levels went on and on and on and on (Hatter's Domain, anyone?).

I remember reading a couple of reviews saying that the levels were fun at first and then they became a drag. And it was true! I think that's what was wrong with the game. Again, the levels were beautiful, but that wasn't enough to impress the reviewers or those players who like to recommend games to their friends.

As for the trailers, they weren't great but they weren't bad either. I think it'd have been better if they showed more gameplay instead of those CGI trailers, like the launch trailer.

In the end, I think American McGee is just trying to make people like him by jumping in the "Electronic Arts is the devil!" bandwagon. Maybe the game just wasn't as good as he thought.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
shiajun said:
Eternal_Lament said:
If that game lost any sales, it was probably because it was a fairly mediocre game. Interesting concept, but substandard gameplay and constantly loading screens do not make for an enjoyable experience. This just sounds like McGee trying to save face just in time for Akinaro, so that if anyone asks about the lack of success with his previous outing then he can put to someone else as the problem.
I never felt that were that many loading screens. It happens mostly between chapters of each level. On the gameplay aspect, I enjoyed it, though I can understand why some people find it unstimulating. I think the industry has a trend of trying to cram as many different types of gameplay as possible into one game. Some developers pull it off, many don't, but it has made gamers expect this plethora of activities. I've seen people complain that there was too much jumping......in a platform game??? Anyway.

On another point, I don't get why people thought this game would be a horror game. The first one wasn't and all the gameplay and previews never pointed to horror ala Silent Hill or Amnesia being important. It always was about finding a way through the twisted images Alice has created in her head and rescueing some sliver of sanity. Literally battling her inner demons.
Maybe it was because I had it on the PS3, or because it was used, but I found that there were a lot of long loading screens, whether it be from reloading a checkpoint or transitioning to a new area, not just a new chapter. Gameplay wise though I actually didn't like when they tried to add some new or random gameplay elements, such as the submarine section or 2D area, as they sort of felt tacked on. My issue with the gameplay was that things felt a little bit too floaty, and I don't mean Alice's ability to glide, I mean that things sort of just felt loose. The controls, the placement of platforms, the reaction to jump inputs, it all felt a little bit too free and loose in my opinion. That and the combat never really felt fulfilling enough to enjoy

As for the horror element, all I said was that the game seemed like it was trying to emulate one, not necessarily be one. What I mean is that the aesthetic certainly seemed to lean in that direction. Consider this: the original Alice was more of a dark fantasy setting a la Dark Crystal, where there were definitely portions that looked serene but there was definitely a certain maliciousness to it, the only exception being the final boss that takes place in some abyss. By contrast, Madness Returns seemed to veer more towards the horror angle, what with the black sludge, evil eyes, and doll parts everywhere. In fact, the last level (not the train, but the whole doll-house world...god that thing was bland) seemed to be more like the set of Saw more than anything else. So while the game's overall theme is more suited for lunacy as you say, there were definitely designs there that were trying to ape or at least capture parts of horror.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Tom Artingstall said:
"[These trailers drove] away more casual customers, like female gamers, who might be turned off by really dark trailers," he says. The game was not exactly directed towards a casual audience, but the developer argues that presenting a strong female lead coupled with a lighter tone would have made the game a bigger success.
I'm not the only one slightly PO'd at that bit am I? "Oh no! We might upset the females if we're too violent!" The implication that female gamers are by default the casuals and that they're only interested in light-hearted games or games with female protagonists.... Urgh. This is why we can't have nice things.
I have to admit, I agree with American and I love Alice, but this comment he made brought out a little bit of anger. I love Alice because it's so dark, and I'm certainly no casual. You almost had my full support, American.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
"[These trailers drove] away more casual customers, like female gamers, who might be turned off by really dark trailers,"

Oh please, EA was showing us what a sequel to the first Alice game should look like.
Madness Returns failed to capture the feel of the first game.

Besides, CGI trailers often show things which aren't in the game.
You blame EA for that.

PS. I find it fishy that MeGee is bringing this up NOW as he is looking for money for his already finished game.
He had plenty of time to bring this up in the past, but he choose now to do it.

Sorry but I can't EA for Spicy Horses failure game.

Sgt. Sykes said:
I for one didn't buy AMA because it requires origin. Even though I loved the first Alice.
No it didn't :p

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I definitely agree with his last point, the entire Industry is due for a massive crash.
It'll be all the big names, all of the old Gods of the industry, EA, Activision, Konami, Capcom, we're already seeing it with THQ, a time of reckoning is truly coming, and these companies will be ill equipped to survive it.
In the end though, it'll be a good thing. The companies will fall apart, their dessicated corpses will be picked over for IP by lots of springy younger businesses, and we'll get a new generation of old titles made by people with actual energy and love for the properties.

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
i can vouch for the fact that EA did something wrong with the trailers, i never heard of American McGee Alice Games and reading about how it was like Alice in Wonderland but a lot darker got me interested, then i saw the trailer for Madness Return's, turned me right off cause i wanted to see dark, not horror (i couldn't sleep well that night and i even think bloody Alice knew what i saw and reincarnated it when i dove into the Madness Factor to try and limit the Black Taint that was being produced)

when i saw the review on Good Game about Madness Returns i got confused on what kind of game it is, i've been looking for a good Let Play Video of it to finally tell me if it's just a dark game or a horror game