American McGee Predicts Real-World Retailers' Demise

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Jaythulhu said:
bahumat42 said:
(and to everyone decrying downloads yes boo hoo you don't have a good internet connection, news flash most other people do)
Dude, there's absolutely no reason to be such a douchebag. You have a good internet connection, good for you. That doesn't make the gripes of those who don't live in an area where such connections are rare wrong, or bad, or anything else. In fact, you bragging about yours makes you an arsehole. News flash, you're not special because there's better internet connections available in your area. Wish my parents still paid for my 'net like yours do.
My connections not even anything special i never claimed that it was, and i pay for it out of my own pocket so kudos on the assumption their pal.

Im fed of people kicking and screaming into the digital age because they don't wanna. Its progress pure and simple and people hold it up for silly reasons.

Getting a decent internet provider for an affordable cost just requires a little leg work, and not signing up for the first offer that seems enticing.

And whilst people in 2nd/3rd world countries do have reasons to moan none of them are on these forums to make such complaints, its people who are suprised when they get bad internet when they pay next to nothing for it.
I'm moaning about it! Cos I'd have it if I could afford it!

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
If I can, I will buy a physical copy of a game over digital one. If physical copies were to go away I would stop being a gamer. There is just a sense of ownership that is impossible to get from digital copy of a game. Plus how do I lend a game to a friend? When I was younger, borrowing games from a friend was part of what got me into some games.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Being a PC player I haven't purchased a game at a physical retailer in easily over 6 years. The fact that more and more stores are choosing to not shelve PC games I just stick to Steam and really I haven't had a problem with it. I think its a little to early to predict the end of retailers but its not impossible. I used to have serious issues with not being able to physically hold the game I buy, but with time it has become less of an problem. Who knows maybe in 10-20 years physical retailers of all kinds will slowly fade out and used stores become more dominate because the only place to buy things new is only online, crazier things have happened.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
So does this mean he's gonna restock the Alice Madness Returns online store with the Hysteria t-shirt? I had ordered it but then for no reason they canceled my order, said they flagged my card or something but my card was perfectly fine....fucking assholes

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
I will be one sad panda if i cant get a physical copy of the game. Its not for resale either i dont think ive ever resold one of my games, i just prefer a physical copy for being able to uninstall reinstall etc at will. Sorry buy downloading 4+gb everytime i want to install a game thats nuts, especially with talks of having to pay for bandwidth in this country i live in. Also i can dig out that old game and play it again, who knows if that server will still be up or company still around. Have i bought digital games, sure braid and if i wasnt as cash strapped id look at more of the smaller steam indie games but a AAA title I dread the possibility of it costing me 4$ to download each time in the future.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Call me old-fashioned if you will, but i like having a hard copy of my games.

I can see that PC gaming will vanish from retailers in the near future, but i really don't want to see Nintendo and Sony's titles vanishing from stores as well.

There's just something more satisfying to me about having a shelf/drawer full of video games than have a list of clickable game titles at the side of my screen.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont think is "just" digital distribution...but actual stores you can still get physical copies online

but yeah I dont like it, plus I loke games that are LONG and EPIC...you dont get that with angrey birds

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised, what with digital distribution, but it'll be a helluva long time before it happens.

Victoras1984

Nov 10, 2009
kurokenshi said:
TheKasp said:
kurokenshi said:
Gotta disagree with you Mr.McGee!

Digital distribution is not a viable option for me, it'd take a week for me to download a 5gb game and thats excluding the cost of bandwidth in my country. Also dislike not having a physical copy of something I purchased like someone else metioned earlier. The games I buy usually get delivered to me at work release day morning and I really have no problem with that.

Don't get me wrong I think Digital Distribution is great but it will never replace retail. Some of us just prefer physical copies.
Please try to understand what he says.

Physical stores will disappear and I couldn't agree more. Since I live in Germany where according to politicians I can't decide what games I can play I have to buy many of them online. And what do I buy online? A physical copy.
Please try to understand what I am saying.

In your case Digital is a better option because of your politicians.
But for me and others from my country(South Africa) internet costs are extremely high and you don't get much for what you pay for. I'll give you numbers please be advised I'm using my currency.

Fixed line what I have
Telephone line rental R180 a month
1mb ADSL line rental R280 a month no bandwidth included

ISP uncapped account R300 a month Shaped & Throttled bandwidth slow as hell took me an hour to download a 30mb patch

ISP capped 15gb unshaped & not throttled R300 switching to this end of the month

Wireless option
R1000 a month 15gb capped shaped bandwidth and ofcourse it's not zoned in my area.

See this is why Digital is not viable for me. I'm not saying Digital is bad I think it's great especially for Indie Devs and I would totally use it if I could afford it but thats just not going to happen with the state of Internet Services where I live.
He's saying you'll go to a site and order a physical copy of the game that will then be delivered to your home. You know, like Amazon did and does with books.

This should even bring prices down (centralized depots, less rent/personnel expenses, etc.).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Its been heading that way for years, so he isnt saying anything new or astounding. I personally dread the time when all games are digital release only, and more so for full price titles than cheaper xbox arcade games. They will market them cheaper to download, and then once download is the only option left then the price will rise back up to what they are now. Eventhough they no longer have to pay for distribution, packaging etc. The future will be a rip off.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ah McGee, I appreciate your whimsical interpretations of Huxley's Doors of Perception through the medium of Carrol's seminal work, and your selling prowess of your name alone is worthy of putting you up their with Meier.

But if he came around my area and started predicting the demise of bricks and mortar shops based on nothing more than a flimsy interpretation of resource wasting, I'd say
[HEADING=2]OI. MCGEE. NO![/HEADING]

I like your games but I don't like your reality. Go back to making software before I give you a SLAP.
Ah the Self Righteous brothers

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I think The Escapist missed a bit of news:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-13-online-sales-to-surpass-physical-sales-by-2013

Online Retail(Amazon.com/Gamestop.com/Walmart.com) have been outselling brick and mortar sales since 2008.

Anyone who thinks it can't happen or won't happen should ask Circuit City or Borders Books.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
In this same correspondence, shouldn't cubicles then become digital? When can i work from the beach? If i can't have an office affair, then there is no point in being there physcially let alone mentally. I am glad i am retiring before 30 with my 90% savings rate, and my investments in stocks, business, and real estate. Now i can live in a castle and get everthing delivered to me via online. If retails store are falling, better invest in digital retailers and shipping ;)

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I'm surprised anyone really debates this anymore. For video games, it IS coming and it IS inevitable.

>>>>Only being able to purchase games online will never work for multiple reasons and near the top is Gamestop just makes to much money to give up their brick and mortar stores.

Yeah! I was in Musicland the other day and....Oh wait, those all folded as did most other music stores. Or haven't you noticed that the only music stores left are the dwindling number of second-hand independent stores? Even retail chains like Best Buy are cutting back their music sections as online takes over in sales.

Well, at least, movie rental stores like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video will never go awa----Wait a minute.....

Believe me, the end of the road for Gamestop is coming.

>>>>First off, if retail chains like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target go under--or simply switch to online only--like he says, the U.S. jobs market is going to take a bullet to the head and probably never recover.

That's already happened several times. Not just in the aforementioned examples but in other more diversified chains such as Media Play and Circuit City. This has had a bad effect on the jobs market, not just in jobs lost but with the age group that this hits. A lot of the stores that close are where *adopts old man pose*, in my day, a lot of teens who didn't want to do food service got their jobs. Without the work experience of these jobs, this makes the kids less likely to get jobs out of colleges because they not only have nothing on their resume but they haven't learned the more subtle lessons that these first-time jobs brought (punctuality, dealing with the public, etc.)

>>>>I also love how developers all see a future where games are purely digital. Yeah, they sure don't want you buying used, so of course that's the future they envision. It's just adorable that they actually think it's going to happen.

Look at sites such as Penny Arcade that have been long advocating the demise of the physical as a good thing. Hell, just look at this site. There are so many escapists who have been suckered by the corporations into thinking that this would be a good thing that, even when a company like Quantic Dream make the ridiculous claim that used games cost them a million sales, they leap up to defend these claims. It will happen and a large portion of gamers will help it happen.

I mean, not to invoke Godwin's Law but, on this site, people are increasingly acting like buying used games is on par with running a concentration camp.

>>>>I wouldn't be surprised, what with digital distribution, but it'll be a helluva long time before it happens.

Sooner than you think. When the PS3 started and got those patents for Digital-Only distribution, gamers/gaming sites had a cow villifying them for it. Now people think nothing of buying PSN/XBLA games and both are doing increasing sales figures for selling full games now. The gap between selling at retail and selling the digital copy is dwindling to nothing for Sony and Microsoft. On the PC front, buying a retail game is now considered a quaint practice when you can buy from Steam (or Direct2Drive/Stardock/other such services).

>>>> If physical copies were to go away I would stop being a gamer.

People talk big whenever the industry makes a move like this but, in reality, people rarely follow through.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
The only way I see this happening is if something like his happens.

You buy your game from an online distributor (Steam, Origin) from which you can download your purchase right away and for an optonal nominal price of 5 or 10 dollars more they also ship to you a physical box and disc or evan just a disc. Well ok maybe 5 bucks gets you just a disc and 10 bucks gets you a pretty box with the disc in it. Thats about the only way that would totally remove physcal games in a store that I can see a this particular point in time and keep us old farts happy who like having something tangable for our hard earned and also get around problems like ristricted internet service or poor internet conections.

hmmm whats Gabes phone number I might be onto something here I wonder if he would pay me for the idea.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Eleuthera said:
PC gamers haven't been able to buy games in stores for years anyway
I bought Dead Island at Best Buy on Saturday for the PC for $25 and there are plenty of PC games there. Where do you live that they've stopped having them?
My Best Buy has been reduced to one small rack with a bunch of games from 2008 and Portal 2. I don't buy from them anymore.