Amnesia Studio Teases a New Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amnesia Studio Teases a New Game

Frictional Games, the studio that inflicted Amnesia: The Dark Descent upon the world, is up to something new.

In the mood for some fun? Look up some Amnesia: The Dark Descent [http://www.amazon.com/Amnesia-Dark-Descent-Pc/dp/B004FZ9822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328904933&sr=8-1] reaction videos on YouTube. In the mood for some totally-not-fun, "oh God oh God I'm going to die" horrific experiences that will scar you for life? Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent yourself, ideally in a dark room with the volume turned up. Unlike most "scary" videogames, Amnesia doesn't go for the JUMP OUT AT YOU startles; it's a slow, creeping, relentlessly grinding slide into dread, abomination and horror. It's just about the most awful thing you can do to yourself with a videogame.

And now there's more! More of what, exactly, isn't clear but if you head over to nextfrictionalgame.com [http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/] you'll see that something is up: the Amnesia logo, specifically, and "Something is emerging" laid over a too-blurry-to-be-useful image. A /whois reveals that the domain is registered to Frictional Games HB, so it doesn't appear to be a fake, and the page source says, "Welcome to the next frictional game site, a site with information about our game projects in development. We use this site to post content about a project in development, during the period it does not have a final name decided."

Also rather odd is that the image on the page links to a Google map of China. What could it mean?

Nothing good, I'm sure. Frictional's previous effort was the Penumbra [http://www.amazon.com/Penumbra-Collection-Pc/dp/B001IRFVLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328905161&sr=8-1] trilogy, a well-regarded horror game in its own right. Given how far forward the studio moved from Penumbra to Amnesia, I have serious concerns that its next game will end up killing people.

via: Video Game Writers [http://videogamewriters.com/frictional-games-posts-new-amnesia-teaser-site-38495/]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I got Amnesia a few weeks back, it scared the hell out of me even though I had already seen a playthrough!
IT'S JUST THAT GOOD.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Excellent news. I have both amnesia and the penumbra series and I'm always excited to get more horror games in my life

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
They have been working on a new game for ages this is just the first tease.
which is good they have had time to work on it already.
Though Im not gonna play it im not masochistic.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Can't wait. First silent hill 2 and 3 getting re-released and now this.

Gonna be awesome.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
*rubbing hands together*
Ow boy this is going to be good, loved penumbra and amnesia!
bring it on Frictional i promise i won't use a walktrough now when i get scared.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
... If they get any better at this survival horror thingie I might just have to get out my teddy bear.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Amnesia... in China?...

You can take my money Frictional, ALL OF IT!!!
Only got 20 bucks, hope that'll be enough :x

Hope it's a new game, these guys always deliver on the spooks.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I got Amnesia during Steam's holiday sale and haven't beaten it yet. Of 4 times I loaded it, twice I quit because of the tension. I haven't played it with any lights on so I think it will be slow going until I beat it. Three hours in I finally encountered my first enemy and alt-f4'd out. Only horror game that geniunely scares me.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
There are very few games that have scared me so much that I have been unable to go back and play them again. Two of those games were Fatal Frame (Or Project Zero over here in Europe) and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Damn that shit's scary. Sadly, that's just the way I like my horror. I really must pick that game up again some time...

Silent Hill terrifies me but I've played them all enough now that I know when I am relatively safe. THIS on the other hand... you're never truly safe. This and Penumbra... God damn zombie/mutant dog things...

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I wouldn't say I like Amnesia, more that it scares the MOTHERLOVING pants off me.

I once played it over a friend's house at night, with the curtains drawn. We all took in turns to wear the headphones while the others watched. And in the end, one outright refused to put them back on afterwards, two managed to keep going but were also scared bottomless, and I myself got to one part with a patrolling thing and I couldn't bring myself to step past the doorway behind which I was hiding.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
OMFGYESTAKEMYMONEYNOW!!!!

*ahem* Sorry about that...

Seriously though, Amnesia is my favourite horror game and imo the best/scariest horror game ever. I can't wait to hear more about this.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Eh. China is a terrible, horrible venue for any medium, let alone horror.

Japan? Korea? Those are interesting. China without Chinese culture? Doable. "Chinese," though? Hell no.

Then again, if it's anything like The Dark Descent, the setting isn't gonna matter in the slightest, and I'm excited as tits for it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hell yes.

I await this... whatever it is with baited breath.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Given how far forward the studio moved from Penumbra to Amnesia, I have serious concerns that its next game will end up killing people.
...Mission accomplished?

Less Horrible, More OT: Anything that Frictional Games is working on has me stoked, especially if it creates another slew of hilarious reaction videos.

EDIT: OH MY GOD does that blurred picture look even more creepy when seen seen in a more condensed resolution!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Awesome. Looks like all my favourite horror LPers will playing this... Whatever it is when it's released.

I'd play it myself but my laptop is beyond horrible when it comes to anything remotely recent... It runs Deus Ex perfectly though! (just got it today, along with some frankly ludicrously awesome Steam sales) You have exceeded expectations!

Doubt they'll do a console port though unfortunately. It'd be nice but I doubt they'd make the effort.