An article from a former sjw woman and a gamer.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
I readily admit, o fellow crawler of this world wide web, to engage in parody and sarcasm to get across my stance, but can you claim not to bear the same lance?
I do like to discuss the absurd
Like the use of a phrase or word
So be clear who you mean
When you use this machine
For want of the lines getting blurred

CaptainMarvelous said:
While alleging that they have no clenched fist, whyfore the WARRIOR of social justice?
(This is now a poetry slam off; I advise other readers to wear safety glasses)
There is no homogenous group who came up with the warrior part. "They" didn't name themselves. It's a derogatory label given to anyone who crosses an arbitrary line. The interpretation of what exactly constitutes this line differs from person to person.

It's very much akin to saying people are pandering to the PC crowd when all they did was pointing out what a rude/insensitive arsehole someone has been.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
C. Cain said:
There is no homogenous group who came up with the warrior part. "They" didn't name themselves. It's a derogatory label given to anyone who crosses an arbitrary line. The interpretation of what exactly constitutes this line differs from person to person.

It's very much akin to saying people are pandering to the PC crowd when all they did was pointing out what a rude/insensitive arsehole someone has been.
Limericks, ey? I AM IN FAVOUR OF THIS

While we may not teach it in school
For this topic there can be a rule
It may seem quite contrary
Maybe arbitrary
But the warriors act like a fool

They don't care for the problem of ethics
Instead they discuss gender politics
For them there is war
There can be nothing more
And they're fucking up all of our topics

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Thorn14 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Barbas said:
Wait...why is it "sjw woman" and not just "sjw"?
Simple. Because A GIRL agrees with us.

This has been pretty SOP for a while now.
Hey, if people are going to throw around the argument that all gamers are nerdy white males, I'll take anyone calling that out with actual proof they aren't any day.
It's not even about gaming. SJW comes from men's rights activists, the thinly veiled hategroups who saw all the slut shaming in #Gamergate and thought "dude, I could go for some of that!" The whole turdpile has since become indistinguishable from just another angry misogynist clusterfuck, which at least in my opinion is what keeps it from succeeding as the supposed talk about journalistic integrity that we should probably have.

As for the article: let's look at it rhetorically.
-Begins with enough weepy garbage as to make it functionally unassailable because THAT POOR LADY
-Covers bases of author having minority heritage and nonconventional sexuality to silence kneejerk liberals
-Blame placed on mother EVEN OTHER WOMEN HAVE BETRAYED HER
-Asserts she was totally a SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR but not how, IMMEDIATELY jumps to 4chan good, WOMEN LEARNING bad
-Specifically states "liberal elite SJWs will try to silence you" to preempt any contradiction
-Plays race card as soon as possible to bring up the hipocrasy of white guilt, which as we all know COLLEGE FORCES ON YOU
-Oddly specific horror stories about mentally handicapped transsexuals (something that, while possible would be uncommon since in the US, you need to pass an absurd number of psych screens for gender reassignment)
-Calling out the whole "Feminists take power over gamers" angle that, once again, HAS NOT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

OKAY. I mean I don't mean to be condescending, and it's certainly possible this lady exists, but this is all EXACTLY what I would write if I were an angry dude trying to cater to the gamergate crowd. And, you know there's no way to prove ANY of this. But look! She has depression, just like that slut you guys like! SJWs, am I right? Looks like the best we can do is check her twitter-

Which had ZERO posts before gamergate except one about how Ayn Rand > liberals.

YEAH, I'm calling BS.

communist gamer

Jul 9, 2014
Rayce Archer said:
Thorn14 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Barbas said:
Wait...why is it "sjw woman" and not just "sjw"?
. SJW comes from men's rights activists
where do you get your information, because it sounds like it comes from "the sun". Really where the hek did you read that SJW come from men's rights activists? And where did you find slut shaming at #gamergate?

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:

Maybe arbitrary

For them there is war

These warrior corps don't exist
The people clenching their fist
Are individual fools
Who are acting like tools
With no organisation to list

You callously call us that name
You treat us as if we're the same
Quite out of the blue
Indignation you spew
To dismiss a cause! Such a shame

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Would you settle for one displaying her overt racism? [https://twitter.com/FartToContinue/status/511340606527119360/photo/1]

Honestly, she, like many others shoulder-deep in this fiasco, is an incredibly shitty person. Not deserving of harassment, of course. No one is. But still, she's the definition of repugnant.
It took me all of 10 seconds reading Leigh Alexander's twitter history to determine she wasn't someone I'd enjoy spending time with. So more piling on at this point is unnecessary.

I asked if there was attribution for a particular quote, the "All men who play games are misogynist" quote. That's quite a quote, right? I've heard more than one person fly that particular flag as the motivation for their rage against the hypothetical "SJW" hordes. Still waiting for attribution.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
C. Cain said:
CaptainMarvelous said:

Maybe arbitrary

For them there is war

These warrior corps don't exist
The people clenching their fist
Are individual fools
Who are acting like tools
With no organisation to list

You callously call us that name
You treat us as if we're the same
Quite out of the blue
Indignation you spew
To dismiss a cause! Such a shame
I disagree, that using this label
To the idiots existing in fable
Will hurt your good cause
Indeed, it calls for applause
For if you aren't one, what can it disable?

While we may disagree on some bits
We agree being cruel is the pits
But indeed while it sucks
Both sides have dumb fucks
It's only a problem if the boot fits

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Res Plus said:
SJWs hate the terms SJW because it attacks the very core of their dogma, it reveals them not as the struggling oppressed but the violent, censoring oppressor; it changes them from the freedom fighter they seen in their mind into bully they are in real life; it forces them to actually engage with the meaningless platitudes and nauseatingly PC linguistic they use to usher through so much of their creed in their mind and speech. They don't like it because "tolerance and diversity" through censorship and repression is inherently hypocritical.

Another good SJW barometer is checking to see if someone claims "censorship" has nothing to do with the issue. SJWs hate being called on their censorship as the term is redolent of the nebulous "man" they are "fighting".

Essentially, the term SJW causes a massive attack of the Rage of Caliban in SJWs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_the_well

Poisoning the well (or attempting to poison the well) is a rhetorical device where adverse information about a target is pre-emptively presented to an audience, with the intention of discrediting or ridiculing everything that the target person is about to say. Poisoning the well can be a special case of argumentum ad hominem, and the term was first used with this sense by John Henry Newman in his work Apologia Pro Vita Sua (1864). The origin of the term lies in well poisoning, an ancient wartime practice of pouring poison into sources of fresh water before an invading army, to diminish the attacking army's strength.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudice

Prejudice is prejudgment, or forming an opinion before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. The word is often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender, political opinion, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality or other personal characteristics. In this case, it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their perceived group membership.
Before you get started, I could give less of a shit whether you ascribe to a personal sense of "social justice" or not. I don't know you, we're not friends, your personal belief system is rather irrelevant to me here, on the gaming forum. But this lazy generalization and blanket pejorative? I do care about that. You complain about dogma while uttering one of the outrageously dogmatic screeds I've ever heard. Are you oblivious to the hypocrisy of that?

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
A severely mentally handicapped, biracial transsexual individual above me had the habit of playing music at 3 am and continuing it loud enough for the walls to shake until they fell asleep the next night. I went upstairs and was called ablest for asking for the music to get turned down. When I went to my friends crying over the word they told me I was because clearly the music was part of their treatment. When the person upstairs reported me falsely for drug use I was encouraged not to counter report as that was racist. When I finally cracked and called the cops after the transexual individual broke into my house and smeared "trans hater" on my wall in crap for what I later found out to be a perceived slight by not smiling right at him. I was told to examine my potentially biased view points as I clearly didn't smile at him right.
It could well be true but this sounds like the most madey-uppey story that has ever been made-up.
Alright, they're not even trying to be subtle anymore. Or maybe they still are, in which case, wow, that's kind of sad.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
I disagree, that using this label
To the idiots existing in fable
Will hurt your good cause
Indeed, it calls for applause
For if you aren't one, what can it disable?

While we may disagree on some bits
We agree being cruel is the pits
But indeed while it sucks
Both sides have dumb fucks
It's only a problem if the boot fits
The terms are still way too broad
Reasoned thoughts are put to the sword
The terms do not apply
We wave points goodbye
Social justice is to be abhorred

I concur with you on not being cruel
Such behaviour is the mark of a fool
The thing I can't abide,
Lack of precision aside,
Is the exception proving the rule

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
communist gamer said:
dude a SJW is a term used to describe someone who take the whole fighting for equality thing way too far.
We already have lots of words for that. Extremist. Fundamentalist. Ideologue. There is no shortage of words in the English language to describe people who are rigid and inflexible in their belief system.

"SJW", though, is a pejorative coined by idiots to throw a blanket over a varied cross section of people whom they disagree with. It is the new "White Knight", as modified to apply to both genders equally. Don't agree with someone? Poison the well by calling them a name first, a term designed purely to insult, and to imply membership in a group with presumed characteristics. Then you don't HAVE to debate them point by point, or try to understand their point of view, or come to an understanding. You can just call them a name, and dismiss them off-hand. This kind of labeling allows for a greatly simplified world view. You're not disagreeing with PEOPLE, who have a variety of opinions, motivations, rationale, etc, etc. You're disagreeing with an IDEA that you invented. The idea of the "social justice warrior", a blinkered idiot who believes in lazy, unfocused activism, the cause of the week, and soap-boxing on the internet about issues they barely understand. Much easier to dismiss. You know everything you need to know about them! They're a SJW! It's an open and shut case!

This is the essence of prejudice and bigotry. Invent a group with presumed characteristics, give it a name, assign people you disagree with to that group, and sneer at it at every given opportunity. You can put a little jacket and hat on it and say you're doing it because you believe in "ethical transparency in game journalism" or engage in slippery slope hysteria about the death of the hobby at the hands of meddling beatniks, but at the end of the day you are just rationalizing bigotry.

So while calling someone who uses the term "a moron" would be throwing wild punches, calling someone who uses the term prejudiced would be entirely accurate.

Now, I have no idea about you, but I tend to disregard obvious prejudice when I hear it. If you want to keep using the term because you think it's a cute way to ridicule people you dislike, you may continue to do so, but don't be under any illusions about what you're doing.
While I understand where you are coming from and know that you obviously don't find [insert group here] perfect. I must say that neither side is worth defending in a group minded setting. Because no matter what even if you say that x group is doing something "bad" others in x group will sit and say we don't do that or they don't do that. The same can be said when the x group does the same blaming of group y for doing a "bad" thing. There are good arguments on both sides of this issue. But there are cases where the SJW or feminist crowd have labeled something for being sexist or racist when really it was unnecessary to do so. Likewise on the anti-sjw and anti feminist side they called out those crowds on something that was actually a problem. neither side pays attention to its mistakes nor do they credit each other for good points made in defense of their arguments. And yes most of these crowds are made up of people arguing over the internet myself begrudgingly included.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
God said:
While I understand where you are coming from and know that you obviously don't find [insert group here] perfect. I must say that neither side is worth defending in a group minded setting. Because no matter what even if you say that x group is doing something "bad" others in x group will sit and say we don't do that or they don't do that. The same can be said when the x group does the same blaming of group y for doing a "bad" thing. There are good arguments on both sides of this issue. But there are cases where the SJW or feminist crowd have labeled something for being sexist or racist when really it was unnecessary to do so. Likewise on the anti-sjw and anti feminist side they called out those crowds on something that was actually a problem. neither side pays attention to its mistakes nor do they credit each other for good points made in defense of their arguments. And yes most of these crowds are made up of people arguing over the internet myself begrudgingly included.
I can't speak for "SJWs" because they don't exist, but the "feminist crowd" doesn't "do" anything, because it is composed of a great multitude of individuals who all think and feel differently about issues. So yes, certain PEOPLE who identify as feminist have occasionally labelled something as racist or sexist when it was "unnecessary to do so", because hey, people get emotional and stick labels on things when they really don't belong there. The proper response to that is to discourage labeling, not to give them a label in return.

All I want to see is a return to civility in the discussion. I want to see the attitude polarization dropped, and PEOPLE share their thoughts with other PEOPLE, treating them like individuals. At that point we can probably have these discussions in this forum without me throwing up in my mouth every time I read them.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
God said:
I can't speak for "SJWs" because they don't exist, but the "feminist crowd" doesn't "do" anything, because it is composed of a great multitude of individuals who all think and feel differently about issues. So yes, certain PEOPLE who identify as feminist have occasionally labelled something as racist or sexist when it was "unnecessary to do so", because hey, people get emotional and stick labels on things when they really don't belong there. The proper response to that is to discourage labeling, not to give them a label in return.

All I want to see is a return to civility in the discussion. I want to see the attitude polarization dropped, and PEOPLE share their thoughts with other PEOPLE, treating them like individuals. At that point we can probably have these discussions in this forum without me throwing up in my mouth every time I read them.
I would love to see that too. When I say the feminist "crowd" what I really mean is essentially those people who write those labels and those that agree with said unnecessary labels and try to enforce them. So not exactly saying all feminists just those ones that may or may not be made up. But then again the sjws do exist because there people who label themselves as such and go about doing things in the name of that label. I won't chastise an entire group nor will I label such people unreasonable because then I am just doing the same thing as others. I would rather contribute to the discussion rather than point fingers and find blame or label others as something to disenfranchise them. Such behavior is appalling and adds nothing to a conversation. I seek dialogue and wish to learn and understand as much as I can.

captcha: flat tire

captcha if you're trying to help do it somewhere else.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
God said:
But then again the sjws do exist because there people who label themselves as such and go about doing things in the name of that label.
I could label myself a super hero, it wouldn't mean I was one. If someone attaches a stupid label to themselves and goes about doing and saying ridiculous things, we don't presume there is now an entire demographic of people to whom we can easily apply that label and pre-judge everything they might say. We just see a single person with an overly high opinion of themselves.

And for what it's worth, I spend an UNREASONABLE amount of time online, and I had never ONCE heard the term "social justice warrior" before I encountered it on this forum, and I have only EVER heard it used in the derogatory by the people who are convinced they are everywhere.

God said:
I would rather contribute to the discussion rather than point fingers and find blame or label others as something to disenfranchise them. Such behavior is appalling and adds nothing to a conversation. I seek dialogue and wish to learn and understand as much as I can.
That is laudable, and I wish there were more people with that mindset in these discussions.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Vigormortis said:
BloatedGuppy said:
I don't like Leigh. I think she comports herself terribly on twitter, and has fallen into using hostile generalizations and inflammatory hyperbole when she speaks out on issues. That said, I've never seen a quote attributed to her where she says "everyone who plays games and is male is a misogynist". If you can find one, I'd love to read it.
Would you settle for one displaying her overt racism? [https://twitter.com/FartToContinue/status/511340606527119360/photo/1]

Honestly, she, like many others shoulder-deep in this fiasco, is an incredibly shitty person. Not deserving of harassment, of course. No one is. But still, she's the definition of repugnant.
Wait wait wait.

She is being racist and NOT being racist against white people?

Can't be a SJW then I guess.
Haven't we decided them SJW's lurk around Tumblr (or are everywhere) plotting to get rid of all the white cishet men as a somekind of PC-policing hivemind?

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
God said:
But then again the sjws do exist because there people who label themselves as such and go about doing things in the name of that label.
I could label myself a super hero, it wouldn't mean I was one. If someone attaches a stupid label to themselves and goes about doing and saying ridiculous things, we don't presume there is now an entire demographic of people to whom we can easily apply that label and pre-judge everything they might say. We just see a single person with an overly high opinion of themselves.

And for what it's worth, I spend an UNREASONABLE amount of time online, and I had never ONCE heard the term "social justice warrior" before I encountered it on this forum, and I have only EVER heard it used in the derogatory by the people who are convinced they are everywhere.

God said:
I would rather contribute to the discussion rather than point fingers and find blame or label others as something to disenfranchise them. Such behavior is appalling and adds nothing to a conversation. I seek dialogue and wish to learn and understand as much as I can.
That is laudable, and I wish there were more people with that mindset in these discussions.
Well the only reason I use the term sjw at all is due to the fact that it's easier to understand what or who I'm talking about. I don't mean it in any sense as a derogatory simply as a name for some people. Secondly if enough people are labeled or label themselves as something doesn't that make them a demographic no matter how specialized. For instance if a large group of people started calling themselves super hero's and going about doing things in that name then the label would apply to those people would it not? but yes if only one person calls themselves something and acts in whatever way then yes there is not a demographic. But there are a large amount of people who label themselves as such and going around preaching whatever they preach. Generally if you want to actually talk to these people you have to search them out. I agree with your last point.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
God said:
Well the only reason I use the term sjw at all is due to the fact that it's easier to understand what or who I'm talking about. I don't mean it in any sense as a derogatory simply as a name for some people.
Well that's sort of the thing. It's an easy label. It's an unquestioned pejorative (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SJW) invented to allow for easy grouping and denigration. Yes, it makes things "easier", but it makes things "easier" in a really awful way for really awful reasons. It's not SUPPOSED to be easy to label people and discard their opinions as a result of that label.

God said:
Secondly if enough people are labeled or label themselves as something doesn't that make them a demographic no matter how specialized. For instance if a large group of people started calling themselves super hero's and going about doing things in that name then the label would apply to those people would it not?
Do we have evidence of a large group of people doing this? I've yet to even see evidence of a single person referring to themselves as a "social justice warrior".

Additionally, a label one chooses for themselves =/= a label that is chosen for you.

God said:
Generally if you want to actually talk to these people you have to search them out. I agree with your last point.
If you want to encounter a particularly radical perspective on life, odds are you can use the internet to find that perspective. This is the essence of confirmation bias.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
God said:
Well the only reason I use the term sjw at all is due to the fact that it's easier to understand what or who I'm talking about. I don't mean it in any sense as a derogatory simply as a name for some people.
Well that's sort of the thing. It's an easy label. It's an unquestioned pejorative (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SJW) invented to allow for easy grouping and denigration. Yes, it makes things "easier", but it makes things "easier" in a really awful way for really awful reasons. It's not SUPPOSED to be easy to label people and discard their opinions as a result of that label.

God said:
Secondly if enough people are labeled or label themselves as something doesn't that make them a demographic no matter how specialized. For instance if a large group of people started calling themselves super hero's and going about doing things in that name then the label would apply to those people would it not?
Do we have evidence of a large group of people doing this? I've yet to even see evidence of a single person referring to themselves as a "social justice warrior".

Additionally, a label one chooses for themselves =/= a label that is chosen for you.

God said:
Generally if you want to actually talk to these people you have to search them out. I agree with your last point.
If you want to encounter a particularly radical perspective on life, odds are you can use the internet to find that perspective. This is the essence of confirmation bias.
I will resign that argument then, although if you don't mind me asking what awful ways do you mean as I have mentioned I don't mean it in any sense of demeaning or otherwise. (adding this to avoid low content) I am enjoying this conversation we are having I hope you feel the same.