An Escapist Farewell

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Irridium said:
So long Steve, you did good work. Won't be the same without you.

Susan Arendt said:
Spygon said:
Sad to see you go Steve you did a really good job here.But kinda worried on who is going to be taking the reigns at the escapist now.
That'd be me.
So does that mean the site will now focus more on adorable baby animals?

Because I'd be cool with that.
Oh, yes. The overall Cute here will go up at least threefold. There will be baby otters, my friend. Holding hands.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Wow ... Another one? ... The Escapist is surely burning through content creators as well as managers recently.
Best wishes to Steve, of course, and ... we'll see where this shifts the magazine now.

Captcha: happy blessings
Indeed, happy blessings to you, Steve.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
Steve, you were probably my favorite on the podcast, super bummed to see you go. I hope your personal issues turn out alright though and that you continue being awesome in the future, man!

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Just in case:
In the short year you have been Editor-in-Chief, you have been monumental in the transformation of this site into the intellectual and civilized paradise it has become as a gaming medium.

I as a person, gamer, and ultimately escapist, must give my supreme utmost appreciation, and thanks to you for this. Through the innovative views, opinions, and insights given through your articles and podcasts, you have given a clarity to me that has helped me find a spectacular appreciation (and a new-found drive for a career) in the future of games and the gaming industry as a whole. Trust me when I say that. Through the Escapist, gaming has become one of, if not the, biggest aspect of my life and I am fully comitted in the support and growth of the industry. It has given me shelter as a lover of games where that love is rarely found, and has shown me new and exciting areas and fields that I would never have known before. I personally thank you for delivering this, not only to me, but to the hundreds of others on this site.

Know that I will support your future career in gaming journalism and I wish nothing but the best of luck to you.

I'll see you in Sovngarde.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Spygon said:
Sad to see you go Steve you did a really good job here.But kinda worried on who is going to be taking the reigns at the escapist now.
That'd be me.
Fantastic news.

Do us proud! (and with more partying!)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Nasrin said:
"It is, quite literally, a site named after you, the Escapist, the person who is searching for an alternative to the ordinary."

Is someone cutting onions in here?...

That is exactly what I thought the day I came in for my interview: I can't believe this place is real.

As a kid, my mom would say the word "escapism" to me accusingly very often. She would come home from work and I'd be playing the new WoW expansion or working through Xenosaga on my PS2. In her mind I was wasting opportunities to be living a "real" life. Now my real life includes being surrounded by people that don't think my passion is a waste of time. Quite the contrary, my love of games is probably one of the most positive things in my life.

You were a great EIC, Steve, and your mustache would make Hulk Hogan jealous. Best of luck to you, my friend!

/salute
*While trying to fight back the tears*
Yep. Someone is cutting a LOT of onions.

That was great Nasrin. You know, I think the one thing I'll miss the most about Steve is his laugh in the podcast. Guy has a great laugh. Good stories too.

We'll all miss ya Steve. Good Luck!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Irridium said:
So long Steve, you did good work. Won't be the same without you.

Susan Arendt said:
Spygon said:
That'd be me.
So does that mean the site will now focus more on adorable baby animals?

Because I'd be cool with that.
Oh, yes. The overall Cute here will go up at least threefold. There will be baby otters, my friend. Holding hands.
Congratulations! I can't think of a better candidate. Not that there arn't some great choices in the ranks of the Escapist.

Long Live Steve!
Long Live The Nerd Queen!
Long LIve The Otters!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Your moustache will live on in my dreams forever, farewell fine sir

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Good-bye! Be good, take care of yourselves - and DON'T LEAVE THE PATH!

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/files/2012/07/gandalf.jpg

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
But... who's going to fill the designated quota of awesome manly facial hair? :(

Seriously, though: it's always sad to see an important member of staff leave, but it's been good times. Best of luck with whatever comes next, and thanks for all you've done here.

Susan Arendt said:
Spygon said:
That'd be me.

I'unno, a kitten seemed appropriate for some reason. This is brilliant news.

(EDIT: okay wow, I just noticed I'm two days late on this. My excuse is that I've been too deeply entrenched in Skyrim this past week to even notice what day of the week it is. At least I finally got around to finishing it...)

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Spygon said:
That'd be me.
So how do you plan on making up for the lack of a make-fun-of-able last name? I mean, Pitts, Butts... Arendt!?

I mean, if you were keeping with tradition, your last name would be a minimum of "Slimes" and a maximum of "Fartdribbles".

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
DeepComet5581 said:
First Russ, now Steve.

Good God - Who's next? Graham?

That leaving speech is full of cliche and conjecture it's actually slightly funny.

Well, one must do what one must do - Have legs, will travel and all that.

God knows I've been through quite a few jobs in my time.

Fare thee well, Mr Butts and rejoice in your future endeavours.
If Graham left I think I'd be out >_>.

Susan Arendt said:
I was wrong...I think Susan has won my loyalty to the website.

Powerful design plans!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Fappy said:
I figured as much. It was the logical choice from the outside looking in, anyway. Be prepared to get an even bigger inbox every morning! XP

Good luck!
I still think Narsins cat was the better choice...no offense of coarse

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Farewell and best of luck in your future endeavours.

I will definitly miss you on the podcat; I found your insights and sense of humour some of the most entertaining content on the site and you were always my favourite (Shhhh...).

Question before you go; with all this free time on your hands, can we expect to see your paper on your pee theory published in the next couple of weeks?