An honest converstion

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
So, Internet non celebrity Asalieri launched a video that attacks The Escapist, and Yahtzee in particular, about the escapists plan to get Yahtzee to Pax by having people donate. See video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgOlx3qi_s&feature=feedu

while it does seem like a rather cheapskate move by the escapist (( Can't they use all the fat advert money they get from me watching Yahtzee's Videos repeatedly to get him to PAX?)), I also have to examine Asalieri's motivations, that go way beyond the altruistic in this instance.

Namely, his connection to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xRazorFistx

Now I have seen every video by all three of these people. I actually like all three of them. But Razorfist and Asalieri's main complaint about Yahtzee seem to be that he is successful, and makes more money than them. So I am inclined to simply call "troll" and move on. However, Asa makes some valid points regarding The Escapist's tightfistedness and desire to get all of us to pay for Yahtzee to go to pax. I am a bit torn. I would prolly pay 100.00 to hang out with Yahtzee at Pax, if I was going to it. But the Escapists excuse that Yahtzee's expenses must be paid etc, and not by them, seems extremely thin and pathetic.

Your Thoughts?

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
Troll.

While I will never donate ANY money to somebody who makes more then I do, I'm not going to hate the guy for it.

Besides, I already paid the Escapist $20 for the Publisher's club.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

The Escapist needs more money.
Please qualify your statement. In what way do you believe that the Escapist needs more money? please show proof or at least some idea that they are lacking money.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
Okay, I can't finish listening to this guy, he's a complete ***. In about 1 minute in, he doesn't really provide any real motivation for my opinion to be swayed any different than it was. All it sounded like to me was a kid who was mad that someone was asking for help that he thought didn't need it. I don't give the escapist any money, because I make borderline nothing working retail. However, I don't see the escapist buying its members private jets either, and I doubt Yahtzee makes a fortune writing for the escapist.
Simply put - Don't like it? Don't donate. All you are doing by posting youtube hate is making yourself look immature.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

Please qualify your statement. In what way do you believe that the Escapist needs more money? please show proof or at least some idea that they are lacking money.
They have shitty captchas, these shitty captchas bring in revenue. The Escapist needs more money, and if they get enough money there will be no need for the aforementioned shitty captchas.

kitolz

Jul 4, 2011
Hafrael said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

They have shitty captchas, these shitty captchas bring in revenue. The Escapist needs more money, and if they get enough money there will be no need for the aforementioned shitty captchas.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how captchas can increase revenue. I believe they're a service from Google so that individual hosts don't need to shoulder the processing load of generating and validating the captchas, not an ad revenue stream.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how captchas can increase revenue. I believe they're a service from Google so that individual hosts don't need to shoulder the processing load of generating and validating the captchas, not an ad revenue stream.
No they provide a small revenue stream, they're ads. (Otherwise we'd just be using recaptchas)

kitolz

Jul 4, 2011
Hafrael said:
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

No they provide a small revenue stream, they're ads. (Otherwise we'd just be using recaptchas)
Really? How so? They don't advertise anything, why would a business pay to have a website use their captcha service?

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

Really? How so? They don't advertise anything, why would a business pay to have a website use their captcha service?
I believe it somehow converts text into some kind of word processing scheme. I am a bit fuzzy about this but I believe he is correct, I am just not positive about how it works.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
kitolz said:
/snip
Oh, so when I had to type in DISH Network Exclusive or whatever after watching a 20 second advertisement for said service, that wasn't an ad?

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
they jelly bro
anyone who makes the slightest but of money in the game reviewing industry is hated by those below them. Frankly that's why they are in that spot, because being a jealous asshole never got anybody anything.

kitolz

Jul 4, 2011
Salad Is Murder said:
kitolz said:
/snip
Oh, so when I had to type in DISH Network Exclusive or whatever after watching a 20 second advertisement for said service, that wasn't an ad?
Haha, I've never gotten anything like that on this site yet. I've only gotten reCaptchas so far. I didn't know this site used AdCaptchas, that would be very annoying.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
kitolz said:
Salad Is Murder said:
kitolz said:
/snip
Haha, I've never gotten anything like that on this site yet. I've only gotten reCaptchas so far. I didn't know this site used AdCaptchas, that would be very annoying.
They do, the captcha for this post is a norwegian cruise line ad.

They may not appear in certain regions.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
magnuslion said:
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
kitolz said:
Hafrael said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

I believe it somehow converts text into some kind of word processing scheme. I am a bit fuzzy about this but I believe he is correct, I am just not positive about how it works.
The recaptchas (the ones with weird black and white text) gain no revenue for the Escapist, the ad ones, where you have to type in stuff like 'Having DISH TV will get you laid', do.

(The Escapist is slowly switching over because with the ever-increasing video series and reviews, they need more money to pay the reviewers/comedians/talking-people.)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
For a thread that wished to have an honest conversation, it went downhill quick.

I think it's best that I step out while I'm not involved in any flame wars.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I haven't seen anything to do with this on the site, but this same thread does keep popping up so:

The Escapist shouldn't be asking. And its in especially poor taste to ask right after people's donations to Allison from Extra Credits. Whether its a coincidence or they've decided to ride off of people's charitable nature, they shouldn't have asked (regardless of it being a voluntary donation).

I'm sure the site accumulates plenty of money from me alone when I have to sit through the same ad 10 times before the podcast will buffer past the minute-mark; if they were only just making enough to cover their own arses then the publishing group would let the magazine go.

So yeah, poor show all round.

EDIT: Just looked at the donation site which is the exact same one used for Allison. This is just... embarassing. People donate so that a woman can continue to work and isn't paralyzed for the rest of her life, and the Escapist decides to take advantage of this recent situation by asking people to donate for something they should be paying for. If he goes, you're doing it to increase your own exposure Escapist. Whoever called this just went down several notches in my book.

Shame on you.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
Personally I think it's fine. If you want to donate then go ahead. It's not like you get banned if you don't donate. The one valid point that guy had in his video was that message written by a moderator (if it actually was. I'm not sure of the validity). The part where it says he would have to fly business class so he isn't exhausted and sick. That part pissed me off because I bet that the majority of people they are asking to donate can't afford to fly international, let alone business class. I flew economy once and I didn't get pneumonia or cancer and the seat was actually quite comfortable. So if that post was true then that is, in my opinion, the worst part of this whole issue.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Woodsey said:
I haven't seen anything to do with this on the site, but this same thread does keep popping up so:

The Escapist shouldn't be asking. And its in especially poor taste to ask right after people's donations to Allison from Extra Credits. Whether its a coincidence or they've decided to ride off of people's charitable nature, they shouldn't have asked (regardless of it being a voluntary donation).

I'm sure the site accumulates plenty of money from me alone when I have to sit through the same ad 10 times before the podcast will buffer past the minute-mark; if they were only just making enough to cover their own arses then the publishing group would let the magazine go.

EDIT: Just looked at the donation site which is the exact same one used for Allison. This is just... embarassing. People donate so that a woman can continue to work and isn't paralyzed for the rest of her life, and the Escapist decides to take advantage of this recent situation by asking people to donate for something they should be paying for. If he goes, you're doing it to increase your own exposure Escapist. Whoever called this just went down several notches in my book.

Shame on you.
RocketHub is actually used by a lot of places that have donation drives for things. Pretty much every time I see anyone collecting money for anything, they use it. I highly doubt they're using one service or another just because Extra Credits used the same one for their donation run. The reason they likely don't do it right through the Escapist itself is likely due to the same reason they didn't for Extra Credits. It'd take a decent amount of bandwidth to get a progress bar that runs in real time with donations, make a list with all the supplies and how many people have gotten them, and show a time left clock (though that's the easiest of them all of course). It saves them money to just use an outside service instead.

Anyways, OT: The guy in the video is an ass. It's one thing to attack the website for what they're doing, but insulting people who spent money in a way they wanted to is just being petty. I really don't care what the escapist does in terms running charity drives. They only had the announcement taking up a lot of space for one day. Now it's barely a footnote other then people complaining on the forum. Plus, he goes on to lie in the description:

You see, he refuses to show up to PAX 2011 to meet his fans unless they cough up 20000 dollars to fly him and his posse FIRST CLASS to Seattle. I wish I was making this stuff up, but see for yourself
Now, as far as I know, 'his posse' isn't covered in this. Don't know where he got the idea that it was. Of course, I could be wrong on that.

I guess my problem is the prices on things. They are expensive ($75 for an autographed poster unless I'm going to Pax Prime?), and the $100,000 one is just absurd. But honestly, I don't know why people would care. Don't donate if you don't want to. I wouldn't be surprised if round-trip tickets, a private room to meet in, a hotel room in the area for the entire convention, and the convention itself would cost about $20,000. People's main problem seems to be that the Escapist makes a lot of money (though I don't know of any real proof for this other then it gets a lot of traffic). To which I reply, so? This sounds like something that they're trying to get together for any fans of Yahtzee's going to PAX Prime. If he goes or not isn't that big of a deal really. I know I'm not going to be donating a cent because I just don't care.

Oh well, I guess the guy in the video was just an annoying troll.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Kapol said:
Woodsey said:

Shame on you.
RocketHub is actually used by a lot of places that have donation drives for things. Pretty much every time I see anyone collecting money for anything, they use it. I highly doubt they're using one service or another just because Extra Credits used the same one for their donation run. The reason they likely don't do it right through the Escapist itself is likely due to the same reason they didn't for Extra Credits. It'd take a decent amount of bandwidth to get a progress bar that runs in real time with donations, make a list with all the supplies and how many people have gotten them, and show a time left clock (though that's the easiest of them all of course). It saves them money to just use an outside service instead.

Anyways, OT: The guy in the video is an ass. It's one thing to attack the website for what they're doing, but insulting people who spent money in a way they wanted to is just being petty. I really don't care what the escapist does in terms running charity drives. They only had the announcement taking up a lot of space for one day. Now it's barely a footnote other then people complaining on the forum. Plus, he goes on to lie in the description:

You see, he refuses to show up to PAX 2011 to meet his fans unless they cough up 20000 dollars to fly him and his posse FIRST CLASS to Seattle. I wish I was making this stuff up, but see for yourself
Now, as far as I know, 'his posse' isn't covered in this. Don't know where he got the idea that it was. Of course, I could be wrong on that.

I guess my problem is the prices on things. They are expensive ($75 for an autographed poster unless I'm going to Pax Prime?), and the $100,000 one is just absurd. But honestly, I don't know why people would care. Don't donate if you don't want to. I wouldn't be surprised if round-trip tickets, a private room to meet in, a hotel room in the area for the entire convention, and the convention itself would cost about $20,000. People's main problem seems to be that the Escapist makes a lot of money (though I don't know of any real proof for this other then it gets a lot of traffic). To which I reply, so? This sounds like something that they're trying to get together for any fans of Yahtzee's going to PAX Prime. If he goes or not isn't that big of a deal really. I know I'm not going to be donating a cent because I just don't care.

Oh well, I guess the guy in the video was just an annoying troll.
Its just another nail, I wasn't hanging my entire view point on it being the same site.