An idea for a good video game movie

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
A full length feature film of team fortress two, written and directed by the same people who made the "meet the" trailers of course, and with the same art style as the the game obviously. I would pay a lot to see that, even though it couldn't really have a cohesive plot.

P.S. sorry this was so short and sloppy, I had to write it in a real hurry.

Jul 2, 2008
Personally, I like the "Meet the" trailers because they're short and because they remind me of a mockumentary. I suppose it could be done but it probably wouldn't be that good.

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
Gah! Everyone i think about is already done!
Gears of war (in progress)
Halo(Progress)
Bioshock(Progress)
Max Payne(That movie was bitchin')
Fallout(Mad Max anyone?)
World of warcraft(Still goin'?)
Rsv2(oh lord, this was just a dumb thought.)

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I think the only way a video game movie can be really succesful is if it doesn't take itself seriously, as the crowd most likely won't. It needs to be fun, and make the crowd its friend. I guess what I'm saying is it is important for a video game movie to have charm. I suggest either Psychonauts or Kirby (obviously this would be a children's movie, and hopefully a lot better than the anime).

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
DraconianKing said:
I disagree. You kind of need a plot.
Also the general public would hate hearing "I'm cappin' A! Scout's around the corner!" and "We got Uber, push, push!"
Well, t could just be a straight to dvd, or an extended trailer...

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
Earthworm Jim would work fantastically well.

Also I like the idea for a manga based n Killer 7!

For the major blockbuster how about Piers Brosnan starring as 007 in a remake of the N64 classic Goldeneye???

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'd like to see Half Life become a movie. Just think of how epic it would be!
I'm also waiting for the BioShock movie to come out.check here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230526/

But I think there isn't enough plot to make a TF2 movie. Could be intresting though.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Dart378 said:
Gah! Everyone i think about is already done!
Gears of war (in progress)
Halo(Progress)
Bioshock(Progress)
Max Payne(That movie was bitchin')
Fallout(Mad Max anyone?)
World of warcraft(Still goin'?)
Rsv2(oh lord, this was just a dumb thought.)
Can't comment on the others, but I can say a few things about Halo, Gears of War and Bioshock.

Basically, the Halo movie has been in development hell since the idea was proposed in 2005. There were rumours that Guillermo del Toro would direct and Peter Jackson would be executive producer. These two things would most likely have made the film half decent (since most video games don't make very good films, but I enjoyed the Resident Evil films and have noticed some game-movies have been very well recieved by the public and by critics). Jackson is a brilliant director and producer with a string of box office smashes to his name, including the LOTR trilogy and King Kong. Del Toro, on the other hand, is responsible for films such as Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, and Blade 2, as well as being very well recieved in his own country. He is also one of the 'Three Amigos', who are basically three of the best directors in Mexico at the moment, alongside Alfonso Cuaron. Such great names would have made the Halo movie pretty good, even if they wouldn't be brilliant (better than a Uwe Boll film, at any rate). However, it is stuck in development hell and the latest attempt (a screenplay of the prequel novel The Fall of Reach) is still underway.

Gears of War has had it's film rights bought by New Line Cinema who worked with Peter Jackson on the LOTR trilogy, so we can expect to see someone who knows what they are doing at the helm. Stuart Beattie has been lined up to write a script for a prequel movie (he also wrote the script for the Halo movie, above), and a director hasn't yet been confirmed. Since it's being done by one of the biggest film studios in Hollywood it'll no doubt get the Hollywood treatment, but still seems to be in the hands of people who know what they're doing when it comes to good films, so we might (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised.

Bioshock is being done by Universal Studios, so again people who will try and make it into a decent film. It's going to utilise the same techniques for filming Rapture as 300 used for Sparta, and the release date is set for Summer 2010, although filming hasn't started yet. Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean) and John Logan (Gladiator, The Aviator and Sweeny Todd) are involved so again there are some experienced and good filmmakers on board. No more information has been released yet (to my knowledge), but again it looks like it may hopefully be a good film, and a pleasant surprise.

My point overall is that hopefully we're about to see the new age of films based on movies. Mostly they are absolute crap, with a few exceptions, and so we all think that when a new film comes out based on a game it'll be a load of rubbish (more so if it's a fighting game like DOA or if it's directed by Uwe Boll). Maybe now we'll start to see better films now the more experienced and successful film-makers are getting involved.