An Interesting Fact About Your Country

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Treblaine said:
But what are the technicalities if the Parliament actually invite the new monarch in who has certain (arguable) claims to the throne?

"technically" James II was considered Abdicated when he fled to France.
No, actually he fled rather than fight off what was, he knew, an unwinnable war against an invading force with massive popular support in England. He was then adjudged to have forfeited his crown and spent the rest of his life in France. It may almost be a mockery of the word invasion, but there it is. It was an invasion, just a consensual one.

And the way in which it is an invasion is that parliament could not, and cannot, appoint a king. They can ask him to stake his claim and overthrow the current king, as they did, but them simply asking him to be king does not make him king. A coup was required, so an invasion was mounted and he seized power.

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
The Australian coat of arms has 2 special things about it.
1. It is the only country to have animals on the coat of arms that aren't illegal to kill/eat (ie Americans have Bald Eagle and they are significant) Australia has the Emu that can be eaten and local butchers will quite often stock Kangaroo on a regular basis.
2. The Kangaroo and Emu both can't walk backwards signifying that Australia will always move forwards.

EDIT: Also, the 1st biggest population of Greeks in 1 city is Athens, Greece. 2nd is Melbourne, Australia. WTF

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
RicoGrey said:
googleback said:
lithium.jelly said:
My country, Australia, is larger than all of Europe, yet only has roughly the same population as New York.
Its quite impressive Australia, it appears quite small on a world map but when you get there you can drive for days without meeting a soul. I forget just how big that place is.

Now my place! the UK; we are probably in the worst political state we've been in for a LONG time... I don't trust ANYBODY right now!
Could you elaborate on "the worst political state we've been in for a LONG time", I am not questioning if thats true, I would just like to hear about it from an actual brit.
well, we have a coalition government who cant get along with one another, half of them want to shift all the hard work onto the public (fewer public servants in a desperate attempt to save money without having to pay out of their own pockets.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6OYBW4877w

This sort of thing, the other half want to keep things the way they are and because the two cant get along we dont get a straight answer. there's a certain lack of communication and now University fees are set to triple this year and half of the population have no idea why.

we're getting less and paying more. which is why in my opinion we are in the worst state we've been in for a long time. I'm sure some would disagree though.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
loukasmaki said:
Sweden invented the mail bomb.

In the early 20th century a failed inventor thought it was fun to put explosives in packages and mail it to people he didn't like while trying to make it look like some left wing radical group was responsible.

Doesn't that make one feel all fuzzy wuzzy inside?
Didn't a Swede also invent dynamite?

Ilke

Mar 28, 2010
- Each episode of a Turkish television series lasts between 100-120 minutes.
- Despite an over 90% Muslim majority, the national drink happens to be the rakı (an anise-flavored spirit).
- We like to complain about TV shows who supposedly "denigrate our ancestors and their values" despite them doing the exact contrary.
- When everybody agrees with each other, it's called democracy.
- We are now digging another strait.
- If we don't make it to the Eurovision finals, no worries, there's still Azerbaijan.
- We "didn't lose World War I, it's just that when the Germans lost, we were also considered to be defeated." :p
- Ottoman sultans "were neeeever interested in women", and harems were "educational centers".

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
[HEADING=2]Factual video about Norway:[/HEADING]​
<youtube=ebqdwQzmSHM>
I do not speak like that, I speak with a British accent for some strange reason. I despise Norwenglish to be honest.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
We've been without a government for about a year and it doesn't look like we will have one anytime soon. Let the guessing commence =P

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Scotland and I'm going to point out something important in case any of you decide to visit: We do NOT all wear Kilts!

That is all.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
I'm from the UK so I'll narrow it down to Scotland.

Gaelic wasn't the main language of Scotland before the English language took over, as it was only spoken in the highlands.

Scots was the main language, Scots was also a language that was originally from a Germanic tribe and doesn't sound like a drunk toothless man like Gaelic does. That said it wont stop the SNP party trying to convince us otherwise...

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/because-every-country-is-the-%20%20best-at-something/#

Because every nation is special at something even if its just how many cameras are watching you at anyone moment.....

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I'm an american and I think one of the most interesting things about our country is that our Navy is larger (in tonnage, not necessarily manpower) than the combined Navies of the next 17 nations of consequence.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
we're causing the recession

huehuehuehue

bibblles said:
I'm an american and I think one of the most interesting things about our country is that our Navy is larger (in tonnage, not necessarily manpower) than the combined Navies of the next 17 nations of consequence.
Are you calling the marines fat?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
we like potatoes(take a guess) but potatoes originally come from South America and can grow in very poor conditions which is why We had a population explosion in the 18th and early 19th centuries

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The most interesting fact about my country is that there are no interesting facts about my country.

Maybe we're the most pushed around country ever. Maybe we have he highest corruption rate this side of the Milky Way. I'm not sure.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Whateveralot said:
We are the only country to ever beat England at a (naval) war.

- The Netherlands
*hrk* Gone are the days when the Dutch had a powerful navy... pretty impressive for such a dinky country (and one that wasn't even technically a country at the time, just a collection of trading guilds/cities).

Uh, I'll go for: the part of my home country/city that everyone thinks goes by that name is actually called 'Nine Dragons'.

EDIT:

syrus27 said:
Tallim said:
Whateveralot said:
We are the only country to ever beat England at a (naval) war.

- The Netherlands
Was that the Battle of Dungeness?
Nah, it was up the Medway wasn't it? At Chatham or Rochester?
You are indeed correct, Raid on the Medway that effectively decided the Second Anglo-Dutch War (in favour of the Dutch, naturally). Debatably, they got the better of the First Engelse Zee-Oorlorgen as well.

I am 2 cool 4 anime

Mar 31, 2011
Beograd (Belgrade) is one of the oldest cities in Europe, first settled in the 3rd century BC by the Celts, before becoming the Roman settlement of Singidunum

Belgrade won the title of ?City of the Future? for Southern Europe, in a contest sponsored by The Economist/FDI Magazine.

Serbia is the largest raspberry exporter, accounting for one third of all the raspberries in the world. Close to 95 percent of the world?s top quality raspberries come from Serbia

The Roman Emperor, Constantine the Great, was born in Nis, Serbia, in 274 AD.
The Miroslav Gospel, written in the twelfth century, is the oldest preserved Serbian manuscript.

The Cathedral of Saint Sava or Hram svetog Save in Belgrade is the largest Orthodox Church currently in use.

Prince Michael Street is the main walking street in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is a pedestrian zone and shopping center, protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable landmarks of the city. It has a large number of impressive buildings and mansions, built at the end of 1870s. Thats enough!

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
HerbertTheHamster said:
we're causing the recession

huehuehuehue

bibblles said:
Are you calling the marines fat?
The Marines are a separate branch as of 1834, though they have like a hundred landing ships those vessels don't figure into the Navy's vessel tonnage.

Also, since it's your fault for all this economic ruin, can you fix Detroit? Seriously, because it's starting to look like its been shelled out, and nobody in our country seems to want to go there anymore.