An Introduction To Dubstep.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Escapist. Being a musical man, I have decided that it is high time I took a foray into the world of a (relatively) new music craze sweeping the nation (and potentially other nations) - Dubstep.

So far, I have found little that I really (links at the bottom), and all that has only been remixes of stuff I already liked. I guess I just don't get it so far, although I am open to persuading. I have also done a (I am told (apologies for the large amount of parentheses)) very 'dubstep-esque' remix of a Nocturne by Chopin, and plan to do an epic Dubstep remix of a march by Tchaikovsky (again, links at the bottom). Of course before I can do this I also need to know more of the tropes, as it were, of Dubstep - common themes, motifs, and techniques often used in successful Dubstep (if anyone wishes to get technical, the program I will be using is Logic Pro 9 on a Mac).

Getting to the point, I hope this can be a 'Gateway to Dubstep' thread, where people can post links of stuff they like, give their insights on, and explain why they love/like/dislike/loathe the Genre.

Promised Links

By the way, apologies if the title mislead you to believe that I was posting an introduction - I couldn't think of a better way to phrase a plea.

Thanks in advance! Biz.

Edit: SPOILER TAGS, Y U NO WORK??

Edit 2: Never mind, fixed.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Meh. Some guy was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool" so everyone else was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool". It's just a meme, don't even worry about it. In a couple months, the only people who will remember it are the people who think "the cake is a lie" is funny.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Phlakes said:
Meh. Some guy was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool" so everyone else was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool". It's just a meme, don't even worry about it. In a couple months, the only people who will remember it are the people who think "the cake is a lie" is funny.
Well, you certainly don't understand it at all. That's ok though, it's not for everyone.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
This is about the extend of my knowledge of dubstep, but I heard it on the radio and it was awesome. Also, everyone here seems to like Skrillex, so I thought I'd share.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Phlakes said:
Not quite the response I was going for, but hey. I know quite a lot of non 'internet-savvy' people who're really into it and figured it'd be worth a look at least (to break the cycle of Hip-Hop/Classical I've got going, at least).

Ti said:
My Most Listened To:
And I Think This Counts (btw Sonny Moore is Skrillex):
I'll give this stuff a listen!

AbstractJuggler

May 27, 2009
I'll post a few links here, simply to not take up the page with embedded players players here. It was always going to be players.

Some of my favourites carefully selected for beginner's ears. Some of them are what I try and show my friends if they're interested. I suppose it's quite hard to recommend dubstep though, as there are plenty of different types of it, and usually you'll find yourself quite into one and not as interested in the rest. However, whether you like these or not, I'd suggest looking through some the other stuff on the UKF channel, because there is bound to be at least something on there that suits your fancy.

EDIT: Fixed the youtube bits.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Amphoteric said:
It all sounds the same to me. I find it incredibly boring to listen to.
I am of this opinion. It really does just seem like a craze that's gotten out of hand. About a year ago someone I played games with told me of Dubstep, and I thought he was cool and original.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, this year, everyone and their dog is listening to it. Really doesn't appeal to me, and seems like nothing more than a fad.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
AbstractJuggler said:
I'll post a few links here, simply to not take up the page with embedded players.
Feed Me - Strange Behaviour (ft. Tasha Baxter) [youtube.com/watch?v=auFtHzMJ7NI]
J Majik & Wickaman - In Pieces (ft. Dee Freer) (Xilent Remix) [youtube.com/watch?v=nqBy3J7z78A]
Maverick Sabre - Let Me Go (Roksonix Remix) [youtube.com/watch?v=-nFlK1sVuNo]
Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop [youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9rewnLFYw]
DJ Fresh - Gold Dust (Flux Pavilion Remix) [youtube.com/watch?v=PEbJ4qLiMu0]
Some of my favourites carefully selected for beginner's ears. Some of them are what I try and show my friends if they're interested. I suppose it's quite hard to recommend dubstep though, as there are plenty of different types of it, and usually you'll find yourself quite into one and not as interested in the rest. However, whether you like these or not, I'd suggest looking through some the other stuff on the UKF channel, because there is bound to be at least something on there that suits your fancy.
Uhh your URLs lead to 404 errors? Not to sound rude or anything (if I do)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
Phlakes said:
Well, you certainly don't understand it at all. That's ok though, it's not for everyone.
...I won't even bother.

OT: Now that I think about it, I've never come across a remix of Metroid music. Hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I have yet to hear any dubstep that is more than mindless base.

Amphoteric said:
It all sounds the same to me. I find it incredibly boring to listen to.
This. My friend was trying to get me to listen to it and it sounded like he kept linking me the same song over and over. Same deal with abstractjuggler's links.

ellistoner

Jun 2, 2010
Im just going to say that I hate it, and leave it at that.

unless its Ed Solo's Skool of Thought. And i can only really listen to 2 of his songs.

TheSolemnHypnotic

Dec 12, 2010
Luke5515 said:
This is about the extend of my knowledge of dubstep, but I heard it on the radio and it was awesome. Also, everyone here seems to like Skrillex, so I thought I'd share.
I love this track. And so does my mom. XD

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
For a good artist that uses some dubstep elements, namely the modulated bass...try Trifonic. Wouldn't call them dubstep though, as their stuff tends to be way way way more complex than any of the solely dubstep artists I've heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4R1nl_UbSk&feature=player_detailpage