an old class mate of mine died :,(

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Congratulations. This was the most inappropriate, childish, disregard for basic human courtesy of a grieving person's death I've seen in a while. You could seriously give those Westboro Baptist Church guys a run for their money.

Honestly, did no filter or lights go off in your head? Maybe a voice saying "this probably isn't a very smart thing to say.
You could get all tear-y eyed and say 'That's so bad! I feel so bad for you OP and it's a shame that somebody died so young!'. But that changes nothing. Take this as a lesson and move on.
Someone's friend just died and you are lecturing him in 'drinking and driving is bad'.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want you at anyones funeral service.

On a more sympathetic note...

*Hugs Evil Smurf*

Chris Sutherland

Apr 3, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
They both were drunk? Zeeeeero sympathy. They don't drill 'Drinking and driving is bad' into you because driving is more awesome while drunk.
Bam.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; no sympathy for drunk drivers. Sympathy for whoever else was involved in the crash, if they collided with anyone else, provided they weren't drunk.

Not entirely sure why anyone would take this kind of news to the escapist, anyway. /b/ would probably make more sense.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Congratulations. This was the most inappropriate, childish, disregard for basic human courtesy of a grieving person's death I've seen in a while. You could seriously give those Westboro Baptist Church guys a run for their money.

Honestly, did no filter or lights go off in your head? Maybe a voice saying "this probably isn't a very smart thing to say.
You could get all tear-y eyed and say 'That's so bad! I feel so bad for you OP and it's a shame that somebody died so young!'. But that changes nothing. Take this as a lesson and move on.
Or? We could take you're approach and think "Hmm, what's the most brash thing I can say to someone about someone who just died... OH I KNOW! I'll call the dead people idiots!"

But sure, being sympathetic changes nothing. You're really smart.
Then tell me, O Great One. What does being sympathetic change? Because I'm under the impression that 33,808 people died from drunk driving in 2009, and apparently it's still happening.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Or? We could take you're approach and think "Hmm, what's the most brash thing I can say to someone about someone who just died... OH I KNOW! I'll call the dead people idiots!"

But sure, being sympathetic changes nothing. You're really smart.
Then tell me, O Great One. What does being sympathetic change? Because I'm under the impression that 33,808 people died from drunk driving in 2009, and apparently it's still happening.
Well for one, it would make you a decent person for not laying more grief on the people who suffered a loss.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'm sorry to hear that.

Whatever their condition at the time of the incident, you have my sincerest condolences and sympathies. Hang in there, friend.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
First of all my condolences.

It happend to me too last year, he was a pretty relaxed guy with a pretty weird sense of humor. Reminded me a tad of myself, but then he jumped for a train. No one knew why he did it and was the sad part. Suicide is never the answer if you are feeling down you can always talk things out with family or close friends.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Apparently it helps this guy feel better. But that's besides the point. I just really find it amusing how instead of... I don't know... simply not commenting, you felt the need to tell the kid who just lost a friend that you have no sympathy for him.

What does insulting dead people do? Because I was under the impression that it pisses people off.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Sympathy may not bring back the dead, but it does help the grieving loved ones. I don't care how you spin it, what you said was plain insensitive. When your friends or family die, you'll get no sympathy from me.

OT: I'm sorry for your loss. When we drink, we don't make the best judgements, and so we sometimes drive while drunk.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
first off: my conodlences im sorry for your loss...you can have a nice hug from me and i hope you get through it ok..

second off: i do not feel bad for the driver...and honestly neither for your friend..they drank...they got in a car...they endangered not only themselves but others... i feel no sorrow for those people

third off: do not take this as me not caring..i do...im sorry for YOUR loss...im sorry he is gone but only because it affected others that did not deserve this to happen to them..

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Kopikatsu said:
Apparently it helps this guy feel better. But that's besides the point. I just really find it amusing how instead of... I don't know... simply not commenting, you felt the need to tell the kid who just lost a friend that you have no sympathy for him.

What does insulting dead people do? Because I was under the impression that it pisses people off.
Nothing, because the dead person doesn't care. If you believe in any kind of afterlife that doesn't involve a firey pit, then what does death matter? You probably believe that person is in a better place now anyway.

dvd_72 said:
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Sympathy may not bring back the dead, but it does help the grieving loved ones. I don't care how you spin it, what you said was plain insensitive. When your friends or family die, you'll get no sympathy from me.
Nor would I expect it. Most of my family is either dead or in jail, but I don't mourn them. Shit happens and death is a part of life. Why get upset over the inevitable?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Kopikatsu said:

Nothing, because the dead person doesn't care. If you believe in any kind of afterlife that doesn't involve a firey pit, then what does death matter? You probably believe that person is in a better place now anyway.
I... I can't... no, I'm not even going to- no.

(Deep Breath)

It simply amazes me how there are people out there who can't grasp the simplest concept of dealing with death. To me, it's along the same veins as someone who can't solve a math problem like 2+2.

Congratulations, you managed to overcome the strides of grief with deaths in your family. Not everybody else has. I can't explain a concept as simple and mundane as this any easier, and I'm about to start calling you very bad names. So for my sake, Have a nice day. Maybe take a Sociology class or something.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
-hugz-
Never understood why people drink and drive. Its just a bad idea even if you are a semi-decent buzzed driver. The fact remains if you get into an accident you will get in a whole mess of trouble because your drunk.

To speed while driving is beyond insane, your reaction time slows down so lets speed up.

In the end I guess the only way some people learn is by their mistakes. Unfortunately, there are some mistakes that can kill you.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
dvd_72 said:
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Nor would I expect it. Most of my family is either dead or in jail, but I don't mourn them. Shit happens and death is a part of life. Why get upset over the inevitable?
Why get upset over death? Because it breaks the bonds we make with others. I would be sorry to hear you have nobody you care about, but you're a heartless person anyway and deserve no sympathy.

How about, instead of making a vulnerable person feel worse, you try to exercise some emotion other than contempt and not make him feel worse about himself? or is common curtsey something else you lack along with the capability to feel emotions?

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I'd rather the ones who were driving the car died. It's bad enough to man a vehicle while under influence, it's even worse when other people suffer for it.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
Its never easy losing a friend like that. this happened to me a while ago, you say to them 'see you next week' only to realise a week later that its at the open casket. Your not human if you can just shrug that kind of shit off.

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
Twin sister died of Leukemia when I was eleven. All got nothing on me.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
dvd_72 said:
Kopikatsu said:
dvd_72 said:
Kopikatsu said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Why get upset over death? Because it breaks the bonds we make with others. I would be sorry to hear you have nobody you care about, but you're a heartless person anyway and deserve no sympathy.

How about, instead of making a vulnerable person feel worse, you try to exercise some emotion other than contempt and not make him feel worse about himself? or is common curtsey something else you lack along with the capability to feel emotions?
Why would he feel worse about himself? He's not the dead one.

Anyway, I would point back to the 33,808 statistic. OP's friend is one person. Less than a thousandth of a percent of the number of deaths in a previous year. I'm sure that many people said 'My thoughts go out to the family' and other such BS in every case, and look at what that's solved. If you condemn the dead for their idiocy, then perhaps less people would be willing to follow in their footsteps.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
It's always worse when things like this happen so suddenly. All the deaths I've dealt with were predictable far in advance and when they finally died, it was more of a relief that they were no longer suffering (Cancer, etc. ), so I can't imagine how startling this must be. Good luck in grieving and such...

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
My condolences, it doesn't matter how it happens, this kind of thing is difficult to get your head 'round, especially at such a young age.
I lost a friend three years ago who I'd known since I was five. Oddly enough, drink was involved as well. It messed with my head a bit to say the least.
Stay strong.