Analyst Calls PSP Go a "Ripoff"

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
mikecoulter said:
Sony has to try and make money somehow. It's called business.
And there is a difference between good business and bad business, and this, according to popular belief, is bad business.
Good or Bad, this is Business as Usual: companies sell products at the price they think will make them the most money. They don't sell products at the price related to the cost of making the product, they sell it at the highest price market demand allows them to.

I mean, what's next: Patcher Finds Apple Computers Are Really Expensive Just Because People Will Pay More For Apple Products?
Oh no doubt that's the makings of a good business in a way. But honestly we shouldn't have people rushing to defend this when, while it is indeed business as usual (if Sony were catering to the every whims of the consumers, I would be somewhat confused), it's still business that is ripping off the consumer.

Business is business, bust lets call a circle a circle, and see that from the consumers point of view that it's a rip-off, especially considering you can get a PSP 3000 for much cheaper and practically the same features, despite it being larger in size than the Go! and lacking a sleeker design. I would have nothing to complain about if this had a wealth of features.

They definitely have to claw at any chance to make money seeing as the PS3 is making losses on each console though, so I'm not surprised in a way, I see this more as a means to avoid piracy than anything else. However anyone who is tech savvy and big on piracy probably won't buy this anyway.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Crash486 said:
yankeefan19 said:
So... That thing costs about as much as a less ripoffy wii
As does an MP3 player, or an ipod, iphone, or just about any high tech handheld device. And it has far better games to boot.
I wouldn't quite say it has better games, but that's just my opinion. Please don't start a flaming.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
yankeefan19 said:
Crash486 said:
yankeefan19 said:
As does an MP3 player, or an ipod, iphone, or just about any high tech handheld device. And it has far better games to boot.
I wouldn't quite say it has better games, but that's just my opinion. Please don't start a flaming.
seconded the psp games are really not my taste i dont get this hand held if feels like its lacking something from the start
Obviously this video has no relevance to the topic:

[/quote]
this first thing to make laugh today thank you

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
daviejjd said:
I think more important news will be when Sony DOESN'T rip someone off!
But the whole games industry is built around ripping other companies off

Yeah, I can see his point, but I'll have the money for it by then, and I'd rather pay £180 for a console that has my sort of games than £100-and-something that doesn't (yes you, DSi)
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Obviously this video has no relevance to the topic: *SNIP*
Ahh yes, I loved that video when I first saw it, still do.

Cerity

Jun 7, 2009
How else is PS going to recover all the money they lost in the console war? They lost and continue to lose big time to the Wii and xbox live.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I have to say, I'm very happy with my psp and my wife & I have gotten a lot of use out of it.

However I will not be getting a psp go for that very reason: it is a total ripoff. When I first heard the details, I thought it would be cheaper too but $250 is ridiculously expensive. Really for that price it should come with a free game, a free movie, and a plug in UMD drive that will let you rip your existing movies and games.

C'mon sony, the ps3 is expensive but it's at least worth it.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
yankeefan19 said:
Crash486 said:
yankeefan19 said:
Don't start a flame war? This whole thread is incendiary speculation. No one even knows what the production cost of the Go is, but they're happy to jump on the "sony is ripping you off" bandwagon. Why is it when someone defends sony its a flame war, but when you knock on them its perfectly ok?

You think Sony is the first company to ever release a new product and hike up the price on it? Didn't nintendo just do this with the DSi? How about microsoft releasing special edition xboxes with slightly larger hard drives and charging 100$ more for them? That's not a ripoff? Hard drives are dirt cheap. If you're so concerned about flame wars perhaps you should talk to the journalists here posting such incendiary non-news threads?

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
daviejjd said:
seconded

Also, no freaking second analog stick, then I ain't buying

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Gerazzi said:
daviejjd said:
seconded

Thats because it's a REDESIGN, NOT A NEW SYSTEM. Jesus how hard is it for people to figure that out.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Crash486 said:
yankeefan19 said:
Crash486 said:
yankeefan19 said:
Don't start a flame war? This whole thread is incendiary speculation. No one even knows what the production cost of the Go is, but they're happy to jump on the "sony is ripping you off" bandwagon. Why is it when someone defends sony its a flame war, but when you knock on them its perfectly ok?

You think Sony is the first company to ever release a new product and hike up the price on it? Didn't nintendo just do this with the DSi? How about microsoft releasing special edition xboxes with slightly larger hard drives and charging 100$ more for them? That's not a ripoff? Hard drives are dirt cheap. If you're so concerned about flame wars perhaps you should talk to the journalists here posting such incendiary non-news threads?
...touché...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Business is business, bust lets call a circle a circle, and see that from the consumers point of view that it's a rip-off, especially considering you can get a PSP 3000 for much cheaper and practically the same features, despite it being larger in size than the Go! and lacking a sleeker design. I would have nothing to complain about if this had a wealth of features.
Okay, but don't single out Sony like they're the first ones to do this. The same people who make those great Mac vs. PC ads have built their whole business around doing this, so, make sure Apple gets as much condemnation as Sony.
I have a large list friend, a very large one. But bear in mind it's just a list of hollow complaints in the end, but it's there.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Oh boy! Another "let's complain about Sony" thread. Let me chuck my brain out the window and join you guys!

But seriously, if you don't like the new PSP Go, don't buy it. How about that? I hate the DSi, since it's an even worse pile of crap than the PSP Go, and thus I'm not buying it.

How's that for a compromise?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'm not going to buy it. It doesn't have a second stick. Forgive me, but that's just what I want. Gratned, it is very shiny... and can be hacked for awesome random things... but I just want that second stick.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Jumplion said:
tendo82 said:
He might be right. I mean the PSP was $250 when it came out, back when it was state of the art. But to pay $250 now for a system that may or may not play my old PSP games and doesn't have a second analogue stick? It kind of seems like a raw deal.

I currently have six psp games on umd. What will become of them Sony? What about the children!?
Well if you already have a UMD PSP then why would there be a need to buy the Go? I know that when the Go is released or at around that time all PSP games from then on will be sold both in physical UMD and via digital distribution. I still don't know about previous UMD games to Digital, but couldn't you use a memory stick or something to port the save files there?
Because they are going to eventually stop making UMD games, probably not too long after the Go comes out or are going to implement some feature in the Go that is required by all the new games.

Slacker2000

May 15, 2008
This isn't new... Sony rips everyone off... You can only make something so good until nobody can afford it. Shiny AND Black, oh Sony, what will you do next?...

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
VS apple? Oh right. Nintendo crushed them in the handheld wars and they come against the Ipod touch(Which I think is the most ridiculous thing to be release from apple since it doesn't promote the music/video which the Ipod was originally intended for but shitty games that drain the battery life of the product).
But yeah, Sony are con-artists. Why else would they sell a $600(now $400-$500) console and not include component cables for their High definition system that they bragged about? Plus. A majority of the PSP owners have it hacked already and a really stupid update (I heard from the Sony rep from my job) allows you to use your PS3 controller as the controller for your PSP? WTF!?
While the only good thing about the PSP Go is the internal memory, that should have been a feature already. While the $200 bundles are good, it's not enough. I've sold more DS and DSi to people then PSPs. We still have a ton of them left. And I'm pretty sure I won't be selling this model to anyone.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
asinann said:
Jumplion said:
tendo82 said:
He might be right. I mean the PSP was $250 when it came out, back when it was state of the art. But to pay $250 now for a system that may or may not play my old PSP games and doesn't have a second analogue stick? It kind of seems like a raw deal.

I currently have six psp games on umd. What will become of them Sony? What about the children!?
Well if you already have a UMD PSP then why would there be a need to buy the Go? I know that when the Go is released or at around that time all PSP games from then on will be sold both in physical UMD and via digital distribution. I still don't know about previous UMD games to Digital, but couldn't you use a memory stick or something to port the save files there?
Because they are going to eventually stop making UMD games, probably not too long after the Go comes out or are going to implement some feature in the Go that is required by all the new games.
That will only happen once the true second generation PSP comes around if it had no UMD, AKA the PSP2. As I've stated, once the PSP Go! is released nearly every game from then on (After October 1) is going to be released both physically and digitally.

Once a PSP2 comes along with no UMD (And a second analog stick for those whiners :p), then it would most likely phase out UMDs though I'd imagine there would be some sort of support for that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Darkrai said:
But yeah, Sony are con-artists. Why else would they sell a $600(now $400-$500) console and not include component cables for their High definition system that they bragged about?
I'd imagine that would increase the price a bit, or if it didn't they would sell more at a loss (marginally probably).

Plus. A majority of the PSP owners have it hacked already and a really stupid update (I heard from the Sony rep from my job) allows you to use your PS3 controller as the controller for your PSP? WTF!?
...What the hell? Isn't that what you guys were complaining about? Not being able to have a second analog stick? So it's an option that some games have, big deal, how the hell is it stupid? Because you'll never use it? It's meant for the whiners who complain about a second nub, not something to take seriously.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
-Seraph- said:
Gerazzi said:
daviejjd said:
seconded

Thats because it's a REDESIGN, NOT A NEW SYSTEM. Jesus how hard is it for people to figure that out.
I realize this.
You were misunderstanding my post.
I'm not buying it because it is lacking what the first one was lacking.
I don't care if it is a redesign, I'm still not buying it and nothing you will say can change my mind.