Analyst "Increasingly Concerned" About Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Analyst "Increasingly Concerned" About Medal of Honor

Electronic Arts is giving Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TI836G/ref=s9_k2ah_gw_d0_ir07?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0X9ZAD4MF0PH0GTBPNE6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846] a big push but at least one analyst thinks it's at serious risk of getting pounded into oblivion by two of the industry's true FPS heavyweights.

Remember the episode when Pinky Tuscadero ended up in the hospital after being hit with a Malachi Crunch while she was crawling across the hood of her stalled car? Yeah, maybe not. But Kaufman Bros. analyst Todd Mitchell says that's pretty much the situation that Medal of Honor could find itself in when it comes out next month: Alone, exposed and caught between two snarling behemoths.

The decision to include the Taliban in the new Medal of Honor has earned Call of Duty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103837-Medal-of-Honor-Studio-Was-Hurt-by-Controversy] off its perch."

Even more dangerous than a failure to bump off Call of Duty, which EA has already Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103726-EA-Medal-of-Honor-Will-Overtake-Call-of-Duty]. Mitchell described the October 12 release of Medal of Honor, a month after Reach and a month before Black Ops, as "ill-timed." "We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games," he said.

Medal of Honor is being developed by Danger Close [http://www.dangerclosegames.com/] for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
given the experience i had in the beta, yeah, i don't have high hopes for the MoH franchise either. and i'm not referring to things that can be polished through a beta, i'm referring to the actual game itself.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Well, no matter how good a game is, it's not a good idea to release a FPS between CoD and Halo.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Well going by most internals they only expect 3 million units anyway so they already expect not to hit the 12-15 million units Black ops might take

relish

Nov 27, 2009
its a month between halo reach and black ops and a week before fallout: new vegas

perpetual-mind

Apr 25, 2009
from the very first trailer all iv seen in this is a copy and paste of modern warfare.
I really dont see anything about the game that distinguishes it or makes it appealing in any way.
I wasnt a very big fan of modern warfare 2 (though i loved the first), and seeing modern warfare just trying its best to be a clone of it really sucks in my opinion.

also, anyone else find it ironic the developer is called "Danger Close".

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
This game will do well. I have faith in it; hell, that's why I pre-ordered it. It won't do as well as Black Ops (which I will also pre-order soon and will be one of the games for my 21st birthday) but it will do well. These guys need to have faith in a product that looks as good as this. Just have faith, don't get so down on this thing.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Well I had no idea what the Pinky reference was about and having found it on youtube I guess you need some context for the scene because it was pretty dull; I've never watched happy days.

Badly timed release? hardly surprising, just about everything is going to be released in the next couple of months maybe this is one of those games that should be held over until Feb?

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
I think that there are a lot of people like me who felt disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, and will be picking up Medal of Honor over Black Ops. Bad Company 2 got me on EA's bandwagon, so I'm hopeful that MoH can keep the trend going. I'm not going to buy Black Ops. I'll rent it first.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It can at least try, has had the whole controversay about taliban behind it so will see what happens

Schnippshly

Mar 6, 2009
Well no duh it's not going to be successful, their whole game plan was to copy Call of Duty's switch to "Modern Warfare". They even have a stupid Captain Price-looking character to try and appeal to the kind of people who think terrible characters like Captain Price are cool.

hapipdalia

Mar 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games," he said.
i'm planing on it anyways. i mean they are three "diffrent" games...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
well if they fail itll be their own damn fault, they used to hold the genre before people really played cod or halo.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Azdean Samih said:
Nope not only is it a stupid idea to release the game between two of the biggest fps release's of the year.

But even on its own merits the game is bound to fail, It's just a dumbed down expansion of BC2. The weapon models, animation's and engine are all the same. The only difference is new maps and a new single player as well as some new player models.

Anyone who doesn't buy Black ops over this is just silly in my opinion, I'm not a Call of Duty fan boy there are much better game's on sale or that are going to be released that are far better than black ops looks. But compared side by side with MOH Black Ops looks far more polished.

@Javex You can't exactly judge Black Ops on it's predecessor when the game is developed by a completely different development team. Infinity Ward had no part in Black Ops (and if you haven't been living under a rock you'd know there isn't really much of Infinity Ward left).
Quoted for some serious truths.

Honestly, releasing a game between:
1. Halo: Reach (which already has over 1000 YEARS of online play completed)
2. CoD: Black Ops (All the MW2 fanboys will freak and swarm all game shops for it)
3. Fallout: New Vegas (YAY, more post-nuclear apocalyptic action, now with more FISTO!)
is a BAD move.

Profits = very little.
I'd wait and release it next year, just to make sure they can try and keep up.
Also, I'd buy Black Ops before anything, but Reach is WAY too appealing.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah, can't say I'd be surprised if this were true. Did you guys see the trailer of the "sniper level" from which it looks like this article chose its picture? If you haven't, it's basically you sniping people really far away while some mentor or superior whispers in your ear and tells you what to do.. until the enemies find you and you have a bit more action.

It felt EXACTLY like COD4, but weaker since it wasn't new, fresh, or imaginative in any way. Besides, I always thought the beard guy looked strange.

What's that other one coming out that got delayed, the one that used the PS Move? That's the one I think has a better chance of being successful.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Man I didn't know it was already got a release date tied to it. I hate to say this, but it's going to drown in the popularity race. They could wait until after chirstmas so that all the kids that get cash spends it on the a warshooter game instead of striving for attention in were it is now

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Poor Medal of Honor. However, I will only truly feel sorry for it if it commercially fails and it turns out to be a great game.

I shall not weep for failed mediocrity.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games."

REALLY?! How about this for a rationale: They all look like they're going to be fun! Good grief, this is why analysts come across as idiots. I've never seen a statement that's so far removed from video game logic.