Analyst Predicts PlayStation 4 Will Outsell Xbox One

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
To bust out the cliche, in the end, it's all about the games. If Microsoft ends up having the must-have exclusives, they will win. If Sony does, the opposite will be true, regardless of how much either of them will bungle or have bungled their respective launches.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
This will most likely due to the PlayStation consoles usually having an audience that has tastes in both Japanese style of games as well as North American. The PS consoles usually have way more sleeper exclusive hits in North America due to the PS Brand being more open with localizing Japanese games in general.

The Japanese console market broke into America.
The American console market can't break into Japan.

If Nintendo localized more titles they'd sell more consoles.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Oh my god, why is this even a newsworthy story?! It takes no braincells to see that the PS4 will appeal to more people due to lower pricepoint and higher specs.

Disregarding fanboyism, disregarding exclusivity, there would be no reason at all to get an XBONE under such conditions. Having said that, I frankly don't care about either...as the only games I care about (thus far) will also come to PC (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, and the maybe ill-fated DA3).

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Seracen said:
Oh my god, why is this even a newsworthy story?! It takes no braincells to see that the PS4 will appeal to more people due to lower pricepoint and higher specs.

Disregarding fanboyism, disregarding exclusivity, there would be no reason at all to get an XBONE under such conditions. Having said that, I frankly don't care about either...as the only games I care about (thus far) will also come to PC (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, and the maybe ill-fated DA3).
Agreed. On a personal note, this gen will be dedicated to the PC for me. More exclusives, better specs, and more services.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Four years is an awfully long span over which to make sales predictions for products that aren't even on the market yet, but that's what IHS does and, believe it or not, there's more to this business than just guessing. Agree? Disagree? I'm staying well clear of the whole thing, but feel free to discuss!
Disagree. I'm pretty sure they're just guessing.

Financial analysts and technology pundits have a terrible track record. Remember when the iPhone came out, and the industry analysts said it would be a novelty niche item that would hardly sell any units, and Apple would have its lunch eaten by the likes of Nokia and BlackBerry? Yeah.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I have a hard time believing an analysis that says that the Xbox one will have better exclusives(traditionally the deciding factor in the console wars) while also predicting PS4 domination.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm going to make the prediction that Microsoft sells the Xbone, then the company that gets it ruins it even more, and by the next generation everyone has either moved to PC or gone with the PS4. It's not as safe a bet as this company's, but if I'm right I would gladly accept whatever these guys get for their salary.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MinionJoe said:
Well, it's not coming from anti-Microsoft analyst Rick Sherlund, so I'm inclined to believe them. Even though Sony and Microsoft have adopted the same anti-consumer policies, the PS4 is cheaper and will be introduced into more initial markets than the XB1.
And their library doesn't have near as many manly man games being advertised. Knack, FF, KH3. As compared to Ryse and Titanfall being the main ones for ONE. Though what's sad about Titanfall Microsoft lost them one more sale by putting it on the 360. Other then that game which seems to be trying to break the standard sci fi shooter mold I've no interest in the Xbone. Ryse looks like it wants to be God of War with a human too much and quite frankly if you insist on shoving ultra realism in my face you've instantly turned me off.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I'm going to make the prediction that Microsoft sells the Xbone, then the company that gets it ruins it even more, and by the next generation everyone has either moved to PC or gone with the PS4. It's not as safe a bet as this company's, but if I'm right I would gladly accept whatever these guys get for their salary.
So does no one seriously count Nintendo anymore? Even after they released two devices that devastated everything else last generation?

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
so the cheaper more powerful gaming console with a history of dominance in Europe and the east will do well in Europe and the east. where as the frat boys cod and nfl machine will sell well in america, like the last iteration... shocker.

these guys get paid for coming out with this?

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
KazeAizen said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
So does no one seriously count Nintendo anymore? Even after they released two devices that devastated everything else last generation?
When did that happen? A lot of Wiis were sold, but not many people bought games for them. Not really a great success. And the Wii U looks to be a total disaster.

As for the DS, nobody else was really seriously competing in the handheld space. Sony tried, but the failure is almost 100% on Sony screwing up the execution of its handheld platform. But yeah, I reckon Nintendo is pretty much done for in the console space - it will retain a foothold in handhelds for the near future, though.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
And in other obvious news...

It's going to be hard for MS to recover from such a massive PR backlash. Coupled with a higher price point and fewer markets it would take literally the best games ever made for it to outsell the PS4.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
KazeAizen said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
When did that happen? A lot of Wiis were sold, but not many people bought games for them. Not really a great success. And the Wii U looks to be a total disaster.

As for the DS, nobody else was really seriously competing in the handheld space. Sony tried, but the failure is almost 100% on Sony screwing up the execution of its handheld platform. But yeah, I reckon Nintendo is pretty much done for in the console space - it will retain a foothold in handhelds for the near future, though.
Not really a great success? If you are going on the sales numbers of the Wii it was an out of the park home run. Nintendo made bank off of it. The Wii U is having a slow start but hey another platform they released had a slow start too and that one turned into a juggernaut.

Yes I'm talking about the 3DS. Not the original DS. Nintendo isn't as done as people say they are in the console space.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
II have to agree with this unless Titanfall becomes as big as Halo 2, which it won't unless it takes actual skill to do well at, unlike CoD or the last 2 Halo games.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
gigastar said:
Do people actually get paid for making theese predictions?

Because i could have guessed that much for free.
unfortunately, yes.

the thing is, those that will buy an xbox will buy an xbox and those who want to buy a playstation are going to do that, there's little choice for groups of friends on one service, so some people are basically locked in via peer pressure.

you can be assured both consoles will sell in large quantities, but I see the 'smart' money going for a small victory in sony's quarter, since it's cheaper and provides the features core gamers want without any crap that said, futurists will no doubt get the xbox for the more advanced voice and camera controlled aspects, despite it being a clear gimmick and sometimes counter productive, such as tv shows turning themselves off.

that's how i see it, anyway.
i won't be getting either, but i did look them over to see if they were worth it. ( they aren't )

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
KazeAizen said:
Not really a great success? If you are going on the sales numbers of the Wii it was an out of the park home run. Nintendo made bank off of it. The Wii U is having a slow start but hey another platform they released had a slow start too and that one turned into a juggernaut.
Forbes estimated that Nintendo only made $6 on every Wii sold. For the last two years, Nintendo has made losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars per year. Not exactly making bank. And despite strong initial sales, sales of the Wii dropped off rapidly in later years, while the Xbox and PS3 continued to sell consistently.

Yes I'm talking about the 3DS. Not the original DS. Nintendo isn't as done as people say they are in the console space.
I was referring to "DS" as including the entire DS family, including the 3DS. That's exactly what Nintendo calls it on their web pages - "The DS Family."

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I wish analysts would just watch and not try to come off as all-knowing. It's like watching a person with really bad cold-reading skills at a fair.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
spartan231490 said:
I have a hard time believing an analysis that says that the Xbox one will have better exclusives(traditionally the deciding factor in the console wars) while also predicting PS4 domination.
I don't get where he says the xbox one's exclusives are 'better', Ryse is just a QTE playfest and frankly hasn't screamed buy me, Titanfall is on PC and even if it wasn't it's just another gray shooter while on PS4 you've got Killzone for the shooter and Knack, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy etc to add diversity and thus appeal to more players (and more tastes of players, as any gamer doesn't just play 1 genre/game). Not to mention it's got exclusives with Destiny (I'm not sure what exactly part is exclusive as it's on both systems so don't ask lol), which all the Halo Fans will probably follow without hesitation.

I do agree the PS4 will come out ahead by far, it's sold out everywhere I look while the xbox one is still very much available. The PS4 is cheaper, offers more variety of games (as above), offers a better system (hardware) and other than brand loyalty I literally can not see anything that Xbox One offers to beat that, even without the controversy. Add that into the mix and Microsoft is in trouble...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xman490 said:
(My thought pattern is indicated by added numbered asterisks.)
Andy Chalk said:
Analyst firm IHS predicts that the PlayStation 4 will outsell the Xbox One *1 over the next four years *2 by a margin of more than ten million units. *3
*1: Duh.
*2: Well, let's not make wild assumptions.
*3: And "we" didn't. Isn't 10 million (or 5 million) the margin of PS3 sales over Xbox 360 sales?

The more perplexing question is whether or not the Wii U will score about twice the sales of the lower-selling advanced console - like last time - or even come out on top this time around. But hey, these things are usually profitable anyways.
But the tables are turned this time around. Xbox 360 was released about a year before the PS3 and it cost less. PS3 still beat Xbox 360 in Europe and Japan while USA is Xbox heavy. Now the PS4 is cheaper and it gets released earlier than the Xbox One in most of Europe. Ignoring the ire (which isn't as many as we seem to think) Xbox One is at a disadvantage which will give PS4 a head start.

It's going to be interesting to see how accurate these predictions are nevertheless.