Analyst Predicts PlayStation 4 Will Outsell Xbox One

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
One doesn't have to be an analyst, or expert to understand that the PS4 is a better market proposition than the Xbox One, and naturally the console of Sony will sell better.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Please tell me that this analysts name is Captain Obviuos.
PS4 preorders are outselling microsoft by 2:1 in USA - microsofts own turf. What do you think its going to do in europe, or those countries Xbox isnt coming out at all, or how about its home market - japan, that was always playstation centric? Even microsoft themselves now see its not going to outsell Sony. If this was predicted 6 months ago, fair game, now? thats like saying sky is blue.

Full Metal Bolshevik said:
I'd like if they had taken the Wii U into account for 2017 predictions. I bet it will outsell the PS4 in Japan.
you know id say that we wont even see WiiU in the picture by 2017 but i already did that mistake with Wii. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Twenty Ninjas said:
I trust my coin more than I trust analysts.
Which is a shame really, because most analysts are actually hard working people who do correct predictions. the thing is, they get paid for it, and they wont jsut post it online for free. Those that post know they arent worth the money - their bad at their job to begin with, hence we get negative reinforcement, when in reality most analyst are actually good at what they do. if they didnt - they would be bankrupt now.

SargeSmash said:
To bust out the cliche, in the end, it's all about the games. If Microsoft ends up having the must-have exclusives, they will win. If Sony does, the opposite will be true, regardless of how much either of them will bungle or have bungled their respective launches.
there are no must have exclusives. only "im willing to drop 560 dollars for this game" exclusives.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I know it's probably already been said, but after reading the word 'analyst' in the title, i would like to know how much this person gets paid to state the fcking obvious. I would love to want to get an Xone, but microsoft are really not making it easy for me and will probably end up going PS4 for various reasons. Price alone already guarantees sony a lead, ignoring all the other...erm...complications

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
RicoADF said:
spartan231490 said:
I have a hard time believing an analysis that says that the Xbox one will have better exclusives(traditionally the deciding factor in the console wars) while also predicting PS4 domination.
I don't get where he says the xbox one's exclusives are 'better', Ryse is just a QTE playfest and frankly hasn't screamed buy me, Titanfall is on PC and even if it wasn't it's just another gray shooter while on PS4 you've got Killzone for the shooter and Knack, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy etc to add diversity and thus appeal to more players (and more tastes of players, as any gamer doesn't just play 1 genre/game). Not to mention it's got exclusives with Destiny (I'm not sure what exactly part is exclusive as it's on both systems so don't ask lol), which all the Halo Fans will probably follow without hesitation.

I do agree the PS4 will come out ahead by far, it's sold out everywhere I look while the xbox one is still very much available. The PS4 is cheaper, offers more variety of games (as above), offers a better system (hardware) and other than brand loyalty I literally can not see anything that Xbox One offers to beat that, even without the controversy. Add that into the mix and Microsoft is in trouble...
I don't really disagree with the assertion that PS4 will sell better, especially at launch, I was just pointing out that the analyst seems to be a little untrustworthy.
I think the PS4 is going to sell much better at launch, the Xbox one has gotten a lot of bad press. That said, I think who wins long term is going to come down to exclusives. Also, let's be honest, the only ones who are going to lose this console war are the consumers. Microsoft and Sony both are gonna make out like bandits.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MinionJoe said:
KazeAizen said:
So does no one seriously count Nintendo anymore? Even after they released two devices that devastated everything else last generation?
Nintendo - Total Assets as of March 31, 2013 - $14,478,780,000
Sony - Total Assets as of March 31, 2013 - $36,465,330,000
Microsoft - Total Assets as of June 30, 2013 - $142,431,000,000

Nintendo is less than half the size of Sony and a tenth the size of Microsoft. They also do not have the diversified portfolio of the other two companies. Sony and Microsoft can have a failed console and cover their losses with their other divisions. Nintendo does not have that luxury.

So while, yes, the sell of Nintendo consoles and carts is a significant factor in the gaming industry, it's not that much of a factor in the financial industry.
Ok I know I started it but this is just bullshit. When did we actually get the point of throwing sales numbers around? It takes the fun out of games. We aren't on the board of directors. We shouldn't give a crap about these numbers.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
DonTsetsi said:
It's cheaper, more powerful and available in more countries. Of course it will outsell the XBone!
This.

Combined with the positive PR coming out of E3 it really doesn't take an analyst to figure this out. The only tough part is the actual figure. 10 million units difference?

I have no incite on this since I don't know how well consoles sell in the markets that PS4 will operate in and Xbone won't...but if I just went off of instinct I'd assume this figure seems low.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MinionJoe said:
KazeAizen said:
Ok I know I started it but this is just bullshit. When did we actually get the point of throwing sales numbers around? It takes the fun out of games. We aren't on the board of directors. We shouldn't give a crap about these numbers.
Sure, we don't. But you wanted to know why fiscal analysts weren't including Nintendo in their comparison.

Because of Nintendo's size and specialization, they're not as good an investment as Sony or Microsoft. As such, the comparison of the XB1 and PS4 projected sales figures are far more important to investors. I.e., people who listen to fiscal analysts.
Yeah. Nintendo doesn't seem to actively try and expand and absorb like those two. Hell between the 80s and 90s generations they're the only company that can sustain itself on those people alone. I'm tired of these things showing up though. It just pisses me off. Its like "Hi. We are posting this even though 99% of you will not be affected by this knowledge whatsoever." I don't want to hear about sales forecasts when it is not my business and I"m pretty sure most people that use this site will only use this exclusively in dick measuring contests. Post stories about company crashes/new studio expansions and then you have my interest. Post stuff like this and I get pissed off.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MinionJoe said:
KazeAizen said:
Post stuff like this and I get pissed off.
Neither the Escapist nor myself are responsible for your chosen reaction to an article that you needn't have read.

I'd recommend avoiding any news article with "analyst" in the title then. Escapist writers seem to be pretty good about distinguishing between financial and tech news in their article titles.
Let's just say curiosity killed the cat then. I just wish these articles exist in places like this. Like at all.

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
Strazdas said:
there are no must have exclusives. only "im willing to drop 560 dollars for this game" exclusives.
Yet. I'm certainly not arguing that either are there right now. Indeed, as far as exclusives go right now, I find the Wii U more compelling than either. But it's almost certain that there will be some Sony- or Microsoft-exclusive games that will drive sales of consoles in the future.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Saltyk said:
The last time I checked, PS3 and 360 were neck and neck globally. With the PS3 having just a few hundred thousand more (these numbers were in terms of millions) than the 360. It basically came down to the fact that the 360 had sold nearly twice as many in the US, but the PS3 sold nearly twice as well everywhere else. Last time I saw preorder numbers for the US, the PS4 had a good lead of about 200,000 units.

So, unless something has drastically changed, I see the PS4 and Xbox One selling roughly equally as well, or the PS4 having a slight lead, in the US. As for the rest of the world, I don't think Xbox One has a chance.

Honestly, having seen the numbers, I see why Microsoft only seemed to care about the US. Only the US really cared about the 360.
Let's not forget that the 360 has also been around for 1 more year than the ps3. So the units of ps3 in per year sales should be more highly weighted. I'd say without the terrible pricing and development hurdles that plagued the ps3 Sony should see another ps2-level generation.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
in other news hell is still hot, the sky's and the oceans are blue, grass is green, gamers don't forgive stupidity and captain Obvious just landed a sweet gig at the information handling services(IHS)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
Saltyk said:
The last time I checked, PS3 and 360 were neck and neck globally. With the PS3 having just a few hundred thousand more (these numbers were in terms of millions) than the 360. It basically came down to the fact that the 360 had sold nearly twice as many in the US, but the PS3 sold nearly twice as well everywhere else. Last time I saw preorder numbers for the US, the PS4 had a good lead of about 200,000 units.

So, unless something has drastically changed, I see the PS4 and Xbox One selling roughly equally as well, or the PS4 having a slight lead, in the US. As for the rest of the world, I don't think Xbox One has a chance.

Honestly, having seen the numbers, I see why Microsoft only seemed to care about the US. Only the US really cared about the 360.
Let's not forget that the 360 has also been around for 1 more year than the ps3. So the units of ps3 in per year sales should be more highly weighted. I'd say without the terrible pricing and development hurdles that plagued the ps3 Sony should see another ps2-level generation.
That's a fair point. Still, just looking at overall sales, the systems were neck and neck. If we're being really picky, I don't think those numbers exclude people who had to repurchase a console due to the system dieing. While that might take off some PS3s, we all know of the 360's troubles, and can imagine how that might affect the numbers.

Sony seems to have learned from those past mistakes and designed the PS4 to overcome the issues that plagued the PS3. Time will tell, but I'm fairly confident that PS4 has a strong position.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, hold the presses.

Are you telling me that the console that has superior hardware, superior marketing, and a lower price tag MAY outsell its competition with inferior hardware, abysmal marketing and PR, and is charging $100 more?

This is so revolutionary.

... I honestly hope that they aren't right about the Xbox One outselling in the US. I'd feel so annoyed at my fellow countrymen for not bothering to do the research... or doing the research and STILL being blindingly retarded.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
KazeAizen said:
I'm tired of these things showing up though. It just pisses me off. Its like "Hi. We are posting this even though 99% of you will not be affected by this knowledge whatsoever." I don't want to hear about sales forecasts when it is not my business and I"m pretty sure most people that use this site will only use this exclusively in dick measuring contests.
You don't. I do. This site is not for you only.

SargeSmash said:
Strazdas said:
Yet. I'm certainly not arguing that either are there right now. Indeed, as far as exclusives go right now, I find the Wii U more compelling than either. But it's almost certain that there will be some Sony- or Microsoft-exclusive games that will drive sales of consoles in the future.
very likely. after all i know a guy that bought PS3 for Last of us as well as a guy that bought PS3 for Dust 514. That however does not apply to everyone, nor to majority.

ThunderCavalier said:
... I honestly hope that they aren't right about the Xbox One outselling in the US. I'd feel so annoyed at my fellow countrymen for not bothering to do the research... or doing the research and STILL being blindingly retarded.
Preorders in US show a almost 2:1 win for PS4, so they are definatelly wrong. unless we see a lot of day 1 sales for Xbox. and i mean A LOT.