Analyst: PS4 Will Launch Under $400

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Until there are at LEAST three games that are not available for the PC I would want to play, then I'll buy one.
I think I've got only like 3 games for the PS3. There just wasn't much I wanted to buy/keep. It didn't help that all the games stores near me ran out of business or sold their used titles at a mere 5% discount. (I'd rather a fresh clean copy and pay that extra $3.00!)

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Sony is keeping its cards close; kind of hard to speculate on cost. Still I have to agree anything below 400USD would be a steal. I'd expect it between 4-500 with 2-3 different packages. Another 600USD release and anyone on the fence is going to fall into another camp until it drops. As said the market will not sustain it, but more than that Microsoft would easily win on price and exclusive titles.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Do you know why there's a picture of the controller for this article? Because they haven't even SHOWN US A PICTURE OF THE CONSOLE! Who is this person and why is she speaking for Sony?

That's a fantastically stupid price tag. "Forget reality and the cost of things, people complained about the last console being more than 400 dollars so this one should avoid that as well". This is another massive problem with consoles. Eventually the unwashed console peasants are going to have to wake up and realize that impressive graphics and processing power costs money. A lot of money. They constantly like to point out the price of PCs as a negative while believing that this kind of cost will never ever touch their precious half-computers.

Expecting a $400 price tag is just plain unrealistic.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Pebkio said:
Do you know why there's a picture of the controller for this article? Because they haven't even SHOWN US A PICTURE OF THE CONSOLE! Who is this person and why is she speaking for Sony?

That's a fantastically stupid price tag. "Forget reality and the cost of things, people complained about the last console being more than 400 dollars so this one should avoid that as well". This is another massive problem with consoles. Eventually the unwashed console peasants are going to have to wake up and realize that impressive graphics and processing power costs money. A lot of money. They constantly like to point out the price of PCs as a negative while believing that this kind of cost will never ever touch their precious half-computers.

Consoles can sell for below cost because the manufacturers can recoup losses through future royalties on every game sold. In effect, a more powerful machine is subsidized by future software purchases. This is also a big reason why console games do not enjoy the same discount pricing model as PC games.

In other words: you're not entirely wrong about the fact that we eventually pay for what we get. But you are wrong to suggest that the initial MSRP of the PS4 is somehow inextricably linked to its production cost.

Edit: oh, right, the OP. My support for the PS4 depends entirely on whether or not Sony adopts the same anti-consumer practices as MS. If not, I will gladly buy the PS4 day one on principle alone. Helps that Sony generally offers far better first party stuff.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The Apple BOOM said:
I have absolutely no idea how they can afford this. That price is crazy low.
Lightknight said:
Under $400 would be a little too good to be true. Honestly.
I know. It really is. And that's beautiful.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/11/sony-ps4-price-set-at-349-399/1
$399 baby.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
RicoADF said:
Dark Knifer said:
RicoADF said:
The question I wonder is how much of a bullcrap extra they will tax onto Australia, if they put too much I'll just buy it from the UK as I won't be ripped off again.
Think that would be the for the best. I checked EB games and you can preorder a ps4 with the price being $900 but they haven't announced the final price yet.

Fuck that if its that much though, hope its around $400 to $500 like everywhere else.
I know, however EB is also over estimating on purpose so when it drops it will look 'cheap', psychology trick. I won't accept more than say $600 if US gets it for $400, anymore than around $200 more than the US price I will just import.
The $899 price tag is a placeholder amount. The Xbox one was up there for the same amount and has since changed to $599.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Hmmmm, $400 after all. I wonder if I should even bother with a next gen system.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FrozenCones said:
RicoADF said:
Dark Knifer said:
RicoADF said:
The question I wonder is how much of a bullcrap extra they will tax onto Australia, if they put too much I'll just buy it from the UK as I won't be ripped off again.
Think that would be the for the best. I checked EB games and you can preorder a ps4 with the price being $900 but they haven't announced the final price yet.

Fuck that if its that much though, hope its around $400 to $500 like everywhere else.
I know, however EB is also over estimating on purpose so when it drops it will look 'cheap', psychology trick. I won't accept more than say $600 if US gets it for $400, anymore than around $200 more than the US price I will just import.
The $899 price tag is a placeholder amount. The Xbox one was up there for the same amount and has since changed to $599.
The website now says $549, not too bad to be honest, especially as the XBone is $599. So $50 less for a superior console, not bad. Not as good as the US though, seriously that's dodgy.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
RicoADF said:
FrozenCones said:
RicoADF said:
Dark Knifer said:
RicoADF said:

The website now says $549, not too bad to be honest, especially as the XBone is $599. So $50 less for a superior console, not bad. Not as good as the US though, seriously that's dodgy.

It's region free, just import one. There's absolutely no reason for that kind of bullshit markup.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'll still probably pick one up when it's cheaper. I'm not made of money.

Still wondering on whether to get a Wii U first though.

Pebkio said:
Reality says hello, by the way.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Give this analyst a cookie. They were damn near right on the money with this.