Anchorman Co-Star Set To Play Marvel's Ant-Man

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
So basically no one knows this guy from Friends? C'mon guys. Great show.

Anyways Marvel has a metric shitton of cash now, they can do basically whatever idea they want, and whatever idea that-new-intern wants.

Sep 17, 2009
So...is anyone going to talk about Paul Rudd? I mean "best known from Anchorman" is a disservice. He has been an accredited theater actor his entire life. He is a brilliant comedic actor with perfect timing and a founding member of the comedy troupe, "The State."

He is a great choice for most things.

Haters fall back.

Dec 9, 2009
I know what he was going for with the Batman etc thing, but all I could think of is that Batman is the one that doesn't belong there with all the others being Marvel characters and himself being a DC guy. On topic though I think that there's plenty of potential for some interesting stuff to go down here. Especially with Age of Ultron being a thing. Count me as interested in seeing how this whole deal plays out.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
vid87 said:
Here's the bigger question - Rudd may be playing Ant-Man, but WHO is Ant-Man? My understanding is that it may not actually be Pym who dons the costume but one of the others like Eric O'Grady and that he will be a sort of secret agent. If so, who'll play Pym, if he shows up at all? If not, why wouldn't they go with the guy who originated both the character and the power? If so, will he be retired, still a scientist, employed by Shield, a supervillain, THE supervillain of the film? If Wasp shows up, what will be her connection to all of this since Pym isn't the main character? What's their connection to the rest of the series if the Avengers have already been formed?

I'm just saying there are plenty of ways this could go.
I was also wondering which Ant-Man would be portrayed. According to IMDB the film is focusing on Pym. I dunno where that info came from though and that's all I've found so far in my limited search.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Guffe said:
I'm not familiar with superheros...
Is one of the "antpowers" that he can like fall from superhights and not hurt himself one of the parts? how about lifting shit several times his own bodysize and weight?
Because if that's the case, he's basically a superhuman with superstrength and endurability + the size control thing...
Well in the Earth's Mightiest Hero tv show, he could shrink AND grow. And when he was small, he still hit with the force of a full sized Human. I think that has quite a few practical applications.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
erttheking said:
Guffe said:
I'm not familiar with superheros...
Is one of the "antpowers" that he can like fall from superhights and not hurt himself one of the parts? how about lifting shit several times his own bodysize and weight?
Because if that's the case, he's basically a superhuman with superstrength and endurability + the size control thing...
Well in the Earth's Mightiest Hero tv show, he could shrink AND grow. And when he was small, he still hit with the force of a full sized Human. I think that has quite a few practical applications.
\

Pym Particles essentially let him control size/density, so yes, he does have super strength and endurance even when human sized. Because of ratio's, when he's small he has normal human strength. When he's normal human size, he has probably Captain America level strength.

When he's giant...well, he's a giant.

Apr 17, 2009
his comedic abilities and charisma might be just what the character needs to make him interesting in ways that don't involve backhanding his wife
Oh that was one time! And it was back in the seventies or thereabouts, yet people still insist on making it Ant-Man's one defining character trait (I'm looking at you Ultimate universe!). Seriously, if we were all judged on mental breakdowns we had 40 odd years ago we'd all be so very very screwed

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
wow Andy, you have little to no clue to what your writing about, and it doesn't seem like you have any interest in it... I like the file tag "boring" that you used as well, maybe next you will get some news about star wars, and you can tell us how its for nerds.

OT I rather like the idea of Paul Rudd doing this, although i was expecting them to pick up someone with a bit more starpower from all the news from the rumor mill.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
So you couldn't just say that Paul Rudd was playing Ant-Man? You had to add your two cents. "Oh nobody cares about Ant-Man, blah blah blah, he's not cool like Iron Man or Spider-Man."

I won't say the many reasons why Ant-Man is awesome because many already have. But you should really watch what you type next time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
And of course suddenly everyone thinks Ant-Man is the best superhero. Nobody discussed or gave two fucks about this clown until MOVIE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Wow, seems like andy chalk needs to step up his knowledge about marvel comics.

Hank Pym is one of the most important heroes in the Marvel multiverse. I mean, heck. When his past self was killed by wolverine in the ultron arc, everything was beyond screwed cause he was so damn important to so many events in the timeline, like M-day and House of m.

And I'm not even a comic book fanatic.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
I'm interested to see what they can do with Ant-Man, even though I'm disappointed that Ultron creation detail has been given over to Tony Stark for some strange reason. I feel that takes away from the character and his growth potential.

Really though, I'd rather see if Marvel could pull off a Black Panther movie. With Hank Pym no longer being behind the creation of Ultron, I would have really liked to have seen some sign of Black Panther being looked at in a serious way.

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
They are going to have market the hell out of this movie. No one outside of a very small few have even heard of Ant-Man/Hank Pym. Even the name sounds like it is from one of the '50s B-Movies. If they were so sure they wanted to introduce this character, I think they probably should have gone the Black Widow or Hawkeye route and have him be a secondary character in someone elses movie, I just don't think he can headline and carry a solo movie.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Marvel will have their first disappointment on heir hands.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Who likes Ant-Man?

Hank Pym being a very important Marvel character... lots of people. Right? Plus, Ant-Man means Wasp, and everyone loves Wasp. Well. I love Wasp. But... you get the picture.

I'd say Ant-Man is about as well-known as Thor, at least in terms of "let's make a movie!" characters.

Trek1701a said:
They are going to have market the hell out of this movie. No one outside of a very small few have even heard of Ant-Man/Hank Pym. Even the name sounds like it is from one of the '50s B-Movies.
I think Edgar Wright directing should help a lot.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
The author of this article is completely displaying his lack of comic book knowledge. Hank Pym (if thats who have paul rudd portray, and not Lang) is a mad genius responsible for some good things and bad things... IE Vision and Ultron.

Anyway, I am very excited about this choice. In all honesty, aside from his ties I already mentioned, the thought of an Ant-Man movie didnt really do much for me, but I started taking notice when Edgar Wright got the nod to direct it. THEN they announce Paul Rudd and I am flat out looking forward to this movie. Paul Rudd will be as big of a choice as RDJ was for Tony Stark. I have no doubts.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Spaceman Spiff said:
This is great news, poorly delivered, but great. I love Paul Rudd and enjoy most movies I've seen him in. He has a knack for stealing the show. I only hope that it doesn't get too goofy.

Also thank you Mr. Q, CriticKitten, and others for providing some solid background info and points on this subject.
You're welcome. Oddly enough, I had a copy of Marvel Essentials Ant-Man in my collection.