And this is why Animation is superior to Live Action. (New Images of Live Action Teen Titans show)

Oct 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I mean at the very least Zack Snyder got the LOOK of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman right, this is just a shameful display.
So that means you CAN make live action look? You just contradict yourself there :p

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Oh no

A tv show with a tv show budget can't make movie quality costumes and cgi

The nerve of them
Daredevil and the Flash would like to have a word with you.

let's be honest here, you're comparing shows that have had multiple seasons and increased budgets with leaked paparazzi footage

stop being dishonest with your comparisons.
These are clearly photos taken from the Teen Titan actors out of scene, not in character, wearing jackets over their costumes to keep warm. Of course they are going to look rubbish. People said the same thing (Moviebob included) when they saw leaked photos of catwoman from The Dark Night Rises set, only for her to go on and become the best thing in the movie.

Another point is that, generally speaking, whilst cosplay costumes do a good job of recreating a cartoon costume, but don't necessarily do a good job of looking good in an actual show with convincing characters. That's usually why there is at least some variation from the source material, which is optimised for cartoon/comics and not for real people who have normal proportions in a world with more than six colours. A lot of live action Japanese adaptations of manga/anime make the mistake of blowing their entire budget on super accurate costumes, only for them to look too shiny and out of place in a real world.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
This doesn't really have anything to do with live action costumes, but since the OP linked the more recent Judas Contract animated movie I can't help but post an actual scene from it

I don't really want a live action Judas Contract
I admire the balls they had in adapting that aspect of the Judas Contract comic.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
This doesn't really have anything to do with live action costumes, but since the OP linked the more recent Judas Contract animated movie I can't help but post an actual scene from it

I mean, sure, ignoring all context it looks horrible - and it was. Slade is a piece of shit with a broken moral compass, and SPOILER he throws her to the wolves the moment it becomes convenient for him.

I am happy they had the balls to show that fucked up relationship, it was uncomfortable to watch - it is supposed to be uncomfortable to watch. Especially when juxtaposed with Starfire and Nightwing's healthy relationship.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Why does Starfire look like she is a hooker from 1970's Super Fly movie?

The actress is fine,its the costume designer which needs to be fired.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
That's just the risk you take with a Pragmatic Adaptation [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PragmaticAdaptation]. I don't know anything about the supposed plot of this show (miniseries?) but having Starefire crash land in New York or wherever, and grab the first (tacky) outfit she sees to blend-in makes sense.

She's a character who drinks mustard with a straw. She can have a tacky sense of fashion.
Is that what they're going for though, Starfire the fashion disaster? Someting tells me this is her locked-down look that's supposed to make fans go 'woo yeah, look, it's Starfire!' A pragmatic adaptation of Starfire is probably not something they should've attempted anyway.

undeadsuitor said:

Well, it's supposed to show Terra's trying to be an adult eventhough she's still very much a kid. But then the movie itself isn't very good anyway. It has an animated Kevin Smith in it, nuff said.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Hawki said:
While I agree that the images look bad, it's hardly evidence of animation being superior to live action. By this standard, I could take something poorly animated and cite it as proof that live action is superior.
Okay so you've got me curious now, can you reference a poor quality animated official movie/TV series that had a much better Live-Action adaptation? I'm thinking the old spiderman cartoon could possibly count but then people love making a joke out of it so I don't know.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Nile McMorrow said:
Okay so you've got me curious now, can you reference a poor quality animated official movie/TV series that had a much better Live-Action adaptation?
Are we discussing the quality of the animation by itself, or the quality of the works as a whole?

Even that aside, if we're confining it to Spider-Man, we get the cartoon you mentioned as an example of bog standard animation, but we can also cite the live-action TV series as an example of lacklustre live action. Neither of these prohibit the existence of the Rami (and onwards) Spidey films, or quality Spidey cartoons such as Spectacular Spider-Man.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
You know it makes me wonder how the hell are the gonna make this show work in Live Action because the 3 of them have powers that are way too pricy to make work in live action, especially on TV/Steaming service.

Beast Boy turns into every animal from a micro-organism bacteria to a Whale.

Raven has all these shadow powers that she eminates.

Starfire flys and shoots starbolts and her hair is on fire.

How would you make this work on a TV budget and not look cheap and photoshoped?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
WHy is animation better. Because you don't have to work around the physical characteristics of the actors. But seriously not even being able to spring for body paint on Beastboy and starfirre... that... that is a new degree of laziness.

But seriously, there is a thing that many fail to realize that some thiongs do not adapt well to other mediums. Especially comics and cartoons because in cartoons mind you, the lighting is 100% under your control, as are the actors... but in live action.. you have to work with physics and fleshy meatbag actors.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
You know it makes me wonder how the hell are the gonna make this show work in Live Action because the 3 of them have powers that are way too pricy to make work in live action, especially on TV/Steaming service.

Beast Boy turns into every animal from a micro-organism bacteria to a Whale.

Raven has all these shadow powers that she eminates.

Starfire flys and shoots starbolts and her hair is on fire.

How would you make this work on a TV budget and not look cheap and photoshoped?

Eh, CW does this all the time with their shows.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Animation is certainly a more versatile medium than live action, but I wouldn't say it's inherently superior. However it is superior to whatever the hell THIS is supposed to be.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Animation is certainly a more versatile medium than live action, but I wouldn't say it's inherently superior. However it is superior to whatever the hell THIS is supposed to be.

To be honest, from the actors and the bad designed costumes . I believe this actually could have been a pilot for the executives to see. When a pilot is set up usually done they don't always place the budget into effects or costumes like they would of should.

With that said , the leaked photos were intentionally and where meant to draw the "Internets attention". That P.R works like a charm, now when the show hits, the costumes will be completely different.IF not then this project was made to be a Tax write off for the production companies.

Still Starfire still looks like a Hooker.