Andrew W.K. Won't Be a U.S. Ambassador After All

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Andrew W.K. Won't Be a U.S. Ambassador After All

Does the Middle East need to chill out and party? The U.S. State Department seemed to think so.

Update #2: A new twist in the story emerges! Salon is reporting [http://www.salon.com/2012/11/26/party_king_andrew_w_k_s_un_invitation/] that Andrew W.K. was indeed invited to be a musical ambassador for the U.S. State Department, but after further examination his invitation has since been retracted. A government spokesperson called the original invitation "a mistake and not appropriate." What a shame.

Update #1: New York news blog Brokelyn is now reporting [http://brokelyn.com/partys-over-trust-us-andrew-wk-is-not-going-to-bahrain-as-a-cultural-ambassador/] that Andrew W.K.'s press release was a hoax, and that after speaking with an unnamed member of the State Department's press team, the rocker will not be making a rounds overseas. The government agency hasn't officially confirmed or denied the news yet, so there may still be hope, but for now it looks like this one was just too good to be true.

Original Story: Noted musician and all-around partier Andrew Wilkes-Krier - better known as Andrew W.K. - has a new gig, but it's probably not what you'd expect. The performer has been named Cultural Ambassador to the Middle East by the U.S. State Department. I'll give you a moment to re-read that and let it sink in.

"This is a tremendous invitation. I'm very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I've never been before," the artist notes in a statement on his official site [http://andrewwk.com/news/us-department-of-state-brings-andrew-to-the-middle-east-as-a-cultural-ambassador-of-partying]. "And I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!"

The statement also likens W.K.'s impending journey to that of U.S. Jazz musicians who traveled to other countries many years back to help spread a positive image of America. The performer will begin touring schools and performing for the people of the Middle East at musical venues in December, though official dates and locations are being withheld for security reasons.

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/24/andrew-wk-us-department-of-state-cultural-ambassador-middle-east_n_2184836.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think this was one of the last things I expected to hear when I woke up today.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
America... just as you start to regain my trust by re-electing Obama you go and start being all stupid again >_>;

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This was on Reddit earlier and the conclusion seemed to be that it was just a hoax considering the only actual source site is Andrew's own website.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
I think that's absolutely awesome.
Can hardly imagine anyone more positive and optimistic than him. I think he'll be a wonderful ambassador of partying.
Assuming it's true. I kind of wish it was. And for now, I see no reason to believe it is not. Well, fuck. :(

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MikeWehner said:
I'll give you a moment to re-read that and let it sink in.
Dude...

There is no number of times I could re-read that, and it still make sense...

But, it allows me to do this...

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009

Seriously, WHAT?!

How... Who... WHAT!?

Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea?

I mean really,
MikeWehner said:
show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying.
You want the guy who says THAT representing us?!?!?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
who is that guy? and does it consern me if i live in israel (its technicly the midle east but idk)

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
You know what this calls for? A PARTY!

P-A-R-T-Why? I gotta!

No, I could not resist, though I am taking this with a grain of salt until more sources confirm. I do support the notion of the Middle East loosening the fuck up and removing that colossal stick from its ass though.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Yes, because the problems in the middle east all stem from their lack of repetitive shitty retard music, hangovers, and that tasteless gimp giving everyone the thumbs up.

Seriously America, seeeriousssssleeeeee!

Let's not send anyone with any intellect, lets send a self proclaimed party animal (douchebag), in fact lets send Adam Sandler as well, and Jack Black... and Jesse from Breaking Bad, he'll be all like 'chillout *****', get everyone fucked up on meth, then if anybody still has a problem with merika he can melt them in acid and bury them in the desert.

Listen dudes, I'm from the UK and remember Andrew W.K. he made a song about getting the party started, then immediately released a follow up single that sounded exactly the same. That's it, game over - that's how the rest of the world see him, we see him as an idiot who might force us to party harty, get the party started, fight for their right to party, or some other horrific activity that nobody will enjoy... see to enjoy a party, let alone enjoy a party with that WK tosspot, you'd have to drink, a lot... and Muslims can't drink - is AWK even aware of that!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well this was certainly unexpected, if it's true.

The US's new strategy in the Middle East: Party Hard!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Ambassador to the middle East? We're supposed to be trying to keep peace with them, not make them angrier with bad music.