Andrew W.K. Won't Be a U.S. Ambassador After All

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Is this our way of getting rid of him? Just dump him on some smaller countries?

Okay then, remind me not to piss off the government, I don't want an invitation to be the ambassador to Siberia.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well one could say something about the Middle Easterners needing something to help them unwind and a party would be just the thing...

However, I'm curious as to how this will play out. I remember hearing Andrew W.K. was also a successful motivational speaker, so maybe the State Department isn't full of stark raving mad people...

KeikakuKat

Feb 10, 2011
What's he going to do with the Middle East?
Destroy, Build, Destroy!

I can't have been the first person to think of that.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm gonna have to wait on a real news source before I start partying hard in celebration. This is just too surreal for me to take seriously at this stage. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to see as a joke on Metalocalypse, or Family Guy.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqOTU89cgC4

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
UPDATE, 11/26: New York blog Brokelyn is reporting that Andrew W.K. was not named the Cultural Ambassador to the Middle East, after an unnamed communications staffer in the State Department told the site that they had not heard of the singer's "new post." HuffPost is in the process of confirming.
It's probably fake.

Damn it...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. I wonder if I could get myself a news article in the Huffington Post about how I'm King of the Universe Forever just by claiming the State Department named me that without proof.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
We've updated the story to reflect the news that it appears the original press release was a hoax. Still waiting on official confirmation from the State Dept to dismiss it entirely, but for now it looks like it's been debunked.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
MikeWehner said:
...so there may still be hope, but for now it looks like this one was just too good to be true.
O.O Are you serious? It sounds like you wanted this to be a thing.

There is no amount of ways that it can be stressed that if this was true and eventually happened then a whole lotta shit-stirring would occur if he visited the Middle Eastern countries that were not the slightly lenient ones. Seriously. Fuck ups a plenty would follow.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
This makes me really sad. I would have loved to see this guys career go from rocker to tv show host to US ambassador

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
idodo35 said:
who is that guy? and does it consern me if i live in israel (its technicly the midle east but idk)
Prepare for some epic headbanging and all round epic parties.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I wish this was true. The Middle East needs an injection of awesome. If I ever run a country, I would definitely have him as an ambassador.
surg3n said:
Listen dudes, I'm from the UK and remember Andrew W.K. he made a song about getting the party started, then immediately released a follow up single that sounded exactly the same. That's it, game over - that's how the rest of the world see him, we see him as an idiot who might force us to party harty, get the party started, fight for their right to party, or some other horrific activity that nobody will enjoy... see to enjoy a party, let alone enjoy a party with that WK tosspot, you'd have to drink, a lot... and Muslims can't drink - is AWK even aware of that!
He's actually a fairly intelligent guy. The party guy thing is a bit of an act. In fact I'd saying you were being unnecessarily harsh on the guy, considering you've never met him it seems unfair to call him a tosspot, just by going off of his music, which isn't really meant to be taken too seriously.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Update 2: A new twist in the story emerges! Salon is reporting that Andrew W.K. was indeed invited to be a musical ambassador for the U.S. State Department, but after further examination his invitation has since been retracted. A government spokesperson called the original invitation "a mistake and not appropriate." What a shame.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Man I admit I loved that party hard song, but if you've heard any of Andrew's other songs you just grow more and more incredulous untill you can't determine whether he is for real or some kind of immensely clever parody like the characters of Sacha Baron Cohen.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I seriously didn't know this dude still made music or did anything. I saw him at an Ozzfest and he essentially got boo'd off of the stage. When your fame is "ironic" fame you can't expect it to last very long.

EDIT: This seems relevant.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Thank god. I know the idea is to spread a positive message and by extension make the whole of the US look better, but having someone represent the US who is the antithesis of their own culture was just a terrible idea. And he isn't exactly what I would call a good musician/lyricist/singer.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hah wow. I didn't even know this was a thing. If only it was real, he's such a cool and nice dude from the interviews I've seen. PARTY PARTY PARTY