Angry Joe's interview with Major Nelson

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
<youtube=6RtSGFryKwo>

First of all, kudos to Joe for making that interview and asking those questions in a respectful manner. Seriously, the fact that Joe, a one guy without any team, managed to reach to Major Nelson is kinda impressive.
Second, kudos to Nelson for being (mostly) good sport and clarifying some things and shedding new light on other.

Anyway, what's your thoughts?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
It's amazing watching the guy try to avoid questions or talk about: "we're going to the future, why wouldn't you want to come with us?" whenever you mention the flaws of the system.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
I'm glad to see how Joe has progressed as an interviewer, he learned his lesson after the Geoff Keighley scenario.

I really find it so weird how smug people like Nelson are. They've mastered the art of deflecting questions about embracing change for the sake of it.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
He did well considering the circumstances. He has another video up explaining why that interview was a touch messy.

I applaud the mans integrity. He says he is going to do something, and he does it.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
In theory theres a lot of neat shit with the next Xbox. I like the family share feature if it means I can add my friends and we can all pool our library of games.

But that 24 connect rule sounds like a real pain in the ass. Also all this shit about the "cloud"... Look I'm a hard drive whore, I love as much storage space as possible, but I hate the idea of putting any data into a space I can't physically hold in my hands.

They're right that this is the future of gaming, but it's too far ahead of it's time I think.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So this is the all hailed Nelson... I really wonder what his purpose is because he seem to know less then a brochure, and through the entire interview he tried his hardest to derail with unrelated meaningless drivel.

I'm really glad Joe is growing a thicker skin so he can keep plowing on amidst all the bullshit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Asuka Soryu said:
It's amazing watching the guy try to avoid questions or talk about: "we're going to the future, why wouldn't you want to come with us?" whenever you mention the flaws of the system.
Pretty much this.

Every time Joe mentions anything about DRM Major Nelson just says, "but you get to share your games without a disk! Don't you want to share games without a disk? Isn't that cool and futuristic? Cloud gaming!"

Yes, being able to share your games with others using the cloud is very cool. You know what else is cool? Being able to own the stuff you buy, and being able to play your games and share them with your friends, and give them to whoever you want without Microsoft treating you like a criminal and deciding that they need to monitor you all the time.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Man Nelson is such a dousheeeeeeeeeeee. That said this is best interview I have seen so far on the system. I gotta give joe credit he kept his cool and asked the important questions while still remaining polite.

I get the impression that microsoft wanted to go for the future but didn't take into account anything but what they wanted to see. They didn't account for the end of the consoles life cycle and have no idea what to do then and they didn't take into account whether everyone is prepared for this sorta tech shift yet. They are truly a ostrich with its head stuck in the sand. They are potentially great but they have no idea what is going on or what they should be doing completely oblivious to everything or how to handle anything.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
He just seems to dodge questions and when joe trys to get to the things which everyone wants/needs to know about the thing, not to mention the guy seemed to go about accusing joe of not caring about the family aspects which is unfair considering he's trying to get some facts out of the "were doing this! Wait he was wrong were actually doing this!".

Microsoft PR needs to figure out the facts before giving details to those who do the presenting because so far they've either come off as clueless or nasty towards gamers (e.g. buy a 360 if you can't connect to the internet).

So far Microsoft seem to not even have a clue about their own console.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
People keep acting like Microsoft should be obliged to answer for the way their distribution system works. They really don't they've decided that they're using this cloud-based, pseudo-DRM.....thing. And that's their decision moving forward, how good this system actually is is going to come down to the gritty details of exactly how the system is implemented and how much give/take the system provides in terms of the restrictions / conveniences balance. People are acting like this distribution system's restriction is worst thing since Hitler, at the moment it sounds like it's going to function in a manner similar to Steam, I'll say it again, the actual effectiveness / hindrance of this system will come down to how generous / dickish Microsoft are about their implementation. All shall be revealed in the fullness of time.

Having said all that I'm not terribly optimistic, Microsoft have a far from stellar track record. i'm going to sit this gen out on the PC until the exact nature of the beast(s) emerge.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I think Joe did an amazing job Major nelson tried his best not to answer any questions and when getting into a question he didnt want to answer went to stuff like the clud

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
To be fair to Nelson, that was a really impromptu interview and it's SUPER easy to get the feeling that you're being attacked if the interviewer is not skilled enough. In this regard, I think AJ failed and Nelson went on the defensive as a result. Nevertheless, he would probably have done a better job then I would have if I had to do that so kudos to AJ.

Another thing is Nelson is limited VERY MUCH by what he can say and promise. A lot of times, people try to put these kinds of people on the spot and get them to say things they REALLY can't say. So they have to deny anyone who tries to weedle such out of them.

Yet another thing too is that it looks like Nelson still harbors somewhat of a grudge against AJ. Yet another reason for why he's so defensive. People ask, 'Why did he deflect so many questions?' Well, AJ was lucky to even be able to get an interview of any kind with Nelson IMO. He could have just said no and that he would be busy or whatever.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
One thing i love about this:

You can share your game with 10 people! 10 PEOPLE!

Dude, I can share my game with any freaking person i want at the moment, I just give them the disc. Bloody hell.

Also people turning off your xbox by yelling XBOX OFF, you know, parents, girlfriends, friends being jerks, lol.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Strangely enough, Angry Joe had more journalistic integrity than most Journalists. He asked the hard questions, pushed harder for real answers, and didn't just cave. The fact that he's literally a one man show makes it all the more impressive.

I get tired of Game Journalists getting the chance to ask questions, and it's basically boils down to "So, the Xbox One is amazing, everyone loves it, tell us about how Microsoft is going to make it even more amazing in the future!".
They become these weird marketing things, as opposed to people who's job it is to ask questions that people want answers to. They just fall into line.

Good work Joe!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Gotta appreciate Joe for trying to plug away like that. It's obvious Microsoft know that they're shitting on certain people, and simply don't think it's a big enough deal.

Well Microsoft, you can't run a business like that forever, just look at EA. They realised that they have to at least try to change their public image, especially these days with information spreading like wildfire across the internet.

I'm personally a little disappointed there was no direct questioning about the Kinect. I'd love to hear Microsoft stuttering when someone asks them why the Kinect is even mandatory if it (apparently) can be completely turned off.

Jun 16, 2010
It's funny how the guy seems to think of Angry Joe as just some small-time pleb he can walk all over. Did you see @11:40 when he grabs Joe's mic and interrupts him?

Little does he know this interview will probably be far more talked-about than the canned ones he does with "bigger" journalists.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Zeh Don said:
Strangely enough, Angry Joe had more journalistic integrity than most Journalists.
Angry Joe is one my favorite gaming critics, I don't always align with his opinions about games but he is honest and pro consumer. His reviews are honest too and he tries to give sensible scores, 1-10 where one is absolutely beyond awful, five is average and 10 is beyond spectacular. He is balanced about platforms too, critics like Total Biscuit are focused on the glorious master race. Angry Joe will often give separate scores for multiplatform titles too.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
the_green_dragon said:
One thing i love about this:

You can share your game with 10 people! 10 PEOPLE!

Dude, I can share my game with any freaking person i want at the moment, I just give them the disc. Bloody hell.

Also people turning off your xbox by yelling XBOX OFF, you know, parents, girlfriends, friends being jerks, lol.
Come on, don't play dumb. He was talking about a situation where your son is on the other side of the country, can you give him your disk?
I have many friends who live far from my home, different countries, different continents even. I can't give them shit.
Even a complete idiot would see the benefit from being able to share your entire library with a click of a button.

captcha: dream big