Anime Review: Heroic Age, Part 1

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
black lincon said:
Another question for you Mr. Funk, are there going to be video supplements for the anime reviews in the same way there are for game reviews?
We currently have no plans to do video supplements at this time. Video supplements are an in-house effort, and considering that our peachy-keen anime review staff is all located elsewhere, it would be difficult (bordering on impossible) to make it happen. Sorry!

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
black lincon said:
although I would have liked to see more than a passing reference to the music.
It's funny you should say that. I would have said more about the music but a passing reference was all it was really worth in this series; a bit sad considering the quality of Naoki Sato's previous offerings.
I'll have to trust you on that one. I've never watched this series and the only experience I can say with certainty that I've had with Naoki Sato is in Eureka 7, which was incredible in my opinion but I love that whole series unconditionally so I'm not one to judge. just a suggestion for the future, but besides that a very good review.

Just out of curiosity, can you talk about any other animes your reviewing that you can talk about? like in a wink wink nudge nudge kind of way. like you don't mean to start spreading rumors but you might be reviewing Serie no Moribito, or Moribito Gaurdian of Spirits(the localized name), which even if you aren't reviewing you might want to watch.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
black lincon said:
Another question for you Mr. Funk, are there going to be video supplements for the anime reviews in the same way there are for game reviews?
We currently have no plans to do video supplements at this time. Video supplements are an in-house effort, and considering that our peachy-keen anime review staff is all located elsewhere, it would be difficult (bordering on impossible) to make it happen. Sorry!
It's okay, I can certainly understand. I just want this to go as well as possible as I can more easily get my hands on anime by um, *cough*stealing maybe*cough*, than I can games, and I certainly want to have a good anime reviewing site to have as a reference.

another question, would you start a guest review for anime like for games?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
black lincon said:
There's no reason why we can't. That said, it's not something we have plans for at the moment. It's certainly something we're open to, though it will be something that we will decide on at a later date.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
black lincon said:
Just out of curiosity, can you talk about any other animes your reviewing that you can talk about? like in a wink wink nudge nudge kind of way. like you don't mean to start spreading rumors but you might be reviewing Serie no Moribito, or Moribito Gaurdian of Spirits(the localized name), which even if you aren't reviewing you might want to watch.
I don't actually know what The Escapist's policies are there, so I'll err on the side of caution and just keep my mouth shut. Besides, it'll be a surprise that way.

Coincidentally, I just watched the fourth volume of Moribito last night. They need to speed up the release rate of that series.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
black lincon said:
I don't actually know what The Escapist's policies are there, so I'll err on the side of caution and just keep my mouth shut. Besides, it'll be a surprise that way.

Coincidentally, I just watched the fourth volume of Moribito last night. They need to speed up the release rate of that series.
Wait just a dern second, volume? By volume do you mean episode or is there more the just Serie no Moribito?

CantFaketheFunk said:
black lincon said:
There's no reason why we can't. That said, it's not something we have plans for at the moment. It's certainly something we're open to, though it will be something that we will decide on at a later date.
then I'll have to actually start reviewing!

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
black lincon said:
Wait just a dern second, volume? By volume do you mean episode or is there more the just Serie no Moribito?
"Volume" as in the fourth DVD they've released for sale [http://www.amazon.com/Moribito-Guardian-Spirit-Mabuki-Andou/dp/B0020SC16Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245098934&sr=1-4] here.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
black lincon said:
"Volume" as in the fourth DVD they've released for sale [http://www.amazon.com/Moribito-Guardian-Spirit-Mabuki-Andou/dp/B0020SC16Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245098934&sr=1-4] here.
Oh! for sale! yes, just like how I get my anime.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
You were kinder than I would have been. Somewhere about halfway through the series, the battles degenerate into "Bellcross punches increasingly larger / unlikely things." Which is a big problem when so much of the running time is devoted to the battles. If it wasn't for the supporting cast, I would have stopped watching it altogether.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
You were kinder than I would have been. Somewhere about halfway through the series, the battles degenerate into "Bellcross punches increasingly larger / unlikely things." Which is a big problem when so much of the running time is devoted to the battles. If it wasn't for the supporting cast, I would have stopped watching it altogether.
My review content stopped right at the halfway mark of the series. Honestly, I think it was heading in the direction you describe well before that point; I was hoping the second half would steer things onto a better course.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
To be fair, it's not always a bad thing.

See also: Gurren Lagann, Tengen Toppa.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
To be fair, it's not always a bad thing.

See also: Gurren Lagann, Tengen Toppa.
True. Sometimes it's simply a matter of context, not that Gurren Lagann didn't have its fair share of other issues.

Namely Gainax.

AtticusSP

Apr 6, 2009
Oh Heroic Age.
So much potential wasted on that horrible princess character.
No one watches shows like this for BLAH BLAH LETS DISCUSSION BLAH BLAH.
Needed so much more Bellcross. Still, what action it did have, was fucking awesome.

I hope you review Baccano! sometime in the future. A series that great really needs to get spread around more, although the unique style of storytelling often turns off younger fans since it confuses them.

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
Like Milkman Dan, I would have been harsher with the reivew. It's utterly crap anime and the ending is just "ugh". If I'd be you (op) I wouldn't even bother watching the last episodes.

I'd suggest reviewing the bigger names as a start; Death Note, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist.

You guys just pick one randomly or go by genre?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
JadeWah said:
Like Milkman Dan, I would have been harsher with the reivew. It's utterly crap anime and the ending is just "ugh". If I'd be you (op) I wouldn't even bother watching the last episodes.
I'll see the series through to the end simply because I don't leave anything unfinished.

My review process is scalar in nature. After watching as much anime as I have - 1300+ DVDs in the past four years alone - I've seen the gamut, and that means I've been exposed to significantly worse than anything the first half of Heroic Age had to throw at me. Consequently, it doesn't sit as low on my scale as it may on yours. ;) It also means that I've seen plenty of anime that struck me as being more impressive than many of the popular series, so I maintain a fairly counter-culture stance.

I'd suggest reviewing the bigger names as a start; Death Note, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist.

You guys just pick one randomly or go by genre?
We review material that is in the process of being released currently, as I understand it. Even some of the older titles in this review just saw recent boxed set releases. Maybe titles will be even more current if we get through whatever backlog The Escapist has accrued.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Aptspire said:
"but I don't want to pilot the giant robot" whine-card
*Cough*EVAngelion*Cough*
:p
HAH! I'm glad somebody caught that allusion. It's a term a friend coined a while back. We use it to refer to any protagonist that refuses to do what they should goddamn well be doing.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
I really enjoyed this series, and I think there are AT LEAST a few people (Including myself) who are reminded in some part of Star Craft.

Iron Tribe = Terrans (Duh)
Bronze = Zerg
Silver = 'toss.

Great review, though. I hope you'll continue with the second half. By the way, is the second half released on DVD Yet, or did I miss something in the thread?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
JamesCG said:
I really enjoyed this series, and I think there are AT LEAST a few people (Including myself) who are reminded in some part of Star Craft.

Iron Tribe = Terrans (Duh)
Bronze = Zerg
Silver = 'toss.
The Terran/Zerg/Protoss - or the original Space Marine/Tyranid/Eldar - triumvirate has certainly become rather common.

Great review, though. I hope you'll continue with the second half. By the way, is the second half released on DVD Yet, or did I miss something in the thread?
I'm glad you enjoyed the review. The second half is currently slated for North American release at the end of this month. I'm not one to leave a series unfinished, so I'll be picking it up.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aptspire said:
*Cough*EVAngelion*Cough*
RollForInitiative said:
Aptspire said:
*Cough*EVAngelion*Cough*
HAH! I'm glad somebody caught that allusion. It's a term a friend coined a while back. We use it to refer to any protagonist that refuses to do what they should goddamn well be doing.
To be fair, it could be any number of Gundam protagonists, too.

Well, maybe just Amuro and Kira.