Anime suggestions?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sadly most of this season's offerings are, to put it bluntly, absolute shite. Unless you're a teenage girl or a pedophile.

I recommend.

Welcome to the NHK.

To Aru Majutsu no Index (currently running and quite a nice mix of esp/magic)

Skip Beat (Yes. It's for teenage girls. No. I'm not gay. Seriously it's awesome. One of the few 'funny' anime (that is funny to people who don't wish they were Japanese)I've seen.

Death Note is awesome although it tapers off a bit towards the end.

Gungrave, despite being based on a video game and despite having one of the worst opening episodes ever conceived (even worse than Berserk's famously terrible opening) it's actually fucking awesome.

Machiko No Hachin has been interesting so far. It's got a nice aesthetic going on.

Monster was very good, if only because it's a bastion of maturity in a sea of childish bullshit.

Last Exile is nice steampunk fantasy.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Gurren Lagann.

Unless you can speak Japanese and have lots of money, in which case get the Macross Frontier blu-rays.

linchowlewy

Nov 27, 2008
Raptoricus said:
Well I've just recently finished watching, "Ergo Proxy", and I liked all the anime on your list (share most of your dislikes too, but I do like Death Note). It get's pretty wierd in places mind, but I like that when it fits with the story, unlike the end of evangellion. Oh yeah another one I watched a while back that I enjoyed a lot was "Serial Experiment Lain" it's all about the internet and it's intergration into real life I suppose, another wierd one mind :| .
i was going to recommend him ergo proxy but judging by his list it seems like he may not like it.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I rather like Soul Eater, but some may find it a little immature. I originally started watching it because the animation is so fantastic, but I eventualy found myself hooked.

If you're looking for a super serious action type anime, try Gantz. I didn't really like it much, but you might. I'd advise you to buy the manga somewhere, though, because it has a bullshit filler ending.

I've heard good things about Berserk, but I've never actualy bothered to watch it. I hear it also has a filler ending, so I'd advise you to get the manga for that one as well.

I personally rank Beck as my favorite anime of all time. It isn't actiony, but it hooked me almost instantly.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
captainwillies said:
Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi!!!! this is awesome if you like martial arts fight scenes.
You might want to check out Hajime no Ippo. It's basically the same thing but with boxing.

Oh and it has an episode where a dude punches a bear to death.

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
xxxHoliC - Seems wordy to start with, but the stuff it comes out with is mind blowing.

Shakugan no Shana - Looking at your list this will be much more up your alley. You won't regret buying this one.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - This one doesn't even need explaining. The episode order might! Try to watch it in chronological order, as the broadcast order makes things more confusing.

If you can tolerate Crunchyroll then Skip Beat is showing a lot of promise, more of a comedy than romance, but not OTT comedy.

There are others, personally I also think Black Blood Brothers would be good for you, but the rest are a bit wordy and might not be to your liking.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hunter X Hunter and Berzerker, gotta see those because they have good story's and interesting characters but these animes are pretty old, still good animation though!

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
linchowlewy said:
Raptoricus said:
Well I've just recently finished watching, "Ergo Proxy", and I liked all the anime on your list (share most of your dislikes too, but I do like Death Note). It get's pretty wierd in places mind, but I like that when it fits with the story, unlike the end of evangellion. Oh yeah another one I watched a while back that I enjoyed a lot was "Serial Experiment Lain" it's all about the internet and it's intergration into real life I suppose, another wierd one mind :| .
i was going to recommend him ergo proxy but judging by his list it seems like he may not like it.
Suppose your right to be honest, but I still reccomend it if you ever feel up for giving a new one a go, looking over your list again, one that I'd definately reccomend to you is Blood+, the series rather than the movie though, lots of action, really nice animation, and an awesome plot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood%2B

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Afro Samurai is pretty damn good, can't go wrong with Sam Jackson and Ron Pearlman voicing the principal characters... I'd also recommend the two Ghost in the Shell feature films if you like SAC...

EDIT: You may also enjoy Record of Lodoss War, which is essentially an anime version of Dungeons & Dragons...

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
I think you should watch Great Teacher Onizuka. It's a really good anime, I'm not sure if you will like it though but I have watched it so many times and it's so good every single time.

GTO FTW

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
One Piece (In Japanese)
Afro Samurai
Wolf's Rain (minus the ending)

Those are my favourites, also Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Rolling 20

Jan 1, 2009
Okay ummm....

Anime:

- One Piece (the anime is fun) (Japanese voices only, all english anime suck)
- Bleach (Many have suggested this for a reason)
- Hunter X Hunter
- Rurouni Kenshin (Best Samurai series ever)

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
Hey Neon Genesis Evangelion isnt so bad to watch and its not hard to understand all it cost to watch it is your mind....

The Great Fa

May 25, 2008
I totally forgot Afro Samurai. What an absolutely friggin' sweet idea for a show. This one has, hands down, some of the most visually interesting characters in anime and the quality of the animation is second to none. Also the fight scenes will make you wet your pants - they're that cool.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Oh, I did think of one other one that, if I remember correctly was fairly action-y but also really funny; Desert Punk.

As to the person who recommended Welcome to the NHK: I watched the first... 2 episodes. Is it worth continuing or do you suspect that if I don't like it by then I'm probably not going to?

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
No one mentioned Samurai Champloo yet.

Also I second the recommendation for Golden Boy, very funny short anime indeed.

Ollitsac Okim

Jan 13, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
Russian Redneck said:
If you want a fun, "epic" adventure anime then One Piece is right up your alley. It combines silly, ridiculous bursts of shonen spaz with subtle, complex political and social issues. The character development is surprisingly good for an anime of its kind, the fights are appropriately paced, and it rarely loses its sense of direction. It manages to find a nice balance between drama and humor, even if the latter occasionally wedges itself in uncomfortably when you're trying to sympathize with a villager who's been betrayed by their colleagues. Also, the main character is rather annoying and facepalm-worthy as the series progresses but if you can look past its flaws then you're in for a treat.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's over 350 episodes long so be prepared for a long ride.
Yeah...no One Piece
one piece is horrible i would rather watch season 4 the bount episodes of bleach (that were not even in the manga i might add.)then any one piece episode or manga.if you want something funnier then one piece but still stupid then try rave master or anything else from hiro mashima because i think he's better then Oda Eiichiro as an artist and author.
Oh yeah im not good at picking animes for people because i havent watched any for about 2 years because none of them where that interesting to me or i read the mangas and way passed the anime episodes which is fun if you want to torment your friends by telling them there favorite characters die... maybe. haha.

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
Off-Topic: Thank you for hating on NGE (it always makes me smile when someone does that).

On-Topic: There are a lot of great suggestions on here, so I'm going to recommend one that hasn't been said yet.

Higurashi No Naku Koro ni

This is the single, most fucked up anime, I have EVER seen. I'm serous, It will freak. You. Out.

Oh god, the theme song still haunts me to this day.

Pirate Pete

Sep 10, 2008
You seem to like action-based anime, so I recommend Berserk, and most of Gantz.

Berserk is just pure, focused awesome, in a medieval, slight fantasy setting (Afew demons and things, but no wizards). The main character has a giant sword, but looks powerful enough to use it. Also, it has hilarious outtakes on the DVDs (The ones I hired, at least). I cannot recommend this anime enough, and if I had any disposable income that didn't go towards drinking, I'd buy it, even though I've already seen it all.

Gantz is semi-sci-fi, with people dying around a certain time being transported to a room, given weapons and powered suits, and told to go kill some aliens. If the people survive, they go back to their normal lives until the next alien-killing mission. When they're in their normal lives, the main guy seems to git a bit too emo, but then goes insane during the missions.