Anime Virgins

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
well as a "Anime Virgins" i may be interested if:
1: The characters are not bitchy/angsty teenagers
2: There is some level of physics. aka: a man cant lift a 200m sword and mechas are not the size of the moon (any movement and they would tear them selves apart)
3: if someone is being shot at they cant avoid all the bullets by jumping around them
4: if two mortal enemies meet they dont talk for 2hours then try to kill each other
5: at least one thing blows-up an episode.

or am i not getting the point of anime?

mech= a tanks fire power on a more mobile base

mecha= more a suit of power armour and generally look more like a person, they are also prone to deifying physics (and reality)

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Ok here I go and yes I have fully watched all on this list
trolls and fan fags can go to hell.

FMA brotherhood had a crap ending ... got the power of a god ?? it didn't look like it ??

FLCL was just pure retarded

One piece is too long

Ouran High School Host Club is too girly

Black butler another crap ending and slow start

Elfen lied ... Ah fuck off

Death note gets shit after
L dies

Naruto crap voice's even in jap (manga yes)

Bleach fucking fillers XO

Clannad+after story ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ *wakes up* ah look sad parts was I meant to care ??

Code geass meh its OK

any vampire amines they all suck and shut up

devil may cry anime is completely story-less

Gurren Lagann Ok this one I like stort and sweet

soul eater is a roller coster of a disappointment all the main characters just suck mainly BLACK FUCKING STAR.

So on to to cherry popping anime for me I would death note and one piece if they have lots of time on there hands if not then Tengen Toppa Gurren lagann is much shorter.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Damn, someone beat me to Outlaw Star. Good memories. I outright loved Code Geass. Half of me wants to see some continuation of the plot, but the other half thinks it stopped at the right time. Actually make that 40:60.

What about Seirei no Moribibo? (Guardian of the Spirit)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Jabberwock King said:
What about Seirei no Moribibo? (Guardian of the Spirit)
Wow, first time I've seen someone recommend that (at all). I think some people would find it a bit unsatisfying as a high-fantasy story, due to the lack of a primary antagonist.

Great story, though, and while the fight scenes are fairly short, they're still well animated and PLAUSIBLE!

ManWithHat

Apr 1, 2011
I think the best anime for beginners would be the ones that are much further removed from the Japanese culture. If someone isn't into anime, then odds are they probably won't be into the culture. It will just be weird to them.

For a good action show, I would go with Trigun. I love the show. It's like a western; more people can relate to the concept. FMA is good, too; it has a more serious tone and some deep concepts to enjoy. I also find that Yu Yu Hakasho is excellent as well; I found the dub to be very American in style of speech. I almost thought it was an American production until I saw the Japanese credits.

For a lighthearted romantic-comedy, I would say Ah! My Goddess. For the show taking place in Japan, it was very normal. It's essentially just about an unlikely couple trying to make it in everyday life, gods and goddesses aside.

Big O is good if you like niore, but a little hard to follow if you're not up for it.

I don't watch a lot of anime myself, so I can't say much else on the matter.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Junkle said:
Elfen Lied.

[/sarcasm]
But really, FMA is a good overall choice.
In the end, though, it really depends on the person you're introducing to anime. Finding out what they like is probably a good first step. Romantic comedies? Something light, Love Hina included. Shows/movies with lots of explosions and manliness? Look no farther than Gurren Lagann (aka one of my top 5 anime. Ever.) Action? Bleach or maaayyybbeee Naruto. Nothing's perfect, just choose something that seems to fit with their character.
Funny thing is that was my first anime (dubbed naruto and a handful of DBZ episodes don't count). It was a good start for me.

Junkle

in the trunkle.
Oct 26, 2009
Elfen Lied was your first anime...? That would be interesting...

I mostly put that up there as something that I would never try to introduce someone with. Too violent and insane, and it would probably give the person the wrong idea about the genre as a whole. I mean, if it worked for you, great. It was an early one of mine as well, but I would probably have ended up with whiplash going from cute to terrifyingly violent and back again. I mean, I got some of it anyway, but I understood it better.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone you could think of who you would introduce to anime via Elfen Lied. Also, that naruto and DBZ does help at least mitigate some of the culture shock, I think.

hiphop8004

Apr 4, 2011
Fans of-

Westerns: Trigun
Slice and dicing: Afro Samurai
South Park : Funamation's Shin Chan
Vampires today: Vampire Knights
Cool Vampires: Hellsing
Disney Channel: Azumanga Daioh

(let me know if im missing anything)

Caeculus

Apr 24, 2011
Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Ghost in the Shell and Code Geass would probably all be pretty good for initiation to anime.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
&nbsp&nbspWell I can only suggest what I know, and what were the first animes I watched.
At this time I would like to say I am a little disappointed to see Eva mentioned only twice.

&nbsp&nbspI first watched Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Neon Genesis Evengelion, both of these I highly recommend and with what is currently happening with the Eva series, issue 12 (final issue) of the manga is almost complete and the Rebuild series of movies are currently in production, it would be good to get a newcomer into it now so they have new episodes to look forward to.

&nbsp&nbspI next viewed Cardcaptor and Sailor Moon, both of these I am not sure if I would recommend to others, I mean I love them dearly but most people I suggest them to kind of hate the concept of a female lead who is a bit of a sook, or at least that is what I put it to.

&nbsp&nbspTime for 'shit' to get 'real.' Haruhi. If you don't know what this means search that one word using google. It started off as novels, great read I might add, and then was adapted. A great transition, a movie has also been made which is brilliant.

&nbsp&nbspIf you have read all of this then I thank you for your time.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
AyreonMaiden said:
I'd show them [Cowboy] Bebop or Black Lagoon over the other two though.
Black Lagoon FTW. Ghost in the Shell would be another good choice. Black Lagoon provides more than enough gunplay to keep anyone entertained, not to mention a few jokes here and there.

Elven Marksman

Jun 27, 2008
Elfen Lied!!!!

Hahahaha, that's what I showed my friends that haven't really seen anime =D

But something like Kaze no Stigma would be best i reckon, it's got a little bit of alot of genres, so they can decide what part they like for themselves. It's what i would have picked if I didn't just wana freak people out with Lucy carnage =D

CarrieWhitaker

Oct 11, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
CarrieWhitaker said:
Though personally I don't recommend Melancholy as an initial foray.
Probably why no-one else has... and SHnY/MoHS has received a lot of hate from Anime Escapists recently...

Besides, because of the endless eight, I don't really intend to watch it ever again...
I need to read that in the light novels at some point. Honestly, as a plot device to set up Disappearance, yeah. But as eight whole episodes? It just doesn't work.

For those who watched TNG Trek, well, Cause and Effect managed to show several time loops in one episode. :p Once I read the novel version, I'm almost guessing I'll say the same thing woulda worked for E8. in far fewer episodes. :p

Venereus

May 9, 2010
If less than 18 years old, then Evangelion. Nothing like a good mind fucking for a young growing mind.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Cowboy Bebop is pretty much your best bet. I think Ghost Hunt, Beck, Black Lagoon, or Trigun are also all good series to do but..seriously what could beat Cowboy Bebop?