Anime

Logizomechanophobia

Feb 23, 2009
linchowlewy said:
cainx10a said:
If you liked DBZ for the humor and fights, then sir, don't look any further, One Piece is the one you need for crazy long fights that remains entertaining to watch and over-the-top humor. Not to mention, the vast array of characters that are all unique and add to the layer of awesomeness that one piece is.
just don't watch the english versions. especially not the 4kids ones.
^ that. All of it. Or, even better, read the manga. Although the anime did do SOME things well.

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
I like Bleach. Or, more accurately, I liked Bleach, before it started to feel like it was just getting dragged out for money. I find that Ichigo's (the main character) "surprise" power-ups are ridiculous...he dies and somehow comes back stronger every second episode now. (Although, Ulquiorra is my favorite character, and he was a fairly recent addition...)

Right. Good Anime. There's really so much of it out there, that there ought to be something for everyone by now. There's plenty of sci-fi/fantasy, an anomalous amount of romantic comedy, the 'high school life' stuff, and an awful lot of violent stuff. What I haven't seen much of is really cerebral anime, Death Note aside, though I haven't been looking very hard. (On that note, is the Death Note anime comparable to the manga? I've only read the latter, never actually seen the anime.)

As an aside, there's a bit of every genre that *doesn't* focus on tits. Which some people seem to think is impossible.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
My better half gets very flustered by anime, she finds the entire aesthetic very creepy.

When she told me that I quickly made her watch Urotsukudoji... I'm a bastard I know but it was funny.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
As much as I like anime... I don't actively seek it out, they usually find me by way of reccommendations or borrowed from a friend. There are some I've absolutely detested, and some I've latched onto like a suger happy child latches onto an ice cream truck.

But it's always something like; The anime really has to make me believe this is happening, only a few have sold me on it. It's really hard given it's medium. Cowboy Bebop did it, Full Metal Alchemist (dub) did it, Death Note did it, Actually if I'm plain and fair DBZ did it back when I watched it as a little kid... as far as girls go I was pretty weird but it was the only cartoon on in the mornings along with Sonic, Batman and TMNT. Oh and given that I was tired of ignoring and yelling at Narutards without foundations I went out of my way to read the Naruto manga and was pleasently surprised to actually find somthing I liked about it... but alas still not kinda selling me on it. It's just enjoyable.

I mean there have been others which are none too serious which still make me laugh, Ouran High School host club was just one big laugh I certainly could have done with. I still find the old series of Pokemon screamingly funny at the right moods. FLCL is slowly getting to me. Martian Sucessor Nadesico... (wtf srsly)

It's all hit and miss. Theres so many genres, so much diversity now within the medium.

Hell theres a Chinese Anime I'm quite fond of thats so obscure its about Cooking. I just remember we had a 'Chinese Channel' and it had subtitles and I thought it was awesome.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
miracleofsound said:
My better half gets very flustered by anime, she finds the entire aesthetic very creepy.

When she told me that I quickly made her watch Urotsukudoji... I'm a bastard I know but it was funny.
That's horrible. And hilarious.

Charli said:
As much as I like anime... I don't actively seek it out, they usually find me by way of reccommendations or borrowed from a friend. There are some I've absolutely detested, and some I've latched onto like a suger happy child latches onto an ice cream truck.
I recommend Hayate the Combat Butler, if you don't already watch/read it.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
miracleofsound said:

That's horrible. And hilarious.

It wasn't hilarious when she then made me watch Twilight, I think she was getting revenge.

Thankfully she fell asleep halfway through and I didn't have to see the end.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
I like certain anime because they have a good storyline...like Death Note. When I was watching that I was so hooked on what would happen next I couldn't stop watching. It also makes you think. I do hate to see anything like what 4kids does to anime or the horrible generic anime with bad voiceactors that america seems to love so much.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
I don't like all anime, Naruto for instance bores me, some anime however I adore.
Cowboy Bebop, Black lagoon and Hellsing are all great, I recommend them.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Ok, maybe somebody in this thread can explain something to me.

Akira. What was that all about?

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Saying I hate all anime would be very unlikeable and hate-speechy of me. So I'll say this: Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Keroro Gunso...
that's all I've seen and liked

EDIT: Fooly Cooly

The Ultimate 2

Lord Of Madness
May 13, 2009
I'm a little bit picky when it comes down to my favorite anime. Sometimes I like an anime because the story is top grade and has plenty of twists and some psychological moments to get you thinking (Death Note, Code Geass, xxxHolic, Case Closed) Sometimes I'm in the mood for action titles ( Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho DBZ Inuyasha) and other times I want some screw ball comedy (School Rumble, Bobobo,) but mostly my main weakness is anime with giant robots. But the plot has to at least keep me interested to make me see the story through to the end,( Eureka seven, Aquarion, Code Geass) But all in all as long as the story is good I'll give it a shot.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
I had a period back when i was 15 when i watched through all the DBZ movies and episodes, then after i was done with that i went back into hating anime pretty much.

I dont hate it for the stories or anything like that, some of them have really great set-ups, like Great Teacher Onizuka (or something like that), what i dont find appealing the least is the style they are drawn in.

And i know anime lovers claim them all to be different and they dont look the same...but guess what, they do, and i find it stupid, all the dumb faces, the use of the same picture for a couple of seconds with only 1-2 parts actually moving, i find it to be just lazy and dumb.

So all in all, i dont like Anime one bit, i dont find it entertaining at all.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
as long as the main character isn't annoying (Ex:Naruto) or the plot isn't completely retarded or confusing (Ex:Evangelion Neon Genisis, I had to watch through it a couple times to understand why the giant robots bleed before i figured it out) I'll watch it.

the_hessian

Jan 14, 2009
DBZ was really fun when I was 14... but now it's something to play drinking games to:
"Everytime someone goes AHHHHHHHHH!!! you take a shot, okies!"
Was quite possibly my best idea EVER!
Didn't cost much to get slaughtered that night...
Anyway, as I've grown older, though I haven't really grown up per say, I kind of prefer anime and manga with either an interesting storey like The Embalmer, Angel Sanctuary, Doll, or Beautiful People (I have a thing for the manga of Mitsukazumi Hara)

Or things with really bitching aesthetics like Alichino or Bizenghast

Or there's things that hit everything like Death Note, Paradise Kiss, Chobits, Wallflower, Legal Drug...

They don't all have to be serious... light hearted stuff is good too, I love Shojo manga... don't ask why, it appeals to my sensitive side.

But, that's all just hitting upon the manga side of things...
Anime I find is always best for either really nice sensitive stories like The Girl Who Lept Through Time, or Voices From a Distant Star; Shojo of course like Chobits, Shuffle, and the like...
But anime is best for the really bitching violent shonen things:
Akira, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, vampire hunter d bloodlust, hellsing, gungrave, trigun, neon genesis evangelion, cowboy beebop, samurai champloo, afro samurai, escaflowne, etc etc etc...

Of course then there's the really freaky deaky shizzle like studio Gibli, which I never used to like, but have really gotten into recently... Or Memories, which is by the guy that did ghost in the shell I think, and it's just WTF all the way through... Cromartie High School is the perfect example of the funny freaky stuff, it is the biggest mind-f**k you'll ever have while p***ing your pants with laughter...

It all just depends on what you're into or what you want out of it, like with films or books or games or anything in general really...
Think of what you like and find something that would be fitting to your tastes, if you end up not liking it then no big deal, but if you do like it then it's a gateway to possibly getting into more things...
Anime is just the medium, a specific stylised cartoon that is aesthetically pleasing, or atleast I think so...
It's kind of based on fashion illustration drawings and american cartoons, which is why it looks so odd and unhuman...
Anyway, hope it's been insightful... or even answered the question, I've forgotten what I was getting at completely, so I shall end here...

Goodnight all...