Anita Sarkeesian states that sexism against men is impossible

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Really? No institutionalized sexism against men?

You ever been in a custody battle? The odds are stacked so high against fathers it's insane. And not for any reason other then the idea that women make better parents and therefore the children should default to them.

I really hate what this has fucking become. Anita's already questionable and often misinformed views on sexism are only getting more and more radical, but because of the kind of reaction she elicits, that of violent and immediate rejection, people are still giving her increasingly fringe and biased ideas sway.

And whats worse is that, because of the bitter fighting and the media taking the "feminist" side each and every time regardless of who it is or what they've said, both sides of this debate have become the monsters their opponents were fighting against. Reasonable moderate people who have a problem with the extremism on one side often get sucked up and made extreme by the other.

We all know the kind of posts and rage that the feminists get, but it's often forgotten that there's entire legions and websites full of people like this as well:

Unfortunately, with the media and popular opinion what it is, this subject is basically poisoned; there's no good way to criticize behavior like that shown above without people jumping to the conclusion you're just some bigot. Much in the same way that it is now impossible to talk about the corruption, collusion and unspoken partnerships in gaming media without being labeled a "Gamergater", a controversy which, from what I've seen from looking at both sides, was never actually resolved in any meaningful way, rather one side just declared themselves victors and the media did as well.

At this point I think It's probably best to just ignore both sides. Like the satanic panic of the 1980's, their inflamed rhetoric will eventually collapse under it's own weight and then maybe we can have a conversation with some civility.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
EternallyBored said:
This thread was stupid the first time, and it's still stupid now. It's the same dumb power politics redefinition of racism/sexism that has existed since the 80's, it holds some minor academic value on macro level studies, but sociology and humanities majors pushing it on the general public is still dumb.

Anita pushing the view does not make her nearly as terribly sexist as you think though, this redefinition of sexism still acknowledges that men can face bigotry, hatred, and discrimination, the entire concept is just substituting the concept of institutional or societal macro level sexism for being the only definition of sexism.

Seriously, dragging up this month old dead topic was a bad idea, and this thread is just going to die in flames like the last one, I can only hope this one dies faster.
Thank goodness I was able to find someone who understands what she was saying. I was afraid I would need to read through pages of dictionary entries and "Well Actually".

Establishing new meanings for words as part of a different academic discussion is problematic, and Twitter is the wrong forum for academic discussions. I believe that the notion that sexism goes both ways is a false equivalency. There are people resentful of men, but their influence is of much less consequence than the older, more entrenched perceptions and treatment of women in the workplace.
If thats what she's actually saying, which you'd have to show me some proof of that being her actual intention for me to believe that, she really should say that. In all honesty, if she's really not as increasingly radical as she seems, she probably shouldn't be trying to express her supposedly complex ideas in 140 characters where they will always be misinterpreted.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Piecewise said:
ryukage_sama said:
EternallyBored said:
Thank goodness I was able to find someone who understands what she was saying. I was afraid I would need to read through pages of dictionary entries and "Well Actually".

Establishing new meanings for words as part of a different academic discussion is problematic, and Twitter is the wrong forum for academic discussions. I believe that the notion that sexism goes both ways is a false equivalency. There are people resentful of men, but their influence is of much less consequence than the older, more entrenched perceptions and treatment of women in the workplace.
If thats what she's actually saying, which you'd have to show me some proof of that being her actual intention for me to believe that, she really should say that. In all honesty, if she's really not as increasingly radical as she seems, she probably shouldn't be trying to express her supposedly complex ideas in 140 characters where they will always be misinterpreted.
Well, her tweet only points to the power that is lacking, and she never disputes the prejudice. An -ism (sexism, racism, capitalism, feminism) is a large, complex thing that frequently isn't agreed upon. The notion that "I know it when I see it" seems to rule the perspectives of many when it comes to labeling something as sexist or racist.

This is about defining labels, not morality. I for one agree that it would be helpful to differentiate between the realities that somebody won't think you're smart because you played football in college vs. a population choosing the political candidate that LOOKS more presidential than the other. Both are the result of bias, but the scales vastly differ.

I agree wholeheartedly that twitter is the wrong place to pontificate on complex ideas.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
For someone who is a big name feminist and makes public speeches and such, if she really meant something a bit deeper and more meaningful then what she just said, why didn't she say that. We know she's capable of doing so, word limits on twitter don't help, but that's why it's really not a place for discussions like this.

This is why people need to be clear on what they mean with statements like this, and once again, why twitter is not the platform for these kinds of messages.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
crypticracer said:
Lightknight said:
where you take sexism to mean "gender-based discrimination"
Yes, the dictionary definition of the word. The actual definition of the word.

1. She is wrong. The article she linked is not Merriam Webster. It is not an authoritative source in defining terms.
Um no. There is no authorative source on the meaning of words in America. Dictionaries use and add definitions as they are being used. They do not create definitions.
Neither does Anita, but the dictionaries contradict her, and they're a better source so she's wrong. She's not just redefining a term she's also ignoring all the existing established definitions.

crypticracer said:
[
How the word is used decides what it means. You DON'T get to make up what she meant just because you hate her. This entire thread exists because of your hate on for a woman you don't know, because she says things you make up.
Nope. Even if we take her definition of sexism, she's still wrong. There can, has been and currently still is institutionalized sexism against men in some form.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
The fuck? How can these people claim to be for equality then go say shit like that? It boggles my mind.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
ryukage_sama said:
I believe that the notion that sexism goes both ways is a false equivalency. There are people resentful of men, but their influence is of much less consequence than the older, more entrenched perceptions and treatment of women in the workplace.
Sexism against men is more than just 'being resentful of men' and it goes beyond the workplace. But there's been women CEOs/employers sued for being sexist against men. I can find example if you wish.

The draft in the US in other countries is still men only. It may not be used anytime soon but it has in the past, and I'd say that it was a pretty big instance of sexism against men. But nowadays it's still that way and I can't think of ANY law in the US that discriminates against women. So if it were a false equivalency it wouldn't be in the direction you were thinking of (and don't give me the highly disputed wage gap when it's been illegal to discriminate pay for decades).

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
So I'm supposed to have power? Where is it? I've been trying to get a decent job since I graduated and I haven't gotten anything that pays more than minimum wage.

To be honest, I'd like to live in her world... guys seem to be doing alright over there.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
WhiteNachos said:
ryukage_sama said:
I believe that the notion that sexism goes both ways is a false equivalency. There are people resentful of men, but their influence is of much less consequence than the older, more entrenched perceptions and treatment of women in the workplace.
Sexism against men is more than just 'being resentful of men' and it goes beyond the workplace. But there's been women CEOs/employers sued for being sexist against men. I can find example if you wish.

The draft in the US in other countries is still men only. It may not be used anytime soon but it has in the past, and I'd say that it was a pretty big instance of sexism against men. But nowadays it's still that way and I can't think of ANY law in the US that discriminates against women. So if it were a false equivalency it wouldn't be in the direction you were thinking of (and don't give me the highly disputed wage gap when it's been illegal to discriminate pay for decades).
Under Sarkeesian's interpretation and terminology, the women were prejudiced against men, and would rightfully be sued under the same laws.

I agree that the draft has been unjust. The issue is that the military is still trying to update their policies regarding women soldiers. It was only within the last two years that women were even allowed to participate in warfare on the front lines. Military protocol is and has been so out of date that drafting women was and remains a logistical nightmare. Hopefully, progress continues to update the U.S. armed forces' structure to make full use of the potential of its women in uniform. Perhaps one day women will be incorporated into the draft, but the men who run the military don't want that to happen yet and aren't ready for it. In the meantime, they can work on the rampant sexual assaults that take place against both women and men.

Regardless, it seems far-fetched that at system run by men, as the US military is, and its draft policy is an example of power in the hands of women to use against men. It is a sexist determination that only men are capable of warfare, but that determination was made by the men with power, not the women who aren't part of military command.

In regards to your supposition that unfair pay is impossible due to its illegality, it was point in place for the very reason that it was a problem. That problem has not been fixed overnight. The wage gap is closing, but the notion that women are paid equally isn't supported by statistics I've read. The gap isn't as high as 30% as some alarmists claim it to be, but taking more dynamic factors like hours worked and career choices into account still puts the figure closer to 7%. The only source I've read that claims the gap is negligible was and editorial, so not a peer reviewed report, from someone at the American Enterprise Institute, a self-described neo-conservative think tank.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
ryukage_sama said:
WhiteNachos said:
ryukage_sama said:

Under Sarkeesian's interpretation and terminology, the women were prejudiced against men, and would rightfully be sued under the same laws.

I agree that the draft has been unjust. The issue is that the military is still trying to update their policies regarding women soldiers. It was only within the last two years that women were even allowed to participate in warfare on the front lines. Military protocol is and has been so out of date that drafting women was and remains a logistical nightmare. Hopefully, progress continues to update the U.S. armed forces' structure to make full use of the potential of its women in uniform. Perhaps one day women will be incorporated into the draft, but the men who run the military don't want that to happen yet and aren't ready for it. In the meantime, they can work on the rampant sexual assaults that take place against both women and men.

Regardless, it seems far-fetched that at system run by men, as the US military is, and its draft policy is an example of power in the hands of women to use against men. It is a sexist determination that only men are capable of warfare, but that determination was made by the men with power, not the women who aren't part of military command.
Who says sexism has to come from the opposite sex? Men can be sexist against men and women can be sexist against women.

ryukage_sama said:
In regards to your supposition that unfair pay is impossible due to its illegality,
Not my point, I was trying to say that the wage gap wasn't a fair comparison to legal inequality (being treated differently by the law). I kind of jumped the gun and assumed you were going to bring up the wage gap in response. My apologies.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
WhiteNachos said:
Who says sexism has to come from the opposite sex? Men can be sexist against men and women can be sexist against women.
I've commented earlier that this is a semantic argument. Sarkeesian, who is not alone in academic circles, wants a narrower definition of this particular -ism. She doesn't propose that men can't be treated unfairly, simply that such slights don't fall under her proposed narrow definition of sexism, which would require that such unfair practices be entrenched and systemic rather than isolated events. The only change to your statement would be that "sexist" be replaced by "prejudiced" in some cases. As I said previously, the draft is sexist. Sarkeesian would agree since this policy extends from the entrenched male power structure. Of course, feel free to disagree with her diction.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
ryukage_sama said:
WhiteNachos said:
I've commented earlier that this is a semantic argument. Sarkeesian, who is not alone in academic circles, wants a narrower definition of this particular -ism. She doesn't propose that men can't be treated unfairly, simply that such slights don't fall under her proposed narrow definition of sexism, which would require that such unfair practices be entrenched and systemic rather than isolated events. The only change to your statement would be that "sexist" be replaced by "prejudiced" in some cases. As I said previously, the draft is sexist. Sarkeesian would agree since this policy extends from the entrenched male power structure. Of course, feel free to disagree with her diction.
So to be clear, even under Anita's definition we agree that sexism against men is possible?

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
thaluikhain said:
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
It isn't just Anita saying this, this is the consensus within feminism.
Uh, no. Perhaps certain elements of it, but feminism (as a whole) has little in the way of consensus about anything.
Quite a large and vocal part though. It's not even just feminism, the whole "prejudice + power" argument is used by racists, sexists, and other bigots.

Some lovely examples that may make you question your sanity (check the reblogs and comments if you want to be convinced its real, no satire is that consistent):

http://diariesofaglaswegianoddity.tumblr.com/post/91214410590/what-sjw-would-ever-go-as-far-to-say-that-the

http://vimeo.com/64112115

https://archive.today/phSX2

https://archive.today/3xidb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GQO7iV_Q4&t=2m30s

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
You only appear to have read point #1 of my response to Zeconte and stopped, maybe even at the first sentence without looking any further. Had you actually bothered to read point #2 you would have seen me moving on to discuss why Anita's actual statement is still wrong and still sexist even when accepting the meaning she is trying to use.
crypticracer said:
Um no. There is no authorative source on the meaning of words in America. Dictionaries use and add definitions as they are being used. They do not create definitions.
There are multiple sources that are deemed as academically accepted dictionaries that define the meaning of words. The blog of an Asian Studies major is not one of them yet that is the one that Anita cited for why she was defining the term in that way. I understand that some feminists have attempted to redefine and miss-use the term sexism to further their own narrative. I consider this action to be a travesty. An attempt to rob individuals who have suffered at the hand sexism from being part of the discussion of sexism purely because they are male.

Understand this, them attempting to redefine sexism as requiring the power to cause harm with the prejudice isn't in and of itself purely unreasonable. It's that Anita is using this definition to say that sexism (prejudice + power) cannot happen to men, that it does not exist, because society is largely controlled by men. This both trivializes the power and influence in society that real women have in society as well as bearing implications that a man facing the same sexism that a woman faces is not as bad. That a man not getting a job because he is male isn't as bad as a female not getting a job because she is female. Both are sexist. Both are prejudice + power being carried out and it is ridiculous of Anita to claim that one isn't but the other is just because one is a man.

Additionally, because sexism does have a commonly accepted and defined meaning outside of their personal sphere, trying to create a definition in which men cannot be affected by the term "sexism" actually has meanings outside of just what these people may be trying to convey. It would be like males trying to redefine something like rape to be male specific in a way that it wouldn't apply to women leaving women to have to call the action "sexual assault". That would be incredibly poorly received and anyone trying to do so would be seen as scum. Why is it acceptable when the same sort of thing happens to victims of sexism just because they're male?

How the word is used decides what it means.
How a word is commonly defined decides what the word means. Dictionaries are sources that collect and define the commonly used words.

If I tell you that the unicorn is a grand and mysterious place and you look at me confused, just because I tell you that I consider the word "unicorn" as synonymous with the word "Universe" doesn't make my usage of it correct. It still has meaning to people and me using it improperly doesn't change that and may have adverse implications when said to people who don't define the word the way I do.

You DON'T get to make up what she meant just because you hate her.
Two things here:
1. I'm not making up what she meant. I am addressing what she meant and criticizing the implications of it. You would know that if you'd bothered to read the post I made before only responding to the first sentence of my points. As to the part you are complaining about, I am also criticizing the attempt to redefine a commonly defined term in a way that robs victims of sexism from even being able to define it as such.

2. I don't hate Anita Sarkeesian. I do not wish her ill. I don't even want her to shut up. I appreciate the conversations her controversy sparks and want women to be able to enjoy video games and to be part of the video game creation process. I want stronger female characters and to make writing in gaming better. Whether she is genuine or not in her work I am grateful that this has become an issue to discuss. What I do want to be able to do is have an open and intellectual conversation about a topic she brought up. If you assumed that I somehow hate her then the guilt for that sort of bias is on your hands, not mine. I think some of her comments are sexist but this is the first time I've seen where she's far crossed the line. But there are very few people I would ever consider worthy of hatred and those are mostly murders and people who would harm children. Anita isn't even close. She says really sexist things from time to time and has espoused some seriously poor arguments that are worthy of criticism. But any hate she has received and particularly any actual harassment (only saying actual because she has called criticism harassment which isn't true) are entirely unwarranted in my book.

because she says things you make up.
No, I have explained explicitly two things in this thread. I'd appreciate it if you'd consider reading the following points and evaluate both of them in their entirety. This time, so that you don't get caught up in the first sentence of my point on semantics I'll move that to number 2 and bring my criticism of what Anita actually meant up to number 1.

1. Even if we entirely accept her definition that you are defending, there are multiple problems:

A. I would debate against the notion that women don't have significant power or control at the higher social and government level. Not only do we see the likes of Hilary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kaganm and Ruth Bader Ginsburg at the highest echelons of government, but we regularly see laws in clear support of equality for people of all races and genders being written into law through the efforts of both these female leaders and male leaders who support their cause. It isn't enough just for men to be in power for sexism against females to be the norm. The males who are in charge also themselves have to be sexist. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of men support equality with their votes and words. Regardless of what people believe in private, any step of sexism or racism is generally met with public outrage and is generally considered political suicide. Society itself is on the side of equality by a fair margin. As best as I can tell, the only thing that seems to be lagging is equality in marriage which again, the powers that be, are wading into it and overturning policies that were voted into law. So what area is she talking about that women haven't gained power in yet? Does she require that women be exactly 50% in control or higher before any sexism+power can take place? If it is merely as defined, then any power in the system allows room for sexism and women clearly have that and are only getting more and more in power every day (and good for that, let's please not forget that I am personally very pro-equality. My being here is because Anita is being anti-equality by what she said. She is being sexist.).

B. Males absolutely reinforce sexism against other males too. Society itself which women do affect greatly does reinforce sexism against other males too. She is trivializing and dismissing the sort of extreme sexism we can absolutely face and that's unethical of her to do.

C. On the more macro level of power+prejudice, some women do have power and some men genuinely have no power in ways that should meet the term's requirements in the way Anita is using it. Let's think about the extremes here. Is a female CEO capable of being sexist (Anita's Definition) towards men? She certainly has power, if she is prejudiced against males and let's that bleed into the areas she has control over then how wouldn't that meet the definition. How about a homeless man on the street? Is he capable of being sexist (Anita's Definition)? Is she claiming that the homeless man on the street has power and is privileged just because he was born a man? If so, that's her being sexist (actual real definition of sexism).

2. The article she (Anita Sarkeesian: https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/533768948185972736) linked in defense of why she believes a non-standard definition of the term is not Merriam Webster. It is not an authoritative source in defining terms. It is apparently written by a blogger named Andrea Rubenstein who went by the name of Tekanji online. She seems to have retired from writing but has also recently made two posts this year (one to Intel for removing their ads). While the other work I've seen Tekanji write is eloquent and intellectual, she is not in charge of defining terms. She does not get to take existing terms with pre-existing social connotations and decide that the way everyone uses them don't fit her own personal narrative and so she thinks it should mean "X". She has a BA in Asian Area Studies, studied Japanese, and as of 2008 had just finished 4 years in computer programming (the article Anita linked was in 2007).

Now, while she is an excellent writer and I might really enjoy her work (if I could find any games she's written on), she is not any kind of actual definition authority or scholar in the area of feminism. She cares about feminism and makes clear points in my opinion, but this is some person who basically decided that from now on the word "Universe" will be replaced with "Unicorn" because they like that more but here it's because the term change suits her agenda of being able to make sexist comments towards men without being called a sexist.

She also distinguishes between gender based prejudice and sexism. Implying that she is also trying to change the traditional meaning of the term sexism. That a woman can commit an act of "gender based prejudice" but because she's doing it to men then it's not sexism because men are privileged by the system in Anita's eyes. In a way, this is victim blaming. "Oh, she treated you poorly because you're a man? Well of course she did, you're a man. That's not sexism." That's simply incoherently offensive and should not be defended by anyone supporting equality.

Your an idiot.
And I'm sure you're a delightful person when you're not all up in arms. You could, instead of resorting to insults, calm down and try to have an honest non-confrontational discussion with me and see whether or not I'm some kind of hate monger-er bent on Anita's silence or some such strawman. Or if I really just care about equality and consider the sort of rhetoric she used and the argument she espoused to be sexist and counter-productive in the pursuit of said equality.

Maybe we could both grow from an adult conversation and critical thinking by working together here, eh?

(I did not link those saying they were authoritive. I linkedthem to show Feminists who do use that definition and how they define it to help others understand what Anita meant. But since most people have been making up what she's saying since she first appeared, it's pointless. Keep fighting people for saying things they didn't, but don't pretend your actually doing anything.)
*I wasn't responding to you linking feminism101. I was responding to Anita linking to that blog as to why she said what she said. You two just happened to link to the same place so perhaps that's why you thought I was responding to you specifically.

Korica

Mar 3, 2012
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Lightknight said:
It isn't just Anita saying this, this is the consensus within feminism.
As a feminist ... no. No it isn't.

And saying that it is as just as detrimental to feminism as the people who say stuff like this. Which is why I only mostly support Anita. Most of the time she's spot on, and then sometimes she says crap like this.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Will someone just give her the "D" already so she can shut up about nonexistent female oppression and we can all go back to living happy gamer lives? Either that or someone needs to smack her privileged make-up and hoop earring wearing face and tell her that life shits on everyone, not just women. Perhaps that simp McIntosh should be the one to do it, after all he's pretty much her slave at this point, although given his pathetic track record I think his balls have all but reformed into a v-zone.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Er...no, that's not it at all. The idea simply seems to be that the problems are different when the weight of society is behind them.
Except that's not what's being said here.

There's a difference between saying "There is inequality in consequence between and in general" and "Existing inequality says consequence cannot happen to <X/Y>."

I also find it a dangerous attitude to encourage, but I won't bore you with what is effectively a slippery slope.

EDIT: Well, I wasn't going to demonstrate the slippery slope, and now I don't have to.

crypticracer said:
The reason many like to use the Anita versions of sexism is because their opponents. Most of you. Use terms like sexism and racism simply to further devalue the arguments of minority groups.

This definition of Sexism (and similarily Racism) is used by many. The right co-opts these terms to lessen their impact and make sure they read to include those in power. Basically, no one is allowed to have anything, even an -ism, if the poor white male can't have it. You taking the term makes it more difficult for groups to fight against institutionalised prejudice. There are real battles out there to control the meaning of words.

Would you have been fine with her post if she had just added instituional? No. You still would have been upset about it. Your argument would have been slightly different as you couldn't have gone with the weak argument of semantics, which achieves only to deter real discussions.

The sexism that permeates culture today was created by, and to benefit, men.

In an alternate world where there is just one man and one woman, then sure. It's possible for a woman to be sexist against men. But that's not the world we live in. The majority of power (by far) is in the hands of men all over the world (and throughout history) and any prejudiced ideologies that work against men, were created by other men as continued sexism against women. Men weren't sent to war to deny them something. Women were not allowed to go to war because they would be a liability to the men. So that is an example of sexism, against women.

There are real reasons why this definition of sexism deserves to be the most used. Same with racism. But since you have no desire for equality you will simply continue to argue semantics in an attempt to make all conversations about your problems. That's your right. But don't pretend it's to fight inequality.
Right here, this is the exact kind of presumptuous, misinformed, and disgusting attitude that I'm warning against.

This is what happens when you indulge self-pity to the point where you can only feel indignant self-righteous anger at anyone that even RESEMBLES your opposition; regardless if they've actually done anything to you or not.

At that point, there are is only "Them" and "Us". "Those people".

That's why, right from the start, there's a sweeping presumption of blame and guilt; even where it's self-contradictory.

Notice the accusation of "you have no desire for equality" is being used as support for an argument THAT ITSELF IS CREATING AN INEQUALITY IN ITS OWN DEFINITION.

That's insanity.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
thaluikhain said:
As mentioned last time this came up here, she is very clearly talking about institutionalised sexism. Yes, she's having trouble expressing a complicated issue inside the confines of twitter.
Then she shouldn't try and talk about it on Twitter. She has any number of other means on the internet to talk about it, so why use Twitter if she thought that her point would lose something due to the character limit?

MysticSlayer said:
That's not what she said. She said that society, as a whole, has tended to favor men being in power. That doesn't mean women can't get into power or that men can't be in unfortunate situations, but as a whole, society tends to put men in a better place. Acting like her words are suddenly a claim that women can never reach power isn't that different than people claiming that scientists are claiming it will never get cold anywhere on Earth because of global warming.
She's boiled it down to a math equation, mate. If prejudice + power = sexism, and women can't be sexist towards men, then they either lack the ability to be prejudiced, or they lack any power.

MysticSlayer said:
She never said that there there couldn't be misandry. She said that that prejudice means very little in the absence of power.
That's an awfully caustic way to think. Such strong, negative thinking isn't somehow better because the one doing it isn't in a position to affect people on a large scale.

MysticSlayer said:
How is it misandry? OK, with your twisted version of what she said it might come across as misandry, but like I said, you're twisting her words, so it doesn't mean much.
But you're adding so much more to what she said when she deliberately used a medium that has a low character limit. Just because she didn't use a lot of words to say it doesn't give her words any more depth than what we can see in black and white.

MysticSlayer said:
I'm not entirely sure, but it probably comes from the way discussions regarding sexism and racism have shifted. Racism and sexism often don't describe single acts of discrimination. They are describing how institutions (i.e. society) leaves certain groups at a disadvantage. The problem with this element of racism and sexism is that it is significantly harder to deal with, since you can't simply point at a few people and say, "Don't give them power and we'll never deal with sexism again." If racism and sexism are ingrained into the society, then everyone in that society potentially has discriminatory viewpoints, and it is on everyone to analyze their own worldview and actions and deal with discriminatory aspects of them.
I see what you're getting at, but the terms 'institutionalized racism/sexism' is more what you're looking for. That's when racism/sexism is ingrained in a culture/society/whatever.

MysticSlayer said:
But with all that said: Yes, a woman can show hate towards a man under the simple pretext of him being a man. But no, that does not mean that we just suddenly act like sexism, as far as society is concerned, is somehow just as bad for men. It's incredibly gendered, and men, as a whole, are in a significantly better position than the other genders.
At least as far as this Tweet is concerned, that was never the issue. She said, in no uncertain terms, that sexism towards men doesn't exist. Not that women suffer more frequent consequences of it, or that it's more institutionally ingrained towards women. She said that it doesn't exist for men. Absolutes are a pretty dangerous thing, but she seems pretty eager to use them.

MysticSlayer said:
Granted, the fact that we are now starting to see the way men are harmed by sexist views of women may do some good in getting more men to care about these issues.
I think I know what you're trying to say here, but that logic still brings everything back to "sexism towards men doesn't exist."

Think of it like this: I've seen discussions of domestic violence towards men. Some of the main problems discussed are the tendency of first-responders to assume that the male was the aggressor, to say nothing of the very-real possibility that they simply won't respond to calls from a man reporting domestic abuse. And similarly, that there's virtually no formal safety net for men in situations like that. There's no 'Battered Men's Shelters' or anything like that, at least not in any numbers worth noting. But at that point in the discussion, someone declared that (and I'm paraphrasing as best I can) all of those things are more signs of the plight of women in a sexist society, that there are no shelters for men because society thinks women only need them because they're the weaker sex, and that police responding to domestic violence calls never assume the woman was the aggressor because they're so set in the mindset of women being weak and submissive.

It's around that point when I can't help but compare the person writing to...well, the aggressor in a case of domestic violence who, after viciously beating their significant other, angrily screams, "Look what you made me do!"

I realize that this is anecdotal evidence and you're free to disregard the event itself on that basis, but at least think if you've seen similar cases. Or if the perspective I was trying to paint makes any sense.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
my apologies, I didn't see your earlier post and misinterpreted your other post to mean you agreed with the picture

anyway back on the topic of Anita's tweet, people say the character limit was what caused this confusion?

institutionalized sexism does not affect men, because men are the dominant gender in society
got it in less than 100, I find it hard to believe she didn't mean exactly what she said

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Yep, twitter is the tool of the devil (along with instagram, you know it's true)

I'm a firm believer of "don't say shite", this is a prime example.