Anita Sarkeesian states that sexism against men is impossible

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
WhiteNachos said:
She linked to an article in a follow up tweet saying that gender based prejudice is not the same thing as sexism. So she's redefining the term sexism. But even under her wrong definition saying "there's no such thing as sexism against men" is still not true. If she wanted to say that there isn't as much institutionalized sexism against men she should've said that, but saying "there's no such thing" means there is 0 institutionalized sexism against men
I'm not going to go around searching for the tweet and article. Mind providing a link since you already know what you're talking about?
I believe they're referring to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/533768948185972736

She posted this in response to everyone's shock that she would say men can't be victims of sexism carried out against them. She didn't say, "Oh, I was talking in generalities". No, she bunkered down and reinforced it with some bogus "Finallyfeminism" article like it was Merriam Fucking Webster. But I guess dictionaries are hard, am I right?

She is literally saying that gender based prejudice is only sexism if you were born as a member of the gender that she believes is in power. How is the sexism of this not immediately apparent. This DOES mean that women can't commit sexism, that they can only ever commit "gender based prejudices" and that is somehow different to her for some reason. It entirely ignores the idea that there are nigh-infinite different institutions all with their own distinct power distributions rather than some vague faceless system under which everyone silently obeys. What's more is the "institution" has been able to put laws in place to counter most institutional prejudices by making doing so illegal and the ramifications enforceable. It begs the question of exactly how prejudiced a system is when the system makes various forms of discrimination illegal.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Lightknight said:
MysticSlayer said:
WhiteNachos said:
She linked to an article in a follow up tweet saying that gender based prejudice is not the same thing as sexism. So she's redefining the term sexism. But even under her wrong definition saying "there's no such thing as sexism against men" is still not true. If she wanted to say that there isn't as much institutionalized sexism against men she should've said that, but saying "there's no such thing" means there is 0 institutionalized sexism against men
I'm not going to go around searching for the tweet and article. Mind providing a link since you already know what you're talking about?
I believe they're referring to this tweet:

She posted this in response to everyone's shock that she would say men can't be victims of sexism carried out against them. She didn't say, "Oh, I was talking in generalities". No, she bunkered down and reinforced it with some bogus "Finallyfeminism" article like it was Merriam Fucking Webster.
That's the one.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
I love how the people defending her on this are bending backwards to redefine what she "might have meant" with that tweet instead of reading the tweet as it stands there.

She didnt mention any institutional sexism, she didnt mention any special kind of sexism. In her very first sentence she flat out stated: "There is no such thing as sexism against males" End of story. The rest of her post was just a backwards logic attempt of justifiying her braindead opinion.

And people like that get to air on mainstream media in the US... that shit is priceless....

The biggest nation in the world... and people like her air on the news. Bravo US of A

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I think anyone that's using the "institutionalised" or "prejudice + power" definitions are missing the point.

Sexism IS NOT the prejudice of one gender by another. It is any kind of gender-based prejudice.

I am of the belief that most sexism towards males comes from other males (as men, for one reason or another have the greatest effect on western culture, though you can dispute that if you wish).

Similarly, women can be sexist towards other women (something I see frequently in sex-negative forms of feminism, for example).

People trying to divide sexism up just makes the problem more difficult to identify and address. Sexism breeds sexism, you won't be able to get rid of it unless you take a holistic approach to it.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Lightknight said:
MysticSlayer said:
WhiteNachos said:
MysticSlayer said:
Lightknight said:
I find this to be terribly sexist. Implying that all women are powerless and all men are in power
That's not what she said. She said that society, as a whole, has tended to favor men being in power.
No. She said "There?s no such thing as sexism against men"

Why do you feel the need to backpedal on her behalf? People can be wrong once in a while.
Lightnight said: "Implying that all women are powerless and all men are in power."

Anita said: "Men are the dominant gender with power in society."

OK, maybe he can hide behind the word "Implying",
She said that there is no such thing as sexism against men. If there is no such thing then there must be no institution in which women are in control or else sexism against men would exist. Furthermore, and I will clarify this every time I respond to this part of the discussion, I utterly reject her notion that sexism requires power. An utterly powerless man, a hobbo on the street with no legs, can be sexist against a woman just as easily as anyone else. To follow her insane definition of sexism would be to rule out genuinely sexist individuals who have no personal power whenever we look into the situation any deeper on any meaningful level.
I already went into this in my response to the original post, going through the institutionalized sexism and her overemphasis on it. If you want more, that post is on the first page I believe, but I don't have time to restate everything again.

Feminists say things like this all the time,
That doesn't justify them or her saying it. This is you committing a fallacy.
And you took my comment out of context. I said this in order to point out that the meaning behind her comment should be clear enough if you follow feminist writing, as it turns up a lot there. I did not say it in order to defend her position, only that others should put more effort into understanding it, as it doesn't require a lot of effort to begin with.

1. How are we twisting her words? She says that there is no such thing as sexism against men. You have to twist her words for it not to be that. In followup to her tweet she continues to justify that men (individuals) still suffer because sexism exists even if they can't be on the receiving end of sexism themselves. How do you think it is being twisted when she backs up what she said?
In this case, "power" is holding a place in society where the prejudice can do actual damage to people, and right after that she points out that men possess far more power than the other genders. Both you and WhiteNachos have pretty much left this out of any response to her comment, and considering its importance to her comment, you aren't so much addressing her as your version of what she says.

2. What do you believe she is actually saying? That society itself, the powers that be, are sexist against females and not males? That because there are more males in power that sexism can only lean towards females even though males routinely act kinder towards females at the cost of other males?
Note: Acting kindly is not a sign you aren't a sexist.

After that, this is another place, where I've already responded to it. I'll just place it here, since this is the second time I've had to bring it up:

Me said:
I'm not entirely sure, but it probably comes from the way discussions regarding sexism and racism have shifted. Racism and sexism often don't describe single acts of discrimination. They are describing how institutions (i.e. society) leaves certain groups at a disadvantage. The problem with this element of racism and sexism is that it is significantly harder to deal with, since you can't simply point at a few people and say, "Don't give them power and we'll never deal with sexism again." If racism and sexism are ingrained into the society, then everyone in that society potentially has discriminatory viewpoints, and it is on everyone to analyze their own worldview and actions and deal with discriminatory aspects of them.

The thing is, then it isn't to justify Anita's position. If sexism is a problem with society's view of women, then you aren't far from finding a way to justify saying that men can't face it. Yes, men can face the problems associated with sexism, but the sexism itself, at least as society is concerned, is directed towards women.

Now, there is a lot of merit in understanding the underlying problems in society and viewing discrimination as more of a society problem rather than just "Y said something bad about X." It at least gives us an underlying explanation to the discrimination that we see in studies. With that said, activists like Sarkeesian are so shit at explaining this that no one would actually know that's what they are talking about. Instead, they choose to use terms that have one meaning in one circle and a different meaning in another, and it just leads to confusion like this.

But with all that said: Yes, a woman can show hate towards a man under the simple pretext of him being a man. But no, that does not mean that we just suddenly act like sexism, as far as society is concerned, is somehow just as bad for men. It's incredibly gendered, and men, as a whole, are in a significantly better position than the other genders. Granted, the fact that we are now starting to see the way men are harmed by sexist views of women may do some good in getting more men to care about these issues.
Yeah, I ramble a little bit, but I don't have time to clean it up.

Lightknight said:
Thanks. I'll try to get around to that later. Again, I don't have much time right now. Hopefully, I have time later. (Sorry, end of semester. You can probably imagine what my schedule is like now, but I don't want to leave people hanging.)

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
I think it would be awesome if one day all the people that didn't like Sarkeesian just stopped paying attention to her.

No more rape threats, no more copy-pasting her blogs.

No more acting like she had any impact on the gaming industry.

No more gamers shitting themselves over the looming threat of EA bringing her in for Mirror's Edge 2.

No more pointless petitions.

She's a pundit, same as Bill o' Riley. And like Papa Bear, she feeds off of hatred. Hatred makes her famous, the hate is where most of her attention comes from. Ever hear the old saying, "Don't feed the troll"?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Queen Michael said:
She's wrong. According to the Merriam-Webster, sexism is "unfair treatment of people because of their sex." At no point does it say it has to include power. I'm a feminist, but I'm a feminist who knows how to look things up in a dictionary.
A quick visit to my local Larousse (my French dictionary) only compounds that fact.

I'm not the manliest of men, but I'm not exactly gayer than a tree full of chickadees, either. I'm a guy who wears his emotions more openly than most other men, a 31 year-old guy who's unashamed to say that he has at least two or three good crying sessions per year. I can't "man up" so much as I can repress whatever's causing me distress, but I WILL need to let it out at some point. It's always been natural to me.

The problem is, being a guy who's moved by certain movies or albums or who was moved to tears after watching "Cosmos: A Spacetime Oddyssey" is perceived as weird by most other guys. I don't fit in with my cousins' hockey-watching, beer-swilling, casual gay slur-tossing routines. I'm not a "guys' guy" or a man's man.

Try getting a job in manual labor with that kind of attitude. Try discussing what matters to you with people that have more concrete considerations. Worse still, just try and sell the concept of Higher Education as being masculine in a context where most of everyone in my maternal family barely has their high school degree.

Guys can be targeted by sexism, believe you me. If you're a guy and you don't happen to reinforce the standard tenets of a Man's Man without having the excuse of having come out or of being observably gay, in my experience, you're stuck in a social No Man's Land where only other socially awkward types ever qualify as decent friends.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Lately I can't even browse these forums without seeing some kind of Anita or GG thread that goes on for several pages. My site visits have dropped off dramatically as a result.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
WhiteNachos said:
How the hell is "men are pedophiles" a patriarchal stereotype?
This is not the stereotype, no one explicitly believes that. The stereotypes is that it is women's role to take care of the household and children, and men's to do everything else, so if one would choose the former, there is something wrong with him.

Maybe he is just gay (which is one step removed from pedophile, anyways). Or generally very submissive. In either case, it's weird and icky and not to be trusted.

The implication that he must be a pedophile, is one step removed from that.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Entitled said:
WhiteNachos said:
How the hell is "men are pedophiles" a patriarchal stereotype?
This is not the stereotype, no one explicitly believes that. The stereotypes is that it is women's role to take care of the household and children, and men's to do everything else, so if one would choose the former, there is something wrong with him.
The airlines are not doing this because they expect female passengers to take care of other people's children. It's because they are afraid the men might molest the kids

Edit: Wikipedia has some good sources on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_sex_discrimination_policy_controversy

Nov 24, 2010
Balimaar said:
One of my mates was on a short domestic flight and the way the tickets/seating worked out he was placed next to an unaccompanied child.

My mate (male btw) was forced to move from his seat coz rules on that airline apparently say men cant be seated next to unacommpanied children.

Perfectly fine for women to be put next to said children tho.

longer stuff thats backroundy in the spoilers

and why is that the case? Because of the idea that
1. women are intrinsically better at caring(because uterus?) for Kids and also
2.are less violent and delicate.
Also
3.because maleness is linked to sexual virility, advertisement and culture suggest that a man has to be able to fuck all(literally) and must want it all the time, always horny
(therefore the idea is a man cannot be raped by a woman-only if he is a child maybe. Even in some of those cases, young boy, early teens, one doenst try to search long to read or hear a "you should be lucky, having sex with a hot woman"
Or worse, laughter because a man must be strong, therefore if he was not strong enough to fend her off, he must have wanted it.(which is fucking disguisting victimblaming suick bullshit.)
, while women are more romantic and need to be persuaded for sex, upp to the point of being asexual and only doing it for love (unless they´re sluts..)*, their viginity often(depends on society) of worth to them, something not given lightly, the first time important while some guys i´ve done tried to just get it over with bu feel "like a man".

add to that medias intererest in scary guys like fritzel(such stuff sells well) and cases where neglecting children lead to very bad shit and you have this case, where people think" better safe than sorry"
(but thats not discrimination. Ist distrust and must feel like shit, but he wasnt barred from using that service, or legally forbidden to use it..)

Add to that that a really big number of known/reported childrapits and else are by fact men( but I assume higher numbers than reported for female abusers, especially in the case of children. The mothermyth is a pretty real thing, assuming that your mother hates you, harms you is very taboo.
-but one can gauge, by measuring the extremes of shock displayed by media everytime a mother kills her children, how deeply ingraind the idea of mother=angelic warm and caring asexual thing is. (which is deeply.)

BUT.. as i asked-

please tell me, where does it come from? Is it something "feminists" said?
-well, some, yeah.
-> there is a subgroup of feminism which is a bit esotheric, mother nature and such stuff, spirituality and talking about female essence, which might subscribe to such stuff. Also very early feminists also positioned themselves in that way, fighting for the right to be considered citizen, but not necessary equality.

but the mother myth, the woman as sensitive, empathetical otherworldly thing ("the other." there is a recurring motif in that btw) comes out of old books, the idea of the woman as the caring, often sacrificing, altruistic empathetical being, existing to be there for their men and children, not being intelligent or such, but being important because of feelings(while men are important because of ability) is an old idea you find in roman society and then like from 17something, (earlier religious scholars)authors and philosophers wrote books about the nature of women..(well i read only about some german ones. scary enough.Like rousseaus idea of the ideal woman in a book is pretty scary shit. Kant and schiller wrote some tacky stuff as well, but I dont have the book in which the page and title are noted. so only rousseau, hes a bit known for that stuff.

like "but let mothers deign to nurse their children, morals will reform themselves, nature?s sentiments will be awakened in every heart, the state will be repeopled!(emile, on education, i regarded as the first philosophy of education for the west, i think.) or his idea that women should be ?passive and weak,? ?put up little resistance? and are ?made specially to please man.?(s 385) or ?Always justify the burdens you impose upon girls but impose them anyway[...]They must be thwarted from an early age[...]They must be exercised to constraint, so that it costs them nothing to stifle all their fantasies to submit them to the will of others.?

Rousseau changed a lot. His insistance on motherhood, breastfeeding etc lead to the development of the mother, at home caring for her children (well earlier the parents often gave the children away to nannies or shippe them away to relatives, gave them to the church or such.) That helped for this mothermotif
Also nice was reading the opinon which Thomas Henry Huxley "Darwin's bulldog", wrote privately to his friend, geologist Charles Lyell "Five-sixths of women will stop in the doll stage of evolution, to be the stronghold of parsonism, the drag on civilisation, the degradation of every important pursuit in which they mix themselves ? intrigues in politics and friponnes in science."

so. this idea is an idea that men instilled, in time where men wrote book, did art, did the thinking. (well women started, if they had the privilege of money. Women did a lot of things too. But got forgotten quickly.)

yeah, like earlier it was the other way around. religious figures in christianity said the women was sexual, deviant, uncontrollable, not intelligent or mature, capable enought to have herself under control, so the man, head of the house, the entity which was capable of showing restraint to the lower carnal pleasures needed to marry the woman to control her. isnt that a lovely thought...

this idea that a man cant control his urges and a woman doenst like sex and shit isnt as old.

The motif of the slut who uses sex to fulfill her own lust for power is really old.
The female temptress, lilith, succubus, sirens, witches, the female vampire(well the female virginal victim became lustrous and dangerous, one bitten->deflowered..)jezebel, skylla, the sphinx, the femme fatale, the tempting enchantress, mohini, daij,salome, yakshi, qarînah, melusine, undine,(mermaids work on a different level) yuki onna, and and and..

every fucking culture in the world, in every fucking time had monstrous, murderous women, who used their sexuality to control men. that is a really really really old archetype and those are names and concept I remembered, and there are even more. (btw, the kitsune often showed up as a hot woman. There are for example, a lot of female demons in that list.
If I would search for men who use their sex as power, well I´d probably would find womanizing gods of greek and roman and norse pantheon-and surely there would be more in other as well, but those fuck for fun, they take women, like zeus took europa(and a lot more)or like the pans and satyrs who just like to have fun,
while the female figures often are out to destroy their victims, seldom they fall in love and get outed(like melusine) as "the other"woldsly being they are-which leads to either their death or the death of their lovers/family or else...

so well, for a long time it was the other way around... But not really better. sadly.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
In this case, "power" is holding a place in society where the prejudice can do actual damage to people, and right after that she points out that men possess far more power than the other genders. Both you and WhiteNachos have pretty much left this out of any response to her comment, and considering its importance to her comment, you aren't so much addressing her as your version of what she says.
I am getting into this argument late, so please forgive me if I am missing some context here when I respond to this point. I agree with you that the power part is important to her statement but that it's also a big reason why her statement is utterly wrong. The presumption that men can't/don't face institutionalized sexism because other men are in power is flat out, provably false. Just as women can be sexist against women, men can be sexist against men. "Her version" of what she says is wrong no matter what way you interpret it, whether one thinks she means any kind of sexism, institutionalized sexism or some other form of sexism. There is simply no kind of sexism that men do not face. Now we could discuss how various forms of sexism affect the sexes, what ways they are similar and different and bring out statistics to show what impact sexism might have on a person of given sex in a given situation, but the statement Anita made cannot be defended with any of that. Her statement is misinformed and sexist no matter which way you slice it.

Again, if I've missed something reading over the pages and the various talking pints, I do apologize. I do not intend to antagonize you by misrepresenting your point. Please correct me if I've done so.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Entitled said:
Rosiv said:
The quote reminds me of the phrase i hear about how: "Black people cant be racist because they are not the dominant race in society."

Even if its true by definition, similarly to Sarkeesian's quote, I think when people claim someone is being racist or being sexist, they really mean someone is being an arsehole.
I would disagree with that.

If I am randomly prejudiced against blonde people, I might be an asshole, but I'm not going to get attacked for being "haircolorist", because generally, there is no system called haircolorism with any power behind it, it's just me being an asshole.

The very reason why sexism, racism, religious bigotry, classism, homophobia, and similar issues are considered "social justice" issues, and spoken of as great evils, is that they are not invented by individual assholes, but examples of deep-seated historical injustices and oppressions.

If anyone would try to reverse them, and be a "heterophobe" or a "misandrist", or a "black supremacist", that might be an asshole, but it's JUST an asshole, and not really an example of a similar trend.

The whole "prejudice + power" thing is not just semantic, but an attempt to match the term with it's intuitive usage that is about social injustice, not random asshole behavior.
So to your quote above, why even focus on power when to prove power it can only be done contextually. Am i misunderstanding, because the way i parse it out, if a white gay man calls a black straight man a "n-word", where is the power difference in this scenario? Are we to assume that since the gay man is white, people will be on his side, since more of the USA is white. But how does that then take into the context of neighbors/people where the population is more heavily sided on black people. Or the prejudice that people have towards gay people, white or black?

The concept of power in my opinion is too arbitrary to be a focus in discussing any -"ism", and we should focus on the prejudices instead, for that we can combat with logical thinking. An obvious example would be, it is prejudice to assume that because a few black, or Muslims or gay people commit criminal act X, that most of their respective co-groups would do criminal act X. And that can be fixed by using proper logic to cut the fact from the "fiction" so to speak. I don't see any solutions to the concept of power dynamics here though.

I'm not well versed in Sociology, or whatever field race/gender/sexuality/identity "isms" fit into, so if I am getting anything basic wrong I apologize.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I think anyone that's using the "institutionalised" or "prejudice + power" definitions are missing the point.

Sexism IS NOT the prejudice of one gender by another. It is any kind of gender-based prejudice.

I am of the belief that most sexism towards males comes from other males (as men, for one reason or another have the greatest effect on western culture, though you can dispute that if you wish).

Similarly, women can be sexist towards other women (something I see frequently in sex-negative forms of feminism, for example).

People trying to divide sexism up just makes the problem more difficult to identify and address. Sexism breeds sexism, you won't be able to get rid of it unless you take a holistic approach to it.
I am inclined to agree with the thrust of your post here and I agree with the spirit of it, to be sure. I am not so inclined to agree that most sexism against men comes from other men. I would say that sexism is a cultural issue that infects most people. Sexism is such a broad thing that is so ingrained into so many people that any discussion of sexism has to come with specific context. This is why statements like the one Anita made are so wrong-headed. There are lots of different contexts in which her statement can be proved false and none (that I can think of) in which her statement could be considered correct.

Sexism is one of those things where any discussion has to involve people talking about it in the same scope. That's why it can be so hard to find meaningful discourse.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Gorrath said:
I am not so inclined to agree that most sexism against men comes from other men. I would say that sexism is a cultural issue that infects most people.
That is a very valid disagreement. I don't think men are more sexist than women, rather I think they're more likely to explicitly pressure men into fitting a certain form of masculinity than women are. You won't often see women beat the shit out of a man for "being a pussy" (though rest assured, that does happen sometimes).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
And you took my comment out of context. I said this in order to point out that the meaning behind her comment should be clear enough if you follow feminist writing, as it turns up a lot there. I did not say it in order to defend her position, only that others should put more effort into understanding it, as it doesn't require a lot of effort to begin with.
Sure, and I'm still going to continue pointing out that this coming up from time to time doesn't make it right or somehow different from what she said or that we're saying she said.

We didn't leave that out. We have touched on this directly by pointing out that women absolutely oversee positions of power in which their actions of sexism against males would entirely meet Anita's "Power+Prejudice" definition. However, the context and followups she provides indicates that she summarily dismisses that possibility because she views society as a whole to be male dominated and sexist against women. The article she linked to indicated that a woman could not be sexist if she is in a system which is sexist. She could posses gender-based prejudice, but Anita's claim is that this couldn't be sexism which most sane people would scoff at.

2. What do you believe she is actually saying? That society itself, the powers that be, are sexist against females and not males? That because there are more males in power that sexism can only lean towards females even though males routinely act kinder towards females at the cost of other males?
Note: Acting kindly is not a sign you aren't a sexist.
? I was literally saying that they were being sexist by showing kindness, aka preferential treatment towards one sex over another. So of course I get that acting kindly isn't a sign that someone isn't sexist.

I'm not entirely sure, but it probably comes from the way discussions regarding sexism and racism have shifted. Racism and sexism often don't describe single acts of discrimination. They are describing how institutions (i.e. society) leaves certain groups at a disadvantage. The problem with this element of racism and sexism is that it is significantly harder to deal with, since you can't simply point at a few people and say, "Don't give them power and we'll never deal with sexism again." If racism and sexism are ingrained into the society, then everyone in that society potentially has discriminatory viewpoints, and it is on everyone to analyze their own worldview and actions and deal with discriminatory aspects of them.
Racism and Sexism often do describe single acts of discrimination. "Racist" and "Sexist" are terms thrown around like harpoons all the time every time we see individual examples of it. How are you claiming that it is not commonly used both for specific situations as well as the loftier philosophical but not-necessarily specific topics?

Both are common usages and Anita is specifically trying to redefine sexism by women as gender-based prejudice rather than sexism. She is redefining the specifics rather than merely the loftier institutional form.

The thing is, then it isn't to justify Anita's position. If sexism is a problem with society's view of women, then you aren't far from finding a way to justify saying that men can't face it. Yes, men can face the problems associated with sexism, but the sexism itself, at least as society is concerned, is directed towards women.
No, society absolutely directs sexism towards both men and women. Again, here are a few ways that men deal with sexism as reinforced by society:

Instances of Institutional Sexism and Social Sexism:
-Men are expected to be the one who pays for date nights even though women have full access to income now.
-In some countries (UK, for the most recent example) and certain industries, men ages 20-30 make less than their female counterparts without any explanation besides sexism. This is largely ignored because the disparity flips at older age ranges as other factors start to take effect.
-Men are commonly shown less compassion than females starting at an early age.
-A blind eye is frequently turned towards men who suffer from domestic violence regarding women who hit men while a spotlight is shone on men who hit women. (I have been in an abusive relationship where the girl would full-out punch me, knowing that even though I am immensely stronger than her that I would not strike back because of gender roles. It is not socially acceptable for me to acknowledge it or that it does hurt both emotionally and physically even though it may not hurt as much physically as a dude my size taking the swing)
-Men are expected to work longer hours, relocate more frequently, take on more dangerous assignments, in addition to keeping a smaller portion of their check due to common obligations (for example, I pay my household's bills out of my paycheck while my wife's paycheck is for spending and savings, this is a common practice in which males may not have as ready access to their partner's bank account as I do)
-Men are required to sign up for military draft and women are not.
-Men are expected to risk their lives in situations of confrontation or danger to protect others.
-Men have fewer scholarship opportunities than women to the point that women graduating with degrees now outweigh males graduating with degrees.
-Aside from just domestic violence, it is more socially acceptable for violence to occur against men than it is against women (For example, GTA 5 was not taken off the shelves of target and kmart because of violence against people, it was removed for violence against women even though GTA's story-based violence is almost entirely against men if not entirely so. This sends the message that Target and Kmart are ok with violence against men)
-Women get preferential treatment in custody hearings and divorce settlements.
-Males are expected to be taller, smarter, more athletic and make more money than his spouse and is thought less of when he fails in any of those areas.
-Males are conditioned to reject expressing their feelings in traditionally feminine ways.
-Males are significantly more likely to commit suicide than females (4 times more likely). Most of the reasons for this disparity are generally considered social pressures and expectations that place men at a disadvantage where seeking social support is concerned.
-Male on male violence is treated as a sport and men who don't participate in it are frequently looked down on by their peers.
-While males do suffer rape (particularly in prison), there is even more stigma towards males admitting it than females due to the additional societal demand of males not showing weakness.
-There are certain jobs that men are still looked down on as being feminine, very similar to jobs that women are culturally discouraged from taking. (I have a personal story to tell you about the time I made straight-As in premed before announcing that I was interested in becoming a Nurse for a few years before going full-doctor. It may be telling that I am now in computer sciences as to how that announcement turned out)
-Light forms of male subservience (helping others carry heavy objects, opening a door, etc) are seen as chivalrous/gentlemanly and not generally required to be reciprocated.
-Men who commit the same crime a woman commits will face harsher punishments.
-Males are expected to forgo basic comforts so that women can enjoy them (sitting down, going first in line or through a door, and various small but still existent things).

Men and women are both on the receiving end of sexism by our culture. Pretending like it's all just one sided is showing an extreme case of ignorance towards it. I think it is also ignorant to stereotype men as being privileged just because of their gender. In most cases, wealth is a far greater indication of privilege than gender.

Now, there is a lot of merit in understanding the underlying problems in society and viewing discrimination as more of a society problem rather than just "Y said something bad about X." It at least gives us an underlying explanation to the discrimination that we see in studies. With that said, activists like Sarkeesian are so shit at explaining this that no one would actually know that's what they are talking about. Instead, they choose to use terms that have one meaning in one circle and a different meaning in another, and it just leads to confusion like this.
Taking a grand view at sexism is missing the trees for the forest. A society problem is just a set made up of all of those "Y said something bad about X". The forest does not exist without the trees and to say that society has no prejudices towards men is wrong.

But with all that said: Yes, a woman can show hate towards a man under the simple pretext of him being a man. But no, that does not mean that we just suddenly act like sexism, as far as society is concerned, is somehow just as bad for men. It's incredibly gendered, and men, as a whole, are in a significantly better position than the other genders. Granted, the fact that we are now starting to see the way men are harmed by sexist views of women may do some good in getting more men to care about these issues.
Listen very carefully to this if you don't pay attention to anything else (not that I'm accusing you of not paying attention, just stressing the importance of this point of clarification of position): I am in no way trying to say that men have it exactly as bad as women or worse nor would I even know how to evaluate whether or not that is the case. I am not trying to trivialize sexism in any way and fully believe that sexism is a problem.

What I am saying, is that a popular feminist has crossed the line in saying that sexism towards men does not exist. If you can focus on that sentence then maybe you can evaluate whether or not we are talking past each other and agree. Perhaps you're concerned that agreeing with me somehow detracts from feminism or the need to pursue equality. I feel like acknowledging that anyone can face it should only add to the gravitas of the problem elevate the need to strive for social equality.

Otherwise, what good can come of me advocating for women's rights if all the same stereotypes and obligations placed on men are just going to stick around for me at the end of the tunnel? At this point, all I have to go on is that it is the right thing to do and that is enough for me personally. But to hear feminists regularly trivialize sexism and racism we face? Shame on them, those who claim to struggle in the name of equality.

It's incredibly gendered, and men, as a whole, are in a significantly better position than the other genders.
It would be interesting to evaluate this in terms of modern institutions and regulations. Are men in a better position simply because they are men or are the current statistics a remnant of an culture that is only a few decades removed by regulation and hard fought legal battles. For example, when we look at the wage gap in the tech industry do we take into account that just a couple decades ago computer enthusiasts were stereotyped as "gross neckbearded male nerds" and that those are decades where the males grew in experience and training that women who entered late have to catch up to? Perhaps women being so close and in some ways out earning men into that 20-30 year-old demographic is more of an indication that the playing field is currently level as equal access to education and training are now available to all as well as general public acceptance of personal career choices. Perhaps as this generation grows we will see the nearly non-existent gap grow with us.

Additionally, how would we begin to evaluate what constitutes a "better position"? I would consider legislation and general societal pressure to hire a more diverse workforce and to give minorities and women preferential treatment to be a sort of advantage. I would consider a wider range of access to scholarships to be an advantage. I had to earn my scholarships through my grades and SAT scores. I only got my current job by passing an exhaustive 2-hour long aptitude test and was immediately hired as the only person that passed it in the time frame needed. So I will refute the claim that I was in a better position merely because I am male.

See, this is an issue. This is stereotyping in assuming that men have a better shot at things just because we're male. For some things, that's statistically true but that's also statistically true for women in other areas. Women have the public sector and social work in spades, for example, which is cited as a major reason in the UK why women ages 20-30 were out earning their male counterparts.

So assuming that just because my genitals are external that life is my oyster just hasn't been my experience. In most cases I've been treated badly for my gender rather than positively. Maybe this was the case for my father and men before him. But I just haven't seen it, I'm sorry and I think that's worth closer scrutiny before moving forward.

Lightknight said:
Thanks. I'll try to get around to that later. Again, I don't have much time right now. Hopefully, I have time later. (Sorry, end of semester. You can probably imagine what my schedule is like now, but I don't want to leave people hanging.)
It is that time of year and I certainly remember the stress. Good luck on your papers/tests/etc.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Gorrath said:
I am not so inclined to agree that most sexism against men comes from other men. I would say that sexism is a cultural issue that infects most people.
That is a very valid disagreement. I don't think men are more sexist than women, rather I think they're more likely to explicitly pressure men into fitting a certain form of masculinity than women are. You won't often see women beat the shit out of a man for "being a pussy" (though rest assured, that does happen sometimes).
I suppose that depends on what you mean by "explicit." You may be able to show that you won't often see a woman beating the shit out of a man for not being "masculine" enough. But what you may find are other forms of coercion more commonly employed by women when they don't think a male in their life is acting according to a sexist standard they hold for that man.

A mother may not strike her son, or even belittle him for not fitting into a certain role she has for him, but she may find other ways to coerce the boy into doing things the way she thinks a boy "should." A girlfriend may not beat on him but she may degrade him verbally. His buddies may give him a shove and laugh at him. An enemy may beat him up and call him a pussy. All of these people are expressing their dislike of his behavior explicitly but differently and all of them are doing it because they have a certain standard of behavior they expect from him that's based on a sexist view. The more violent of these acts may not even be the ones that hurt him the most.

That's why I don't think it's so much a case that men are more or less often to experience sexism from other men but rather everyone is likely to experience sexism in different ways depending on context. The man who gets a harsh jail sentence from a male judge isn't just being subjected to the sexism of the judge but also the pervasive sexism inherent in society. The judge sees the male criminal different than the female criminal because of how a great deal of society views men and women both. This is why I don't buy into definitions of sexism that try to make it out to be a problem caused by a certain gender and their power or only experienced by a certain gender and their lack of it. Every case has its own context, its own scope and its own power dynamics.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Gorrath said:
It seems to happen in other ways and has for some time. There have been major case studies regarding the great depression where women harassed and publicly shamed their husbands for not being good providers and suicides soared.

We're regularly on the receiving end of sexism from both genders. Asshole men demanding we be what they imagine a man to be like you said, but women too. Women who expect us to pay for date night and automatically assume we're just in it to get into their pants. We live in a society where some women consider us sexist bigots for holding a door open and other women who consider us ungentlemanly for the same. I've had women ask me for help carrying things one day only to get onto me for holding the door open the next (funny thing is that I was holding it open for my friend that was behind her, but whatever, still would have done so for her). I regularly see women poking and prodding men, even physically assaulting them under the assumption that they won't hit back and, honestly, they're usually right.

My experience at the hand of sexism have been far more regularly dealt by women than by men. But, that is only my experience. Do you as a man or woman disagree?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Lightknight said:
This doesn't harm the cause of equality itself, but it should certainly tarnish her own personal reputation.
This is a semantic argument. And this is relevant to her professional reputation, not personal.